Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Time For Stones To Be Bold And Leave Nostalgia Act In Rear View Mirror!
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 4, 2012 23:07

Even if they built a 20 song setlist around their material from Emotional Rescue thru ABB it would still be songs they have already performed or rehearsed at some point.

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave
9. Neighbors
10.Summer Romance
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

I doubt they would consider such a show though because it only encompasses their last 30 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-05 02:10 by Sam Spade.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 4, 2012 23:11

Sam Spade
Even if they built a 20 song setlist around their material from Tattoo You thru ABB it would still be songs they have already performed or rehearsed at some point.

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave
9. Neighbors
10.Summer Romance
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

I doubt they would consider such a show though because it only encompasses their last 30 years.

Great choice for #1! Possibly their best ever!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2012 00:19

stonescrow
Sam Spade
Even if they built a 20 song setlist around their material from Tattoo You thru ABB it would still be songs they have already performed or rehearsed at some point.

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave
9. Neighbors
10.Summer Romance
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

I really don't get the love for this song...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2012 00:37

Sam Spade

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up **
5. Waiting On A Friend **
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave **
9. Neighbors **
10.Summer Romance **
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

Sorry Sam...you'll have to resubmit your setlist proposal as 5 songs you've identified (which I've double-asterixed for your convenience) are clearly part of the first 20 years, not the last 30 as you have indicated.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 5, 2012 02:13

treaclefingers
Sam Spade
Even if they built a 20 song setlist around their material from Emotional Rescue thru ABB it would still be songs they have already performed or rehearsed at some point.

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up **
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave **
9. Neighbors **
10.Summer Romance **
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

Sorry Sam...you'll have to resubmit your setlist proposal as 5 songs you've identified (which I've double-asterixed for your convenience) are clearly part of the first 20 years, not the last 30 as you have indicated.

I was just going by the albums these songs appeared on, not their original year written.

Date: January 5, 2012 03:31

71Tele
stonescrow
Sam Spade

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave
9. Neighbors
10.Summer Romance
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

I really don't get the love for this song...

It's a killer song live. Very dramatic.

Date: January 5, 2012 03:48

behroez
stonescrow
Write new songs, believe in them, and perform them! If the Golden Anniversary is going to be truly special then it's time to retire the "recycles" (warhorses, etc.) once and for all! Been there, done that!

Totally agree on that one, and what a way to really celebrate 2012 as the oldest rock band ALIVE AND KICKING!!! (instead of repeating and reheating, and old rarities is also nothing else but just repeating and reheating obscurities out of the times of gone glory).

Yes! smileys with beer

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 5, 2012 04:31

stonescrow
71Tele
Mix in "Plundered My Soul" and some of the new Some Girls tracks and I would be perfectly happy.

Would work.thumbs up

F*ck that. I spent a beautiful summer afternoon on July 4th 1978 listening to "Some Girls" tracks and I don't want to experience that again for a farewell tour.

Gimme "Aftermath" front to back and I'll give up pasta. (well maybe just for the duration of the tour).

Date: January 5, 2012 05:20

The Sicilian
stonescrow
71Tele
Mix in "Plundered My Soul" and some of the new Some Girls tracks and I would be perfectly happy.

Would work.thumbs up

F*ck that. I spent a beautiful summer afternoon on July 4th 1978 listening to "Some Girls" tracks and I don't want to experience that again for a farewell tour.

Gimme "Aftermath" front to back and I'll give up pasta. (well maybe just for the duration of the tour).

What about the recently released Some Girls bonus tracks? That's what we are talking about here.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 5, 2012 15:33

I have a better appreciation for "Some Girls" now than I did back then. When they played it in 1978 it was pretty much unknown, at least early in the tour. Since then they have played tracks on every tour.

At this point I have had my fill of the album on tours. I don't mind a track or two here and there, but even then it sounds watered down and weak. Those tracks are meant to be played fast and hard not slow and plucky. And the singing was loud and screamy.

