Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Hampton on stonesarchive.com!
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 6, 2012 17:45

I still can't believe that recording engineers and producers allow this to happen - they should know what they're doing

The ABKCO remasters are fine though, especially BB and LIB smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-06 17:46 by WeLoveYou.

Date: February 6, 2012 17:50

WeLoveYou
On another note - we know that LSTNT song is the same recording for both Still Life and the Hampton release - however compare the endings. With the Hampton release Charlie messes up the ending slightly, so for Still Life they must have edited this bit. It looks like they went to a lot of trouble with Still Life to tweak bits here and there.

Also I believe Mick re-recorded much of his vocals for Still Life. So with the Hampton release do we have studio vocals for LSTNT and the other two Hampton tracks that appeared on Still Life?

There are at least four guitars on the Still Life-release

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:28

kowalski
dcba
To Kowalski and WLY :

if you listen to the FLAC's on your computer (with headphones I guess...) you can do the following. Get VLC player, play the files then open the EQ tool (alt+cmd+E) activate it then roll down the preamp cursor all the way to the middle (the "O dB" mark).
It truly improves the sound : creamy bass, thick guitars, and a nice wood-sounding drum set.

You're right. It sounds better.
Thanks!

BTW listening to my FLAC on a computer with sound card plugged to ym hi fi system.
VLC with preamp really makes a difference.

I don't get this VLC "trick".

If you have to turn the VLC preamp DOWN to set it on 0 db, it means that before it was setted on higher values, therefore it was your VLC preamp that was increasing the volume of the original file (if you put the VLC preamp on 0 db you are very simply playing the file as it is). You can't correct the "loudness" of the original file working on VLC's preamp settings.

That said, I find this new remaster great and very musical. Nothing I can describe or support with graphics or sophisticated analysis. I just send the music to my stereo, play it loud, and it is a HUGE improvement, not only as obvious, on the boot version, but also on Still Life.

Hampton's set list has only a few songs with dramatic dynamics: Time and Imagination come to mind. Both sound great - the crescendo is intact in both the solo spot and the Dminors sections in Time and the "every night I hope and pray" section in imagination.

For the rest, well, Stones' electric guitars are quite high on stage as well!

C

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:50

Obviously some folks here have definately another hearing (in a biological sense) than me. This is the only explanation for me why people complain about the sound of the new hampton release .... I love it and, to my ears, the improvement is massive, can´t get into this "compressed" or "discompressed"-sujet"!

But I´m just human, so perhaps I´m a candidate for an otologist, who knows confused smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:58

Good explanation liddas. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 6, 2012 19:00

muenke
I love it and, to my ears, the improvement is massive

Same here. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 6, 2012 19:17

Another point (but I am just guessing here) is that it could very well be that the new files sound "louder" than the Still Life version, but not necessarily because they are compressed.

Compression, in practice, reduces the difference between loud parts and soft parts (it is more complex than this, but to give the idea).

If I record myself clapping my hands, one clap strong and the other soft, and then apply compression to the recording, the different intensity of my handclaps will be less apparent.

A little compression is usually applied to single trax of the mix (vocals, guitars, etc.) to make the single preformances more smooth.

But if I only increase the level of certain instruments that first were lower in the mix, say, keyboards or sax, the new final result will be "louder", but not "compressed".

C

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-06 19:18 by liddas.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home