Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: the live vaults - does it suggest that.....
Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:19

the vaults could be opened, closed or whatever i just want at least one more live show to go to...
but bein down under the rockman and i may need to get a serious road trip organised..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:37

Bill has toured somewhat continuously with his group. But Mick Taylor has been sporadic at best. Does anyone think he's really up for major involvement with the Stones? The pressure would be immense for him to replicate the player he was 40 years ago.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:02

Justin
It's a valid question and there is tons of room for speculation by every single one of us.

My take is that yes, we are definitely at the cusp of Mick and the crew wrapping it up completely with the live shows. This is just Mick and crew making sure the archive stuff get their proper attention--and there is no better time right now...EARLY in the Stones "50th Anniversary" game. Mick said we'd be tired of them before the year was up with all the Stones stuff coming up so why waste announcing the archive site later when everyone's burnt out on them? Start early while everyone is hungry for more and more stuff!

I still think they're doing one last go next year (either it be big or small...they are doing shows) but instead of rolling out all the archive releases after it's said and done and perhaps before the general public assumes that they're completely closed for business...they roll this archive stuff just a little bit earlier...right before the big Anniversary year...get the momentum going, as the year progresses we get more releases and soon this site picks up steam...the Stones do their shows next year--maybe even making a few shows from the new tour available on the archive site...that will start bringing in MORE traffic to the new site...the site gets even more exposure and then eventually the Stones slip out of the spotlight, leaving their archives in good standing for more successful releases.

I think this is just a way for Mick to ensure the archives are received well...like a good send off. It's wonderful that this day has finally arrived and we're all able to enjoy it.

Could be, but I have a slightly different take. Mick has always sneered at any kind of nostalgia, always.
But the man is nearly 70. He's around people, like Scorsese, who he respects. Scorsese is a pretty passionate and enthusiastic guy - he used Let It Loose in "The Departed" etc...
I can just picture Marty asking Jagger all kinds of questions about the Stones' history. Its one thing for fans, or younger, starry-eyed collaborators like Was to fawn over Exile or Some Girls, but quite another for Martin Scorsese to do so.
Jagger has an ego and perhaps that kind of artistic validation from someone like Scorsese gives him a different insight to his past, the Stones' legacy.
He might talk about how much he hates nostalgia, but Jagger went all out for the Exile re-release - the promos, the interviews - he seemed to genuinely enjoy it.
Something tells me that all that 'Exile is overrated' crap he'd been spewing for the last 30 years was just Jagger playing devil's advocate. Its like he finally was able to realize or admit that Exile was a masterpiece after all.
Or maybe he's grown up. WHen you don't want to grow up, you tend to sneer at the past glory, a it suggests that you're not as good anymore and Jagger, for a long time...80s and 90s, seemed to be struggling with his artistic identity. He seemed to dismiss the past completely.
We all get older and come to terms with the past and maybe eventually realize -
'Hey, that was a pretty good time'
Maybe he's in a place where he can value that legacy, rather than dismiss it.

Like when you breakup with someone and its really bitter and you're pissed for years. You dismiss the relationship or pretend you don't care...
But at some point, you stop being pissed and start to appreciate what you had with that person.
You start to embrace that chapter of your life.
Maybe Jagger is not as restless as he once seemed, maybe he can sit still and embrace his place in rock and roll.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 02:09 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:24

Justin
It's a valid question and there is tons of room for speculation by every single one of us.

My take is that yes, we are definitely at the cusp of Mick and the crew wrapping it up completely with the live shows. This is just Mick and crew making sure the archive stuff get their proper attention--and there is no better time right now...EARLY in the Stones "50th Anniversary" game. Mick said we'd be tired of them before the year was up with all the Stones stuff coming up so why waste announcing the archive site later when everyone's burnt out on them? Start early while everyone is hungry for more and more stuff!

I still think they're doing one last go next year (either it be big or small...they are doing shows) but instead of rolling out all the archive releases after it's said and done and perhaps before the general public assumes that they're completely closed for business...they roll this archive stuff just a little bit earlier...right before the big Anniversary year...get the momentum going, as the year progresses we get more releases and soon this site picks up steam...the Stones do their shows next year--maybe even making a few shows from the new tour available on the archive site...that will start bringing in MORE traffic to the new site...the site gets even more exposure and then eventually the Stones slip out of the spotlight, leaving their archives in good standing for more successful releases.

I think this is just a way for Mick to ensure the archives are received well...like a good send off. It's wonderful that this day has finally arrived and we're all able to enjoy it.

I think thats pretty much spot on, Justin.

