Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brian Jones' Best Live Stones Performance?
Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:28

Hopefully some (even part complete) concert that was filmed & is available on DVD/VHS. Just curious.

Re: Brian Jones' Best Live Stones Performance?
Posted by: Silverwaste ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:35

About DVD/VHS, I don't know a thing, I am very sorry.

Still, I know some recordings of the Stones live performances in the 60s.

Here - Viva Les Bootlegs - there is a collection, only audio, of their concerts in the Olympia, Paris in 66, 67 and 68.

I have downloaded some videos in a Pirate Bay pack called "The Rolling Stones - The Ultimate 60's Video Collection", which actually features more not-live performances. Still, there are the NME Poll Winners Concerts in April 11th and 26th, 1965. If you want to search on Youtube, these are the songs they played:

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Pain In My Heart
Around and Around
The Last Time

Not Fade Away
I Just Want To Make Love To You
I'm All Right

By now, I remember these ones, notably, I will search my archives and update this post.

PS:

Here, they play only a song live:

Here, Dean Martin presents The Stones and they play:

I am sorry, this is my first post.
I will try to update it with more content smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 19:46 by Silverwaste.

Date: November 29, 2011 15:49

Thanks for the info. You're great thumbs up

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:38

I would say this is the peak of his popularity with the Stones and his best performance.

I notice Jagger is using different words for the chorus than usual.

Girl I am going to miss you, which is nicer than Still I am going to miss you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 19:46 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:44

that Sullivan Ruby Tuesday wasn't a full-fledged performance, though -
it was one of those vocals + playback scenarios
(the 64 and 65 Sullivan shows were genuine performances, though)

i love that 1964 NME performance very fiercely

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:48

Silverwaste
there is a collection, only audio, of their concerts in the Olympia, Paris in 66, 67 and 68.
You mean 65,66 and 67 winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:50

Youngie
Hopefully some (even part complete) concert that was filmed & is available on DVD/VHS. Just curious.

Just get this one for christmas, you won't regret it winking smiley

TAMI Show

HMN

Date: December 4, 2011 16:45

Just found the TAMI Show DVD at a great price. Ordered.

Thanks all.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2011 00:02

Brian's performance of Little Red Rooster on Ed Sullivan is a full on live performance. The Arthur Haynes show from 1964 has Brian playing his famous I Wanna Be Your Man solo.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 5, 2011 00:36

NME '68

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 5, 2011 04:26

Silverwaste
Here, they play only a song live:

At the end when the host introduces the band, notice how Brian steps in behind Mick and starts answering questions to show everyone he is the leader of the band. Then he insults Mick by saying that he is popular with the men instead of the women.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 5, 2011 10:06

Hard to pick one as sadly we have so few. This (audio only) is well worth a listen:

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2011 11:02

Now, when listening to that Honolulu show first time for ages, Brian's guitar riff in "Get Off of My Cloud" really stands out. It is really catchy and genious in its simplicity. I wonder why on earth they didn't used it better in the original recording? "Get Off of My Cloud" wasn't ALO's brightest production example in the first place but I see there a missed chance; the riff could have constitute the songs the way the riffs in "The Last Time" and "Satisfaction" do.(But then again: it made #1 in both sides of Atlantic so who am I to judge?grinning smiley)

Love the feeling of the show, the fun; Charlie's getting the song wrong, etc. They all - the band, the screaming chicks - were so young and innocent sounding there... just having fun. It is incredible how differnt it all was in their next American Tour in 1969... So serious and important musically and contextually...

It would be a dream to have a great document of Brian era show. Especially 1967 European Tour would be interesting from a musical point of view. The raw bootleg stuff we have gives clues that the band was actually transforming from the pure pop sounds of 1966 to more rougher rock sounds already there. But I am afraid there does not exist such a thing.

A wet dream would have an early rhythm & blues show from the Richmond days or something... But this is just dreaming... I wonder if there are more stuff in teh vaults they recorded for GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! UK EP (not American LP)?

- Doxa

Date: December 5, 2011 11:28

Keith's fuzz-sound, Charlie's "stand up" and Brian's playing. Simply a fantastic show grinning smiley

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 5, 2011 13:05

Brian's playing is a bit of a mystery to me.

