Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT - Madonna at halftime Superbowl
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 7, 2012 02:27

24FPS
sweetcharmedlife
...idiot rapper....

Sure she is. She should be dismissed. She's not an artist. She can't possibly be important. That's why the U.S. Government fought to keep her out, and failed. M.I.A. matters. How many recording artists can you say that about these days?

The US tried to deny her visa? Really?
But to say she is one of the few recording artists that matters? That is a big stretch my friend...I can think of many more that are far more intriguing and talented and that "matter" than a rehash of the same old rap shtick.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 7, 2012 02:39

I thought the whole thing was a bit of a train wreck, but SB halftime shows generally fit that bill. She did come across as a bit rickety, which will be explained away from her hammy (a bit ironic given the number of guys on the field who played through it), but how much can you stuff into a few minutes?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 7, 2012 02:58

the problem with some of the halftime performers is that they think the super bowl is about them,well its about the teams playing ok, and to stoop so low that the highlight of your show is an unknown rap star giving the finger just shows how desperate they really are

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: February 7, 2012 03:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-17 20:01 by misterfrias.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 7, 2012 03:50

Out of all of it, like the Sicilian, I did like Vogue the best, and thought it went downhill from there.

Some of the special effects looked to be computer-generated at the end.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 7, 2012 03:55

Thought that Madonna would have opted for the pink mic

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 7, 2012 04:03

whitem8
24FPS
sweetcharmedlife
...idiot rapper....

Sure she is. She should be dismissed. She's not an artist. She can't possibly be important. That's why the U.S. Government fought to keep her out, and failed. M.I.A. matters. How many recording artists can you say that about these days?

The US tried to deny her visa? Really?
But to say she is one of the few recording artists that matters? That is a big stretch my friend...I can think of many more that are far more intriguing and talented and that "matter" than a rehash of the same old rap shtick.

She doesn't just rehash the old rap shtick, this BRITISH subject. (I was just trying to see if that racist idiot would dig himself in even deeper). She's creating international music that means something across the world. And you can dance to it. With all due respect, tell me who is on the scene these days is 'far more intriguing and talented' and aren't just rehashing rock already done 40 years ago?

Date: February 7, 2012 04:17

More interesting than her rap???
Arcade Fire
The Black Keys
I am not a fan, but Kings of Leon
and a whole host of new music that sounds great. You want rap? Go to the original rappers...Dylan, Lou Reed, and John Lee Hookersmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 04:19 by whitem8.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 7, 2012 04:32

Melillo- you are right on the money. crying shame of a so called performance. awful. i know it would suck when i didnt see a band. could have played an 8 minute video instead.

Date: February 7, 2012 04:42

whitem8
More interesting than her rap???
Arcade Fire
The Black Keys
I am not a fan, but Kings of Leon
and a whole host of new music that sounds great. You want rap? Go to the original rappers...Dylan, Lou Reed, and John Lee Hookersmileys with beer

I said who doesn't rehash music made 40 years ago. The Black Keys are just retreads, along the lines of the Black Crowes. And I didn't say more interesting than her rap. She incorporates rap in her sound, but the tracks behind it are fresh, exciting, and not samples. So.....I'm still waiting to hear who these exciting, FRESH sounding music artists are. That matter.

Date: February 7, 2012 05:14

Well the definition of "matter" is in your opinion. And most taste is based on personal opinion. I for one, prefer anything to do with rock and roll more than the current rechristened R and B that doesn't sound anything remotely like R and B should sound. Now while The Black Keys may sound like retreads to you, they are fresh and current, and a two piece band making some damn fine rock and blues. They aren't retreads but as with all music using the past to bridge to the present and doing it very effectively. Arcade Fire? Well they are very fresh sounding and interesting. I don't like all their stuff, but respect what they are doing.
Again, I don't find anything exciting about a British rap star trying to sound like she has street cred and cranking out stylized slick "R and B" with Rap injected to make it more palatable for the masses of teenies...it is a tired act that goes for the lowest common denominator. And talk about retreads? What makes her any different from the mass of new "R and B"/rap artists that all pretty much sound the same...

Man, I am sorry but I tried to even give her the benefit of the doubt and checked out her music on Youtube. I find it grating, annoyingly simple, and mostly a commercial cheer leader for bad vacuous music. I would much rather have a frontal lobotomy before listening so I don't feel like I am at Gitmo being reprogrammed to appreciate the modern incarnation of "R and B". That stuff doesn't matter to me or millions of rock fans out there...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 05:37 by whitem8.