A way of phasing one era out and another way in.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:35

well said Justin...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:48

stupidguy2
Justin

Could be, but I have a slightly different take. Mick has always sneered at any kind of nostalgia, always.
But the man is nearly 70. He's around people, like Scorsese, who he respects. Scorsese is a pretty passionate and enthusiastic guy - he used Let It Loose in "The Departed" etc...
I can just picture Marty asking Jagger all kinds of questions about the Stones' history. Its one thing for fans, or younger, starry-eyed collaborators like Was to fawn over Exile or Some Girls, but quite another for Martin Scorsese to do so.
Jagger has an ego and perhaps that kind of artistic validation from someone like Scorsese gives him a different insight to his past, the Stones' legacy.
He might talk about how much he hates nostalgia, but Jagger went all out for the Exile re-release - the promos, the interviews - he seemed to genuinely enjoy it.
Something tells me that all that 'Exile is overrated' crap he'd been spewing for the last 30 years was just Jagger playing devil's advocate. Its like he finally was able to realize or admit that Exile was a masterpiece after all.
Or maybe he's grown up. WHen you don't want to grow up, you tend to sneer at the past glory, a it suggests that you're not as good anymore and Jagger, for a long time...80s and 90s, seemed to be struggling with his artistic identity. He seemed to dismiss the past completely.
We all get older and come to terms with the past and maybe eventually realize -
'Hey, that was a pretty good time'
Maybe he's in a place where he can value that legacy, rather than dismiss it.

Like when you breakup with someone and its really bitter and you're pissed for years. You dismiss the relationship or pretend you don't care...
But at some point, you stop being pissed and start to appreciate what you had with that person.
You start to embrace that chapter of your life.
Maybe Jagger is not as restless as he once seemed, maybe he can sit still and embrace his place in rock and roll.

So, you're saying he's no longer a Wandering Spirit? He's stopped being a 'Rolling Stone'!

I think what you say makes sense, given his own age, the Charlie scare, the KR coconut incident...the show is finally coming to an end. Time to embrace the past, with the rest of us.

It's a very good time to be an RS fan right now.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:17

Gazza
Justin

I think thats pretty much spot on, Justin.

A way of phasing one era out and another way in.

<<< A way of phasing one era out and another way in >>>

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:09

I went to the Stones Archive site to legally download Brussels and after signing up logging in and entering all the BS it tells me I can't buy it cause I'm in the US. Freekin BS! Where can I pirate this from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 01:10 by shadooby.

Date: November 19, 2011 01:16

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Who cares about future performances?

i think there are a couple of folks on this site that do...

Yeah. The future will tell.

Date: November 19, 2011 01:19

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
mick has decided to fold the tent on future live performances?

it's long been known that mick didn't want the band to compete with its (arguably superior) history as a live band...that was the reigning theory as to why the live vaults remained under wraps...

now with the apparent onslaught of releases from the live vaults, it could be a sign that the live act is at last being retired....

I think you are right. I thought the same when seeing this Brussels recording being available after all this time. And even more so - since they had just released Some Girls deluxe.

Did Jagger ever show up on those "keith/Ronnie-rehearsals" in UK last week?
I would guess not.

keef didn't say they were rehearsals, but rather jam sessions. but mick didn't show for those, either.

the vaults are open...and that's the important thing, even if it's about 15 years late...

How could they have happened yet? Didn't Keith say next month?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:20

the live vaults - does it suggest that..... You can't do it on stage anymore (C) FZ

Actually that guy gave 12 disks

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:59

"it's long been known that mick didn't want the band to compete with its (arguably superior) history as a live band...that was the reigning theory as to why the live vaults remained under wraps..."

Has it actually "been known", or is this just more IORR conjecture masquerading as fact? If so, where are the actual quotes from Mick?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 19, 2011 02:17

shadooby
I went to the Stones Archive site to legally download Brussels and after signing up logging in and entering all the BS it tells me I can't buy it cause I'm in the US. Freekin BS! Where can I pirate this from?

You can buy it at Google Music for 4.99 and then download it to your computer.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2011 16:48

vermontoffender
"it's long been known that mick didn't want the band to compete with its (arguably superior) history as a live band...that was the reigning theory as to why the live vaults remained under wraps..."

Has it actually "been known", or is this just more IORR conjecture masquerading as fact? If so, where are the actual quotes from Mick?

they're out there on the internets. it's always more rewarding to find them yourself, too. enjoy the hunt!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2011 00:21

StonesTod
vermontoffender

they're out there on the internets. it's always more rewarding to find them yourself, too. enjoy the hunt!!!

I thought going political was off base around here?!

...or is that just what they say down there in Texas people...people runnin' round with a phcukin' chainsaw...owh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 00:22 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home