This may sound cruel, but I think they are too old to play and sing that style. Which is another good reason for them to delve into their early music. Believe it or not, IMHO at their age they seem best fit to play the stuff from the early 60's. Easy vocal, chords and shorter numbers.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 5, 2012 16:34

Plus their 60's music is great....

Open the show with;

1. COME ON----With a long rocking Mick Taylor solo.
2. ROAD RUNNER
3. ITS ALL OVER NOW
4. LAST TIME
5. PAINT IT BLACK
6. RUBY TUESDAY
7. HEARTBREAKER
8. IORR
9. WILD HORSES---Mick Taylor would make this song.
10. ANGIE---- 3 acoustic guitars---Taylor, Keith and Ronnie
11. START ME UP
12. HONKY TONK WOMEN
13. HAPPY
14. LITTLE T&A.
15. SAINT OF ME
16. ROUGH JUSTICE
17. A NEW SONG
18. SWAY----Long Mick Taylor solo's
19. SFTD---Like they played it in the 69 tour.
20. GIMMIE SHELTER---Like they play it in the 69 tour.

Encore--rotate every night with SATISFACTION, JJF and LETS SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2012 16:36

hot stuff
Plus their 60's music is great....

Open the show with;

1. COME ON----With a long rocking Mick Taylor solo.
2. ROAD RUNNER
3. ITS ALL OVER NOW
4. LAST TIME
5. PAINT IT BLACK
6. RUBY TUESDAY
7. HEARTBREAKER
8. IORR
9. WILD HORSES---Mick Taylor would make this song.
10. ANGIE---- 3 acoustic guitars---Taylor, Keith and Ronnie
11. START ME UP
12. HONKY TONK WOMEN
13. HAPPY
14. LITTLE T&A.
15. SAINT OF ME
16. ROUGH JUSTICE
17. A NEW SONG
18. SWAY----Long Mick Taylor solo's
19. SFTD---Like they played it in the 69 tour.
20. GIMMIE SHELTER---Like they play it in the 69 tour.

Encore--rotate every night with SATISFACTION, JJF and LETS SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER.

what color is the sky in your world?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 17:34

stonescrow
Write new songs, believe in them, and perform them! If the Golden Anniversary is going to be truly special then it's time to retire the "recycles" (warhorses, etc.) once and for all! Been there, done that! Also, time to dump the stadium shows. Scale down! Clubs, theaters, and arenas only. 50 shows. Have the last show televised live world wide from Madison Square Garden on January 14, 2013 on the 50th anniversary of Charlie's first gig with the band.

This would be a great idea that would thrill die-hard Stones fanatics like myself. I would be very happy to hear a show that highlights a brand new album plus all the other more modern material that hasn't been done live. It's the casual and first time attendees who would be let down if they went to a show and didn't hear the "famous" songs and the Stones are clearly aware of that. Especially, if the tour is billed as a 50th anniversary tour, people will go expecting a show full of "hits." If the Stones made it clear ahead of time that they were done recycling nostalgia and planned a show full of new and recent material, people like me would be there in a heartbeat, but would such a show pack stadiums? Hate to say it but I'm sure the Stones would like to go out with a huge spectacle for the masses and thus they will promote the tour as the final blowout of a classic legacy and they will give the masses what they want...the hits. Hopefully they will get to throw in at least some new material to keep it fresh. Maybe they could do a few "No Nostalgia" gigs at some small venues and give a treat to the die-hards like myself who have already heard Brown Sugar enough times. But I don't think I could bear to leave a Stones show without one more blast of Jumping Jack Flash. Just happens to be my personal favorite and can thrill me even if I've already heard it a thousand times.

Date: January 5, 2012 17:49

StonesTod----sunny every day in my world..haha..

I just don't think the Stones can pull in the ticket sales and the prices they will want
without playing their biggest hits...Songs most fans as well as newer fans will want...

Even if most are sick of warhorses..I think if we had fewer shows, less backup people and Mick Taylor,
Bill Wyman, Charlie, Ronnie, Keith and Mick playing their asses off we will have a monster show...