Date: February 7, 2012 05:43

whitem8
Well the definition of "matter" is in your opinion. And most taste is based on personal opinion. I for one, prefer anything to do with rock and roll more than the current rechristened R and B that doesn't sound anything remotely like R and B should sound. Now while The Black Keys may sound like retreads to you, they are fresh and current, and a two piece band making some damn fine rock and blues. They aren't retreads but as with all music using the past to bridge to the present and doing it very effectively. Arcade Fire? Well they are very fresh sounding and interesting. I don't like all their stuff, but respect what they are doing.
Again, I don't find anything exciting about a British rap star trying to sound like she has street cred and cranking out stylized slick "R and B" with Rap injected to make it more palatable for the masses of teenies...it is a tired act that goes for the lowest common denominator. And talk about retreads? What makes her any different from the mass of new "R and B"/rap artists that all pretty much sound the same...

First off the doesn't TRY to sound like she has street cred. She HAS street cred. I'm not sure you're that familiar with her work, or the sounds of one of her partners in crime, Santigold. M.I.A. is a Sri Lankan who fights for her people, the Tamils.

Maybe the Black Keys sound fresh to someone who wasn't around in the 60s, but to someone who was they just sound like every Midwest/Northwest U.S. garage band. Nothing new to their sound. They're no different than the Sonics from the 60s, except the Black Keys have to work really hard to get that sound that's already been done.

I just don't get off on rock nostalgia acts. At least Jack White gives Led Zeppelin a modern twist. I've given the Black Keys a couple listens and I get it now, they made rock and roll that's more palatable for the teenies, a tired act that goes for the lowest common denominator, instead of achieving anything new. I love rock and roll, but once you get past the Foo Fighters, there's not much out there.

Date: February 7, 2012 06:14

Well you said all you can when you said "once you get past the Foo Fighters"...another corporate rock group making safe sounds. But I struggle to understand the appeal of MIA for someone who says they like rock? Really?
Fair enough, she had some tough knocks during the war in SL. But that doesn't make her music any better. Funny though that you didn't have an original retort other than reusing my words and injecting The Black Keys, quite ironic.
Jack White is great, and I look forward to hearing what he comes up with on his new album. And there are a lot of other udnerappreciated groups out there making some vital and fun rock and roll. With a lot more depth and substance than MIA psuedo R and B/rap.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 7, 2012 06:38

I don't M.I.A. "matters" nor do I like anything about her "music. And guess what? I'm not a racist. I just don't like her or what she does.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 7, 2012 07:32

Well, ultimately I think nowadays the half-time show is all about generating eye candy for your HD TV. At least that's what it felt like for me.

The biggest star of the show was the video-wall stage.

Madonna looked stiff and uncomfortable. She was just the centerpiece in a giant exercise in creating eye candy for the camera. It's like the director swallowed her up and she was nothing more than a piece in a storyboard that was constructed for her.

In a way it felt like Madonna's swan song to me. She did the show "25 years late." There was none of the spark and unpredictability around that was associated with Madonna from a whole generation ago.

How could Madonna have really "shocked" and "gone against the grain?" It would have been to go out and actually perform music. To give a _performance_. But like I said, she is way past her shelf life,

Madonna was like a marionette in that show, just a little programmed robot going from point A to point B.

It's really hard to find the right recipe for a half-time show. This show was all eye candy and no soul and there certainly was no "Madonna buzz" happening.

I am clueless about the other people performing with her.

When I think about what was presented, it makes me think that Lady GaGa is going to get stale pretty soon also.

BACK TO FOLK MUSIC!!!! LOL

MileHigh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 07:33 by MileHigh.

Date: February 7, 2012 08:54

whitem8
Well you said all you can when you said "once you get past the Foo Fighters"...another corporate rock group making safe sounds. But I struggle to understand the appeal of MIA for someone who says they like rock? Really?
Fair enough, she had some tough knocks during the war in SL. But that doesn't make her music any better. Funny though that you didn't have an original retort other than reusing my words and injecting The Black Keys, quite ironic.
Jack White is great, and I look forward to hearing what he comes up with on his new album. And there are a lot of other udnerappreciated groups out there making some vital and fun rock and roll. With a lot more depth and substance than MIA psuedo R and B/rap.

I re-used your own words to make a point. If M.I.A. is making safe records for teenies, then so is the Black Keys. And I think the Black Keys are making much safer records than M.I.A. Rock & Roll is just a sliver of the music I like. Which is also true of the Rolling Stones. They made an entire album without one rock and roll song on it. (SMR)

For me rock and roll is dead. Like jazz, it petered out. The Stones sound better now when they play blues than when they play rock. I've said it before but I wish young wanna be rockers would set down the guitars and go discover something new, with different instruments. Rock and Roll has been done a thousand times better than they are ever going to do it. Kurt Cobain pretty much snuffed out the candle.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 7, 2012 08:56

a live performance prerecorded isn't a live performance.give her a 10 on a 1-10 scale of suckiness. if she were food she would be suckitash. did i say that before? sorry.

john fogerty or john mellencamp would have been my choices.

