Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Do you read music press?
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 8, 2011 21:14

Do you buy and read paper music press? Do you do this regularly or only from time to time? Or maybe you used to do and you stopped, if so, why? Which titles are the best and trustworthy in your opinion?

And a question to non-English speakers: is music press popular in your country? How many titles regarding rock music are on the market?

Re: OT: Do you read music press?
Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: November 8, 2011 21:43

Mojo every month, music news for old people.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2011 21:44

Just the periodicals, like Uncut and Mojo. I'm an Uncut subscriber - terrific magazine.

Used to regularly buy Melody Maker in the late 70s early 80s instead of the NME which had by that stage just become subservient to whatever was trendy at the time.

Have only bought the NME a couple of times in the last 15 years. Once, when they did a decent Stones feature around 2003 and again last July when they published a really wonderful tribute when Amy died.

Rolling Stone I'd buy only if there was a large Stones, Dylan or Springsteen feature in it - otherwise I've found it to be largely unreadable now for about 20 years.

The one thats really lost the plot though was Q. Absolutely unmissable from its launch in 1986 until the mid 90s and now - since most of the better writers moved on to Uncut, Mojo etc - utter juvenile garbage crammed with blatant '100 Best Xylophone Solos'-type spacefiller

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 21:47 by Gazza.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 8, 2011 21:50

I have subscribed to Rolling Stones Magazine for the last 25 years; I like it still. I also get Goldmine every month.They write very detail and knowledgeable articles with lot of info on CDs and LPs. I know some people think that Rolling Stone Mag. isn't good anymore but I believe Jann Wenner& Cie still produce great articles well written and relevant. It keeps me posted on the state of today's rock music world. They have a cool website and if one subscribes for 2 years one gets access via the internet to every article of every RSMag ever published. In France I used to read Rock and Folk, Best and Jukebox magazine. I like to read other rock magazines too; NME, Q, Classic Rock and more...
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 8, 2011 23:27

I've subscribed to Rolling Stone for over 35 years. They've declined for sure but some of the features are still quite good. Getting UNCUT and MOJO here in the States is expensive, over $10.00 a copy but I do treat myself to it from time to time and also enjoyed the Amy tribute, Gazza. Some of the articles on politicians are very revealing. When they put Brittany Spears or Bieber on the cover, I want to throw up!

Date: November 8, 2011 23:57

rollmops
I have subscribed to Rolling Stones Magazine for the last 25 years; I like it still. I also get Goldmine every month.They write very detail and knowledgeable articles with lot of info on CDs and LPs. I know some people think that Rolling Stone Mag. isn't good anymore but I believe Jann Wenner& Cie still produce great articles well written and relevant. It keeps me posted on the state of today's rock music world. They have a cool website and if one subscribes for 2 years one gets access via the internet to every article of every RSMag ever published. In France I used to read Rock and Folk, Best and Jukebox magazine. I like to read other rock magazines too; NME, Q, Classic Rock and more...
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Rock & Folk is excellent - and very Stones-friendly too!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2011 00:01

I subscribe to Mojo. Also really like Uncut. Loved NME and worked for them a few times in 79-81 - writing and taking photos. I did the first ever UK interview with Jello Biafra after hanging out with him and the Dead Kenndy's in San Fran in Sept 79. It was published in NME.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 9, 2011 00:03

mickschix
When they put Brittany Spears or Bieber on the cover, I want to throw up!

What were your thoughts about The Spice Girls ?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 00:07

Not really, anymore. I loved the old Creem. I read RS religiously from 1979-1989, was a non-stop subscriber. Have no use for it now, and haven't for decades. I used to like Spin when it was the only alternative to RS.
I liked Q, but prefer Mojo now.
But truthfully, I don't have the all-consuming interest in music I did when I was younger and feel no need to be trendy.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 9, 2011 00:10

stupidguy2
I don't have the all-consuming interest in music I did when I was younger and feel no need to be trendy.

thumbs up

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: November 9, 2011 00:24

Dirty Rock my people
Join us here in our facebook page [www.facebook.com]

Dirty Rock [dirtyrock.eu]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: November 9, 2011 01:09

mickschix
I've subscribed to Rolling Stone for over 35 years. They've declined for sure but some of the features are still quite good. Getting UNCUT and MOJO here in the States is expensive, over $10.00 a copy but I do treat myself to it from time to time and also enjoyed the Amy tribute, Gazza. Some of the articles on politicians are very revealing. When they put Brittany Spears or Bieber on the cover, I want to throw up!

I think when the Spice Girls appeared on the cover of Q in the mid-90's, thats when I gave up!

