Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Beatles never had anything as good as Tommy or Quadrophenia
Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:46

Youngie
BroomWagon
the Beatles never did anything as good as Tommy or Quadrophenia.

If I can repeat my question to you: Does Sgt Pepper compare with Tommy?

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:53

Youngie
BroomWagon
the Beatles never did anything as good as Tommy or Quadrophenia.

If I can repeat my question to you: Does Sgt Pepper with Tommy?

I think Sgt Pepper is great, I don't really compare the two, it's not my thing but if comparing the Beatles always is to say how great a group they are, I merely do think Quad and Tommy are better, the Overture of Tommy is great, We're not going to take it, Pinball Wizard and on and on is all very solid, See me feel me of course at woodstock is a fantastic performance.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:55

BroomWagon
So, 3 Beatles vs. Rolling Stones threads, is okay, the Beatlemania one, the book one, etc. and a Christmas thread. It's okay to get into the Beatles vs. Stones conversation but a mere reflection on enjoying Tommy and Quadrophenia more than any Beatles product in this same kind of ambience is all of a sudden Beatles-bashing. Okay, glad you set me straight on that.

Well that's kind of the point, why do we need any of the Beatles vs Stones threads. And the common denominator is just bashing on the Beatles, so changing Stones to The Who is really not all that different. It's mainly just saying you're putting the Beatles third on this pointless list as opposed to second.

If you enjoy Tommy and Quadrophenia, why do you feel the need to bring the Beatles into it? You might have gotten better responses if it were just "OT: I really enjoy Tommy and Quadrophenia", but you dragged the Beatles in and made it just another Vs thread.

What exactly were you trying to accomplish? You seem upset that everybody is not agreeing with you and patting you on the back. I think you'll find in the Beatles vs Stones threads plenty of people who think that's silly as well. I think the point is that there are plenty of Beatles bashing threads, whether they are comparing them to The Stones, or now The Who.

I actually turned a guy I know from the Pearl Jam forums onto this site, and the first thing he asked me was "Why do so many of them have such an inferiority complex about the Beatles?".

Date: December 28, 2011 20:59

BroomWagon
the Overture of Tommy is great, We're not going to take it, Pinball Wizard and on and on is all very solid, See me feel me of course at woodstock is a fantastic performance.

Yeah I can't disagree.

Date: December 28, 2011 21:02

I thought the Beatles vs. Stones threads and other remarks I have read seem to be much more pro-Beatles, I'm not even sure if I'd call those threads Beatles bashing, almost more like an agenda to bring Beatles talk in. So again, if they are always put up on a high pedestal, I'll enjoy most all of the WHo's records more so.

NoCode0680

Well that's kind of the point, why do we need any of the Beatles vs Stones threads. And the common denominator is just bashing on the Beatles, so changing Stones to The Who is really not all that different. It's mainly just saying you're putting the Beatles third on this pointless list as opposed to second.

If you enjoy Tommy and Quadrophenia, why do you feel the need to bring the Beatles into it? You might have gotten better responses if it were just "OT: I really enjoy Tommy and Quadrophenia", but you dragged the Beatles in and made it just another Vs thread.

What exactly were you trying to accomplish? You seem upset that everybody is not agreeing with you and patting you on the back. I think you'll find in the Beatles vs Stones threads plenty of people who think that's silly as well. I think the point is that there are plenty of Beatles bashing threads, whether they are comparing them to The Stones, or now The Who.

I actually turned a guy I know from the Pearl Jam forums onto this site, and the first thing he asked me was "Why do so many of them have such an inferiority complex about the Beatles?".

Date: December 28, 2011 21:04

BroomWagon
I thought the Beatles vs. Stones threads and other remarks I have read seem to be much more pro-Beatles, I'm not even sure if I'd call those threads Beatles bashing, almost more like an agenda to bring Beatles talk in. So again, if they are always put up on a high pedestal, I'll enjoy most all of the WHo's records more so.

Yet you couldn't discuss your enjoyment of The Who without bringing in The Beatles.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:09

How many flipping Beatles vs Stones threads are their gonna be. It's been 50 years.Get over it already.Their is no more rivalry. Get a life people.

