Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Your favourite Chuck Berry cover version is?
Date: December 15, 2017 20:01

Happy Jack
I'm surprised Around and Around from 1964 doesn't get more love. The Stones rock on this version, and its much better then Berry's original demo. As someone said in I believe the BBC thread, "the Stones were hot when they got Chess" and this version proves it.

It gets a lot of love. It's a given on a list like this.

However, many also love the BBC-version, the TAMI-version and the rocking LYL-version.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 15, 2017 20:45

When I was young I didn't understand song credit and thought the Stones wrote them, then I discovered and went back catalogue the artists of the 50s mentioned above. It was still a bot cool in 1970 (American Graffiti and Happy Days cement our love for 50s before punk came along)

I always thought 'Keep Your Hands To Yourself' was a blatant Chuck Berry ripoff - and I love it too

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 16, 2017 06:28

matxil
EddieByword
matxil
DandelionPowderman

Put it on!

Wow, good one! Never saw this album, but when I ever find it, I'll buy it.

Just in case you didn't realise, it's not Decca but a bootleg........ [www.discogs.com]

Ah! No, I wasn't aware of that. That explains why I never have encountered it.

Scroll down to the last post...........[iorr.org]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 16, 2017 07:35

DandelionPowderman
Happy Jack
I'm surprised Around and Around from 1964 doesn't get more love. The Stones rock on this version, and its much better then Berry's original demo. As someone said in I believe the BBC thread, "the Stones were hot when they got Chess" and this version proves it.

However, many also love the BBC-version, the TAMI-version and the rocking LYL-version.

I apologize, I didn't see many likes for the Stones original version which is my favorite Chuck Berry cover.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 16, 2017 10:42

Similar stuff. I love this one!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 16, 2017 12:09

Happy Jack
DandelionPowderman
Happy Jack

I apologize, I didn't see many likes for the Stones original version which is my favorite Chuck Berry cover.

Add me to the list because, although Stones Berry covers are generally superb, the studio Around And Around still stands out. It was also one of the first things we did in my first band, many many decades ago, so it has a special place in my heart.

Close 2nd on my list: Roll over Beethoven (Europe 1970 live version) plus, of course, the 1964 BBC recording. I simply can't decide which one I like better!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 16, 2017 16:05

retired_dog
Add me to the list because, although Stones Berry covers are generally superb, the studio Around And Around still stands out. ...

Agree, it does stand out and is great! However for me the Love You Live version is my all time killer fav, it has great drive, attitude, energy, and love those guitar solos!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: December 16, 2017 19:32

Here is my own Rollin' Berries compilation - All tracks are official studio versions unless otherwise noted.

Rollin' Berries - The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones cover songs from Chuck Berry's albums.

1. Come On
2. Bye Bye Johnny
3. Memphis Tennessee (BBC)
4. Roll Over Beethoven (BBC)
5. Route 66
6. Carol
7. Beautiful Delilah (BBC)
8. Don't Lie To Me
9. Reelin' And Rockin' (outtake)
10. Confessin' The Blues
11. Around And Around
12. Talkin' About You
13. Down The Road Apiece
14. You Can't Catch Me
15. Little Queenie - (Live 1969)
16. Let It Rock - (Live 1971)
17. Back In The U.S.A. (outtake)
18. Sweet Little Sixteen - (Live 1978)
19. Sweet Little Rock 'N' Roller - bonus track - New Barbarians (Live 1979)
20. Run Rudolph Run - bonus track - rare Keith Richards single

The cover is Keith with the classic "Who The F*ck Is Mick Jagger?" t shirt.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-16 22:44 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 16, 2017 19:42

I thought Sweet little 16 from '78 was a bit rushed and lacked subtlety..........

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:23

JumpinJimF
Let It Rock (Leeds 1971)
+1

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 17, 2017 11:08

DandelionPowderman
Happy Jack

I may be a strange one. But to me Stones' Chuck Berry covers have generally never been a major attraction within their material. Usually those covers are at best OK to me. There may be many versions that I have not heard. (Not thereby indicating that I would like to receive "must hear" examples. Now that I am able to confront myself with them, I will find an excuse not to).