He doesn't seem to play a straight blues solo without slide yet I think he was quite capable of doing it.

There are touches of a solo in that live "Get Off My Cloud" riff.

It seems like there might have been a Angus/Malcolm sort of arrangement between Keith and Brian with Keith taking all the solos except for the slide solos.

The slide solos are just as hard to play as a regular solo would be and so I don't think it's a technique thing as to why Brian wasn't playing lead solos and Brian could play lead riffs just fine even on the Sitar.

From what I've read, Brian didn't seem to be that interested in Chuck Berry type lead playing and of course Keith was and the Chuck Berry type lead playing is all over the early stones.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 5, 2011 13:05

The Sicilian
Then he insults Mick by saying that he is popular with the men instead of the women.
I don't think it was meant as an insult. It's a joke - a typical "young man" joke. Even though Brian said it on TV I promise you that they all said those kind of stuff backstage.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 5, 2011 15:30

tonterapi
The Sicilian
Then he insults Mick by saying that he is popular with the men instead of the women.
I don't think it was meant as an insult. It's a joke - a typical "young man" joke. Even though Brian said it on TV I promise you that they all said those kind of stuff backstage.

I realize the joking part, but not in 1964. A very conservative audience of the time probably didn't think so. Anyhow he went out of his way to make the comment and he embarrassed Mick. But he took it in stride. Brian's attempt to be an alpha male.

It's one thing to joke off camera with the fellas quite another to be joked with on a public broadcast and live audience. Especially about gay issues that had everyone hiding in closets back then and even today.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: December 5, 2011 16:21

The Sicilian
tonterapi
The Sicilian

I realize the joking part, but not in 1964. A very conservative audience of the time probably didn't think so. Anyhow he went out of his way to make the comment and he embarrassed Mick. But he took it in stride. Brian's attempt to be an alpha male.

It's one thing to joke off camera with the fellas quite another to be joked with on a public broadcast and live audience. Especially about gay issues that had everyone hiding in closets back then and even today.

Brian was showing his dominance in the group by making Mick the butt of his joke. Brian was the leader of the Stones at that point.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 5, 2011 17:44

Doxa

I wonder why on earth they didn't used it better in the original recording?

- Doxa

There is an alternate mix of Cloud in circulation that has Brian's riff much louder. Agree it's a shame it's so buried, and also agree a high quality recording where BJ is actually audible would be fantastic.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2011 17:58

howled
Brian's playing is a bit of a mystery to me.

He doesn't seem to play a straight blues solo without slide yet I think he was quite capable of doing it.

Perhaps he simply wasn't interested in playing non slide solos, or felt he was better with slide than without. Keith was a strong willed fella and he had the chops to be playing them anyway.

Maybe there was an agreement between them that Brian would play the slide solo's and Keith the non slide solo's? Compromise solution?

Who knows for sure!? It's also a bit of a mystery to me too as to why he never really played like that, atleast on stones recordings. confused smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2011 18:01

The Sicilian

I realize the joking part, but not in 1964.

Ok, no gay jokes in 1964, no tiny todger jokes in 2010?

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-05 19:05 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2011 18:13

mitchflorida1
The Sicilian
tonterapi
The Sicilian

Brian was showing his dominance in the group by making Mick the butt of his joke. Brian was the leader of the Stones at that point.

I think the whole interplay is kind of the reason we like the Stones. It's inappropriate for Brian to say such a thing on live TV, but it reflects a rebellion that is the soul of the group. You can see in their surliness and disdain for guys like Mike Douglas and Ed Sullivan that they weren't going to put up with show business b.s. They'd already tried to sell out with the matching jackets and they were over all that. Modern audiences don't know, or care, about Brian's contributions to the overall sound, look and attitude of the Stones. He was musically more advanced than the others, dressed better than any of them, and acted like an a-hole before the others did. It would be nice if they could find a small way to acknowledge Brian on the 50th Anniversary tour, like they did at the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame induction. And Ian too.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 5, 2011 18:30

Green Lady
Hard to pick one as sadly we have so few. This (audio only) is well worth a listen:

Fantastic, Green Lady! They need to go back to having Charlie introduce a song.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 5, 2011 19:24

