Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Why Does Keith Richards Despise Prince ?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 8, 2012 10:44

Or maybe it's just a case of Nanosophobia (fear of midgets)? Who knows?

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 12:03

dcba
What I never liked about Prince is that he tried to wrap his music in hipness.

What strikes me is how many of these arguments could be leveled at the Stones. The Stones have always been kings of PR and were very much happy to be the hippest dudes in Swinging London. As for 'trying to wrap his music in hipness', that sounds more like Mick today frankly.

dcba
Same for his after-shows : they quickly became a way for the hip crowd to say "hey I was there last night!"

They're actually a way for his biggest fans to see him in intimate venues playing a different repertoire. We'd go nuts if the Stones did that kind of thing on a regular basis.

Naturalust
Hardly complete ignorance Pie1 and hardly bragging, just the facts. Late 80's covers alot of his material, including the 1986 stuff you are advertising here.
As far as long hair goes, you couldn't be further from the truth. Princes hair is so "done up" it's hardly his own. Reminds me more of Little Richard in that way. There are alot of factors which point me to the girlish boy description, just listen to the dude talk like a lit'l kitten and his mannerisms and his over the top ego and the way he dresses and the like.

Listen, the bottom line with Prince is this, and you being a musician it should be easy to comprehend : the man is a brilliant musician whichever way you cut it and is a workaholic who's been recording and touring at a pretty restless clip for the past 30 or so years. Sometimes under the spotlight, sometimes not. So maybe stop judging on the image and focus on the -musical- facts ?

And a quick comment on 'Late 80's covers alot of his material, including the 1986 stuff you are advertising here' a) I'm not 'advertising' anything just directing you to fine free music b) late 80s is considered by most (including me) his golden era but it hardly 'covers a lot of his material' as evidenced by this handy list of Prince songs :
[www.princevault.com]

And to get back on the topic of Keith and Prince, I very vaguely recall a quote from Keith dissing Prince for alledgedly sitting on a throne and looking down on his guests at his home.
Ronnie met him too and describes him as 'a very polite little guy' in his autobiography. 'But the thing that always struck me about him is his love for music. He breathes it & sleeps it.' Sounds about right.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2012 12:49

dcba
Same for his after-shows : they quickly became a way for the hip crowd to say "hey I was there last night!"

What a bizarre argument.

Cant believe I'm actually reading a criticism of a musician for loving the art of performing so much that he's prepared to play for his core audience in a club setting for a couple of hours after his main show - and cheaply too.

If the Stones did after hours blues jams in a club setting following their main gigs and charged about $50 for the privilege of watching it, there would be a mass outbreak of incontinence amongst people on this board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-08 12:52 by Gazza.

Date: January 8, 2012 14:17

If you listen to interviews with Keith (on Youtube for example) you will find that Keith's idols are mainly from the 50-ies or even earlier on. He doesn't seem to bother much about newer acts. Not due to malice though, I think he's being honest.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2012 18:36

Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage
At least Keith says something in the interviews. The minute information you get from interviewing Jagger you have to interpret first because he never says anything straight out. I remember how Mick dismissed Springsteen just by saying something mundane. You have to interpret his face expression to understand what he means.

90% of communication is non-verbal....I think Mick 'gets' that.

Sure. But I think the bottom line is that Mick is much more calculating and aware of himself than Keith. Therefore also less honest.

Just because he is more dipolomatic and not a spewing blethering idiot doesn't make MJ 'less honest'.

Date: January 8, 2012 19:12

treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage
At least Keith says something in the interviews. The minute information you get from interviewing Jagger you have to interpret first because he never says anything straight out. I remember how Mick dismissed Springsteen just by saying something mundane. You have to interpret his face expression to understand what he means.

90% of communication is non-verbal....I think Mick 'gets' that.

Sure. But I think the bottom line is that Mick is much more calculating and aware of himself than Keith. Therefore also less honest.

Just because he is more dipolomatic and not a spewing blethering idiot doesn't make MJ 'less honest'.

You are right, TF. I chose the wrong adjective. I answered Proudmary on the same issue on page 4, 13:54.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 8, 2012 21:41

Pie1
this handy list of Prince songs :
[www.princevault.com]

Wow Pie1 that list of songs was indeed impressive. And I do love anyone willing to work hard at music, success or not. I am obviously not in the least qualified to talk about him based on his tunes because, looking at that list, I have not heard the great majority of them. The fact that there is so many point that there must be some good or even great ones that I may like or even love. Which is/are your favorite ones?

His song titles are sometimes bizzare as the man himself....3 nigs watching a kung fu movie!!?......I almost fell out of my chair. grinning smiley And the fact that he covers a few Rolling Stones tunes, well ok I'll try to see his next show when he's in my area. Rolling Hansie said he rocked that's good enough for me.

