Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jimi at MSG '69
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: November 19, 2011 18:31

Correct me if I'm wrong, friends and neighbours, but Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin both watched the Ya-Ya's show at Madison Square Garden, right? I know there's the footage of Jimi backstage, but did he watch the whole show?

And wasn't some other famous musician there too, on the night?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: Jimi at MSG '69
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2011 18:35

according to Stanley Booth (who was there) Jimi watched the show from behind Keith's amp

>> And wasn't some other famous musician there too, on the night? <<

you mean like ... Tina Turner? she sure was! :E
no no i mean: what do you mean?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 18:49

Yes, I think Janis Joplin was there too. But I don't know if any other famous musicians that were there.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 19, 2011 19:04

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 19, 2011 19:26

It was Jimi's last birthday. He loved the Stones, especially Mick, and was proud that they had been supportive of him even before he arrived in London in 1966.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 19:34

Weren't Jimi and Mick Taylor friends since at least 67' when The Experience and The Bluesbreaks shared a bill?

Date: November 19, 2011 19:35

stonesrule
It was Jimi's last birthday. He loved the Stones, especially Mick, and was proud that they had been supportive of him even before he arrived in London in 1966.

Really? He was into the Stones' sound that much?

This is quite off the point and random, but sometimes I get really sad about his death. I was born 30-40 years after he died, but I always think he never heard some really great music. Like Exile, Sticky Fingers, Blood on the Tracks, Tom Waits, David Bowie, all were after 1970, and he never got to hear them... Silly thing to spend my time thinking about, but there ya go. grinning smiley

and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Date: November 19, 2011 20:33

Yes, very sad. But Jimi did accomplish so much and he loved his guitars more than anything.

You should be able to find my book on JH in the library -- title is JIMI HENDRIX: THE MAN, THE MAGIC,THE TRUTH. I waited a very long time to write it because I prefer to live in the Now but it was meant for people like you who have soul.

Incidentally, I don't really recall that Janis Joplin was at Madison Square Garden. I could be wrong...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 20:46 by stonesrule.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2011 22:50

stonesrule
Incidentally, I don't really recall that Janis Joplin was at Madison Square Garden. I could be wrong...

Stanley Booth wrote about her being there, and she's in the footage that was released with the YaYas reissue

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2011 23:44

Jimi was just starting to jam on other people's albums when he passed away. He'd contributed to a Steven Stills album and was reputed to be hanging out with Miles Davis, though no tapes have surfaced. I thought Jimi was only friends with Brian, and might have shied away from the rest of the group, but he seems quite comfortable here. He might have gotten around to jamming with the rest of them if he hadn't died.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 19, 2011 23:47

I was at that show and you could see both Jimi and Janis crouching behind the amps,having a good time....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2011 00:12

yorkey
stonesrule

This is quite off the point and random, but sometimes I get really sad about his death. I was born 30-40 years after he died, but I always think he never heard some really great music. Like Exile, Sticky Fingers, Blood on the Tracks, Tom Waits, David Bowie, all were after 1970, and he never got to hear them... Silly thing to spend my time thinking about, but there ya go. grinning smiley

That would make you either 1 or 11 years old....a little young to be posting with a bunch of geriatrics!

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:50

yorkey
stonesrule

Not completely true - Mick sang and played Brown Sugar on guitar for Ike and Tina in the dressing room, and if Jimi was there, he heard it too.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:58

yorkey
Correct me if I'm wrong, friends and neighbours, but Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin both watched the Ya-Ya's show at Madison Square Garden, right? I know there's the footage of Jimi backstage, but did he watch the whole show?

Johnny Thunders is in the audience and is visible near the front in the 'Gimme Shelter' footage

Date: November 20, 2011 02:35

Thanks wwwsoul.

Stanley and I talked a lot about that night but he never mentioned Janis Nor did Jimi.

Not sure I should say this but Janis was not necessarily admired by some of the "guys" because she could be a very sloppy drunk. (ATTENTION KEITH FANS!)

For what it's worth, I liked Janis but then she never crawled all over me spilling the booze out of the bottle. The best I ever saw her, aside from the film of Monterey Pop was at the Hollywood Bowl. She was very sweet and very happy that night.

Date: November 20, 2011 11:36

stonesrule
Yes, very sad. But Jimi did accomplish so much and he loved his guitars more than anything.

You should be able to find my book on JH in the library -- title is JIMI HENDRIX: THE MAN, THE MAGIC,THE TRUTH. I waited a very long time to write it because I prefer to live in the Now but it was meant for people like you who have soul.

Thanks!! Are you really the author? I've seen the book around before on the internet, but I'll never find it here in SA. The music section consists of about 20 books in any library round here. But if I see it on the shelves I'll definitely buy it. :-)

Oh, and were you at the show? Sorry to be digging up the past, hope you don't mind my questions.

treaclefingers

That would make you either 1 or 11 years old....a little young to be posting with a bunch of geriatrics!

Oh, right. What I meant to say was, "born 24 years after he died"!

and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 21, 2011 15:34

Gazza
yorkey

Johnny Thunders is in the audience and is visible near the front in the 'Gimme Shelter' footage

Can you remember where abouts in the film you see him?

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 21, 2011 15:53

vudicus
Can you remember where abouts in the film you see him?

Date: November 21, 2011 18:31

Yorkey, am I right in assuming SA means South America?

If so, Hendrix book is available in Brazil in the well-done Portugese translation

Date: November 21, 2011 18:43

Nope, South Africa. Should have been more specific, sorry!

and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:52

any plans for a book on the Rolling Stones, stonesrule? I look forward to reading your Hendrix work...

thanks

Posted by: JimmyPhelge ()
Date: November 21, 2011 19:41

You can see both Janis and Jimi in the bonus dvd in the yaya's reissue. And someone telling Mick that Dylan will not attend because his son is about to be born.

Date: November 21, 2011 19:49

Yorkey, I should have known it was South Africa!

Is there a library that can request it for you? Publisher is Pan/McMillan in London.

I really don't like to flog my writing on IORR and I think it's up to my various
publishers to sell books...not me.

I am a big fan of libraries and the Hendrix book is in hundreds of them around the world. I read voraciously so my three main libraries in Los Angeles have brought me great joy in the "request" department.

Now on to Duke! My next book, A Beautiful Buzz, comes from deep inside the changing culture circa 1965-1980. The Stones will certainly be there as they have always been my favorite band but I'm not a dirt-disher...or a judge. Just about everyone who mattered during that time period will be included. People I admired and respected, the power and glory of the music etc. And, of course, a few idiots and corrupt "business people." Stuff that hasn't been written about before.

The Stones figure in my Hendrix book as they were. Musically and personally. But they are not major figures because this is a serious book based on how it really was with Jimi. Many tears were shed by his peers at the news of Jimi's death.

I write for the reader...and for history. Accuracy really matters to me.

Can't believe I'm posting all this. I must behave!

Date: November 22, 2011 10:15

I'll definitely find out, thanks stonesrule! I'm on my way to the library now. It must be hard to live in the now when you've had such an interesting life, but I wouldn't really know.

Your other book sounds fascinating as well! Please let us know when you publish it, or let your publishers let us know tongue sticking out smiley

and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home