Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Date: July 23, 2014 15:12

Having heard through the Pathe Marconi-tapes numerous times, the distinct country flavour (No Spare Parts, Do You Think, We Had It All, You Win Again) on the bonus disc was a big surprise. It is indeed excellent thumbs up

Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 23, 2014 15:56

Green Lady
At least with this release it was possible to get the bonus music without having to buy a boxful of overpriced souvenirs. Yes, the bonus CD is a great album in its own right.

agreed. Love the Bonus cd . Think its very good. One can complain about it, but i dont.
Jeroen

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2014 16:24

DandelionPowderman
MY is on the Rarities-cd. Gold is on Sucking In The 70s. Both albums are available, no?

I agrer about the having everything-part.

Rarities and Sucking In The 70's (which also has a great 1978 live version of When The Whip Comes Down - unavailable elsewhere...!) are out of print afaik - not rereleased by Universal so far...so, unavailable in theory, but of course available as used items on ebay and elsewhere...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 23, 2014 16:31

I got Rarities and Sucking... from eBay recently. You shouldn't have any problems getting hold of either CD.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2014 17:30

Father Ted
I got Rarities and Sucking... from eBay recently. You shouldn't have any problems getting hold of either CD.

Rewind and Sucking were released a few years ago after being OOP for a very long time.

I think they were subsequently scrapped but shouldn't be too hard to find on EBAY. Rarities too.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 23, 2014 18:46

latebloomer
Aquamarine
I thought (and still think) that the bonus CD was the best Stones album in years, I play it all the time, unlike, say, ABB.

Same here Aqua...love, love, love it. Wish they would do one of those great songs in concert, but can't see it ever happening.

There's always hope one of the bonus songs gets played live. Look what happened to Silver Train this year!! Lots of candidates on the SG bonus disc for sure.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 23, 2014 19:01

Maindefender
latebloomer
Aquamarine
I thought (and still think) that the bonus CD was the best Stones album in years, I play it all the time, unlike, say, ABB.

Same here Aqua...love, love, love it. Wish they would do one of those great songs in concert, but can't see it ever happening.

There's always hope one of the bonus songs gets played live. Look what happened to Silver Train this year!! Lots of candidates on the SG bonus disc for sure.

They blew it by packaging all the Exile/SG songs the way they did. Even if they didn't want to call it a new album, an album containing just the unreleased material would have sold more and given them a reason to perform it live. They did it with Doom and Gloom and One More Shot off a greatest hits comp. Would have given MT some opportunities on the Exile songs where there was no previous live history baggage, and the SG tunes would have showcased the best era of Ronnie and Keith together.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 23, 2014 21:00

Very disappointing just the fact there is 20 minutes empty on the bonus cd.... Sad

Date: July 23, 2014 21:34

Gooo
Very disappointing just the fact there is 20 minutes empty on the bonus cd.... Sad

Fits perfectly on vinyl...

Date: July 23, 2014 22:19

DandelionPowderman
Gooo

I agree, it's about the quality of the music not quantity.

The deluxe disc off Some Girls was a revelation.

I also agree from a marketing standpoint, they should have released this separately. It's just a damn good album on it's own, and doesn't really sound all that much like disc one, excepting Faraway Eyes.

Date: July 23, 2014 22:20

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Gooo

I agree, it's about the quality of the music not quantity.

The deluxe disc off Some Girls was a revelation.

I also agree from a marketing standpoint, they should have released this separately. It's just a damn good album on it's own, and doesn't really sound all that much like disc one, excepting Faraway Eyes.

+1

Date: July 23, 2014 22:27

Dare I say Fiji Jim , everything turning to gold, the way she held me tight, instrumental version of anything on some girls would of been QUALITY to fill the empty 20 minutes on bonus disc???

Date: July 23, 2014 22:29

There are no "empty 20 minutes".

Date: July 23, 2014 22:30

Gooo
Dare I say Fiji Jim , everything turning to gold, the way she held me tight, instrumental version of anything on some girls would of been QUALITY to fill the empty 20 minutes on bonus disc???

You dare.

But I think they can be more creative than just dumping everything they have extra on a 2 CD set and being done with it.

I'm not suggesting they necessarily go the path of releasing something along the lines of a Tattoo You 2, but I think if they staged releases of older material as 40-45 minute albums, where the songs complemented each other, even thematic, it wouldn't be a 'new' album, but it would be an album, not ODDS and SODS.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:37

pity they didn't play anything live from SG deluxe...Talahassee Lassie, You Win Again, Do You Think I Really Care, No Spare parts,We Had It All...wow....best since TY...no doubt.

Date: July 24, 2014 04:48

That would of been cool

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:55

...just to add...thank you Rolling Stones for releasing SG deluxe...what a treat.

Date: July 24, 2014 06:10

I opened up the deluxe box today...quite an indulgence really, but it is cool. The 'postcards', the poster, the book, I especially like the Beast of Burden vinyl 45 with pic sleeve.

For me, that alone was the price of admission!

Date: July 24, 2014 06:51

DandelionPowderman

I'm not sure if you're saying that because you liked what was on the album or not, but theoretically, there were. A typical CD (at least CD-Rs) can hold 700 MB of information or 80 minutes (whichever comes first), so I know that when I burn a CD, I burn 70-79 minutes. Most public (official) music releases, however, only do roughly one hour to one hour and five minutes worth of time on their CDs.

treaclefingers
I opened up the deluxe box today...quite an indulgence really, but it is cool. The 'postcards', the poster, the book, I especially like the Beast of Burden vinyl 45 with pic sleeve.