Stoneage yeah I noticed Keiths heros are all old timers (to me anyway), but of course they are, Keith's an old timer himself. Hard to believe he still rocks like he does but thats the joy of it all it retrospect. peace.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 8, 2012 21:43

Gazza
dcba

What a bizarre argument.

Cant believe I'm actually reading a criticism of a musician for loving the art of performing so much that he's prepared to play for his core audience in a club setting for a couple of hours after his main show - and cheaply too.

If the Stones did after hours blues jams in a club setting following their main gigs and charged about $50 for the privilege of watching it, there would be a mass outbreak of incontinence amongst people on this board.

Yeah, agree with Gazza here. Prince and his band did an aftershow gig at a club here in Victoria a couple of weeks ago. My friend, who is a massive Prince fan, secured a ticket and got to watch them jam for another hour and a half after an amazing arena show earlier in the night. Not sure how you can find fault with the band's wanting to keep playing for the love of playing.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:51

Naturalust
Pie1
[www.princevault.com]

Wow Pie1 that list of songs was indeed impressive. And I do love anyone willing to work hard at music, success or not. I am obviously not in the least qualified to talk about him based on his tunes because, looking at that list, I have not heard the great majority of them. The fact that there is so many point that there must be some good or even great ones that I may like or even love. Which is/are your favorite ones?

His song titles are sometimes bizzare as the man himself....3 nigs watching a kung fu movie!!?......I almost fell out of my chair. grinning smiley And the fact that he covers a few Rolling Stones tunes, well ok I'll try to see his next show when he's in my area. Rolling Hansie said he rocked that's good enough for me.

Stoneage yeah I noticed Keiths heros are all old timers (to me anyway), but of course they are, Keith's an old timer himself. Hard to believe he still rocks like he does but thats the joy of it all it retrospect. peace.
do you want to know my favorite prince tunes that aren't hits?

Date: January 8, 2012 21:58

andrewm
Gazza
dcba

What a bizarre argument.

Yeah, agree with Gazza here. Prince and his band did an aftershow gig at a club here in Victoria a couple of weeks ago. My friend, who is a massive Prince fan, secured a ticket and got to watch them jam for another hour and a half after an amazing arena show earlier in the night. Not sure how you can find fault with the band's wanting to keep playing for the love of playing.

You can't. Only an idiot would. And it's something The Rolling Stones have never done for their fans. And they never will. They're too greedy. They wouldn't make enough money to "justify" blah blah blah.

Date: January 8, 2012 22:13

Yeah baby Endorphine machine! That is a rocking tune. I like it alot. The scream at 3 minutes is worth the ride. I'm in. Thanks Keefriffhard4life. peace.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 8, 2012 22:42

Prince Alpert?

Date: January 8, 2012 23:15

Naturalust
Yeah baby Endorphine machine! That is a rocking tune. I like it alot. The scream at 3 minutes is worth the ride. I'm in. Thanks Keefriffhard4life. peace.

thats part of THE GOLD EXPERIENCE album i always talk about.

a few more:

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 8, 2012 23:21

Naturalust
Pie1
[www.princevault.com]

And I do love anyone willing to work hard at music, success or not. e.

This might be the most bizzare statement I have come accross on this site. What?

Date: January 8, 2012 23:42

brianwalker
Naturalust
Pie1
[www.princevault.com]

And I do love anyone willing to work hard at music, success or not. e.

This might be the most bizzare statement I have come accross on this site. What?

You'd have to read it in context brainwalker. We were talkin about Prince and how hard he has worked for his music. Seems pretty ordinary to me, most people like people who are willing to work for what they have. Is that more clear/less bizzare for you? peace.

Date: January 8, 2012 23:51

Ok krh4l, maybe I should have quit while I was ahead, That Gold tune is everything I can't stand about Prince's music...over produced, over effected, cliche lyrics and generally a Walt Disney sountrack kind of feel. The guys is all over the map style-wise, I'll say that for him. peace.

Date: January 8, 2012 23:52

Naturalust
Ok krh4l, maybe I should have quit while I was ahead, That Gold tune is everything I can't stand about Prince's music...over produced, over effected, cliche lyrics and generally a Walt Disney sountrack kind of feel. The guys is all over the map style-wise, I'll say that for him. peace.

lol. it was supposed to be a sequel of sorts to the song "purple rain"

maybe this funk tune from another album is to your liking:

if you want an almost all rock album i recommend CHAOS AND DISORDER:

i always liked this tune THUNDER from diamonds and pearls:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-08 23:59 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 9, 2012 01:37

Keith is Keith, he always kinda has been the same man, basically the real Keith, just like Mick, is not for public consumption... and why should they reveal who they really are!?

I think some of the stuff he says is kinda daft and sometimes out right cruel, but I also think that there's no way a women like Patti would tolerate a fool, thus Keith is simply doing what he thinks people wanna hear, it's an act, he's not willing to reveal his true self too much, but he is willing to play along with image, the game of show biz.

