Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any thoughts on Ella and "Mr. Paganini"?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:26

A long-admired song by many musicians.

Re: OT: Any thoughts on Ella and "Mr. Paganini"?
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:51

From the Gershwin songbook album.

I love the songbook series by Ella Fitzgerald, and the live in Berlin album from 1960. She does a pretty tasty cover of Can't Buy Me Love from 1964, and Sunshine of Your Love from 1967. However, the songbook albums, both Gershwin and Ellington remain firm favourites. Check them out - they're on Verve, and the remastering and packaging is excellent.

I also like her Porgy & Bess with Louis Armstrong: it's just as good as the Miles Davis version, and better than Ray Charles/Cleo Laine, though I do like that one too, and wish Concord would reissue it on cd.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:42

The Gershwin disc is nice, I also like the Rodgers/Hammerstein Songbook she did. If I'm not mistaken she did a whole set of "songbooks" on Verve.

Absolutely one of the greatest American vocalists of the 20th century. You almost can't go wrong buying anything in her catalog.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:46

Yes - Ella did a whole series of songbooks, and all on Verve produced by Norman Grantz.

I wouldn't go for her covers of When The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game and Get Ready though.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:05

I've been listening to Ella since I was 18 months old and love her "catalog."

Just wondered how many of you had certain feelings for "Mr. Paginini"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home