A concert everyone will love!! Yes its sunny in Stones world!!! haha

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 5, 2012 17:55

die hards will get a triple CD of 50 unreleased and new things.

the masses will get a stadium size helping of hits.

diehards will get wyman and taylor playing those hits.

the masses will get keith on cigarette and embellishment guitar.

probably maybe.

Date: January 5, 2012 18:17

hot stuff
StonesTod----sunny every day in my world..haha..

I just don't think the Stones can pull in the ticket sales and the prices they will want
without playing their biggest hits...Songs most fans as well as newer fans will want...

Even if most are sick of warhorses..I think if we had fewer shows, less backup people and Mick Taylor,
Bill Wyman, Charlie, Ronnie, Keith and Mick playing their asses off we will have a monster show...

A concert everyone will love!! Yes its sunny in Stones world!!! haha

sunny isn't a color. sigh.

Date: January 5, 2012 18:23

Bright Yellow!!! Then it turns dark when my wife enters the room...haha

Date: January 5, 2012 18:32

the sun isn't yellow...it's chicken...or something.

Date: January 5, 2012 18:41

StonesTod -- Sun isn't yellow??? What world do you live in??? haha...
Or do you wear rose colored glasses??

Don't kill me..I'm only pulling your leg....Your right. Sunny isn't a color.

Date: January 6, 2012 01:27

stonesdan60
stonescrow
Write new songs, believe in them, and perform them! If the Golden Anniversary is going to be truly special then it's time to retire the "recycles" (warhorses, etc.) once and for all! Been there, done that! Also, time to dump the stadium shows. Scale down! Clubs, theaters, and arenas only. 50 shows. Have the last show televised live world wide from Madison Square Garden on January 14, 2013 on the 50th anniversary of Charlie's first gig with the band.

This would be a great idea that would thrill die-hard Stones fanatics like myself. I would be very happy to hear a show that highlights a brand new album plus all the other more modern material that hasn't been done live. It's the casual and first time attendees who would be let down if they went to a show and didn't hear the "famous" songs and the Stones are clearly aware of that. Especially, if the tour is billed as a 50th anniversary tour, people will go expecting a show full of "hits." If the Stones made it clear ahead of time that they were done recycling nostalgia and planned a show full of new and recent material, people like me would be there in a heartbeat, but would such a show pack stadiums? Hate to say it but I'm sure the Stones would like to go out with a huge spectacle for the masses and thus they will promote the tour as the final blowout of a classic legacy and they will give the masses what they want...the hits. Hopefully they will get to throw in at least some new material to keep it fresh. Maybe they could do a few "No Nostalgia" gigs at some small venues and give a treat to the die-hards like myself who have already heard Brown Sugar enough times. But I don't think I could bear to leave a Stones show without one more blast of Jumping Jack Flash. Just happens to be my personal favorite and can thrill me even if I've already heard it a thousand times.

I think the time has come to put this idea that the casual fans would be disappointed if the "hits" were not played to the test. What you are saying might be true, but then again, it may not. My hunch is that the majority of the casual fans go because it's the Rolling Stones and would be satisfied with whatever they played. Satisfaction might be the one exception that many of them would like to hear. As a hardcore fan I have a few that I would be OK with as a compromise. JJF is definitely one of those. Street Fighting Man and Midnight Rambler would be OK. I also wouldn't be disappointed if Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, The Last Time, and Like A Rolling Stone were played at every live performance. One of the benefits of eliminating the giant stadium shows would be less pressure on Mick to feel he has to perform the hits to ensure filling most of the seats. I don't think the Stones will ever have any trouble filling arenas, no matter what they decide to play.

Date: January 6, 2012 07:21

Sam Spade
treaclefingers
Sam Spade

1. Out Of Control
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. Start Me Up **
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Love Is Strong
8. Slave **
9. Neighbors **
10.Summer Romance **
11.Rough Justice
12.One Hit To The Body
13.Saint Of Me
14.Mixed Emotions
15.Undercover
16.The Worst
17.Infamy
18.Rain Fall Down
19.She Was Hot
20.Brand New Car

I was just going by the albums these songs appeared on, not their original year written.

