Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live at The Marquee TV Special 1971
Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: December 13, 2011 18:07

Refering to the 8-song Live A The Marquee TV Special 1971

Recently I've been trying to find the best available audio-copy of the show. Most sources I've found have been fairly good mono or at best a kind of splashy narrow stereo? but well short of official-release quality. Does anyone know of a good quality audio source?

The BBC issued a (rare?) official video, did it contain a good quality soundtrack? does anyone have info on that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-13 18:07 by rumple21.

Re: Live at The Marquee TV Special 1971
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2011 18:43

rumple21

Recently I've been trying to find the best available audio-copy of the show. Most sources I've found have been fairly good mono or at best a kind of splashy narrow stereo? but well short of official-release quality. Does anyone know of a good quality audio source?

The BBC issued a (rare?) official video, did it contain a good quality soundtrack? does anyone have info on that?

The show was never shown on British TV, let alone released as an official video.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 13, 2011 18:46

Gazza
rumple21

The show was never shown on British TV, let alone released as an official video.

Could this be one of the next 5 downloads maybe?

Date: December 13, 2011 18:47

mmm.. I was sure I saw it listed in a BBC catalogue in the mid-eighties

I'll try and check on that.

Date: December 13, 2011 18:56

adotulipson
Gazza
rumple21

Doubt it. The band thought it sucked.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 13, 2011 19:02

Gazza
adotulipson
Gazza
rumple21

Doubt it. The band thought it sucked.

fair enough,but they eventually released Rock & Roll Circus and they weren't too keen on that at the time

Date: December 13, 2011 22:30

Thats a fair point, but the historical significance of that show overcame a lot of any potential misgivings.

Plus the fact that, in hindsight, their performance WAS pretty good.

The Marquee show was televised - in continental Europe. They decided it wasn't good enough to be shown to a UK audience, apparently.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 13, 2011 22:48

If the WHO hadn't blown the doors off the place at Rock N' Roll Circus, our boys would have felt pretty darn good about their performance. I loved it!! The WHO were good but they've been better, IMO.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: December 13, 2011 22:58

It had nothing to do with the Who, but with the unhappy appearance of Brian Jones and the fact that he wouldn't be in the group. The vibes were lousy.

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: December 14, 2011 00:00

You can download it here
[www.ina.fr]

Date: December 14, 2011 00:36

mitchflorida1
It had nothing to do with the Who, but with the unhappy appearance of Brian Jones and the fact that he wouldn't be in the group. The vibes were lousy.

Bollocks.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 14, 2011 00:42

Can you help with this - i did not have luck with the site and cannot read franch.

Christian
You can download it here
[www.ina.fr]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 14, 2011 01:02

Gazza
mitchflorida1

Bollocks.

I suppose Brian's role and performance came crucial or mattered only after he had left the group (and eventually died). That sealed that there is no reason to release it (but before that the reasons were different). After that the whole thing was 'old news', documenting the band in its earlier incarnation of which the band did its best to get rid of. If I recall right they weren't too happy either when SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL (aka ONE PLUS ONE) was finally released in 1970. Nor was the director either. Even though Godard's movie seems to be a cult movie movie now, and an important document everyone praises, none of the principals were satisied to the result at the time. With the Stones, I guess it was much to do it being a bit dated, and just showing Brian there, and in such a terrible state, like coming to haunt them behind the grave, and reminding the people of his existence. Besides by then they had more recent tragedies to cope with, such as Altamont...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 01:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 14, 2011 03:08

The Marquee show is fun to watch at the odd moment, but I certainly hope they choose a better concert if they were to release something from circa '71. Especially if they're only gonna release six shows in total.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 03:08 by LieB.

Date: December 14, 2011 03:37

Christian
You can download it here
[www.ina.fr]

A nice flv with Good quality visuals the best I've seen -
and a fairly good mono soundtrack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 03:39 by rumple21.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 14, 2011 03:41

>If I recall right they weren't too happy either when SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL (aka ONE PLUS ONE) was finally released in 1970.

Can you provide a quote or source for this? I've never read they were unhappy w/the film. Not as skeptical so much as curious btw.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 14, 2011 03:48

The Marquee show has its moments, but on a whole it is pretty lackluster, mostly because Keith was so out of it. You can barely hear his guitar, and he seems painfully stoned to the bone.

As for Rock and Roll Circus, I just watched The Kids are Alright last night and their performance of A Quick One is simply stunning!!!!! The entire crowd is even clapping along, and the band is on fire. Truly one of their best performances...

Date: December 14, 2011 04:38

LieB
The Marquee show is fun to watch at the odd moment, but I certainly hope they choose a better concert if they were to release something from circa '71. Especially if they're only gonna release six shows in total.

The six shows they're releasing are audio recordings, though. Not DVDs.

