Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Superheavy # 34 on RS top 50 LPs for 2011
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 00:26

SuperHeavy's debut finds Mick Jagger in excellent company – including reggae heir Damian Marley, R&B siren Joss Stone and Indian composer A.R. Rahman – and surrounded by a whirlpool of electro-funk, Jamaican dancehall and Bollywood glitz. Think of this not as a side project, but as a huge, freewheeling party.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Also # 23
Tom Waits, 'Bad as Me'
"Kiss me like a stranger once again," Tom Waits sings in a heartbreaking growl on this vocally dynamic, emotionally direct album, one of his best. The guitars come in many shades of blues, no small thanks to guests like Marc Ribot and Keith Richards – who plays on four tracks and lends his grizzled croon to "Last Leaf."

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 00:28 by boston2006.

Re: Superheavy # 34 on RS top 50 LPs for 2011
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 30, 2011 01:09

Thanks for posting...i had read that. Good to hear if you happen to like the album!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:16

RS has always been very kind and generous to Mick Jagger regarding reviews. I believe Primitive Cool was given five stars, deeming it a "classic," saying it was the best thing he'd done since Some Girls. SuperHeavy was a fun concept, but imo it was a real bust musically. I found it annoying, even, to listen to. Some songs had potential, but at the end of the day I did not like the album. I've found all those RS best of lists to have a few "wtf" type moments, whether it be inexcusable omissions or exaggerated rankings of what seems to me like mediocre songs/albums/artists whatever the list may be.

Date: December 30, 2011 03:35

Tate
RS has always been very kind and generous to Mick Jagger regarding reviews. I believe Primitive Cool was given five stars, deeming it a "classic," saying it was the best thing he'd done since Some Girls. SuperHeavy was a fun concept, but imo it was a real bust musically. I found it annoying, even, to listen to. Some songs had potential, but at the end of the day I did not like the album. I've found all those RS best of lists to have a few "wtf" type moments, whether it be inexcusable omissions or exaggerated rankings of what seems to me like mediocre songs/albums/artists whatever the list may be.

Totally agree with you on RS...have been overly kind sometimes. I think Dirty Work received 4 stars, as another example.

With that said, I think they have SH nailed. An example of something bad recently released by contrast, would be the Will.i.am travesty T.H.E.

Date: December 30, 2011 05:41

Mick gets paid any kind of mouth service from RS.

The only time RS is accurate about the Stones is when they do articles regarding them getting ready to do something, rehearsing, on tour and after a tour. Things they say and plan, etc.

Album reviews, Stones or solo, are generally full of shit and are strictly part of the lip service stroke that Jann Wenner promised to give Mick.

Any sane person, music fan or not, would have taken one listen to Miracle Worker and not bothered with the rest of the album. How it can make a top 50 that is supposedly the best releases of the year is mystifying at the least.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:17

So now you're picking on Rolling Stone Magazine and Jann Wenner because he happens to enjoy Mick's work?? How absurdly prejudiced! Super Heavy happens to be a very good cd, so I'm guessing you either haven't bought it and really listened to it or you happen to be blinded by Keith's recent opinion of Mick. Either way it's BS.

Date: December 30, 2011 19:54

mickschix
So now you're picking on Rolling Stone Magazine and Jann Wenner because he happens to enjoy Mick's work?? How absurdly prejudiced! Super Heavy happens to be a very good cd, so I'm guessing you either haven't bought it and really listened to it or you happen to be blinded by Keith's recent opinion of Mick. Either way it's BS.

helovestoplaytheblues... 'nuff said.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:23

Right, gotcha!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:41

people are complaining about SH #34 for the year 2011 being too high?

bet not one of the complainers can name 33 albums of this year they think are better.

i don't even listen to SH anymore and its still my #2 album of the year,
despite its many flaws.

RS's number 2 album of the year Kanye/JayZ and number 6 gaga are both crap
by comparison to SH, and I like dance/hiphop/pop.

SH would easily be in my top 34 albums of this CENTURY so far.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:44

mickschix
blinded by Keith's recent opinion of Mick

I get it, it's Keith's fault ... again.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2131
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home