Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Favourite Song On The New Brussels...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:46

I seem to be listening to Star Star a lot....(followed by GS and Tcool smiley. That's when I'm not listening to the whole thing, of course. Mick's vocals are incredible...you can easily make out all the lyrics. Not getting tired of this at all...

Re: Favourite Song On The New Brussels...
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:14

From that period, its always going to be that night's version of YCAGWYW, with Taylor's solo.
How can you pick one? This is when the band was at its peak in every way...

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:14

I'll go with YCAGWYW... always been a favorite of mine from this Era...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:37

Ive maintained for years that the version of Midnight Rambler on the Brussels affair bootleg was the greatest single performance of any song I've ever heard the Stones do.

So, as theyve used the same version on the official release, its an easy answer.

Thats one hell of a version of YCAGWYW too, it has to be said.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:45

I initially though YCAGWYW as well but I will have to reexamine Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:56

Heartbreaker....Its gonna tear your world apart.

Ok and Get What You Want too.

Date: November 23, 2011 02:58

Midnight Rambler was my next choice. On these two songs, the weaving between Keith and Mick is at its highest peak...
Love those howls from Jagger during the whipping section....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 03:31

Teeny tiny criticism of Midnight Rambler is that it's taken at a very fast tempo. I am sticking with Tumbling Dice as my favorite for now, but I love all of it.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 03:39

Rambler is damn fast.

I'll go with Brown Sugar: great and always reminds me that there's a whole show to go.

Love that feeling.

Date: November 23, 2011 04:11

71Tele
Teeny tiny criticism of Midnight Rambler is that it's taken at a very fast tempo. I am sticking with Tumbling Dice as my favorite for now, but I love all of it.

Love the outro of that song during this period....
'You got-ta...'

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:09

Combining a bit of what Tele and Gazza have said, my opinion is that if parts of Rambler were at the tempo of Ya-Ya's, it might have been "perfect". As is, still "the best" and/or "my favorite".

Side note: I may have a new favorite Stones album. I have never purchased any bootlegs before this... technicly still haven't.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:00

I have to agree with Tele71 about Tumbling Dice. Simply stunning! Jagger is on fire, especially at the end... Another favorite is Heartbreaker! I was very surprised by how good it sounded and I love the funk breakdown near the end. Very cool.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:27

I completely agree with GAZZA- hands down the best version of any song I've ever heard the Stones or any band ever play - a masterpiece.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:30

midnight rambler

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:34

The GHS songs come alive on Brussels. "Dancing With Mr. D" and "Heartbreaker" are really mediocrities on the studio versions, but they sizzle here, as does "Angie". I generally don't like it when they play an acoustic songs with electric guitars, but here it really works, special kudos to Bill and Taylor. Wish they could have pulled off "Coming Down Again", but that's just asking too much,

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:40

Midnight Rambler on Ya-Ya's is much better IMO, that's the ultimate version of that number. On Brussels I have to go with Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice and YCAGWYW. Those songs have never been played better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 08:41 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 23, 2011 09:00

chelskeith
I completely agree with GAZZA- hands down the best version of any song I've ever heard the Stones or any band ever play - a masterpiece.

Yes, and YCAGWYW and TD right there too....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 23, 2011 09:19

I could directly quote Gazza here. That version "Midnight Rambler" is THE ultimate performance ever by the band. And I don't get the criticism of the tempo at all - the point is to be as fast as possible in the outro - that's the dramatism and the contrasts in tempo built in the song so far. During the process they cover all the significant forms of rock from Chicago blues to 70's hard guitar rock and even to the becoming punk. When in 1969 they still were like studying the song and its potentia; in 1973 they simply nail it and expending it to any direction; all the potential is accomplished there. It's an ultimate rock and roll performance by anyone, ever. There is no way one could be more perfect in the style of this kind of music. The key song of the whole genre. If anyone ever doubts the the cliche "the greatest rock and roll band in the world", here is the evidence that should convince anyone.