There is an exception though (in fact, two, also the studio "Bye, Bye, Johnie", but here highlighting the first one). Like other posters, it is the studio "Around And Around". More than good, simply great. But why is that cover a main and major attraction to me (for instance, studio "Oh, Carol" is not)? The reason is, I think (and mentionned formerly by me in another thread), it is (or, to me, is as if) the studio "Around And Around" is performed not as a rock song, but rather as a R&B song. For instance, to me, even if may be slight nuances, LYL "Around And Around" comes forth not as R&B, but as a rock cover.

An album of early rock covers is not my preference, if it will delay hypothetical other releases further still. But if it would happen, they probably will need to bring Bill Wyman into the studio for the recording of such an album.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 17, 2017 22:54

Lately it's been big heaping handfulls of Back in the USA; that '78 Out-take.
I don't think it was ever actually 'released' officially; and I've only heard the easily accessible Youtube version. (I never even knew about it ever heard it till a few months ago somehow)...what an excellent fully reliable rush; just wonderful imo.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 18, 2017 00:25

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Happy Jack

I may be a strange one. But to me Stones' Chuck Berry covers have generally never been a major attraction within their material. Usually those covers are at best OK to me. There may be many versions that I have not heard. (Not thereby indicating that I would like to receive "must hear" examples. Now that I am able to confront myself with them, I will find an excuse not to).

There is an exception though (in fact, two, also the studio "Bye, Bye, Johnie", but here highlighting the first one). Like other posters, it is the studio "Around And Around". More than good, simply great. But why is that cover a main and major attraction to me (for instance, studio "Oh, Carol" is not)? The reason is, I think (and mentionned formerly by me in another thread), it is (or, to me, is as if) the studio "Around And Around" is performed not as a rock song, but rather as a R&B song. For instance, to me, even if may be slight nuances, LYL "Around And Around" comes forth not as R&B, but as a rock cover.

An album of early rock covers is not my preference, if it will delay hypothetical other releases further still. But if it would happen, they probably will need to bring Bill Wyman into the studio for the recording of such an album.

I am similarly really attracted to "Around and Around" tho the "Bye Bye Johnny" that really worked for me was the Live version.
I'm not sure why some of their covers Slam me and are Classics to me; and others not.
The Ya Ya Versions of Carol and Queenie, are the versions I've loved; and still love so much; not so much their studio versions of these.
For me, "Around and Around" had perfect 'mature' authority,
it rumbles; it's murderosly great at TAMI, such a genuine Thrill.
and the studio version is just as great imo.

Yeah Bill, older than them by a 'rock' generation; where a few years like that makes, imo, a Bigass difference in the way someone is 'rooted' in a style. Bill is almost like a First generation rocker in the premier 2nd Generation (of Rock and Roll) Band....he has that 'feel' so bigtime; of that time when r&b and 'jump blues' and 'rock and roll' were all sort of part of the same style....as it was grwoing and emerging. The King was all over Richard and Chuck by the time that first RCA record came out.....The King has some great versions of Primised Land; with Excellent guitar mixes, if you search about for 'em....

...I'd love to hear 'em do rock and roll covers; but maybe one or two on an original album; i personally don't want an "oldies' Stones Lp particularly; tho of course I'd listen to anything eagerly from them....not what I'm lookin' for with them particualrly; tho like the old days, a cover or two on an original LP for me, makes it more fun....

....for me Around and Around was one of my very first very Major Major Major Rolling Stones AND rock and roll PRIME experience; so i am very very big on that one personally....still works for me; Watch Tami; whoa....

I don't really know if Bill is 'up' for premiere rock and roll bass playing?
at this stage; guy is in his 80's and earned that retirement;.
I have long thought that it was Charlie and Bill that got them that first LP deal every bit as much as the cute boys up front....imo.

...but for me, Around and Around was seminal early Stones experience, a Primo one that still kicks. Great version; it's stunning to me how 'perfect' The Stones were, upon arrival. Then they got better. !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 05:52 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home