Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: THE WORST ALBUMS ALL TIME
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 3, 2012 03:04

DGA35
Can't read the small print but when Fly On The Wall came out, I was mainly disappointed at the album production. You could barely hear what Brian Johnson was singing. When I eventually got the CD, it was a bit better but still, by far AC/DC's worst produced album. They should have kept Mutt Lange instead of trying to self produce. 1983's Flick of the Switch was their first self produced and another poor sounding album, although I remember at the time they said they were going for a more raw sound like Let There Be Rock album.

Mutt Lange nearly killed AC/DC with the over produced FTATR. It may have sold well, but by then he'd almost stripped them of their sound. It was like all their character had been airbrushed away in favour of a slick sounding radio bore.

It was no surprise the band hated it and wanted to get back to their raw roots. I @#$%& love Flick Of The Switch. As do most 'DC diehards

Fly On The Wall just didnt have the songs though, no producer would've made that album anything more than a 5/10

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 3, 2012 03:27

Mutt lange is terrible. I don't know what people see in this guy. He's great at making people sound like robots. He produced a few tracks on the last Coors CD and destroyed them musically.

Date: February 3, 2012 06:37

andy js
DGA35
Can't read the small print but when Fly On The Wall came out, I was mainly disappointed at the album production. You could barely hear what Brian Johnson was singing. When I eventually got the CD, it was a bit better but still, by far AC/DC's worst produced album. They should have kept Mutt Lange instead of trying to self produce. 1983's Flick of the Switch was their first self produced and another poor sounding album, although I remember at the time they said they were going for a more raw sound like Let There Be Rock album.

Mutt Lange nearly killed AC/DC with the over produced FTATR. It may have sold well, but by then he'd almost stripped them of their sound. It was like all their character had been airbrushed away in favour of a slick sounding radio bore.

It was no surprise the band hated it and wanted to get back to their raw roots. I @#$%& love Flick Of The Switch. As do most 'DC diehards

Fly On The Wall just didnt have the songs though, no producer would've made that album anything more than a 5/10

mutt lange produced highway to hell and back in black too

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: February 3, 2012 08:39

andy js
DGA35

I actually think the songs on Fly on the Wall are pretty good. Title track, Playing with Girls, Send for the Man...solid album IMO if you can get past the production. Danger is a kick-ass track as well.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 09:31

When it comes to worst albums of all time I'm sure we could probably dig deep and find some obscure album consisting of elephants farting on synthesizers or some other crap, but these are some of my least favorite albums by my favorite bands. Certainly not worst of all time, but times my favorite bands let me down. I'm excluding The Stones, as during such a long career they've had plenty of missteps and Dirty Work has been covered here.

Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV

An almost 2 hour long album of ambient/instrumental music with all tracks having names like "1 Ghosts I" and "10 Ghosts II"

Pearl Jam: Riot Act

My other favorite band alongside The Stones. But Riot Act was just flat, depressing, and an overall bummer. The music is kind of generic for the most part, and the lyrics are kind of stereotypical "I hate Republicans and Greed" autopilot writing.

Talk Show: Talk Show

In 1996 Stone Temple Pilots decided that Scott Weiland was too much of a mess, so they got some unknown guy to be their lead singer and recorded an album that was released in 1997 under the pseudonym Talk Show. With the exception of one song that was somewhat popular on the radio for about 15 minutes it was quickly forgotten and Stone Temple Pilots abandoned the project and went back into the recording studio with Weiland in 1998.

Devo: Shout

Devo started out so great, and got progressively worse. Fans will tell you that it was on purpose and that their entire career was one long performance piece and that Shout is bad on purpose. Fine, I don't want to listen to it though. To my ears this one is worst than the next album, which I guess is supposed to be worse. I don't know. I just listen to the early stuff. It's genius. This album? Crap.

Green Day: American Idiot

Green Day started off as a good little punk band singing songs about masturbation. Then one day Billy Joe Armstrong decided he was the second coming of Pete Townshend and Bono combined, and started writing rock operas and talking about politics, usually poorly. Green Day never really had a lot to say, and when they decided they had something to say, it came across like they had even less to say than before. A band that was once fun became self-righteous and pretentious.

Posted by: rubycatgirl ()
Date: February 3, 2012 09:48

NoCode0680
Come On

Really? That's one of my favorite albums. And just from a commercial standpoint it was successful and well received, although so was Rumors I guess. But it has several hits like "What's The Frequency Kenneth", "Star 69", "Crush With Eyeliner", "Bang And Blame" (one of my all-time favorite songs), and "Strange Currencies".

But to each their own I guess. I could see how people really attached to R.E.M.'s "jangle pop/rock" sound wouldn't have liked the electric departure, but I think it was a departure that worked. When I was a teenager EVERYBODY had that album. There are only 3 albums I remember everybody had. Nirvana - Unplugged In New York, Pearl Jam - Vitalogy, and R.E.M. - Monster.

Your taste is your own, and I won't question it, I was just a little surprised seeing that one there. And I'm a little curious as to your reason why. Did you just not like the change in sound or what?

I heard the Monster songs in their live version first and thought they were great. But the album then felt really lame in comparison. I still feel that way - the live versions I still love though.

'...I said we...we are heaven bound...'

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 3, 2012 14:44

Palace Revolution 2000

I love the Furs; one of my all time favorite bands; even liked Love Spit Love. But this album is so incredibly milk toast, mid tempo, crap.

I LOVE this album!

Date: February 3, 2012 14:46

NoCode0680
Come On

Really?