But if we leave that outstanding masterpiece out, I would say the song mostly surprised me here is "You Can't Always Get What You Want". That's the best version of the song ever, and made me to rediscover the awesomety - is that a word? - of it. In fact, as a tandem with "Midnight Rambler" following it, they make ahelluva 'rock anthem' duo. The performances are wonderful through the whole AFFAIR but it is those two which make it truely transcendental level. To use Keith's terms: The best Stones ever. It also sounds to me that those two songs are the cornerstones or real highlights of the whole drama in which the band is able to show its all musical capacity. The songs prior them build up the tension; the four piece GOATS HEAD SOUP song section is almost like anti-climax to make the people ready for them, after being put heaven first with the incredible start of the show. Then the four songs after the duo just simply rocks the audiences lungs out with no hostages attitude (I need to point out that the ending with "Jumpin' Jack Flash"/"Street Fighting Man" medlay is the hardest rocking, most energetic official evidence of the band ever.)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 09:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: Norbert VANEGUE ()
Date: November 23, 2011 09:34

Midnight rambler....

Date: November 23, 2011 09:46

Star Star was the biggest surprise, because the other 73 versions I've heard weren't that good.

But this Midnight Rambler-version is just something else - love it!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 10:06

I'm really digging Heartbreaker. I've always really liked the song, and this is the first live version I've heard. There seem to be a few errors, but it's still great. Taylor's guitar work is really cool, but not always as prominent in the mix as it should be, but it is audible enough to make me love it.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 23, 2011 10:57

Doxa
And I don't get the criticism of the tempo at all - the point is to be as fast as possible in the outro - that's the dramatism and the contrasts in tempo built in the song so far. During the process they cover all the significant forms of rock from Chicago blues to 70's hard guitar rock and even to the becoming punk. When in 1969 they still were like studying the song and its potentia; in 1973 they simply nail it and expending it to any direction; all the potential is accomplished there.

But if we leave that outstanding masterpiece out, I would say the song mostly surprised me here is "You Can't Always Get What You Want". That's the best version of the song ever, and made me to rediscover the awesomety - is that a word? - of it. The songs prior them build up the tension; the four piece GOATS HEAD SOUP song section is almost like anti-climax to make the people ready for them, after being put heaven first with the incredible start of the show. Then the four songs after the duo just simply rocks the audiences lungs out with no hostages attitude (I need to point out that the ending with "Jumpin' Jack Flash"/"Street Fighting Man" medlay is the hardest rocking, most energetic official evidence of the band ever.)

- Doxa

I think 'Midnight Rambler' is actually very theatrical, and really rather brutal on BRUSSELS AFFAIR, where Jagger, especially, is playing to the audience for effect, on a large scale, whereas the original always seems much more subtle and sinister. Yes, i'd agree that the BRUSSELS AFFAIR version does really effectively build on those elements found on LET IT BLEED to a rather grand scale, and for me, taken over their entire career, perhaps 'Midnight Rambler' is the Stones most consistently well played number. However, i have always also had a soft spot for the original version.

I agree about 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' and alongside Jagger's great vocal, and the wonderfully effective guitar solos, i think the vocal duet between Mick and Keith, is one of the most majestic parts of the song. As much as i have always loved the original LET IT BLEED version i have always suspected it may be a touch overblown. However, on BRUSSELS AFFAIR it transcends into something of great soul and beauty.

'Tumbling Dice' is actually a great version, also, over repeated listens. I love Jagger's new lyrics towards the end of the song, and although there may be versions of the song that rock a little more, the relaxed groove here is really effectively mesmurising.

I don't agree that the four GOATS HEAD SOUP songs are an anti climax at all. I think they actually work remarkably well, and especially considering, apart from 'Angie', they are not as regularly played as the other songs. 'Dancing With Mr D' and 'Heartbreaker', perhaps grow in stature in a live environment, and 'Angie', is always pretty much a Stones evergreen whenever it is played. 'Star Star' is one of the best live versions i've heard. I think, though the version of 'Heartbreaker' included on the original BRUSSELS AFFAIR bootleg from London remains the most definitive. Those Taylor guitar solos seem strangely muted on the offical BRUSSELS AFFAIR, and although overall the song is mightily impressive, i don't think it quite gells as effectively. It's great to hear a little of Billy Preston on vocals, though, when he responds to Jagger.

