Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ken Russell dies at 84
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2011 13:06

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Perhaps the most over the top British movie director of all time. He divided fans with his depiction of Pete Townshend's Tommy. But he made some really stirring, unsettling films in The Devils, Crimes Of Passion and The Music Lovers. A legend, nonetheless.

Re: OT: Ken Russell dies at 84
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 28, 2011 13:11

RIP Ken

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 13:45

One of my old favorites, I always hoped he'd get a decent budget and make one more great film. Sadly, not to be.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 28, 2011 14:06

I once attended a midnight double feature of The Devils and Performance. Disturbing indeed.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 28, 2011 14:12

I loved Ken Russell films.

He was the only one that could adapt DH Lawrence properly.

However, I had a liking for the Lair of The White Worm, too.

Date: November 28, 2011 14:22

tomcasagranda
I loved Ken Russell films.

He was the only one that could adapt DH Lawrence properly.

However, I had a liking for the Lair of The White Worm, too.

Fellatio was never quite the same after that film!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 28, 2011 19:49

Hi Mike,

Sorry to learn of Ken's passing today: he seemed like a lot of fun. The only time that our paths crossed sorta confirmed this...just after an incendiary 'Who' show at the Royal Albert Hall in March 2007...

The circumstances surrounding the photo with Mr. Russell were a bit surreal. I had been given Rog's extremely tattered set-list, so I thought it was worth making my way to the stage door to see if by some miracle our paths would cross and perhaps he'd sign it. Logic tends to disappear after a few drinks,I find...

I said "I'll see you in the hotel bar", to my mates and hung around for 10 minutes or so during which time I met Dougal Butler and Robert Plant. Anyway, I realise it isn't happening so cut my losses and walk back to the hotel.

On the way I see that just ahead of me is Mr. and Mrs. Russell and I wonder to myself if asking for a photo would be out-order. I decide to ask politely (as ever)- you never know if you'll get another chance, do you? The guy couldn't have been nicer, and his American wife was very jolly too.

She said jokingly that she'd thought I was a mugger (!) at which point young Ken said he wasn't worried as he'd have seen me off with his secret weapon which he then drew from his jacket...a hairbrush! He then pretended to chase after me down Gloucester Road, wielding his hairbrush! All three of us were laughing like drains too- this just doesn't happen often enough!

Not wanting to outstay my welcome I shook their hands and joined my mates in a state of disbelief. Champagne followed,as did a hangover, early doors on Sunday.

ps tip for today...never leave a set-list unattended in a bar-yep,the efficient staff thought it was scrap and it went to be recycled. D'oh!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2011 19:55

Date: November 28, 2011 19:55

Great story Simon. He'll be missed.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 28, 2011 20:54

Vagina dentalis is a purely Freudian thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home