Sorry, I was just yankin' yer chain...but, the songs I asterixed actually appeared on albums in the first 20 years, not the last 30...just for the sake of clarity.

Date: January 6, 2012 07:26

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edith Grove
StonesTod
what's wrong with nostalgia? i get wistful when i reflect back on nostalgia...

I always thought you to be a wistful kind of guy.

i was raised to be wistful. i was even sent to wistful summer camp.

Being a teen, I bet you had a wistful at summer camp! "waxing nostalgia" as they say!

not just waxing it, but buffing and shining it, too....

Wax off!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2012 09:09

The Sicilian
stonescrow
71Tele

Would work.thumbs up

Isn't there a 50th anniv. tour set list suggestion thread already started a coupla weeks back? Anyway, I'm with you piasano, Aftermath, Let it Bleed , Stick Fingers and a couple from Exile and I'll give up the cash necessary to actully see the show. If they had the good songs from the last 25 years to make it more up to date and less nostalgic I'd be the first to agree, but unfortunatly they don't. If I have to listen to Miss You one more time I'll probably leave the show early. peace.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 6, 2012 13:37

well eventually when the sh**e hits the fan and they're standing there 1 hour 53 mins into the show, even if I had it 2000 times, I won't complain if you get Satisfaction, IORR, JJ Flash or Brown Sugar as the encore, it just goes with it.

I won't listen to them studio versions any time soon but the band once again in flesh 10 ft away on stage?? Gimme anythang!! Even Gomper!winking smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 6, 2012 13:40

But please avoidstadiums on this tour. Just arenas all way through and then a theatre in London in 2013....

Date: January 6, 2012 20:37

MadMax
But please avoidstadiums on this tour. Just arenas all way through and then a theatre in London in 2013....

Anything that ultimately leads to less "recycles" being played works for me. Maybe they can re-activate them for the Satisfaction Tour in 2015?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 20:39 by stonescrow.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 6, 2012 20:40

stonescrow
stonesdan60
stonescrow

I think the time has come to put this idea that the casual fans would be disappointed if the "hits" were not played to the test. What you are saying might be true, but then again, it may not. My hunch is that the majority of the casual fans go because it's the Rolling Stones and would be satisfied with whatever they played. Satisfaction might be the one exception that many of them would like to hear. As a hardcore fan I have a few that I would be OK with as a compromise. JJF is definitely one of those. Street Fighting Man and Midnight Rambler would be OK. I also wouldn't be disappointed if Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, The Last Time, and Like A Rolling Stone were played at every live performance. One of the benefits of eliminating the giant stadium shows would be less pressure on Mick to feel he has to perform the hits to ensure filling most of the seats. I don't think the Stones will ever have any trouble filling arenas, no matter what they decide to play.

You're probably right that many casual fans might go see the Stones just because they're The Rolling Stones. Add in the fact that if it's billed as a 50th anniversary tour, many casual concertgoers will go just because they'll wonder if it's finally their last chance to see a legendary band - especially if they've never seen them before. However, if the Stones opt to drop the "Greatest hits" setlist in favor of new and lesser known material, these casual fans will leave dissappointed....and scores of idiot critics will write terrible reviews of the show, stating that the Stones let everyone down, even if the true fans were thrilled. I have a feeling the Stones are keenly aware of these factors, and as word of mouth spreads after the first few shows, ticket sales would drop for shows down the road. I refuse to let myself miss what may be the last chance to see my favorite band of all time, but I think we know what to expect. There will be spectacular staging for this final blow out, and the Stones will probably play some new material and some older surprises they've never or seldom done before...but the bulk of the show will be their most well know numbers...and if it really is the last chance to see the Stones play, even if I've heard many of the songs done live many times...I won't complain. I need to be there to add to the standing ovation they deserve for being The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World...one last time. Need to say farewell to the band that has given me a lifetime of pleasure and great music.