If there is one song i'd perhaps consider non essential, it is 'All Down The Line' which while energetic, isn't really up to a number of those other live versions from the period. 'Rip This Joint' i like a lot, but if i had a choice between it and the GOATS HEAD SOUP songs found here, i tend to think they are the more essential.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 12:54 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:02

MR

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:12

I really love HEARTBREAKEr on this one and the version of Tumbling Dice, with Mick as a "storyteller" is phantastic, too, just as the rest!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:14

Rambler hands down, and that has been so since I first heard it 25 years ago. This is just the best performance they've ever done on stage of any song. Further to this, I am really surprised about Happy -the intro by Charlie is just fantastic, and the song is so encredibly tight, wheras in '72 it could be quite shambolic and in '73 a sonic mess. Star Star surprised me -it's a track I normally skip from '73 shows, but this version really is good. All GHS tracks just really cook on this release.

The only tracks I have my doubts on are ADTL, JJF -the Brussels 1st versions are simply so much better, and SFM: the London version is the ultimate version of this track. On Brussels 2nd they sound like they ran out of steam.

But the biggest surprise, as with Ft Worth 78 DVD is Jagger -I just never noticed so much what a fantastic singer he was. His voice is so strong, deep and powerfull: utterly fantastic.

Mathijs

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:20

My favourite at the moment is that epic YCAGWYW - but I've got lots more listening to do.

The point about the four Goats Head Soup songs is that most of the audience were hearing them for the first time live - and many for the first time ever. GHS had only been out a month - maybe less in Belgium - and Angie two months. You can hear the crowd recognise Angie a few bars in, but the rest were more or less unknown territory. Star Star is a great performance and gets a well-deserved big cheer at the end.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:31

YCAGWYW is absolutely awesome

I also have a special feeling for Angie, with its exclusive french verse never heard anywhere else.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:39

Edward, when I was talking about 1969 version of "Midnight Rambler" I was thinking of YA-YA's version, not the original studio version. I have always been a huge fan of the original version and I don't think any live version surpasses it in its efficiency, subtlity and darkness. It has a tremendous atmosphere. In fact, I don't think any BEGGARS/BLEED material actually can be made any 'better' in live surroundings, just different. They were a perfect studio band at the time, and those recordings are as perfect as they can be. I love love the 'dualist' existence of the songs of the era: studio and live versions - they are many times so different, and mostly wonderful in both forms.

Comparing BRUSSELS versions to YA-YA'S - there is another thread to that - but sometimes in the evolution of the song it is captured best in its first, more 'formal' treatment with a discipline; sometimes it sounds better when it is developed loosely further. I think "Midnight Rambler" of 1973 is clearly an evidence of the latter. But that would not be the case with "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Street Fighting Man". I don't think they would nail the songs ever better than they did in 1969 when they played them fresh and raw. But the condition of the band had in 1973, all cylinders fully developed, was perfect for more challenging songs, such as "Rambler", "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want". They could no anything with those then.

The word "anti-climax" was probably too strong for the effect GOATS HEAD SOUP songs has in set list. I think they have a crucial part in the whole. With those they wanted to break new grounds, make some new experiments, and test the crowd. Or give them a little rest to sit down and listen more carefully to 'learn' new things. But I think the show clearly shows that their songcraft ablities had clearly decreased by then. Even they play well, the songs are second-class caliber in compared to the stuff with which they just few years earlier had shaked the world. Even EXILE songs don't have that 'aura' in them any longer. I think their whole force as a band with a message, comes alive in these two anthems ("Can't Always Get", "Rambler") - songs that were not any hit singles but actually b-sides or album tracks. Even EXILE numbers sound basically just 'any rockers to make the crowd to move their asses' but don't have that specific aura of danger and era-defining mysticism in them. This is not a try to mock the great songs of EXILE or GOATS HEAD SOUP but just to remind about the incredible standard of the the material with which the Stones were coming from then, and which gave the the magical, almost transcendenal credibility they had then. They would never write anything to the career-defining effect of "Jumpin Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man", "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Honky Tonk Women", etc. That's signature, 'once in a life time' stuff for them. I think that can be heard very well alraedy in BRUSSELS AFFAIR.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 11:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:48

Favourite....Midnight Rambler. Out of the new ones...YCAGWYW and Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 11:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:55

The classics - before they became "warhorses" - are present and correct in magnificent form as has rightly been observed in this thread, but for sheer swagger, I reckon that's the best Starfecker that I've ever heard!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home