Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Your favourite Chuck Berry cover version is?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 13, 2017 13:57

For me it's hard to choose between Keith or Ronnie. The Ya Yas versions of Little Queenie and Carol are immense but for sheer attack and danceability nothing can beat Keith's Christmas single or Rod and Ronnie's fabulous Sweet Little Rock'n'Roller.

In fact I'd go so far as saying that when Keith heard Rod's version and Ronnie's playing his fate as a future Rolling Stone was sealed.

Over to you.

or

Re: Your favourite Chuck Berry cover version is?
Date: December 13, 2017 14:05

Hard one...

I think I'll have to go for this track, even though it's not a archtypical Berry-penned tune:

[www.youtube.com]

With this as a good # 2:

[www.youtube.com]

Mike, you know that Chuck's Run Rudolph Run is a cover, right? Written by Johnny Marks and Marvin Brodie. It's a great one anyway thumbs up

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:06

Let It Rock (Leeds 1971)

Date: December 13, 2017 14:10

If live versions are allowed, too, I'll have to give the 1972 Bye Bye Johnny live versions a mention here. What a band!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:14

When I was in college in a band we used to play Nadine. My fsvourite cover version.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()

Yep - live version, boots - anything goes. Just anyone doing Chuck and take it all the way to the top.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:20

DandelionPowderman
If live versions are allowed, too, I'll have to give the 1972 Bye Bye Johnny live versions a mention here. What a band!

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs upthat's my favorite one

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:37

Around and around - Tami show

Around and around - Love you live

little Queenie - Get yer ya yas out

Date: December 13, 2017 14:56

Does CBII still check in here? Be great to hear who he thinks made the best Chuck cover or indeed what his dad thought for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 15:20 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:59

Around and Around. Second place Roll Over Beethevon and then Route 66. Though I love them all.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:19

School Days by AC/DC
Johnny Be Good by Jimi Hendrix
Route 66 by The Rolling Stones
Back In The USA by MC5
Let It Rock by The Yardbirds
Let It Rock by Motörhead
Memphis by the Faces
Around and Around by The Animals
Beautiful Delilah by The Kinks
Little Queenie Live by The Rolling Stones

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:33

DandelionPowderman
...Mike, you know that Chuck's Run Rudolph Run is a cover, right? Written by Johnny Marks and Marvin Brodie. It's a great one anyway thumbs up

Hmmm... I was going to say Run Rudolph Run too, as it’s my favourite Christmas Carol. (Damn...now I want to say Carol...) But wasn’t Chuck the first to record it, based on his melody? Even though he didn’t pen the lyrics, I’d think his counts as the original and the Stones covered him. Wanna fight? winking smiley

Date: December 13, 2017 15:40

SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman
...Mike, you know that Chuck's Run Rudolph Run is a cover, right? Written by Johnny Marks and Marvin Brodie. It's a great one anyway thumbs up

Hmmm... I was going to say Run Rudolph Run too, as it’s my favourite Christmas Carol. (Damn...now I want to say Carol...) But wasn’t Chuck the first to record it, based on his melody? Even though he didn’t pen the lyrics, I’d think his counts as the original and the Stones covered him. Wanna fight? winking smiley

It looks like «C. Berry Music» tried to get credit for a while, but eventually gave up, as that credit was changed back to Marks and Brodie for all releases / cover versions after 1958.

Chuck tried to play the game other producers had taught him the hard way?

The lyrics came from the man (Johnny Marks) with classics as «Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer» under his belt..

Fight? Oh yes! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 15:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:47

It goes without saying that the only band good enough to cover Chuck Berry is the Rolling Stones.

And, wow, yes, the 1972 live version of "Bye Bye Johnny", is fantastic, indeed!

I also love "Little Queenie", any of the 1969 versions (though my favourite remains the one on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out).

One that hasn't been mentioned yet (although I think it's not really a Chuck Berry original, but I am guessing they got it from him anyway), "Down The Road Apiece": [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 13, 2017 15:57

DandelionPowderman
SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman

It looks like «C. Berry Music» tried to get credit for a while, but eventually gave up, as that credit was changed back to Marks and Brodie for all releases / cover versions after 1958.

