Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The decline of music quality
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:25

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
Mr.D
I recently bought a new bluray player so I could enjoy listening to DVD-A and SACD through HDMI and I have to say I am STUNNED by how wonderful most of them sound!There's a group of fans who upconvert nearly anything to DVD-A using mostly Japanese vinyl as their source, I'm going crazy downloading DVD-A a SACD files from various torrent sites. Here's the Amazon review of the player I bought that has brought this magic into my life:

[www.amazon.com]

I just wanted to out myself as a cheap bastard, and while I could spend $500 for a blu-ray player, to play my SACD's, I choose not to. With that disclosure, do you know if all Blu-ray players will play SACD's? I have no interest in Blu-Ray in and of itself...I see it as last year's technology, but I'd happily buy a cheap one to play my SACD's and hear what I've been missing!

I recommend to you that a stand-alone SACD player is the best.
However, this may be another option. smiling smiley
Sony BDP-S480
[www.techradar.com]

Thanks Toru, I think you've made a suggestion for me in this regard before. The only SACD's I have are the Rolling Stones 2002 catalogue, so I'm loath to spend a large amount on a format that hasn't really caught on. I was thinking that a Blu-Ray would at least give me a DVD and Blu-Ray play option as well.

Do you think there would there be any sound difference?

treaclefingers,
I can't judge sound difference by the one player because it depends on the whole hi-fi system.
Considering your needs I think universal players like this Sony BDP-S480 is cost-effective option. It's highly-regarded in our country.thumbs up

Great, I understand your point and thanks for the tip. I imagine the universal player will be better than the Sony CD player I have now, and I could always upgrade again in the future. Thanks again Toru!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:47

..... THE AGE -------- 27 Feb 2012

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:49

........ The Herald Sun --- 28 Feb 2012

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2012 02:50

treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
Mr.D
I recently bought a new bluray player so I could enjoy listening to DVD-A and SACD through HDMI and I have to say I am STUNNED by how wonderful most of them sound!There's a group of fans who upconvert nearly anything to DVD-A using mostly Japanese vinyl as their source, I'm going crazy downloading DVD-A a SACD files from various torrent sites. Here's the Amazon review of the player I bought that has brought this magic into my life:

[www.amazon.com]

I just wanted to out myself as a cheap bastard, and while I could spend $500 for a blu-ray player, to play my SACD's, I choose not to. With that disclosure, do you know if all Blu-ray players will play SACD's? I have no interest in Blu-Ray in and of itself...I see it as last year's technology, but I'd happily buy a cheap one to play my SACD's and hear what I've been missing!

I recommend to you that a stand-alone SACD player is the best.
However, this may be another option. smiling smiley
Sony BDP-S480
[www.techradar.com]

Thanks Toru, I think you've made a suggestion for me in this regard before. The only SACD's I have are the Rolling Stones 2002 catalogue, so I'm loath to spend a large amount on a format that hasn't really caught on. I was thinking that a Blu-Ray would at least give me a DVD and Blu-Ray play option as well.

Do you think there would there be any sound difference?

treaclefingers,
I can't judge sound difference by the one player because it depends on the whole hi-fi system.
Considering your needs I think universal players like this Sony BDP-S480 is cost-effective option. It's highly-regarded in our country.thumbs up

Great, I understand your point and thanks for the tip. I imagine the universal player will be better than the Sony CD player I have now, and I could always upgrade again in the future. Thanks again Toru!

OK Toru...the deed is done. I purchased the Sony BDP-S380 today, for only $89...quite astonishingly cheap. It is one step down from the one you suggested. The one you suggest, the S480 is the 3D option, and as I don't care about 3D, and don't intend ever buying a 3D TV, for me it was not necessary. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction though.

It seems to have all kinds of 'extras' that I didn't even care about, like wireless internet access for Netflix and Youtube, and USB ports, in addition to the DVD & Blu Ray.

All I actually want is the SACD playback ability. I can't even listen to it right yet because the kids are watching TV...off to bed they must go!

Thanks again.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 4, 2012 03:46

To my ears, the late 80s, the 90s and beyond have been totally without intriguing musical matters. A fair principle in art has become my worst enemy, namely the fact that everybody are standing on the shoulders of the previous generation. To my ears, this has only lead to endless R&B wailing, a pletoria of female artists, and a jungle of subgenres, unknown names, songs and average blah, blah, blah...

Maybe it started in the late 80s/early 90s when young people suddenly wanted to sound like The Velvet Underground or Syd Barret...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home