Date: January 6, 2012 20:46

MadMax
well eventually when the sh**e hits the fan and they're standing there 1 hour 53 mins into the show, even if I had it 2000 times, I won't complain if you get Satisfaction, IORR, JJ Flash or Brown Sugar as the encore, it just goes with it.

I won't listen to them studio versions any time soon but the band once again in flesh 10 ft away on stage?? Gimme anythang!! Even Gomper!winking smiley

I could accept Out Of Control, Midnight Rambler, The Last Time, Street Fighting Man, Like A Rolling Stone, When The Whip Comes Down, YCAGWYW, with an encore of JJF and Satisfaction. The rest could be Some Girls bonus tracks and at least four new songs. How is that for a compromise, Mick?

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: January 6, 2012 21:06

I couldn't more agree with the title of this thread! Just play some loud and mean rock&roll without being too Nostalgic.

Just Mick, Keith, Ron, Charlie, Bill Wyman, Ian McLagan and Bobby Keyes;

My suggestion:

.1 come on
.2 not fade away
.3 it's all over now
.4 meet me in the bottom
.5 jumpin'jack flash'
.6 jig saw puzzle
.7 2000 man
.8 brown sugar
.9 travellin'man
.10 coming down again
.11 winter
.12 through the lonely nights / angie
.13 when the whip comes down
.14 claudine
.15 do ya think I really care?
.16 dead flowers
.17 all about you (keith)
.18 sing me back home (keith)
.19 shattered
.20 around and around
.21 she said yeah / satisfaction
.22 miss amanda jones
.23 reelin and a rockin'
.24 you can't always get what you want
.25 moonlight mile (reworked version with Ron on Pedal Steel instead violins...)

Could be very interesting

Date: January 6, 2012 21:44

stonesdan60
stonescrow
stonesdan60
stonescrow

You're probably right that many casual fans might go see the Stones just because they're The Rolling Stones. Add in the fact that if it's billed as a 50th anniversary tour, many casual concertgoers will go just because they'll wonder if it's finally their last chance to see a legendary band - especially if they've never seen them before. However, if the Stones opt to drop the "Greatest hits" setlist in favor of new and lesser known material, these casual fans will leave dissappointed....and scores of idiot critics will write terrible reviews of the show, stating that the Stones let everyone down, even if the true fans were thrilled. I have a feeling the Stones are keenly aware of these factors, and as word of mouth spreads after the first few shows, ticket sales would drop for shows down the road. I refuse to let myself miss what may be the last chance to see my favorite band of all time, but I think we know what to expect. There will be spectacular staging for this final blow out, and the Stones will probably play some new material and some older surprises they've never or seldom done before...but the bulk of the show will be their most well know numbers...and if it really is the last chance to see the Stones play, even if I've heard many of the songs done live many times...I won't complain. I need to be there to add to the standing ovation they deserve for being The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World...one last time. Need to say farewell to the band that has given me a lifetime of pleasure and great music.

Good comments. Yes, the 64 million dollar question is, how would the casual fans react to a no greatest hits setlist. It would be a bold move to drop them all. Mick always seem to error on the side of caution when it comes to setlists so some kind of a compromise is about all we can realistically expect.

How about this for an example compromise setlist?

#1. The Last Time
#2. Claudine
#3. Out Of Control
#4. Saint Of Me
#5. New Song
#6. Plundered My Soul
#7. Do You Think I Really Care
#8. Midnight Rambler
#9. Like A Thief In The Night
#10. New Song
#11. It's All Over Now
#12. No Spare Parts
#13. Don't Be A Stranger
#14. You Win Again
#15. When The Whip Comes Down
#16. New Song
#17. Street Fighting Man
#18. Gimme Shelter
#19. YCAGWYW
#20. Like A Rolling Stone

#21. JJF
#22. Satisfaction

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home