The lyrics came from the man (Johnny Marks) with classics as «Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer» under his belt..

[Cracking knuckles...] But...but...but who recorded it first? Anyone before Chuck? If someone else writes the song (like, say, me ... and you REALLY don’t want me to record it) and the Stones record it, is that a cover? Chuck didn’t write it, but I think Keith was covering his recording... [Towelling off...]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:58

Off the Top of my head:

Stones:
Little Queenie from Ya-Ya's
Let It Rock from Some Girls Live (mainly for the look Keith shoots Mick when he comes in late on the second (?) verse but also it just rolls like a freight train)

Sort of Stones:
Run Run Rudolph - Keith (it's a cover of a cover but close enough)
You Never Can Tell - Willie & The Poor Boys
Sweet Little Rock And Roller - Rod Stewart

Others:
Let It Rock/Little Queenie - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band (either live version as long as it hasn't been edited for cdhot smiley)
Reelin' And Rockin' (Live) - George Thorogood
Back In The USA - Linda Ronstadt (multiple versions)
Nadine - Dion

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 13, 2017 16:00

SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman
SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman

[Cracking knuckles...] But...but...but who recorded it first? Anyone before Chuck? If someone else writes the song (like, say, me ... and you REALLY don’t want me to record it) and the Stones record it, is that a cover? Chuck didn’t write it, but I think Keith was covering his recording... [Towelling off...]

«published by St. Nicholas Music (ASCAP)»

I guess Santa did show that year.

Looks like it was written (to be sung?), and Chuck recorded it first, but the details are shady..

Date: December 13, 2017 16:05

SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman
SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman

Pretty sure Chuck's was the first recording of the song unless Marks & Brodie have a demo stashed somewhere.

Now I'll get out of the debate... I'm smart enough to only get between DP & STG if we're sitting at a bar drinking or trying to catch a train/tram in Amsterdam!!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 13, 2017 16:09

Date: December 13, 2017 16:12

mr_dja
...Now I'll get out of the debate... I'm smart enough to only get between DP & STG if we're sitting at a bar drinking or trying to catch a train/tram in Amsterdam!!!

thumbs up That’s the easiest way to get you to pay for the drinks. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 16:15 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: December 13, 2017 16:20

SomeTorontoGirl
mr_dja
...Now I'll get out of the debate... I'm smart enough to only get between DP & STG if we're sitting at a bar drinking or trying to catch a train/tram in Amsterdam!!!

thumbs up That’s the easiest way to get you to pay for the drinks. winking smiley

smileys with beer smoking smiley smileys with beer

Stay thirsty, young lady! Next round is on me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 13, 2017 16:43

smileys with beer

Date: December 13, 2017 16:45

This is a great one too. Louisiana stylee.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 13, 2017 16:51

EddieByword
Around and around - Love you live

That's it, that song & that version!

Next would be Let It Rock but I like the '78 versions better than '70/'71.
... And up there too is Confessin' The Blues!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 13, 2017 16:57

In no particular order

Around and Around studio
Around and Around Love You Live
Sweet Little 16 Live in Texas
Down the road apiece Studio
Rudolph
Talkin About You

C

Date: December 13, 2017 17:03

liddas
In no particular order

Around and Around studio
Rudolph
Talkin About You

C

A fantastic version!

Date: December 13, 2017 17:17

Rudolph aside, my actual favourite has to be Around And Around, the 12 X 5 version. First cut of the first side of the first album I remember hearing, age 5. Everything else followed. When they played it in Newark in 2012, I cried. Love it to this day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 17:27

Of course the 2 on GYYYO! are awesome. Around And Around from LYL is good. Let It Rock from 1971 is killer.

However, somehow I was floored when I heard Let It Rock from SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS. So that's the one.

Date: December 13, 2017 17:34

DandelionPowderman
liddas
In no particular order

Around and Around studio
Rudolph
Talkin About You

C

A fantastic version!

"Tight dresses and Tampax" - I mean Mick, how uncouth! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home