Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wingless Angels, Reggae and Jamaica
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 25, 2011 00:43

There must be thread about Wingless Angels somewhere, but sorry..I'm feeling lazy,
So, what do you think about, has anyone heard it, haters ? fans ?
I happen to like it, perfect sunday record to cool down..Any reggae fans ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 00:44 by seitan.

Re: Wingless Angels, Reggae and Jamaica
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 25, 2011 01:53

Yeah, I like both CD's, but not always.
Every now and then I love to listen to them.
As you say "perfect sunday record to cool down", doesn't have to be a sunday though smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 14:57

I really love reggae, but somehow never checked these out. Does Keith sing on any of the songs, or are they just sort of jamming tracks?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:27

Lynd8
Does Keith sing on any of the songs, or are they just sort of jamming tracks?

hm: neither.
Keith's vocal voice is audible on a track or two of the first album, and his guitar voice is all over the second one.
the second one is probably more "accessible" but they're both beautiful albums

Date: November 27, 2011 15:57

I think its one of the coolest things Keith has done- and real proof that is keith more than just a rock n roller, - not that there´s anything wrong with rock n rollers, but as real musician it was great to see keith breaking new musical grounds for himself by producing and playing something that he has never done with the Stones.

Wingless Angels made me respect him even more as a musician. And I think that´s important to remeber on this site, since some many "tourists" have been insulting this 70 year old man on this site for growing old...Just enjoy all the music he has done.

If Wingless Angels dont break any new ground for Keith ...then I dont know what ground you are walking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 16:08 by seitan.

Date: November 27, 2011 16:06

Lynd8
I really love reggae, but somehow never checked these out. Does Keith sing on any of the songs, or are they just sort of jamming tracks?

The song " Write My Name" will give you clear idea what it´s all about:
Listen to this:
( i think it's freakin beautifull)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 16:09 by seitan.

Date: November 27, 2011 16:35

Feel free to post your favourite reggae tracks
or comment on Stones reggae songs

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: November 27, 2011 17:23

seitan

Date: November 27, 2011 17:54

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 27, 2011 18:30

I wouldn't call the Wingless Angels reggae, really. It's nyabinghi music, older than reggae.

Wingless Angels are the reason I gave Keith some CDs from Mauritius, traditional sega music, which he enjoyed a lot. Therefore the Wingless Angels are very special for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 19:02 by gwen.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 18:47

I must admit that I'm far more into Reggae these days than I've ever been, and I owe it entirely to my 7 year old son, who just absolutely adores Bob Marley. To him, there is no other music these days LOL So, to help feed that fire, I've purchased several Marley albums, and I'm beginning to branch to his kids as well. I have a few Ziggy albums, and some are pretty good. I have the Marley Boyz disc, and a Ky-Mani album that I really love. In fact, I can't get over how much Ky-Mani sounds like Bob.

I'd really only had Legend and Peter Tosh's Greatest Hits before my son got into it, and now it's really expanded into a more vast place on my CD shelves, including a couple of Marley box sets....Great stuff.

I'd wanted to take him to see the Wailers last Wednesday, but since we were hosting Thanksgiving dinner the next day, it wasn't a popular idea with the Mrs. I guess I'll have to hope that they come back to Syracuse soon..........

Date: November 27, 2011 18:57

gwen
I would call the Wingless Angels reggae, really. It's nyabinghi music, older than reggae.

if you meant you wouldn't really call the Angels reggae, since it's in fact nyabinghi:
i was thinking the same thing quite loudly when i posted my previous post :E

meanwhile, it was pretty rude of the uploader to leave Toots & the Maytals off the credits for this one,
but it shines anyway:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 19:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:07

with sssoul
if you meant you wouldn't call the Angels reggae, but something older

Thank you dear sssoul. Sunday's pop corn is way too strong. Hope you liked the sega.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2011 21:00

Toots has been credited with giving Reggae music it's name..spelling it 'Reggay' in the title of this Maytals tune from 1968:

When asked about giving "Reggae" its name, Toots said:
"People tell me that, but when I did it, I didn't know. There was the beat in Jamaica, reggae was played long before I started singing.
And there was a slang, like a nickname for someone who don't dress properly - like if you are barefoot, people would call you 'streggae.'
They say "hey, that guy is streggae, don't talk to him." a girl don't dress properly, like don't have on any top, they call her streggae.
So one morning, one Tuesday morning, we just said 'Let's go along and do some reggae.' Those days we'd just make stuff up, anything.
A bird flies around the corner, you write a song about it. So we just say 'Do the reggay, do the reggay,' and that's it. A few words, y'know?
And nobody paid it any mind until it started to go all over the world. I saw it in the Guinness Book of Records.
So I thank God that I did something good, and I didn't even plan it."

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 27, 2011 21:58

SweetThing
seitan

Ronnie really is the Forrest Gump of Music.

Date: November 27, 2011 23:12

VoodooLounge13
I must admit that I'm far more into Reggae these days than I've ever been, and I owe it entirely to my 7 year old son, who just absolutely adores Bob Marley. To him, there is no other music these days LOL So, to help feed that fire, I've purchased several Marley albums, and I'm beginning to branch to his kids as well. I have a few Ziggy albums, and some are pretty good. I have the Marley Boyz disc, and a Ky-Mani album that I really love. In fact, I can't get over how much Ky-Mani sounds like Bob.

I'd really only had Legend and Peter Tosh's Greatest Hits before my son got into it, and now it's really expanded into a more vast place on my CD shelves, including a couple of Marley box sets....Great stuff.

I'd wanted to take him to see the Wailers last Wednesday, but since we were hosting Thanksgiving dinner the next day, it wasn't a popular idea with the Mrs. I guess I'll have to hope that they come back to Syracuse soon..........

7 year old kid likes Marley - Hey, Your son is cool.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 00:13

Thanks Seitan! And to answer your question, I do like the first Wingless Angels album (don't have the second one yet). Haven't listened to it in awhile though.....makes me wonder if my son would like that one, too. Think I'll give it a try....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 28, 2011 21:02

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home