Date: December 28, 2011 21:13

Totally respect your point of view:

I just think if it's fair game to read things like this below, it should likewise be okay to say, Yeah, but there is nothing by the Beatles that I enjoy as much as Tommy or Quadrophenia and to give it it's own thread, by the way, nobody needs a pat on the back if Beatles fans are so extreme to be posting Christmas greetings and the like. It's not bashing the Beatles, Led Zeppelin have fanatics, lots of groups do, Grateful Dead, would much rather listen to that than always putting the Beatles and their music on a mountain top that is just so great and any other band, is most likely a poor 3rd, or a rich second, lol! eye rolling smiley

Remarks like this seem to be more Stones bashing so I think if one brings up a long career, etc. Vegas years, then there is little wrong with saying, Hey, there are albums out there that for me are better, if only barrely, than any of the Beatles music instead of looking at them as a deities always.

[www.iorr.org]

Sir Craven of Cottage
Having read the rather fabulous sons of Beatles thread........

The Beatles will remain unassailable. They have carefully nurtured and protected their legacy over the last 41 years. No Dirty Work by The Beatles.

You only have to read this forum to gauge the evident distaste that it's contributors have for so many aspects of the bands output /persona over the same 41 years. Some argue that they haven't done anything decent since Exile. Some argue that things were never the same after Mick Taylor left. We are already 23 years into the Vegas era - something many here are critical of. How many postings have there been disparaging Keith? Indeed John and Paul never fell into discussing each others todgers.

That's just a brief overview of the negativity attached to the Stones.

My own view. I love the Stones and everything about them. Just not as much as I love the Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-28 21:22 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 28, 2011 21:24

It's all in how you look at it. I didn't find the Christmas Greeting to be "extreme", I think he was having fun with people like you who get your panties in a wad over The Beatles. The response you posted below is from one of the many Beatles vs Stones threads, of course you're going to have differing opinions, just like here.

I'm glad you love The Who. I'm fond of them as well. But I think you're doing this thread a disservice, and turning what could have been a discussion about The Who into another Beatles pissing match. If you REALLY wanted to talk about The Who you would have gotten better results with a thread that was more positive, and just focused on THEIR music, as opposed to making it yet another contest. By dragging The Beatles into the topic you are making this more about The Beatles than The Who.

Or at the very least saying that you personally enjoy The Who more than the Beatles, not definitively saying that The Beatles never put out anything as good as Tommy or Quadrophenia, as if it's not even open to debate, or that art isn't subjective. You essentially baited everybody who likes The Beatles more than The Who into an argument, when you could just be talking about a band you love. Seems rather silly.

Re: OT: I much more prefer Tommy, Quadrophenia by the Who than any Beatles album
Date: December 28, 2011 21:31

I'm sorry, putting the Xmas greetings from the Beatles is one example as one could interpret a lot of pro-Beatles acts on this board and to such people who seem to lord that band over others, nothing wrong with saying, hey, they aren't the end all with all people. I don't look for pats on the back, I'm not here for a popularity contest.

Re: OT: I much more prefer Tommy, Quadrophenia by the Who than any Beatles album
Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:48

Abby Road and the White album are better then Tommy or Quadrophenia.

Date: December 28, 2011 22:02

Yeah, Abbey Road is much better, hard to beat Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Date: December 28, 2011 22:05

BroomWagon
hard to beat Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

It's certainly no Tommy's Holiday Camp, that's for sure.

Date: December 28, 2011 22:38

NoCode0680
It's all in how you look at it. I didn't find the Christmas Greeting to be "extreme", I think he was having fun with people like you who get your panties in a wad over The Beatles.

Well, I read that post on Happy Christmas and I don't see any posts where someone has their "panties on a wad", no, I dont' even see anyone posting anything negative in response but you post about 2 concept rock opera albums being better than what the Beatles produced and then, you see panties in a wad and though, one can post Christmas greetings, to even make a remark per Beatles fanatics is going to be stupid, I'm sure the Beatles have message forums but probably too much of a hierarchy to go through and I don't believe I love the Who anymore than the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Dylan, it's just that those albums as a simple matter are excellent.

Furthermore, Beatles fans debate on the White album as being reduced to one whole album, I have read that lurking on Beatles forums so I doubt if that album is better than Tommy or Quadrophenia, I'm sure it is only by tunnel vision.

This is just adding to the tussle and both bands have their pluses and minuses, no more and no less.

I'd have to add on with the Who in the general conversation, everyone talks about Punk but I've heard it before said that they are a bit of precursors of punk with songs like My generation.

It's interesting, when one deals with Zepellin or the Beatles and maybe Elvis, all of a sudden one has to deal with one artist being heads and shoulders above others. Beatles fans find that hard to deal with. Sure, Beatles have nurtured their image as being high up on a pedestal.

