Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Does charlie have a point here - Has it got to a point where the stones will look silly doing 'it'?
Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:15

First thirty seconds is what I'm interested in

Re: Does charlie have a point here - Has it got to a point where the stones will look silly doing 'it'?
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:21

Does charlie have a point here - Has it got to a point where the stones will look silly doing 'it'?

No. And who cares ?
We are talking about music here...it takes ears to enjoy, not eyes.
If somebody is worried about what singerslook like..there´s bands and singers for teenagers somewhere out there, maybe in american idol shows, etc...but this is rock n roll.

Re: Does charlie have a point here - Has it got to a point where the stones will look silly doing 'it'?
Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:26

Well I think people do care. I for one don't want to see the Stones looking too old/silly doing it. Thats not to say that I think they will if they tour 2012/13, but anytime after that, I think there could be a real risk of that happening. Unless they scaled it right down, but I think they will probably pack up after 'one more time'.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:32

They haven't looked "silly" in any past tours and they've still gotten away with it. I'm not saying that I'm all for Mick's obnoxious Vegas glitter jackets but the band is basically still physically fit..no one's limping, no one's using a cane etc. Until any of that happens, the illusion of them being fit to tour will still be there (and as along as Mick, Keith and Ronnie continue to dye thier hair, of course).

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:35

Well, if you put it this way: they have been a nostalgia act since 1989. 2/3 of the set list has been the same over those years. I can't see why they should look more silly in 2012 than in 2007.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:57

plus... it's BECAUSE of the Stones that so many other old rockers DON'T look silly while still going at it. Seriously! No one is giving Vana Halen or Black Sabbath the gears today lik The Stones in 1989. Hell, the guys in U2 are older now than The Stones were in 1989. For the masses and casual fans, their longevity has been more significant than their musical output since then.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 3, 2012 02:04

jamesfdouglas
plus... it's BECAUSE of the Stones that so many other old rockers DON'T look silly while still going at it. Seriously! No one is giving Vana Halen or Black Sabbath the gears today lik The Stones in 1989. Hell, the guys in U2 are older now than The Stones were in 1989. For the masses and casual fans, their longevity has been more significant than their musical output since then.

an incredibly lucid observation

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 02:10

The Stones looked silly when they were young. Mick has always looked outageously silly. It's part of the fun. If they were worried about being to old to rock. That ship sailed years ago. The general public is still on board with going to see them. It seems like if this were something they worried about, they should have addressed it years ago. We've already seen them playing as old men, can't really harm their legacy any more by this point. Whatever damage may or may not have been done, is done by this stage.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2012 02:10

jamesfdouglas
For the masses and casual fans, their longevity has been more significant than their musical output since then.

but there's precious little that is less significant than their output the last 20+ years....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 3, 2012 03:08

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas

an incredibly lucid observation

Gracias, Merci
smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 3, 2012 05:56

For starters, I'm pretty sure this 60 minute segment is at least 15 years old...maybe more. The thing is - and I think Keith says this somewhere - no one has ever done this in rock n' roll...stayed around this long. There's no rule book for this. It happens with jazz - I saw Miles Davis a couple of times when he was in his 60s and he was great. I don't see why the Stones can't shouldn't perform. But it should be done with class. Smaller venues would be great; but as much as I'd love to see it, I don't believe they can satisfy their fans this way. However, a mix of large stadium and small arenas would be ideal.

I certainly hope when I'm in 70s, I'm still rocking drinking smiley

I Just Want to See His Face

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 3, 2012 06:00

Always the ageist crap. They've told you for years that the old bluesmen didn't give a crap about age, and now THEY are the old bluesmen. I've watched Bobby Blue Bland as his ravaged voice shredded as he tried to hit the old high notes. Watched Muddy Waters and then John Lee Hooker perform from chairs on the stage. Keith's fingers lost their nimbleness a long, long time ago. There's a certain pop missing in Charlie's drumming. The elasticity is waning in Mick's voice. I don't care. I will go and see these old bluesmen and hear them wring the last wine from the grapes. It would be silly of me not to go see them.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 3, 2012 07:02

I simply don't want to see the Rolling Stones performing at 75 years old. Life has inescapable phases.

