Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: I Love You Too Much
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 15, 2011 22:03

Initial thoughts: It is not the complete original vocal but rather a patchup job with some 2011 work spliced in various places.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 15, 2011 22:19

Agree with you Justin, most of it is vintage but the "martini lunch" line sounds 2011 to me.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 15, 2011 22:21

About the song, it's certainly better than Lies. Always liked the way it rhymes in the verses. Not many stones songs do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-15 22:22 by Hillside Blues.

Date: November 15, 2011 22:23

Yup Hillside (we're finally on track talking about the same song this time!) it's about 98% the original vocals but the "martini lunch' and "sniveling crush" raise questions. Sure, Mick could have done one more go at it in 77 and that version never leaked out but I would guess he added those lines (plus the coda) much later.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 15, 2011 22:33

Hillside Blues
About the song, it's certainly better than Lies.

that's a lie

Date: November 15, 2011 22:49

Don't you mean "It's a Lie"

Seriously, Don Was spoke of Mick "punching in" a vocal 30-odd years later and having it match perfectly. That is probably the case here. Unlike the EXILE tracks that were (apart from "Plundered My Soul" and "Pass the Wine) rather painfully obvious overdubs, the vocal and guitar touch-ups seem less obtrusive and, for the most part, preserve the integrity of the original versions. The exceptions being tracks like "Keep Up Blues" and "When You're Gone" that have completely redone vocals. This still seems closer to what was achieved with "So Young" in 1994 and I do wonder if this or other tracks were not first worked on (or reworked) then. The shared producer credit for Kimsey and Was suggests that certainly.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 15, 2011 23:02

Not 1977. No way. Maybe the bass line.

Date: November 15, 2011 23:05

I will say that they did an incredible job with mixing it...the clarity is impressive.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 00:09

Hillside Blues
Agree with you Justin, most of it is vintage but the "martini lunch" line sounds 2011 to me.

But we have to take into account that on "Paris Rehearsals" - its a muddy audio track where half the time we can't hear what Jagger is actually singing. This is all spiffed up. This, the tone,the pharasing, sounds like a 77 sauced-up, sleepless Jagger, an effect that even Don Was cannot duplicate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 00:10 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 16, 2011 02:56

Gave it another listen and it's very close to Love you too Much IV as per [stones.servebeer.com]

The chorus was slightly changed with the Martini and verse #3 was replaced by the guitar solo.

Here are the lyrics of the LYTM IV (missing verse IV).

three, four . . .
I think I decided to get out of the rain
I wasn't thinkin' of your stayin'
But when you pulled me off the door- step
Somehow I knew I had the pain again
Somehow I knew I need the pa-in, yes!
I wasn't thinkin' cause the pa-in

'Cause I love too much
I can't help it if I love you too much
What did-you-do to make me love you too much?
I can't help it if I love you

Call it novelty fascination
I call it nasty education
Friends of mine, they'll snicker and sneer
Their all laughin' while I cry in my beer
I never give-in
I get scared is that I never give-in

'Cause I love too much
I can't help it 'cause I love you too much
What did you get to make me love you too much?

I need no help to make me a fool
Did it myself and it ...
Richards: Unintelligible
I'm in here thinkin' about startin' up school
Richards: Unintelligible . . .you know
First believe it can happen to you
And when it does you know as much as I do

I love you too much
I can't help it 'cause I love you too much
What did you get to make me love you too much?
I can't help it 'cause I love you

Date: November 16, 2011 03:12

The unintelligible part is because, like "Living in the Heart of Love" Keith is singing different lyrics in the harmony vocal than Mick is.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: November 16, 2011 04:49

The Rolling Stones - I love you too much (2011) HD

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 04:50 by U2Stonesfan.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 16, 2011 05:48

....I'm realyy liking these out takes. They sound crisp.

Date: November 16, 2011 05:58

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:07

I haven't even bothered listening to it yet and it sounds like the '77 vocal.

Posted by: pleased2meetme ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:31

Definitely a mix of '77 and '11 vocals...just listen to it! It is beyond obvious.However,it is a great job...but the song was jettisoned for good reason. It's cool,but just average.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:54

I like it. It's not top level but e groove is pretty wicked. Glad to have it.

Date: November 16, 2011 07:40

Agreed and Jagger bellowing "still there's madness in my method" is just perfect.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2011 08:13

Hillside Blues

That line actually sounds 1987 to me.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 16, 2011 09:37

Candyee Lou's comment on it is a bit cryptic but interesting...tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 16, 2011 10:00

Okay, I try to say something of the track.

The backing track: from the first sec it sounds 100% SOME GIRLS; that's the sound of the era. Cha's drums, tasty guitar works, including the solos, the 'round' bass, two chords in the verses... I can easily understand why they didn't relaese it but instead some other; they had so much to choose from, and this one does not have anything special in it. It is just the smoking band, and I am more than grateful hearing it now. It wouldn't have make any diffference perhaps even in 1994 but now it does. What a great rock and roll band this group once was.

The song: yaeh, no rocket science but I love the simple chorus hook. It is as simple and staight-forward as it should, even though the generic "Soul Survivor"/"It Must Be Hell"/"Rock and A Hard Place"/"Black or White" guitar riff makes a bit too tough to listen. Jagger delivers the key phares with an attitude and that saves it.

The vocals: yeah, old Jagger meets young Jagger imitating Rotten or how it went... I has its moments and not... like said, I like the 'tude of the chorus but the verses sound a bit too high for his voice to go naturally. The nasal of the opening line almost destroys since that sound has too much recent history, but it gets better line by line. It is altogether vocally rather good effort by Mick.

The lyrics: weaker than their relesed material, and I think that Rotten delivery should have had a bit wittier lyrical counter-part.

Summa summarum: it is okay track, and I think ideal one to be realesed as a bonus track; it has the right zeitgeist in it. But is surely is nothing else than a bonus track in deluxe edition of the album. For a "fan use" only.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 10:04 by Doxa.

Date: November 16, 2011 10:58

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Don't you mean "It's a Lie"

Seriously, Don Was spoke of Mick "punching in" a vocal 30-odd years later and having it match perfectly. That is probably the case here. Unlike the EXILE tracks that were (apart from "Plundered My Soul" and "Pass the Wine) rather painfully obvious overdubs, the vocal and guitar touch-ups seem less obtrusive and, for the most part, preserve the integrity of the original versions. The exceptions being tracks like "Keep Up Blues" and "When You're Gone" that have completely redone vocals. This still seems closer to what was achieved with "So Young" in 1994 and I do wonder if this or other tracks were not first worked on (or reworked) then. The shared producer credit for Kimsey and Was suggests that certainly.

There is something about Mick's pronounciation of "Martini lunch", as well as on a couple of other places in the song that leads me to believe that there is some 2011 vocals in there.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home