I'm not here to win a popularity contest, a Beatles fan can post Christmas greetings, call what others say stupid, it just shows really what they are, fanatical Beatles fans, this is why John Lennon isn't around anymore, wasn't Stones or Who fans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-28 22:46 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 28, 2011 23:04

I much more prefer Led Zeppelin IV or Physical Graffiti by Zep than any Who or Beatles album.

Date: December 28, 2011 23:19

BroomWagon
NoCode0680
It's all in how you look at it. I didn't find the Christmas Greeting to be "extreme", I think he was having fun with people like you who get your panties in a wad over The Beatles.

Well, I read that post on Happy Christmas and I don't see any posts where someone has their "panties on a wad", no, I dont' even see anyone posting anything negative in response but you post about 2 concept rock opera albums being better than what the Beatles produced and then, you see panties in a wad and though, one can post Christmas greetings, to even make a remark per Beatles fanatics is going to be stupid, I'm sure the Beatles have message forums but probably too much of a hierarchy to go through and I don't believe I love the Who anymore than the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Dylan, it's just that those albums as a simple matter are excellent.

Furthermore, Beatles fans debate on the White album as being reduced to one whole album, I have read that lurking on Beatles forums so I doubt if that album is better than Tommy or Quadrophenia, I'm sure it is only by tunnel vision.

This is just adding to the tussle and both bands have their pluses and minuses, no more and no less.

I'd have to add on with the Who in the general conversation, everyone talks about Punk but I've heard it before said that they are a bit of precursors of punk with songs like My generation.

It's interesting, when one deals with Zepellin or the Beatles and maybe Elvis, all of a sudden one has to deal with one artist being heads and shoulders above others. Beatles fans find that hard to deal with. Sure, Beatles have nurtured their image as being high up on a pedestal.

I'm not here to win a popularity contest, a Beatles fan can post Christmas greetings, call what others say stupid, it just shows really what they are, fanatical Beatles fans, this is why John Lennon isn't around anymore, wasn't Stones or Who fans.

Once again, the difference between this thread and the thread in which somebody just posted a video, is that you brought on the argument. That was just a silly little Christmas thread, in your thread you begged people to argue with you on the fact, and then when they did you act like you can't believe it, it just came out of nowhere.

You said it yourself "both bands have their pluses and minuses", so why does it have to be either/or? Not only are you continuing this pointless debate, you're labeling people and assigning them to sides. Apparently I'm a bigger Beatles fan than the Stones, and I don't even own all their studio albums, or a single piece of non-music memorabilia.

Whatever beef it is you have with Beatles fans, that is apparently so big that you lurk on their forums, it's kind of lame. And I see you attributing your own meaning to things others have said, and putting words in people's mouth, including mine. I think that a Beatles fan could probably make a very reasonable statement here and you would read it with malice or some type of superiority. And this bullsh!t that somebody has to be in one camp or the other, and you actually placing me in the Beatles camp is really dumb.

You're kind of like some paranoid Beatles Agenda (and yes you actually used those words) conspiracy theorist. Why don't you just listen to what you like? It would make life so much easier. And with that I'm done talking to you. I guess I should go put on my Beatles wig and light cigars with my burning pile of Stones CDs or something. There may be fanatical Beatles fans, but you're fanatical anti-Beatles. I would rather spend my time thinking about how much I love something than how much I hate it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2011 00:18

Youngie
71Tele
A stupid post and merely another random Beatle-bashing opinion.

I love The Who but Tommy was over-rated. It was an almost embarrassingly simplistic story, and I am quite surprised that this is considered the band's best work by so many people. In my opinion the only Who albums that stack up against Abbey Road, The White Album, Sgt. Pepper and Revolver are Who's Next and Quadrophenia. But I really hate these band vs. band things. The Who (as well as the Stones) brought something completely different to the table than the Beatles. One doesn't have to diss one to like the other.

I agree but you've just done precisely that! tongue sticking out smiley

Not really. I love both bands. I just think Tommy isn't The Who's finest.

Date: December 29, 2011 00:32

It's fine to say whatever one cares too, the Who obviously do both of these albums well, for me better than the Beatles and I won't be fooled again that aren't. Everyone can speak their mind, that is fine. This is really nothing since, the Who really aren't even my dog in a fight, I just know good music.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 29, 2011 00:38

The studio Tommy is just a blueprint. Tommy really comes to life onstage. When I play Tommy for someone, my first choice is the version from the second disc of the deluxe edition of Live at Leeds.