The Sicilian

It's the rebel in Brian that's talking of course. smiling smiley He knew that he was crossing a certain line with that joke. He took a cheap shot at Mick using him as a joke. But I think the "alpha male" thing is reading too much in it. I see it more like a Beatles-joke but in a more Stones rock n roll version.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 5, 2011 22:04

Brian's slide guitar playing on 'Little Red Rooster' from the Ed Sullivan Show 1965. It's one of the very best Stones live tv performances too, in my opinion.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:02

Of the individual footages we have now of Brian era live, I think the NME 1964 is the best one. It is great evidence of the energy of the band, and especially of Brian's stage presence. The way he plays harmonica in "Not Fade Away" and "I Just Wnana Make Love To You" is lamost like playing lead or solo guitar. I can't recall when a musician in a rock band concenrating 'only' in playing harmonica could have such a marvellous effect to the whole sound. Also the way Brian picks up tambourine during "I'm Alright", and pushes the band to more intensivity, gives a nice of guy's skills as a performer.

Another great is, of course, TAMI show 1964. There Brian plays basically "just" very basic rhythm guitar, But his touch, and sometimes over-playing or speeding up the tempo with a purpose - and of course, all the time looking 'cool' - is a nice of his team player mentality. I especially like that little dramatic speeding up in "Off The Hook" and during Keith's solo in "It's all Over Now". It's those kind of things make early Stones such a grooving band.

(Note: bloody hell Bill Wyman smokes in both clips!)

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:11

Nothing from the Brian era tops the TAMI show. One of the greatest performances by any band ever.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 6, 2011 00:04

Doxa
Of the individual footages we have now of Brian era live, I think the NME 1964 is the best one. It is great evidence of the energy of the band, and especially of Brian's stage presence. The way he plays harmonica in "Not Fade Away" and "I Just Wnana Make Love To You" is lamost like playing lead or solo guitar. I can't recall when a musician in a rock band concenrating 'only' in playing harmonica could have such a marvellous effect to the whole sound. Also the way Brian picks up tambourine during "I'm Alright", and pushes the band to more intensivity, gives a nice of guy's skills as a performer.

- Doxa

Brian on harmonica was just bloody fantastic -in my mind it was his instrument, the one he truly mastered. It wasn't until I heard Lester Buttler and James Cotton that I truly appreciated Brian's harmonica skills -he never had the same kind of technique, but the sheer power and energy was unsurpassed.

Mathijs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 6, 2011 00:18

TAMI show is great I think they try to do there best a bit to much, the energy on NME 1964 is much better..........

Date: December 6, 2011 00:35

Doxa
Now, when listening to that Honolulu show first time for ages, Brian's guitar riff in "Get Off of My Cloud" really stands out. It is really catchy and genious in its simplicity. I wonder why on earth they didn't used it better in the original recording? "Get Off of My Cloud" wasn't ALO's brightest production example in the first place but I see there a missed chance; the riff could have constitute the songs the way the riffs in "The Last Time" and "Satisfaction" do.(But then again: it made #1 in both sides of Atlantic so who am I to judge?grinning smiley)

Love the feeling of the show, the fun; Charlie's getting the song wrong, etc. They all - the band, the screaming chicks - were so young and innocent sounding there... just having fun. It is incredible how differnt it all was in their next American Tour in 1969... So serious and important musically and contextually...

It would be a dream to have a great document of Brian era show. Especially 1967 European Tour would be interesting from a musical point of view. The raw bootleg stuff we have gives clues that the band was actually transforming from the pure pop sounds of 1966 to more rougher rock sounds already there. But I am afraid there does not exist such a thing.

A wet dream would have an early rhythm & blues show from the Richmond days or something... But this is just dreaming... I wonder if there are more stuff in teh vaults they recorded for GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! UK EP (not American LP)?

- Doxa
I think Brian's riff was used the right way. It is not really a riff; more of an effect; a whiny kind of twang on top of Keith's aggressive strum. I don't mean 'whiny' in a negative sense, can not think of another word. So with Brian's line it is not so much a matter of notes, but of effect. It also says something that Brian is not playing it with a pattern so much. It is slightly varied everytime he plays it. Brian, I think, knewq very well what the song needed. IMO Brian often gave in his own volume or prominence for sake of the overall song.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home