Sorry, same for me - not a huge rem fan to begin with but I thought this one was especially bad ... if I recall correctly this is the one with that - unbearable to me- What's The Frequency Kenneth tune.

Date: February 3, 2012 14:49

71Tele
mabo
I always loved DIRTY WORK!
And I still do!
It is rougher, harder, and more "straight to the point"
than every Album after... And it has NO FILLERS!

Some critics tell it over and over again! But that's bullshit!

Not too good are:
Voodoo Lounge &
Bridges to Babylon
Only about 3 good songs there on both albums!
Rest are FILLERS and are quiet boring!

No fillers? It's ALL filler.

Wow - I just don't get it. How can I love the Stones so much - love almost all their albums (yes, I LOVE A Bigger Bang), yet hate Dirty Work so much, and still see people post how great it is ... it is non-listenable!

I wouldn't say 'ALL filler' but it is pretty close.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 3, 2012 14:57

You want to hear filler? Open the vaults. All filler no substance.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:07

One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, & Sleep Tonight are fairly decent in my opinion.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:24

Got Classic Rock this morning and had a quick look. I think I have about 12 of these albums icluding 2 versions of the Keith Moon album neither of which I've played. Some of the choices are about right. For example It's Hard by The Who, what a way to end a career (the first time around).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:30

tomcasagranda

Jagger sounding like Jacko on 'One hit'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 3, 2012 19:08

Since there's no specification for the worst ROCK album, I look at this as an open field for "ugliness." That said, buckle your seatbelts because I own the absolutely THE WORST ALBUM EVER MADE:
William Shatner's...The Transformed Man

I've had this in my collection since I was a child. Tragically, this was the first version of Mr. Tambourine Man I ever heard. A truly a mind-numbing, soul-sucking experience, which resulted in my spending thousands of dollars on therapy & recreational drugs in failed attempts to erase it. drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 19:22 by memphiscats.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 3, 2012 19:22

"Mr. Tamborine Man" is too easy a target. You gotta love Shatner....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 3, 2012 20:44

When "Dirty Work" was released I read somewhere that a chief executive for the record company had said that they thought the record was so bad that they wouldn't have released it if it had been any other band than The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 20:52 by Stoneage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 3, 2012 20:51

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
GravityBoy
Drums in the 1980's had to sound like someone wacking a cardboard box really hard.

Terrible.

i'm lobbying congress to have the 80's removed from the official record...and this would have the residual effect of making all of us ten years younger. it's tough to get congress to act on anything these days, so don't hold your breaths....

That would also have the effect of removing the Reagan years from existence, leaving us with only 2 years of George HW Bush. On the bright side, he would never have made the 'read my lips' statement.

actually just one year ghwb...and one year on the front end with jimmy. as i said, i wouldn't get tooooo worked up about this bill...nothing's happening on the hill these days....

But those are American years...I hate getting technical, but the exchange rate at that time would mean I was actually correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-04 04:05 by treaclefingers.

Date: February 3, 2012 20:53

tomcasagranda

Yes, and to a lesser extent Had it with You.

The rest is unlistenable. Winning Ugly, Dirty Work, Hold Back....ugh.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2012 20:55

Stoneage
When "Dirty Work" was released I read somewhere that a chief executive for the record company had said that they thought the record was so bad that they wouldn't have released it if it had been any other band than The Rolling Stones.

i that that chief exec was being far too kind...

Date: February 3, 2012 20:58

StonesTod
Stoneage

If he had been kinder, he'd have actually not released it. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Date: February 3, 2012 21:12

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Stoneage

If he had been kinder, he'd have actually not released it. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

think of those wasted hours we spent trying to like DW when we could have wasted that time on something else...

Date: February 3, 2012 21:41

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Stoneage

think of those wasted hours we spent trying to like DW when we could have wasted that time on something else...

and the money wasted trying to buy the clothing they wore on the album cover.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 4, 2012 00:40

Mabo - Dirty Work is an album filler and deserves to be on the list - It SUCKS!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 4, 2012 01:52

Compared to the crap that's been released in general, there should be NO STONES albums on the list! I'm not a fan of " Dirty Work" but there are SOOO many horrible albums out there! Really?? The Stones!? No way!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 4, 2012 02:24

mickschix
Compared to the crap that's been released in general, there should be NO STONES albums on the list! I'm not a fan of " Dirty Work" but there are SOOO many horrible albums out there! Really?? The Stones!? No way!

Yeah, I'm sure they could probably have found worse albums, especially some boy band stuff or whatever, but this is Classic Rock magazine, so they're not dealing with stuff like that.

And on the first page it says:

"Sometimes even the greatest bands deliver a dud, and we've collected them all here."

So I think that rather than digging up some actual obscure terrible stuff, or saying that this is actually saying this is the worst music ever, they're saying these are the worst albums by the bands we all know and love.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 4, 2012 02:45

i think undercover and emotional rescue are just bad as dirty work!

Date: February 4, 2012 03:53

microvibe

And you would be dead wrong in your thinking, but don't let me stop you.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: February 4, 2012 05:07

microvibe

I don't think any of them are bad.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 4, 2012 07:36

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Stoneage

If they hadn't released Dirty Work, might people have spoken of the best of the actual album and a few choice outtakes as though they were The Great Lost Stones album?

Date: February 4, 2012 14:50

ab
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Stoneage

If they hadn't released Dirty Work, might people have spoken of the best of the actual album and a few choice outtakes as though they were The Great Lost Stones album?

correct. many lost albums retain a certain mythic quality that can never be afforded if they are released. dirty work had a chance to be a great album...but then they went ahead and released it. a shame.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home