Date: February 7, 2012 09:26

whitem8

since when were the foo fighters a corporate rock band? their first album was pretty much a demo and no record label wanted them. its only funny now that so many bands try to sound like the foo fighters and get signed like that when in fact no label wanted the foo's at first because no one sounded like that

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 7, 2012 09:29

Midnight Toker
a live performance prerecorded isn't a live performance.give her a 10 on a 1-10 scale of suckiness. if she were food she would be suckitash. did i say that before? sorry.

john fogerty or john mellencamp would have been my choices.

Yep, I think Fogerty would have been very good.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 7, 2012 09:59

I still like the Stones Halftime show much better. especially the tongue shaped stage and at least they played and sang live on stage. Madonna was like a robot shaped human twisting arms and legs to erotic positions.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 7, 2012 09:59

I want Chaz and Dave to do the next one.

No-nonsense cockney knees up at half time.

That would be the best thing ever.

Date: February 7, 2012 10:35

keefriffhard4life
whitem8

since when were the foo fighters a corporate rock band? their first album was pretty much a demo and no record label wanted them. its only funny now that so many bands try to sound like the foo fighters and get signed like that when in fact no label wanted the foo's at first because no one sounded like that

They are a pale shadow of what Nirvana was. Corporate, they sound like it. Like hard rock painting by numbers. Every album sounds the same with the same punchy glossy production and really not much grit to them at all. Yeah, they have loud heavy guitars, but really not a lot of soul to them. I think Grohl is a great musician, and very talented, but man, there stuff just sounds like commercial cookie cutter hard rock. But hey, if you are into them, and MIA, cool! Great! Enjoy.

"suckitash..." That is hilarious stuff midnight toker! Very good!

Date: February 7, 2012 11:10

whitem8
keefriffhard4life
whitem8

They are a pale shadow of what Nirvana was. Corporate, they sound like it. Like hard rock painting by numbers. Every album sounds the same with the same punchy glossy production and really not much grit to them at all. Yeah, they have loud heavy guitars, but really not a lot of soul to them. I think Grohl is a great musician, and very talented, but man, there stuff just sounds like commercial cookie cutter hard rock. But hey, if you are into them, and MIA, cool! Great! Enjoy.

"suckitash..." That is hilarious stuff midnight toker! Very good!

did you read what i said? of course they sound generic now because every band is copying them. they were one of the first "post grunge hard rock acts" around.the very first album is literally a demo with dave grohl playing everything except on 1 song.

Date: February 7, 2012 11:19

Ah, yeah, so your saying their sound inspired the generic sound? Would that be because it sounded generic in the first place?? Come on...their stuff is just not that interesting. Grohl is a much better drummer and side man than he is as a front man.

Date: February 7, 2012 11:32

whitem8
Ah, yeah, so your saying their sound inspired the generic sound? Would that be because it sounded generic in the first place?? Come on...their stuff is just not that interesting. Grohl is a much better drummer and side man than he is as a front man.

i'm saying once you flood the market place with hundreds of knockoff bands things sound generic. another example. in 1986 KISS sounded like any other hard rock act that came from the sunset strip yet they pre date any of these acts by more than a decade. if you didn't know that and had never heard of KISS you would think they were just another band from hollywood that started up in the early 80's

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 11:33 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: February 7, 2012 12:30

Again it comes down to different tastes and I just don't jive with KISS and FOO Fighters. No soul, they don't move me. And I am not convinced Foo Fighters don't sound generic. They do to my ears and never jelled. As I said, Grohl is a great musician, but much better as a side man than a front man. His stuff all sounds the same. But he is great with Them Crooked Vultures, Petty, and anyone else I have heard him play with. Kiss...well, I won't even travel down that road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 12:39 by whitem8.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 7, 2012 13:45

24FPS
So.....I'm still waiting to hear who these exciting, FRESH sounding music artists are. That matter.

Check out Grand Corps Malade. thumbs up

Date: February 7, 2012 13:52

Gazza
steel driving hammer
I didn't see any men with musical instruments...

You didnt see any backing singers at the Stones' Superbowl performance either.

You heard them, though.

Wait wait wait, don't know if I heard them.

Just watched it, no singers.

Were they under they stage too? lol

Gazza w/ the cold hard truth again...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2012 14:17

steel driving hammer
Gazza
steel driving hammer
I didn't see any men with musical instruments...

You didnt see any backing singers at the Stones' Superbowl performance either.

You heard them, though.

Wait wait wait, don't know if I heard them.

Just watched it, no singers.

Were they under they stage too? lol

Gazza w/ the cold hard truth again...

Listen again. Lisa Fischer is quite audible.

Yes, they were under the stage.

Date: February 7, 2012 14:20

No, I did listen, I heard them!

Truth is stranger than fiction...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home