Leeds would be the far more obvious choice IF they were to choose one from that era.

Date: December 14, 2011 11:04

Glam Descendant
>If I recall right they weren't too happy either when SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL (aka ONE PLUS ONE) was finally released in 1970.

Can you provide a quote or source for this? I've never read they were unhappy w/the film. Not as skeptical so much as curious btw.

Thanks for asking me to check the sources. As it turned out to be my poor memory fools me again. I @#$%& up so some things - probably with PERFORMANCE. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL - or ONE PLUS ONE as it actually named by the director and was released in some parts of Europe - was already premiered in November 1968. Nothing to do with my Brian Jones crap. The only problem with Brian was that his trial was during the shooting - the Stones made beferehand a contract that the film will be go ahead no matter what will happen to Brian. (The source: Wyman's ROLLING WITH THE STONES).

I really don't know how the Stones reacted to the film at the time. I just know some comments years and decades afterwards, saying something to the effect of its significance as documenting the process of making a song, but not understanding the point (content) of it all (Jagger). It would be interesting to get some quotes at the time of its relesae by the group. Namely, critically it was a disaster nor it was liked in the box office. It has the nowadays the reputation as Godard's "most difficult film". In recent Quardian review Andrew Hussay writes:

The film was critically panned on its release. Most damagingly for Godard, it was mocked in France where rock music had yet to be taken seriously. 'This is the work of cretins, and Godard is the most cretinous of them all,' said the Situationist philosopher Guy Debord. The film has been derided ever since as a classic example of mid-Sixties radical chic - meaning that it was pretentious, incomprehensible and, worst of all, boring.

Godard himself was furied when the title of the film and also the some content was changed (including addding the whole song to the ending) by the producer and Godard was said to hit the producer at the premiere. The film was promoted as "Rolling Stones movie" and for its targeted (pop) audience it was a disappointment (how come?grinning smiley) and people voted with their feet. So the film was no success by any means. From the people I know who saw the film at the time, they sound more like being shocked. Especially Brian Jones fans. There at least two different versions of it circulating, SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL, and ONE PLUS ONE (aka Godard's directors cut aka original version), but some people seem to insist that the version that was actually premiered at the time included (terrible) shots and scenes of Brian that were removed from its later versions.

Here is an interesting article of the movie; it offers an analysis of its content; if Jagger couldn't get answer from Godard what the film is all about, this helps (at least I found it helpful:

[elshaw.tripod.com]

Well, a film can't be that bad if the director says the following of its aim>grinning smiley<:

"..to make the film simply as possible, almost like an amateur film. What I want above all is to destroy the idea of culture. Culture is an alibi of imperialism. There is a Ministry of War. There is a Ministry of Culture. Therefore, culture is war."

Rock and roll!!!!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 11:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 14, 2011 11:51

a previous thread
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 14, 2011 12:06

There's the radical-intellectual half of Godard's film, and there's the Rolling Stones documentary half - and it probably takes a very unusual kind of mind to work out just why they are in the same film together. I certainly don't get it. I'd guess that most people who watch the film for its Stones content see the rest of it once and skip over it ever afterwards, and it sounds as if the reverse was true for the French intellectuals who were its intended audience. Doxa's quote from Godard (thanks Doxa) about his views on the wickedness of culture gives a clue as to why the film turned out pretentious, incomprehensible and, worst of all, boring (yes, it is!). It sounds as if Godard was deliberately making a "punk" film - the amateurishness being part of the intended effect.

Sure, the unreleased items showing Brian in his last days as a member of the band were out-of-date, and I'm sure that is the main reason why they weren't shown at the time. But there must also have been, to some extent, the fact that they brought back unhappy memories to the band themselves.

Date: December 14, 2011 12:47

I don't recall anything more of Brian other than strumming an acoustic guitar or lighting up a cigarette in the recording booth. Anyone seen more scenes of Brian from the One Plus One sessions?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 14, 2011 13:04

Doxa

Well, a film can't be that bad if the director says the following of its aim>grinning smiley<:

"..to make the film simply as possible, almost like an amateur film. What I want above all is to destroy the idea of culture. Culture is an alibi of imperialism. There is a Ministry of War. There is a Ministry of Culture. Therefore, culture is war."

Rock and roll!!!!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Lol! This quote is great, in a nonsensical way: "Culture is an alibi of imperialism. There is a Ministry of War. There is a Ministry of Culture. Therefore, culture is war." I love the sixties, when you could get away with making such pompous statements!

Date: December 14, 2011 13:20

LieB
I don't recall anything more of Brian other than strumming an acoustic guitar or lighting up a cigarette in the recording booth. Anyone seen more scenes of Brian from the One Plus One sessions?

That's about the same what my DVD version shows to me.

