Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Killer Latter Day Stones Ballads
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 21, 2012 14:12

I have been listening to a lot of Bridges to Babylon lately, and was shocked at the singing and musicianship of Already Over Me. I would rank it right up there with Angie or Backstreet Girl.

So the task now is to recommend some great slow Stones ballads from the latter day half of their career. This could be a country ballad with a lot of soul, or any great ballad with merit.

Already Over Me is certainly one of my favorites.

Re: Killer Latter Day Stones Ballads
Date: January 21, 2012 14:37

I've always loved that song too and Ronnie does a great job on it.

Actually the whole band does a great job w/ that one.

I like the weave solo for Always Suffering too. smileys with beer

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 21, 2012 14:43

laugh i nearly died. from day one, knocked me out and still does.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 21, 2012 14:43

Infamy

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 21, 2012 15:44

Don't know about killer. But Already over me comes to mind as one of the best from the later stuff. Laugh i nearly died is good too if we take it as a ballad.
Thru and thru was nice too.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: January 21, 2012 16:03

Slipping away is a masterpiece! Especially Twickenham 2003 melts my heart every time <3

Losing my touch and How can I stop are nice ones too.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 21, 2012 16:06

How Could I Stop ...is a killer..
Thru and Thru is a good one too.

Date: January 21, 2012 18:03

Almost Hear You Sigh - killer
Out Of Tears - killer
Already Over me - Mick is over the top, otherwise it's a good song
Always Suffering - only the guitar work in this is worth listening to; CRAP
Laugh I Nearly Died - pretty damn good actually

That's it for their latter day ballads.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 21, 2012 18:03

How Can I Stop
Almost Hear You Sigh (acoustic solo is brilliant)
Slipping Away
Laugh I Nearly Died

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 21, 2012 18:53

Slipping Away
Almost Hear You Sigh
Out of Tears*
The Worst
Sweethearts Together
Already Over Me*
Theif In The Night
How Can I Stop

Hmmm....notice how a lot of my favorite ballads are Keith tunes.
*my 2 personal favorites

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 21, 2012 19:10

I find it strange it strange that people here classify Laugh I Nearly Died as a ballad
Would you call Out Of Control a ballad as well, if you just removed the chorus ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-21 19:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 21, 2012 19:27

many great ones have been mentioned above, I would add This Place Is Empty. I wouldn't call it killer, but I like it a lot.

Date: January 21, 2012 19:51

Happy24
many great ones have been mentioned above, I would add This Place Is Empty. I wouldn't call it killer, but I like it a lot.

Yeah - I meant to put that on my list.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 21, 2012 20:07

"Already Over Me" is good, a blast from the past,
although Mick over-emotes there. Still great.

LOVE "Always Suffering" and "Sweethearts Together".

For me though, the pinnacle wasn't theirs. It was
Arthur Alexander's, "You Better Move On". Another
gem is "That's How Strong My Love Is".

Of course, The Stones themselves are no slouches
in '64 ... "Tell Me" about it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-22 20:41 by TheDailyBuzzherd.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: January 21, 2012 20:21

Not only can he write good ballads but sing them so beautifully with heart and soul.
I would love to hear Keith sing lead vocals for Wild horses on next tour.

Date: January 21, 2012 21:11

MRambler
Not only can he write good ballads but sing them so beautifully with heart and soul.
I would love to hear Keith sing lead vocals for Wild horses on next tour.

I've heard so many people say that Keith's got a horrendous voice and when he does his tunes it's time to hit the bathroom, etc. Arrg...I LOVE his voice! As you say, it may be rough, but it's got heart, soul and feeling, which is what I look for in any artist. Maybe it's an aquired taste, like Dylan, whom I also love.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 21, 2012 22:44

I thought the title of this thread was an oxymoron.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 21, 2012 22:46

treaclefingers
I thought the title of this thread was an oxymoron.

calling a defenseless thread a moron is a cheap, stupid insult.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 22, 2012 01:22

I wouldn't go s far as to say any "latter-day" Stones music is 'killer', but slower songs seem to be what the Stones can still, at least, have a better chance of being able to pull off.

This is evident more so when comparing them beside their "latter-day" 'faster, up-tempo rockers' which we all know fizzle into obscurity (funny how stuff from 1989 or 1994 to be considered 'modern'; kind of ridiculous but I digress).
Here's one fact that any songwriter worth their salt would agree with though; ballads (or simply 'slower-songs' to be on-topic here) are much easier to successfully pull of than rockers. It's much easier to pull at heartstrings than get people moving.

THere's a charm when Keith sings, not because he's a great singer, or even a good singer, because he simply isn't. He does, however portray what he has become when performing; he's not an artist, he's a character. His voice is familiar and no one else sounds like him. Kind of like watching your favourite cartoons. People love cartoons, just like they love their "boys" - no matter what they're croaking on the mic.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-23 00:21 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:17

Erik_Snow
I find it strange it strange that people here classify Laugh I Nearly Died as a ballad
Would you call Out Of Control a ballad as well, if you just removed the chorus ?

It's a ballad, more like a 'power ballad'. Out Of Control is not a ballad by any means.