I'd consider getting the CimD box set before the SG set just due to the fact that the former has a soundtrack CD, a CD/vinyl of 1965 concert recordings, and, if it's anything like the L&G box set (great set, BTW), I'll get a...REPLICA SCARF!!! Oh, wait...Just get a movie poster replica and film cells... Neat... winking smiley

The SG box set does sound cool, though...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-24 06:52 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Date: July 24, 2014 10:58

I know, BeforeTheyMakeMeRun. But not all cds are filled to the max with music. Very few, actually...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 24, 2014 12:07

There is an alternate single version of Before They Make Me Run that needs to make the light of day. It's cool, slightly different bridgework and a tad laid back.

Date: July 24, 2014 16:24

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
DandelionPowderman

I'm not sure if you're saying that because you liked what was on the album or not, but theoretically, there were. A typical CD (at least CD-Rs) can hold 700 MB of information or 80 minutes (whichever comes first), so I know that when I burn a CD, I burn 70-79 minutes. Most public (official) music releases, however, only do roughly one hour to one hour and five minutes worth of time on their CDs.

treaclefingers

I'd consider getting the CimD box set before the SG set just due to the fact that the former has a soundtrack CD, a CD/vinyl of 1965 concert recordings, and, if it's anything like the L&G box set (great set, BTW), I'll get a...REPLICA SCARF!!! Oh, wait...Just get a movie poster replica and film cells... Neat... winking smiley

The SG box set does sound cool, though...

Thanks for the advice...I do already have both of those as well but your point is well taken. Not every box set is created 'equally'!

Date: July 24, 2014 17:14

What is great about the L&G box? I don't own it myself. The documentary? Any other stuff? I've been enjoying the concert on dvd for decades, but can't really see the upgrade on the official release?

Date: July 24, 2014 23:49

DandelionPowderman
What is great about the L&G box? I don't own it myself. The documentary? Any other stuff? I've been enjoying the concert on dvd for decades, but can't really see the upgrade on the official release?

You are obviously not a complete nerd...the superdeluxe box sets which you generally pay and extra $100 for is for the complete nerd that wants a 'replica scarf' (In the event you want to go as 'Mick Jagger' at Hallowe'en), replica backstage passes (oh yeah, those will come in handy) and ACTUAL film cells from the ORIGINAL movie (so you can show them to friends).

While I am admittedly a nerd, I try to buy stuff like this on sale, because it is rarely actually 'worth it'.

Oh, and then there's the music too I guess.

Date: July 24, 2014 23:59

I'm afraid I am, Treacle. But like you I take my time.

Ordered VL, B2B, ABB and Stripped on vinyl yesterday. Only NS and LL left to complete my official album vinyl collection. Not cheap...

Date: July 25, 2014 00:18

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

You are obviously not a complete nerd...the superdeluxe box sets which you generally pay and extra $100 for is for the complete nerd that wants a 'replica scarf' (In the event you want to go as 'Mick Jagger' at Hallowe'en), replica backstage passes (oh yeah, those will come in handy) and ACTUAL film cells from the ORIGINAL movie (so you can show them to friends).

While I am admittedly a nerd, I try to buy stuff like this on sale, because it is rarely actually 'worth it'.

You got a BACKSTAGE PASS REPLICA?!?! Luckyyy! smiling smiley

The box set has the L&G movie on disc 1, 'Stones In Exile' on disc 2, and 'The Dick Cavett Interviews' and 'Australian Tour Interviews 1973' on disc 3. Can't stand Cavett, but his dry humor paired with Jagger's witty comebacks are great.

Of course it's not worth $66, maybe $35-$45, though...

Date: July 25, 2014 00:23

Thanks, BTMMR.

Date: July 25, 2014 00:50

DandelionPowderman

Ordered VL, B2B, ABB and Stripped on vinyl yesterday. Only NS and LL left to complete my official album vinyl collection. Not cheap...

Nice going!

I was lucky to buy most of those when they first came out, they've really gone up in price haven't they?

But Live Licks IS NOT an official vinyl release, so you don't need to concern yourself with that, unless you're into the 'bootleg' aspect of it.

Date: July 25, 2014 00:51

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

You got a BACKSTAGE PASS REPLICA?!?! Luckyyy! smiling smiley

The box set has the L&G movie on disc 1, 'Stones In Exile' on disc 2, and 'The Dick Cavett Interviews' and 'Australian Tour Interviews 1973' on disc 3. Can't stand Cavett, but his dry humor paired with Jagger's witty comebacks are great.

Of course it's not worth $66, maybe $35-$45, though...

I got it for about $25 from Amazon.co.uk about 18 months ago (including shipping). Yes, that was a very good deal.

I haven't even opened it yet! I already had Stones in Exile and L&G on DVD.

Date: July 25, 2014 01:27

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Nice going!

I was lucky to buy most of those when they first came out, they've really gone up in price haven't they?

But Live Licks IS NOT an official vinyl release, so you don't need to concern yourself with that, unless you're into the 'bootleg' aspect of it.

I know, and I haven't really decided whether I'm going for the bootleg or not.

Yeah, $100+

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home