Part truth peaks through the floor boards, but mostly it's off the cuff honesty in that he says what he thinks at the time or relies on stock replies, but holds back what he maybe truly feels and/or who he truly is.

I think the "Shut up Keith" is needed and probably deserved at times, same as it is with all of us. Everyone could do with a good dose of shut the f... up!

PS: Pretty sure Prince doesn't give a shiit what Keith says about him. grinning smiley

I dunno, I'm drunk, listening to and being overwhelmed by the grumpy old bugger Keith's guitar playing so I'm willing to forgive any crap stuff he says. We all talk crap at times and in the end it doesn't really matter that much.

thumbs up

Posted by: drjay ()
Date: January 9, 2012 02:31

Keith is jealous.Prince doesn't have to share half his royalties with anyone ,he wrote everything by himself.And, he has actually improved as a guitar player the last 30 years.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 04:38

Prince live is a treat. Always delivers. I'm stunned by his talent. A better guitarist (and live performer) than just about everyone.

That said, back to the topic, I think KR's view of Prince fundamentally has to do with cheese.

I recall reading that the chef who was hired to cater an early Prince tour was very put out by the fact that Prince hated his gourmet dishes (which were so lovingly prepared). Instead, Prince occasionally insisted for some good 'ole simple Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, straight from the box with the powdered cheddar mix.

When this request can through for the third time, the chef said "the heck with this, I need to join up with a band who hates cheese in all its forms." And Keith, being a noted cheese-hater himself, saw this as just another reason to hate Prince.

Okay, so I made up that very last part. But I'm dead sure that Prince did request that his highly paid tour chef make Kraft Mac & Cheese at one point, and that this request caused some friction with the hired chef.

And Keith surely would not approve of this cheese-loving behavior. Thus, I believe that cheese may in fact be at the center of the whole Keith/Prince tension.

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: January 9, 2012 04:53

grinning smiley LMAO!

ps

I'm a cheese lover myself.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 9, 2012 07:01

I went to the Prince message board and read their five-page discussion about
Keith's comments. About half were understandably outraged, and said some very
mean Elton-ish things about Keith, but I was more surprised at the other half,
who took it in their stride, comparing Keith to Chuck Berry, a genius who can
also be a quite unpleasant fellow at times.

A few suspected, like I do, that the root of all this could well be Prince
personally snubbing Keith at some point, perhaps when he opened for the Stones.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 9, 2012 12:15

superrevvy

Any chance of a link to said message board? Thanks!

Date: January 9, 2012 12:29

rebelrebel
superrevvy

it was on the prince dot org forums. sorry i don't have the specific thread
info anymore but it shouldnt be too hard to find.

Date: January 9, 2012 13:00

rebelrebel

I also learned on the Prince message board that His Purpleness has bought a
$12 million home on the Turks & Caicos, and has taken to occassionally hanging
out with the locals. So maybe in Keith's next book, him and Prince can get
together on the beach and write a song too. After all, Keith had said a lot
of rotten things about McCartney as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 13:02 by superrevvy.

Date: January 9, 2012 13:09

superrevvy

This could be a clue:

Slash of Guns N' Roses---He's pissed because Prince walked right past him,backstage
at the 1990 American Music Awards.The members of Guns N' Roses tried to talk to him
but Prince totally ignored them."I didn't really care",Slash said."He looked like a
fag that night anyway".

Date: January 9, 2012 13:12

Elizabeth Taylor---In 1984,she was a huge Prince fan.She loved the 'Purple Rain'
movie and soundtrack.In 1985,she invited Prince to her home for dinner and was
offended when he arrived with bodyguards,who insisted on inspecting her home before
he came in!! She angrily asked Prince "Did you think I hired assassins?"

Date: January 9, 2012 13:16

"I remember Fred Durst being on the Howard Stern Show a few years back being all
upset ,because backstage at the VMAs, Prince didn't acknowledge him."

okay, now the picture's becoming clearer. there's prince backstage, making
a fuss over mick and totally ignoring keith. it all makes sense now.

Date: January 9, 2012 13:44

superrevvy
rebelrebel

I also learned on the Prince message board that His Purpleness has bought a
$12 million home on the Turks & Caicos, and has taken to occassionally hanging
out with the locals. So maybe in Keith's next book, him and Prince can get
together on the beach and write a song too. After all, Keith had said a lot
of rotten things about McCartney as well.

The lowest common denominator in rockstarcapitalism seems to be that sooner or later you will end up buying property in the West Indies. Without that you wouldn't have these "great" eclectic enterprises like SuperHeavy!

Date: January 9, 2012 13:52

Stoneage
The lowest common denominator in rockstarcapitalism seems to be that sooner or later you will end up buying property in the West Indies. Without that you wouldn't have these "great" eclectic enterprises like SuperHeavy!

McCartney on bass and vocals, Prince on vocals and guitar, Keith on guitar and...

Elton on keyboards! He's a natural, because he's publically fueded with Prince too.

The HissyFits !

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home