Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How to play the Starfu-ker solo
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 3, 2012 10:59

Simple solo yes but this is a perfect instructional video. Thanks airiharuka, great job!

Re: How to play the Starfu-ker solo
Date: January 3, 2012 12:09

Some mistakes in there, but an overall good tutorial.

BUT: Most importantly, for every guitar player out there - find the right sound first winking smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 3, 2012 14:46

Sounds like a can of buzzing hornets

Date: January 3, 2012 15:43

Damm Yer Good!

Jimmy Page, quite a rage, I COULD NOT SEE THE REASON WHY!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 15:49 by steel driving hammer.

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: January 3, 2012 15:57

The sound is horrible, trying to play some Stones' Chuck Berry style with a death metal sound is rather peculiar.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: January 3, 2012 19:16

DandelionPowderman

BUT: Most importantly, for every guitar player out there - find the right sound first winking smiley

Keith's tone on his Custom Tele on the 75/76 Tour was awesome.

Date: January 4, 2012 12:29

DandelionPowderman

exactly was thinking the same but its a good solo

Date: January 4, 2012 12:39

xke38
DandelionPowderman

Keith's tone on his Custom Tele on the 75/76 Tour was awesome.

the best thumbs up

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 5, 2012 03:02

That's some pretty good, impressive playing.

It's a compliment to the dude who made the video, and the differences between what he's doing and what Keith and Ronnie do just go to show you why they are who they are too. :-)

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: January 5, 2012 16:32

A pretty good one!!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 5, 2012 22:44

beepee
The sound is horrible, trying to play some Stones' Chuck Berry style with a death metal sound is rather peculiar.

Yup...and I hear it all the time. People often confuse the "Gain" knob for the "volume" knob....frustrating.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 5, 2012 23:05

He certainy nailed the right notes, but the sound was horrific and there is no feeling in his playing. I'm impressed though that he got all the overdubs in, that takes some going and a sharp ear.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2012 23:45

crumbling_mice
He certainy nailed the right notes, but the sound was horrific and there is no feeling in his playing. I'm impressed though that he got all the overdubs in, that takes some going and a sharp ear.

Only the lead vocals are overdubbed, not guitars or anything.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 11:14 by Mathijs.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 6, 2012 01:39

crumbling_mice

Come on, guys. Don't be so critical.He won't have the same sound in his little bedroom as the Stones on a big stage. and it's not that easy to show "feeling" when a camera is directed on your hands. Even the Stones failed with this a few times . .

Btw. is @#$%& a Jagger tune? Not shure.

Date: January 6, 2012 11:14

CousinC
crumbling_mice

Come on, guys. Don't be so critical.He won't have the same sound in his little bedroom as the Stones on a big stage. and it's not that easy to show "feeling" when a camera is directed on your hands. Even the Stones failed with this a few times . .

Btw. is @#$%& a Jagger tune? Not shure.

A total Jagger tune.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2012 11:21

Mathijs
crumbling_mice

Mathijs

Are you7 sure mathijs...I thought that Love you Live was heavily overdubbed in all areas. I might be wrong and if so apologies but I thought I'd read it somewhere.

Cousin C...I get where you are coming from, but even in a bedroom it's possible to get a better sound than that...it would have sounded better without any distortion, and if you love a song you play it with feeling whereever. But, I still think he's done a fantastic job and although I've been playing that solo for decades he's picked out more than I ever did.

Date: January 6, 2012 13:04

I agree that the guy uses too much gain and maybe lacks some feeling in this particular video but he plays a great recap of the solo, note for note. A fantastic instructional video made for that purpose.

Date: January 6, 2012 14:12

crumbling_mice
Mathijs
crumbling_mice

Mathijs

Are you7 sure mathijs...I thought that Love you Live was heavily overdubbed in all areas. I might be wrong and if so apologies but I thought I'd read it somewhere.

Only the El Mocambo tracks are reworked with new guitars, vocals and harmonica. All other tracks are edited, most tracks feuture new lead and/or backing vocals, but as far as is known now, no guitars where added or overdubbed.

But of course, we thought the same about Ya-Ya's for 30 years, until somebody on this board discovered Carol and Little Queenie had Taylor's rhythm guitar replaced by a Keith overdub. Impossible to hear unless you compare it back-to-back with the sound of the video's.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2012 14:19

Mathijs
crumbling_mice
Mathijs
crumbling_mice

Mathijs

Only the El Mocambo tracks are reworked with new guitars, vocals and harmonica. All other tracks are edited, most tracks feuture new lead and/or backing vocals, but as far as is known now, no guitars where added or overdubbed.

But of course, we thought the same about Ya-Ya's for 30 years, until somebody on this board discovered Carol and Little Queenie had Taylor's rhythm guitar replaced by a Keith overdub. Impossible to hear unless you compare it back-to-back with the sound of the video's.

Mathijs

Was Crackin' Up the only El-Mocambo-track with guitar overdubs?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 6, 2012 14:53

Justin
People often confuse the "Gain" knob for the "volume" knob....frustrating.

Ditto that. A lot folks forget that the majority of Keith's greatest sounds are remarkably clean by rock standards, just on the very edge of break up.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 6, 2012 17:02

crumbling_mice
Mathijs
crumbling_mice

Mathijs

Cousin C...I get where you are coming from, but even in a bedroom it's possible to get a better sound than that...it would have sounded better without any distortion, and if you love a song you play it with feeling whereever. But, I still think he's done a fantastic job and although I've been playing that solo for decades he's picked out more than I ever did.

You're right with the sound. But reg. feeling it's sometimes easier said than done.
I remember when I played in studios under pressure and with little time, - just when the tape rolled there was something missing in my playin. It's been better with more time and recording much of your playin. I needed quite some time to play on the spot when needed.

Date: January 6, 2012 18:26

Yes and this video as most of these videos are done for another purpose, it's not feeling that counts here but showing note for note what Keith played. And at that he does a great job, it's easy to see and hear what he plays and thus easier to figure out the solo if you hadnt already.

Date: January 6, 2012 18:35

pretty good far as the notes etc., my only issue is with the tone, which I wasn't really lovin.'

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: January 6, 2012 20:01

Mathijs

Only the El Mocambo tracks are reworked with new guitars

Mathijs

On Love You live, IORR guitar intro was re-recorded in studio.

Date: January 6, 2012 21:10

Redhotcarpet
Yes and this video as most of these videos are done for another purpose, it's not feeling that counts here but showing note for note what Keith played. And at that he does a great job, it's easy to see and hear what he plays and thus easier to figure out the solo if you hadnt already.

Good point - and it is really helpful to anyone wanting to nail that solo. Maybe we've been too critical of the clip and when and if this guy plays it on stage he could well have a different set up on guitars and amps and really give it some Keef in the playing!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 6, 2012 22:09

He doesn't sound exactly like Keith but I think this kid does a good job. Good for him.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 8, 2012 02:25

I enjoyed it, I've never seen anyone play it this close ..... Never thought to be critical of the tone, figured it was a small 'cam' mike that never sounds the best for music. Thanks to the poster .

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 8, 2012 04:44

Or perhaps he plays the tone he does so that it's easy to distinguish from the sounds on the record.eye rolling smiley
T@3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-08 04:44 by TeaAtThree.

Date: January 8, 2012 12:42

TeaAtThree
Or perhaps he plays the tone he does so that it's easy to distinguish from the sounds on the record.eye rolling smiley
T@3

My thoughts too. It's an instruction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home