Date: January 22, 2012 14:17

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

It's a ballad, more like a 'power ballad'. Out Of Control is not a ballad by any means.

L,IND isn't a ballad; it's just pallid....

Date: January 22, 2012 14:35

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

I wrote "if you remove the chorus". And I don't think a chorus-less Out Of Control is a ballad either of course, but neither is Laugh I Nearly Died

Date: January 22, 2012 14:38

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

Yes that's a suitable word. If one think of a ballad as "a pallid song that basically has no shape or punch", then Laugh I Nearly Died would fit that category. But that would surely be a very incorrect definition of "ballad"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-22 14:39 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 22, 2012 14:48

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

Yes that's a suitable word. If one think of a ballad as "a pallid song that basically has no shape or punch", then Laugh I Nearly Died would fit that category. But that would surely be a very incorrect definition of "ballad"

you're way too intellectual for me...most ppl are just too intellectual...but you have a way about you...

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 22, 2012 14:51

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

Your rulings from on high that Laugh is not a ballad are a waste of space
unless you take the time to explain your reasoning.

Ballad is a musical term that has been around since at least the fifteenth
century and has meant many different things over the years. Its going to be
real interesting to hear how you can categorize Laugh as NOT being "a slow
sentimental song about love or love lost." Good luck.

Date: January 22, 2012 15:01

superrevvy
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

you underestimate erik...he's super smart....

Date: January 22, 2012 15:05

superrevvy
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

For a starter, Laugh I Nearly Died is NOT sentimental but cynical

Date: January 22, 2012 15:07

Erik_Snow
superrevvy
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Erik_Snow

For a starter, Laugh I Nearly Died is NOT sentimental but cynical

..cynical and self-obsessed, that is

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 22, 2012 15:12

That the "latter day Stones" starts... hmmm 23 years ago... that speaks volumes of the issue we have here...

Hmm... I think the best stuff in that category - as over-all, too - is Keith's contribution. Jagger has done some good - sometimes even great - ballad singing live, but I think the studio songs are rather mediocre sounding. I used to like "Almost Hear You Sigh" very much, but it is way too 'sugarish' to my taste these days. From VOODOO LOUNGE on Jagger's attempts sounds too manouvre-like, forced. For some reason I can't stand "Out of Tears" - yeah, I guess he tries there something very hard, but I find the whole thing artifical. "New Faces" is nice little catchy song but sounds too much like poor man's version of a Sting song (and of AFTERMATH). The 'easy' melody goes to nerves finally. Those BRIDGES efforts - "Almost Suffering" and "Already Over Me" - sound exactly same and way too familar to what he had done in his solo albums. Leaves me cold. And I am really tired of the clich-like chorus meolody hook he repeats again and again. The 'soul' ballad in FORTY LICKS is something better to forget as quick as possible."Laugh I Nearly Died" is probably the best thing Jagger over-all has done since "Saint of Me" and "Out of Control". It is a far cry from TATTOO YOU masterpieces but still it is a good song and performance. But I think Jagger does rather good job in "Following the River". Lots of typical cliches and manouvres but with his almost broken voice he gives me quite effective impression, like really putting something of himself to the play, sounding almost vulnerable. A bit like Keith does. I am a little bit surprised why Mick gets so much bashing about "Following The River". Maybe it is the context. I rather think about it is as a 2010 effort, and nothing to do with EXILE.

Okay, Keith's "Slippin Away" sounds boring in STEEL WHEELS, but I felt love to the song when I heard it live. Then it made sense (still rememer the first concert and the moment of realizing it). "The Worst" is a joke-like little song. Like Jagger's "New Faces", it can't stand repeated listenings, and starts get annoying. "Thief In the Night" and "Thru and Thru" are atmopshere exercises. Maybe a bit boring in upfront but they have some depth that fascinates me. Good efforts. Mature music. Then "How Can I Stop" is one of the greatest and most memorable things they have done since 1989 reunion. "Losing My Touch" is Richards ballad by numbers, as is the song in A BIGGER BANG, that has the word "empty" in it, I can't recall it now - but Keith's delivery makes it worth listening/s. He moves me.

Did I forget something?

And what about any of them being a "killer"? I don't think any but "How Can I Stop" comes closest, with a special mentioning goes to "Laugh I Nearly Died", and "Following The River" as a joker. That's my two cents.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-22 15:19 by Doxa.

Date: January 22, 2012 15:20

Doxa
That the "latter day Stones" starts... hmmm 23 years ago... that speaks volumes of the issue we have here...

Hmm... I think the best stuff in that category - as over-all, too - is Keith's contribution. Jagger has done some good - sometimes even great - ballad singing live, but I think the studio songs are rather mediocre sounding. I used to like "Almost Hear You Sigh" very much, but it is way too 'sugarish' to my taste these days.
-Boxa

I agree with you there. The best ballads for the last 23 years are all sung by Keith, IMO. My favourite "ballad" which Jagger is singing on, would actually be Sweethearts Together, a song which isn't too popular on this forum for some reason. Almost Hear You Sigh is also good, but it has faded for me too. I can't think of any other ballad after 1981 which Jagger sings that I actually like.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home