Anyway, I have never found anything 'wrong' or 'odd' with Brian's presence in that movie. I remember when I first saw the movie from a bad VHS copy in the early 80's, the whole movie - including the Stones part - looked damn boring. The idea of capturing the Stones making a rock anthem sounds thrilling but if one actually looks what happens there at the studio, that's not probably something to make a movie about. It is slow, focused - the men at work - tempo of events, nothing more, nothing else. They don't seemingly even bother to pose to cameras - it is very documentary in that sense - so to really "catch" the work - or how the masterpiece - or a legend - is born is something that goes beyond the cameras. It is very different, for example, if compared to those FOUR FLICKS documentary parts where they are in a studio posing so camera-and film-friendly and having so much fun (in making "Don't Stop", etc.). In ONE PLUS ONE the guys are quiet, not much smiiling, and goddamn professionally concentrated to their bit. What strikes me there is the commitment they have for the work. Just look at Bill Wyman's face in 'only' playing the maracas. Surely no fun. I think Brian is there as any member is. If his work is to play the acoustic guitar here, that is what he does there, and I can't read anything else to that. If they had captured making "No Expectations", his bit would have been quite different. Mick and especially Keith's role is central, but there is nothing odd in that. It is the calm atmosphere, the concentration, and the slow, undramatic process that makes ONE PLUS ONE scenes sriking to me. I think it is a great document especially for revealing a sort of myth or legend over Stones studio sessions. No party, no drugs, etc. Just the guys at work. Slowly but surely.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 13:25 by Doxa.

Date: December 14, 2011 13:47

To recapitulate the point I tried to make above: I think ONE PLUS ONE reveals beautifully that the process of making a masterpiece - or constructive art altogether - can be such a dull thing to follow (for anyone who is not exactly keen on the technical point of view, or a die-hard Stones nerd). I suppose that was the biggest reason why the rock audiences were disappointed at the time. It killed some mystery. I think Frank's CS BLUES has the same kind of effect to the so called rock and roll life on the road.

For a reason The Stones (Jagger) in both cases wanted to do co-work with some controversial artists but who had their own strong individiul visions and intuitions. Neither Codard or Frank was any Stones fan, or a fan of pop culture/show business at all. So it was natural that when they captured the Stones they did in terms of their own. In both cases, like Green Lady wrote above, there seem to be a dilemma between the pop/rock audiences and art intellectuals, and I think in both cases (Godard, Frank) the product somehow misses both target groups, or neither group is satisfied. Maybe it is a mission impossible to try join these two realms, or try catch them in one work??? Anyway, Jagger seemingly was at least trying to do that in those days (andf PERFORMANCE wasn't any "easy" movie either), as quite many of his contemporaries, starting from John Lennon even in his private life (Yoko).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 14:01 by Doxa.

You're right, Doxa. As a short documentary about the Stones at work, it's brilliant. But it's not all that exciting as a film. (I suppose that's why the movie Gimme Shelter is so exciting -- it's also all about putting a camera in front of the Stones at work, only at that time, everything was completely bananas, plus all the awesome live footage).

In photos of Brian together with Goddard at Olympic, he looks pretty normal in his leather jacket. I guess he was decent shape when he showed up in front of the cameras. I remember seeing the 25x5 chronicle, where they included shots of Brian from the We Love You promo video as a backdrop to Mick's comments about Brian's condition in '68. Now that was a wrecked man. So when I first saw the Sympathy for the Devil dvd, I expected a little more of that.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()

The scene where Nicky is patiently waiting at his organ, back to the others, always stayed
on my retina. Had I ever had any fantasies about how cool it would be to be a session player,
they vanished after seeing this.
Yeah, I agree with Doxa. We know little about how the boys created their best work, but what
is shown in One plus one made me want to drink for the hard working people. All romantics about
Rock 'n Roll are missing.
Still, I cherish those little bits we have.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 14, 2011 13:54

Gazza
LieB

The six shows they're releasing are audio recordings, though. Not DVDs.

Leeds would be the far more obvious choice IF they were to choose one from that era.

Yeah, I know, and I also meant audio recordings. Don't know why I wrote that. I guess I had Leeds in mind. 'Cause I think the Leeds show is a little sluggish as well, and I'd much rather see a 1970, 1972 or another '73 show released.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 14, 2011 15:41

They will release Leeds 71, i bet for this ... no big job to do, because they have the mastertapes and my second bet is that they have been already remastered while releasing the singles-box (because there you have "let it rock" from leeds as a b-side). And I´m looking forward ....

Date: December 14, 2011 15:46

muenke
They will release Leeds 71, i bet for this ... no big job to do, because they have the mastertapes and my second bet is that they have been already remastered while releasing the singles-box (because there you have "let it rock" from leeds as a b-side). And I´m looking forward ....

Another question is: Is the show good enough for a release?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home