Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Speaking with someone who doesn't like the Stones
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 16, 2011 22:10

SwayStones
I stood up, stuck my tongue out at him , showed him the Stones logo on my pocket & said something like (in French ) " Hey ,dummy ,Wanna talk about Jagger ,now ? "

Now that's what I call style

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 16, 2011 22:13

Rockman
Speaking with someone who doesn't like the Stones

Duke...First ya gotta teach 'em about the early Stones .....coax 'em to a garage wall then piss on 'em ....

smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 16, 2011 22:22

24FPS
My father was a jazz drummer and detested rock and roll. Seeing our favorite group on Ed Sullivan in the early 60s he thought he was cute calling them, "The Strolling Bones." I never quite figured out what was so clever about it. Years later, he asked me what happened to one of the few rock musicians he respected, Billy Preston. I said, "He plays for the Rolling Stones." He was really pissed and didn't say another word.

Pissing Dad off... I never get tired of this! Only mine loves the Stones even more than me! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 16, 2011 22:44

Rockman
Speaking with someone who doesn't like the Stones

Duke...First ya gotta teach 'em about the early Stones .....coax 'em to a garage wall then piss on 'em ....

good one Rockman.....thats my approach too.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 16, 2011 22:51

GumbootCloggeroo
not everyone knows about the Rolling Stones. There are probably at least a billion people who don't know who they are or what they're about. Are we supposed to downgrade them and view them as second-class citizens because they don't know? That's just silly. It's good that this guy asked the question. Discussion is good. I'm sure lots of people love the Stones because of outside influences. In a way, kids today listen to the latest trendy music not because it's good necessarily but because they're "supposed" to listen to it because their friends listen to it and they, therefore, want to fit in. Subconsciously they're attracted to it. I think the same thing happens to the Stones. Of course the music is good but how many people listen to them because they're cool and because society has told us that if you like the Stones then you, yourself, are labeled as cool. Society affects us in ways we don't realize. For example, how many of us would still think The Stones were the "greatest rock and roll band in the world" if we didn't have that slogan rammed down our throats for all these years? Think about it.

I came to the conclusion that the Stones are the "greatest rock 'n roll band in the world" all on my own. I think they are actually the "greatest rock 'n roll band of all time" but I didn't come to that realization until shortly after the HBO concert in 2003. Up to that point the Beatles held that position in my mind.

Date: November 16, 2011 22:55

duke richardson
last night at a gathering to listen to music, someone asked me who my favorite band is. I of course replied 'The Rolling Stones'...
the person then wanted to know why, because it sure couldn't be because they 'sing good' ( turns out his favorite band was 38 Special. guess they sing good, I wouldn't know)

I said well, it might not be good to you, and as singers they're not tecnically brilliant..but they've written the most iconic rock songs over the last 50 years..
had to be polite..

really its OK if someone doesn't like them, but if I'm asked to explain what's so great about the Stones, really it's kind of obvious, and should be universally acknowledged.

Music is so subjective.

Date: November 16, 2011 23:04

His Majesty
You're making the band a sacred cow. There are no absolutes regarding music and the music people like.

I am perfectly cool about people not digging the stones. looking at their work as a whole, they've released far more more crap than good. grinning smiley

I agree with everything you have said except the last comment. They have released far more good than crap.

Date: November 16, 2011 23:09

duke richardson
I was asked who my favorite band was. I answered, then was told that my favorite band didn't 'sing good'.

cool smiley

Mick jagger is recognized as one of the greatest singers in the history of rock 'n roll. He sings better technically today than he ever did. His voice has changed, but what 68 year old sounds like a 20 year old? Clint Eastwood used to have a smooth voice. That all changed in his 50's.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 16, 2011 23:19

oh well..

'talking about music is like dancing about architecture'..

or something..

Date: November 16, 2011 23:24

GumbootCloggeroo
why do people call other people that don't share the same viewpoint as you "trolls". it's juvenile.

I don't know. Maybe they take their music way to seriously? It's only rock 'n roll.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 16, 2011 23:24

NICOS
GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
GumbootCloggeroo
I'm not amazed that some people don't like the Stones. However, I am amazed how some Stones fans are so goddamned sensitive when it comes to other people's opinion about their precious little band. If i'm at a party and I was wearing a Stones shirt and someone came up to me and said "you know, the Stones aren't really all that good" I would say "cool man. whatever floats your boat. I like 'em" and then I'd continue partying. Some people can handle criticism, others can't. Perhaps there's a sense of entitlement and elitism because we are fans of a band that has been dubbed the "greatest" and when someone confronts you and challenges that claim then the defenses go up as if you've been personally insulted.

how long u been on this board, gumbie?
a few years under various usernames.

Well there are not many here that use "whatever floats your boat" so not hard to find

Date: November 16, 2011 23:28

ChrisM
I don't think you need to justify digging the Stones duke. One likes what one likes and if some you know don't like them, that's OK as well. To each their own...

thumbs up

Date: November 16, 2011 23:35

saturn57
That's an easy question. Great songwriting, great music that crosses several genres, a powerful rythmn section augmented by some of the greatest guitar licks known to man,the best frontman in R&R history with exceptional vocals, and of course they are the soundtrack for anyone alive in the 60s. If they don't agree, that's their problem, but this is why I love them.

Well stated.

Date: November 16, 2011 23:38

GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
GumbootCloggeroo
why do people call other people that don't share the same viewpoint as you "trolls". it's juvenile.

what's your position on the use of the term "boneheads?"
i consulted my lawyers and the use of the term "boneheads" is acceptable!