They have been saying that they were too old for being rock and rollers since 1972. It's a young man's game. It has to kick in at some point.

The more I think about it the best ending for the Rolling Stones would be a last few big shows and then put it to sleep. One in South America, one in North America, one in Asia, and then the finale in London. Bill and the other Mick can show up for the last show.

Each show should be televised live world-wide, not pay-per-view, but FREE, paid for by the TV advertizing. Tickets for the concerts should be $20 just to cover the huge costs to set them up. Altamont overturned in the 21st cetury. A series of free live virtual concerts with the best seat in the house.

I think that would be a fiting end, and when you think if it, true to the tradition of the Rolling Stones where they always outdoo everybody else. This time they would be seting the high water mark for going out with a bang.

And think of the fans world wide. You get to see the Rolling Stones perform live for free in HD with surround sound four times over the span of six weeks. They could make some interesting set lists for sure.

I think that would be great. Four free shows on TV all across the world for the fans. All in high definition with surround sound. The last big blast from the "Youth Generation," time to pass on the baton.

What a fitting greatest finale of all time for the greatest rock and roll band in the world. I might even cry at the end of the last show. Tears of joy for all the entertainment they gave us and tears of sorrow that we can't all be young forever. The ultimate Puff the Magic Dragon moment.

MileHigh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 07:04 by MileHigh.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: February 3, 2012 07:54

Right On! I couldn't agree more with this...
24FPS
Always the ageist crap. They've told you for years that the old bluesmen didn't give a crap about age, and now THEY are the old bluesmen. I've watched Bobby Blue Bland as his ravaged voice shredded as he tried to hit the old high notes. Watched Muddy Waters and then John Lee Hooker perform from chairs on the stage. Keith's fingers lost their nimbleness a long, long time ago. There's a certain pop missing in Charlie's drumming. The elasticity is waning in Mick's voice. I don't care. I will go and see these old bluesmen and hear them wring the last wine from the grapes. It would be silly of me not to go see them.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 07:58

Yeah, indeed 24FPS, very good post. It is ridiculous. They should go on as long as they want to and care to. I would love to see them scale the "show" back a bit. and do smaller venues, and more stripped down. But what the hell, it is The Stones, I will see them any way or where I can. Why? Because it is F U N!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2012 08:00

I will go and see these old bluesmen and hear them wring the last wine from the grapes.

.............Hey I'm drinkin' with you cat ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 3, 2012 08:07

The Stones know all this. They will adjust.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 3, 2012 08:48

Juniorjackflash
Well I think people do care. I for one don't want to see the Stones looking too old/silly doing it. Thats not to say that I think they will if they tour 2012/13, but anytime after that, I think there could be a real risk of that happening. Unless they scaled it right down, but I think they will probably pack up after 'one more time'.

I thought Mick just have to stop that jumping around already 1982...a paragon is Bob Dylan..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 12:08

I think the Stones have done a good job of "growing up" on stage and not trying to look like they're twenty years old anymore. Mick knows he would look ridiculous in a sequined jump suit at his age and we haven't seen him dressed like that in ages have we? Based on the last tour, Mick knows his limits and doesn't swing his hips and sashay around like he did in '75. He still had plenty of energy but his performance looked to me like a mature entertainer doing what he knows he can do well and look good doing it. At this point everyone knows it's really all about the songs and the music and no one in the Stones is going to prance around like a bunch of kids. Keith may show up with his grey hair sticking up with stuff dangling from it, but that's just Keith being Keith.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 3, 2012 12:57

The Stones looked great in the nineties, but Charlie has a point, I do not think that a new tour would be a smart option.

Date: February 3, 2012 15:16

Well, the fishing lures looked silly and the Errol Flynn moustache looked silly. That's really about it.