Date: November 9, 2011 01:11

Silver Dagger
I subscribe to Mojo. Also really like Uncut. Loved NME and worked for them a few times in 79-81 - writing and taking photos. I did the first ever UK interview with Jello Biafra after hanging out with him and the Dead Kenndy's in San Fran in Sept 79. It was published in NME.

I think I actually remember that interview (it wasnt the one which featured a pic of Jello sitting on a toilet, by any chance?)

They went downhill after you left, mate!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 9, 2011 01:37

Down with the Spice Girls cover!! I used to read CREEM too, loved it! I still have a pile of old issues with the Stones on the covers, of course.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 02:25

mickschix
Down with the Spice Girls cover!! I used to read CREEM too, loved it! I still have a pile of old issues with the Stones on the covers, of course.

I used to collect Creem back issues from the 70s...
Lester Bangs! The tv reviews, the interviews....it had a great irreverence that has yet to be duplicated.
In one of those Ken Regan photos of the Stones during the 75 tour, there is a photo of the band - with Bianca sitting next to Ronnie and reading Creem magazine.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 9, 2011 09:33

Mojo and Uncut every month since 2002...I like free CDs....got hundreds of them by now...many of them are classic stuff like 'The Devils Music' with Keith on frontpage...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 9, 2011 10:10

Mojo and Uncut are the ones I read. However, if I see another article about Pet Sounds or Syd Barrett, I'm gonna scream my last scream. I really don't know what happened to Q, either.
In the old days, it was Circus, Creem, NME, and a wonderful magazine called Trouser Press. Remember that one?

Posted by: pagodapete ()
Date: November 9, 2011 10:10

Mojo's my favourite. I still buy it occasionally.

During the 80's and the beginning of the 90's I used to buy every single issue of NME and Melody Maker.

There was also a good rock mag in Swedish called POP, (1993-2002<---not sure about its demise).

And Les inrockuptibles from France was a great mag.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:50

I'll buy Mojo/Classic Rock/Uncut occasionally if there was someone of interest on the cover. Back in the day, I habitually bought Select, NME and Melody Maker.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:53

in italy we don't have many magazines,
i read "buscadero" every month , a very good one .
sometimes "jam" too.
when i travel i buy uncut

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:57

Used to read the NME and Q religiously but outgrew both -the NME still serves a purpose by allowing young music-lovers the opportunity to discover new talent. Q has truely gone to the dogs, though. Mojo is all I read these days. IMO, it's utterly fantastic and manages to strike the right balance between old and contemporary.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 9, 2011 14:13

...and I have had Scandinavian Blues Accosiations magazine 'Jefferson' delivered to my mailbox since 1975...

Date: November 9, 2011 17:18

andrea66
in italy we don't have many magazines,
i read "buscadero" every month , a very good one .
sometimes "jam" too.
when i travel i buy uncut

buscadero, cosa significa?

Date: November 9, 2011 17:27

... non so utilisare (?) Google ma amo scribere in italiano >grinning smiley<

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 17:37

dear Pagodapete,
Buscadero is an italian r'n'r'31 years old magazine. it is a great magazine, they follow more american music than english but it is very complete, also with nice books and movies revues.
the name of the magazine comes from a Sam Peckinpah movie, Junio Bonner, that in Italy was translated as "l'ultimo buscadero" (the last seeker....more or less....)
if you wanna read something in italian, it could be a good opportunity

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 9, 2011 17:38

rollmops
. In France I used to read Rock and Folk, Best and Jukebox magazine. I like to read other rock magazines too; NME, Q, Classic Rock and more...
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Same here .Now there is only R&F left,the other two don't exist anymore .
I stopped reading R&F many years ago.

Date: November 9, 2011 17:40

andrea66
dear Pagodapete,
Buscadero is an italian r'n'r'31 years old magazine. it is a great magazine, they follow more american music than english but it is very complete, also with nice books and movies revues.
the name of the magazine comes from a Sam Peckinpah movie, Junio Bonner, that in Italy was translated as "l'ultimo buscadero" (the last seeker....more or less....)
if you wanna read something in italian, it could be a good opportunity

Thank you very much! I'm really curious about Buscadero, I will buy it next time I'm Italy, which I hope will be real soon! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 17:40 by pagodapete.

Date: November 9, 2011 17:43

I have bought Wire a couple of times but BOY is it pretentious...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2011 22:42

....Yes WIRE sure is serious stuff ...
Imagine a weekend on the tear with the office crew .... Well Steve Barker would be a cool-cat

ROCKMAN

Date: November 10, 2011 10:34

Rockman
....Yes WIRE sure is serious stuff ...
Imagine a weekend on the tear with the office crew .... Well Steve Barker would be a cool-cat

everybody would be stoned and come up with those HORRIBLE confessions, like:

"You know man, deep down inside... I really, really like AC/DC ya know..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 10:34 by pagodapete.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home