Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Should Be Introduced As Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time!
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 6, 2012 22:24

Was it not Sam Cutler that first challenged the Stones by giving them the title of 'The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band In The World'? I say it's time for them to be challenged with the title of 'The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time'! I say they use that title for the 50th anniversary celebration! Time to stop being so humble, so English!

Re: Stones Should Be Introduced As Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 6, 2012 22:41

Calling oneself as "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World" at the time when the Beatles still existed, and a league of serious rivals were making name, and constituting the era that is now called 'classic rock' was rather bold move. A strong statement indeed. Now it is jus a cliche, and I think The Stones first crowned themselves and then proved to be worth of that. Like setting the criteria as high as possible. The guys had balls. And surely no humble. (Of course, it was not technically them calling them with that title, but Cutler, but c'mon let us not be stupid... they didn't mind too much if decided to open a live album with that introduction...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 22:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 6, 2012 22:52

stonescrow
Was it not Sam Cutler that first challenged the Stones by giving them the title of 'The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band In The World'? I say it's time for them to be challenged with the title of 'The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time'! I say they use that title for the 50th anniversary celebration! Time to stop being so humble, so English!

Could not agree more. After all, they ARE.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2012 22:54

there's no such thing...otherwise, yeah, it would be a nice idea...but, they could be sued by all the other greatests ever....and stuff like that.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 6, 2012 23:15

Stupid marketing ploy, that's all it is, much like when Howard Stern was dubbed "king of all media". Nonsense. Music is not a competition.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: January 7, 2012 00:05

Every night, some r&r band is the Greatest r&r band in the world

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 7, 2012 00:11

Who the should benefit from somebody "declaring" the Stones the greatest band? The name "Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame" sounds like a joke, one should not go any further.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 7, 2012 00:39

Doxa
Calling oneself as "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World" at the time when the Beatles still existed, and a league of serious rivals were making name, and constituting the era that is now called 'classic rock' was rather bold move. A strong statement indeed. Now it is jus a cliche, and I think The Stones first crowned themselves and then proved to be worth of that. Like setting the criteria as high as possible. The guys had balls. And surely no humble. (Of course, it was not technically them calling them with that title, but Cutler, but c'mon let us not be stupid... they didn't mind too much if decided to open a live album with that introduction...)

- Doxa
Why include Beatles - a pop band, had nothing to do with rock'n'roll..... get over it....

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 7, 2012 00:47

Lots of people consider the Stones era 1968-1972 as the best at all for existing bands - being the best rock band at that time. Having the best performer (Mick J.) and the band being on top......

Great musicians / artist all over the world inluding for instance Brazil Veloso / Gil referring Stones 1969 tour being THE musical inspiraion tells it all....

Date: January 7, 2012 01:24

mickscarey
stonescrow

Yes, second only to the Beatles.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 7, 2012 01:28

Sam Cutler got it right...

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 7, 2012 01:40

Beatles were the best until the stones 69 tour then that changed everything

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2012 01:46

Sam Cutler got it right...

Yep Sam's greatest line .... and he ain't written anything better since ...

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2012 02:05

pgarof
Beatles were the best until the stones 69 tour then that changed everything

everything? like...EVERYTHING???

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 7, 2012 02:13

mtaylor
[ include Beatles - a pop band, had nothing to do with rock'n'roll..... get over it....

Some people just can't get past the Gospel of the iTunes label...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 7, 2012 02:26

mtaylor
Lots of people consider the Stones era 1968-1972 as the best at all for existing bands - being the best rock band at that time. Having the best performer (Mick J.) and the band being on top......

Lots of people don't, there's more that don't than do. thumbs up

Date: January 7, 2012 02:30

His Majesty
mtaylor

Lots of people don't, there's more that don't than do. thumbs up

ok, but board rules force us to ask for your sources....

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 7, 2012 03:16

u2 did it in the late 80's. They called themselves the greatest rock n roll band in the world in the middle of a show. I got a good chuckle out of it!

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: January 7, 2012 04:07

J.J.Flash
u2 did it in the late 80's. They called themselves the greatest rock n roll band in the world in the middle of a show. I got a good chuckle out of it!

Excuse me that was not in 80s they said that but only a few years back.

Date: January 7, 2012 05:12

mickscarey
stonescrow

Well, if the shoe fits...........

Date: January 7, 2012 05:27

J.J.Flash

What is the world coming to? Competition in rock 'n roll? You mean rock 'n roll stars actually have egos? Absurd!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-07 05:29 by stonescrow.

Date: January 7, 2012 05:34

tipps
J.J.Flash

Is it possible they made that claim more than once? Shocking, absolutely shocking!

Date: January 7, 2012 05:42

tipps
J.J.Flash

it was the 80's the first time. For the Joshua Tree tour.

Date: January 7, 2012 05:52

stonescrow
tipps
J.J.Flash

Is it possible they made that claim more than once? Shocking, absolutely shocking!

Actually, they could make that claim today. But it is doubtful they will ever challenge the Beatles or The Stones for the title of greatest of all time.

Date: January 7, 2012 05:57

J.J.Flash
tipps
J.J.Flash

it was the 80's the first time. For the Joshua Tree tour.

Just curious, was it the pious ego-less Bono that made that declaration?

Date: January 7, 2012 06:08

GumbootCloggeroo
Stupid marketing ploy, that's all it is, much like when Howard Stern was dubbed "king of all media". Nonsense. Music is not a competition.

I probably wouldn't go as far as saying it was a brilliant marketing ploy, but it was in no way a stupid one. I wouldn't classify rock 'n roll as a sport or music as a competition in the strictest sense of the word, but it's a business full of massive egos, both male and female. It's a very competitive business in many aspects. Mick himself has said there was even competition within the Stones among themselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-07 06:11 by stonescrow.

Date: January 7, 2012 06:14

totally Bono

Date: January 7, 2012 06:14

Sir Craven of Cottage
mickscarey
stonescrow

Yes, second only to the Beatles.

I love the Beatles, but it is time to give the Stones their due.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 7, 2012 06:18

"World" or "Time" goes for the same. You`re stating the obvious, man!

Date: January 7, 2012 06:20

J.J.Flash
totally Bono

I will take your word on it. I have known many people like Bono that like to give the appearance that they are above being competitive. They can be the fiercest competitors of all. One example I can give is the legendary Seattle hydroplane driver Chip Hanauer. He appeared as meek and mild as a lamb and would always keep his competitive side concealed. Nobody wanted to win more than Chip!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home