Date: February 3, 2012 16:16

As the Stones get older, so do we so just because we are getting older it doesnt mean we shut down, we adjust to the physical limitations and do what we can as best as we can do it. KEEF said at the 05 Press Conference when asked by a reporter if ABB was the last tour, and KEEF answered we will never stop touring until one of us drops dead on the stage. So until one of them dies, dreadfully, the band will continue touring. So Long Live The Stones!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:30

What Glitter jackets are you referring to, Justin?? Mick hasn't worn glitter in decades!! Sure, he wears an " outfit" for SFTD but that's always a production number...outside of that, he's been wearing black pants and a plain shirt for years. I do hope that he runs around less, more for his own sake than how it looks. I wouldn't worry about them looking " silly", I worry that they'll tire out too quickly.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:55

Two Words:
Willie Nelson

Wait Four Words:
Willie Nelson
Hubert Sumlin (only recently deceased)

Wait Six Words:
Willie Nelson
Hubert Sumlin
Joe Ely

Wait Eight Words....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2012 17:01

you can always just close your eyes

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 3, 2012 17:34

One more curtail call/victory lap would be @#$%& great, if it happens.
But that's all that there is left to do.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 3, 2012 17:53

MileHigh
I simply don't want to see the Rolling Stones performing at 75 years old. Life has inescapable phases.

They have been saying that they were too old for being rock and rollers since 1972. It's a young man's game. It has to kick in at some point.

The more I think about it the best ending for the Rolling Stones would be a last few big shows and then put it to sleep. One in South America, one in North America, one in Asia, and then the finale in London. Bill and the other Mick can show up for the last show.

Each show should be televised live world-wide, not pay-per-view, but FREE, paid for by the TV advertizing. Tickets for the concerts should be $20 just to cover the huge costs to set them up. Altamont overturned in the 21st cetury. A series of free live virtual concerts with the best seat in the house.

I think that would be a fiting end, and when you think if it, true to the tradition of the Rolling Stones where they always outdoo everybody else. This time they would be seting the high water mark for going out with a bang.

And think of the fans world wide. You get to see the Rolling Stones perform live for free in HD with surround sound four times over the span of six weeks. They could make some interesting set lists for sure.

I think that would be great. Four free shows on TV all across the world for the fans. All in high definition with surround sound. The last big blast from the "Youth Generation," time to pass on the baton.

What a fitting greatest finale of all time for the greatest rock and roll band in the world. I might even cry at the end of the last show. Tears of joy for all the entertainment they gave us and tears of sorrow that we can't all be young forever. The ultimate Puff the Magic Dragon moment.

MileHigh

Fascinating concept. It is simultaneously very emotional and very rational. It has grace and style and global reach. Sort of like a month-long farewell to Old Gods. The eloquent end of an era. Love it.

Then make a 2 hour long-film about it à la Gimme Shelter...and adios mis queridos Stones!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 3, 2012 17:55

I think the real moment in this video comes at about 10:25 when Charlie, on the verge of tears, admits that the abuses of amphetamines, heroin, and drinking nearly cost him everything that he values in his personal life.

It was a touching and moving moment.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 18:45

MileHigh

They have been saying that they were too old for being rock and rollers since 1972. It's a young man's game. It has to kick in at some point...

MileHigh

People used to say that jazz was a young man's game. But the musicians grew old with the music and many of the greats kept playing well into old age. Same thing with the great blues players who kept playing till they died. I don't see why the same thing can't prove true for rock and roll.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 3, 2012 19:39

mickschix
What Glitter jackets are you referring to, Justin?? Mick hasn't worn glitter in decades!! Sure, he wears an " outfit" for SFTD but that's always a production number...outside of that, he's been wearing black pants and a plain shirt for years. I do hope that he runs around less, more for his own sake than how it looks. I wouldn't worry about them looking " silly", I worry that they'll tire out too quickly.

These "beauties" from the last tour...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home