Date: December 29, 2011 00:42

ab
The studio Tommy is just a blueprint. Tommy really comes to life onstage

I said that way back post #4 tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 29, 2011 00:44

Youngie
ab
The studio Tommy is just a blueprint. Tommy really comes to life onstage

I said that way back post #4 tongue sticking out smiley

I prefer the Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 performance myself. Although I prefer the setlist of non-Tommy songs from Leeds to Isle Of Wight.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 29, 2011 00:45

Tommy and Sgt. Pepper are actually very similar - they are pretentious "concept" albums that "stretch the boundaries" of rock and roll, etc. How about "The Wall" or "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"? Can't forget those masterpieces.

Me? I'd rather listen to motherfucking Sticky Fingers (or maybe With the Beatles).

Besides, if there is a Who album that you would use to compare with the Beatles or the Stones, it wouldn't be Tommy, it would be Who's Next, which would be worthy of the discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 00:46 by drbryant.

Date: December 29, 2011 00:48

NoCode0680
I prefer the Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 performance myself. Although I prefer the setlist of non-Tommy songs from Leeds to Isle Of Wight.

And what about the London Coliseum 1969 performance (on the Kilburn DVD): have you seen that?

Date: December 29, 2011 00:51

Youngie
NoCode0680

And what about the London Coliseum 1969 performance (on the Kilburn DVD): have you seen that?

I haven't seen that one. I might check it out though.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 00:52

BroomWagon

I was actually listening to this song Monday night, showing it to my niece...
Its actually a funny, witty song and social commentary about how sociopaths can be percieved, reviled and celebrated...and yet, with a sly sense of humor.
Townshend famously derided the Beatles - while Lennon/Macca had a sense of humor, Townshend a sense of self-importance.
Lennon would never have sung something as ridiculous as 'Hope I die before I get old'

I love Who's Next, the early stuff, but Tommy, Quad....bombastic, adolescent and souless.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 00:54 by stupidguy2.

Date: December 29, 2011 00:54

NoCode0680
I haven't seen that one. I might check it out though.

I have it. It's unreal. Here's a peek:

Guys complain about the video quality but I love it: dark, gloomy and dangerous smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2011 02:09

BroomWagon

Poor argument tactic to pick the weakest song and therefore dismiss the entire album. That's like saying Tommy is no good because "Go To The Mirror" is on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 02:10 by 71Tele.

Date: December 29, 2011 02:12

drbryant
Tommy and Sgt. Pepper are actually very similar - they are pretentious "concept" albums that "stretch the boundaries" of rock and roll, etc. How about "The Wall" or "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"? Can't forget those masterpieces.

Me? I'd rather listen to motherfucking Sticky Fingers (or maybe With the Beatles).

Besides, if there is a Who album that you would use to compare with the Beatles or the Stones, it wouldn't be Tommy, it would be Who's Next, which would be worthy of the discussion.

I mostly agree. Sgt. Pepper gets the "best album" buzz more because of what it was historically than it really being the "best" Beatles album. Likewise Tommy gets lauded because it was the first "rock opera" (as if that was a good thing!). Who's Next is really The Who at their finest, not the deaf, dumb and blind kid.

Date: December 29, 2011 03:36

Tommy however was made in the days when the Beatles were still a band, that's why I named it but I would say including Who's Next, all of those are better albums than anything the Beatles did and By numbers has a number of good tracks too like Slip Kid.

As a rock opera though, Tommy's Holiday Camp would be essential to the plot, Beach Boys may have had the first concept album with pet sounds, Beatles took from that. Rock opera or not, the whole product of these Who albums work as a unit well.

Date: December 29, 2011 03:45

71Tele
BroomWagon

Poor argument tactic to pick the weakest song and therefore dismiss the entire album. That's like saying Tommy is no good because "Go To The Mirror" is on it.

Well, Octupus's garden is the one that gets mentioned usually, Poythene Pam, Mean Mr. Mustard, quite a number of them and if Golden Slumbers is a potent number, we are still talking about a great album but one could start to have some reservations, Come together possibly the best song in there apparently is derived from Chuck Berry's songs, I'm not putting the album down like some people put groups down, I'm saying if a person really gets hung up on the Beatles in a Stones forum, I'd even go with the Who vs. the Beatles first.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home