How much did they take you for?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 16, 2011 23:50

stonescrow
GumbootCloggeroo

I don't know. Maybe they take their music way to seriously? It's only rock 'n roll.

I looked back, but I did not see where anyone said this.

Anyway... most trolls dont even have a viewpoint, or even another opinion. They are just someone who is looking to stir the pot, pick a fight, start trouble for no good reason... a troll only posts/replies looking to provoke a response. Trolls have no position, or opinion, they will say whatever they think will illicit a reply. The best reply to trolls in none. They are meaningless and evaporate upon being ignored.

Date: November 17, 2011 00:04

GumbootCloggeroo
I'm not amazed that some people don't like the Stones. However, I am amazed how some Stones fans are so goddamned sensitive when it comes to other people's opinion about their precious little band. If i'm at a party and I was wearing a Stones shirt and someone came up to me and said "you know, the Stones aren't really all that good" I would say "cool man. whatever floats your boat. I like 'em" and then I'd continue partying. Some people can handle criticism, others can't. Perhaps there's a sense of entitlement and elitism because we are fans of a band that has been dubbed the "greatest" and when someone confronts you and challenges that claim then the defenses go up as if you've been personally insulted.

Just curious, if someone at a party walked up to you and told you the girl you were with wasn't all that hot, would you find that insulting? Some fans view their favorite bands as family. There is a great deal of pride and passion among Stones fans. If I am wearing a Stones T-shirt it most likely means that I am a fan of that band. If I see someone wearing a Beatles T-shirt I am not going to go out of my way to say they suck or they aren't all that good. Opinions are fine, however, it seems that people today feel they have license to go around insulting people without any repercussions.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: November 17, 2011 00:25

It,s kinda fun, but most people i´ve been talking to about the stones, and dos´nt like them, turns out to know nothing about them (some 99%). The only thing they know is that Jagger has a big mouth, and "Satisfaction" - thats all!!
Sometimes I have "forced" these people to listen to some Stones stuff they never heard, and most of the time they get very surprised "well did they really play that well?) Stones have it all - rock, roll, ballads, country, blues - you name it, they got it. That VERY often surprises the "non-believers". My late mother claimed for many years that she allmost hated the stones, and one night I put on some cd,s she had´nt heard before. I remember I played "Winther" and when she heard Taylor`s lovely solo, I saw the tears running down her face!. Since that night I never heard her say "the stones can´t play - it,s just noise".
She ended up with a really "love" to the Mick Taylor area (but she coul´nt stand Mr. Wood -just like I cant) . So it,s just about going out there, and save the world.
YES WE CAN!!!

winking smileysmileys with beerhot smiley
cheers Bo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-17 00:27 by hedegaard.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 17, 2011 00:38

When I entered first class in architecture school in fall `78, the vibe was very anti-Stones. In fact, it was synonymous with crap. Olivia Newton-John, Barbara Streisand, Bee Gees and John Travolta were the music of the day. In recent years some think that they should call it a day. Why? Why bother if you don`t care?

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:31

Tell em you like the Stones cuz they rock like hell, but are as country as dirt! Uh huh! And they look good doin it! smileys with beer

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:31

duke richardson
in being asked to explain why I like the Stones, why they are my favorite band, I responded that it was more a gut feeling, not an intellectual one...
quote]

I just say its an aquired taste - you get it or you don't.
We are blessed....we get it.
Thats the best explanation I have.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 17, 2011 02:46

GumbootCloggeroo

I have to admit I am guilty of feeling like that. To me, it's because it's a given that they do and will hold up being the greatest. You naturally leave your guard down and when it happens it's like a bitch slap. LOL. However, someone coming up to you just to tell you they don't like them is just trying to bust your balls.

Date: November 17, 2011 06:09

71Tele
I would have ended the conversation as soon as they said ".38 Special". Waste of time.

Didn't they do that song Amanda?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 06:54

24FPS
My father was a jazz drummer and detested rock and roll. Seeing our favorite group on Ed Sullivan in the early 60s he thought he was cute calling them, "The Strolling Bones." I never quite figured out what was so clever about it. Years later, he asked me what happened to one of the few rock musicians he respected, Billy Preston. I said, "He plays for the Rolling Stones." He was really pissed and didn't say another word.

I know a jazz snob who detests rock and roll, and I recently acquired the 1964 book LOVE ME DO in which author Michael Braun accompanies the Beatles from England to the USA. And I showed this jazz snob a passage from the book where Dizzy Gillespie asks George Harrison for his autograph! Boy did he hate reading that!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 17, 2011 14:01

Just say "listen to this" and put BRUSSELS AFFAIR on. If they don't get it, that's their loss.

- Doxa

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 17, 2011 14:27

Title5Take1
24FPS

I know a jazz snob who detests rock and roll, and I recently acquired the 1964 book LOVE ME DO in which author Michael Braun accompanies the Beatles from England to the USA. And I showed this jazz snob a passage from the book where Dizzy Gillespie asks George Harrison for his autograph! Boy did he hate reading that!

you sound like a rock'n'roll snob....just sayin'

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 14:33

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no point getting defensive or upset by it, waste of time. In fact, I'm beginning to dislike the Stones too. The thrill has gone, I keep delisting more and more of their back catalogue because there is plenty of guff in there which i just can't stand any more.

I have empathy with the 38 Special folks....

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home