Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: 90 second samples of new Some Girls tracks available
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 18:53

Erik_Snow
Is there somebody who could explain how one get to hear these samples? Never visited itunes before....and can't seem to find this thing. Thanks

itunes is just the cheap, knock-off version of the great download site, demonoid...except for some reason itunes charges its customers money....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2011 18:57

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
Is there somebody who could explain how one get to hear these samples? Never visited itunes before....and can't seem to find this thing. Thanks

itunes is just the cheap, knock-off version of the great download site, demonoid...except for some reason itunes charges its customers money....

Charging money for music from demonoid? Somebody oughta sue them. It seriously can't get any worse than that......that'd had to be if it was lossy as well

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:18

Must be careful, only 90 seconds, but I'm surprised. Whereas the additional tracks on Exile are real outtakes with exception of Following the River (a track, however, which doesn't fit to the original Exile), here we seem to get some substantial new tracks that match the quality level of the original album and have a similar nature. Great the blues oriented tracks and that they added "Some People Tell Me" ...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:56

Erik_Snow

Can't get this to work either. Do I have to register before and download a software or some shit like that? Boy, that's too much effort for an old fart like me.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:58

alimente
Erik_Snow

Can't get this to work either. Do I have to register before and download a software or some shit like that? Boy, that's too much effort for an old fart like me.

Got a PM from somebody who saw my post (thanks!); and yes one need to install the iTunes software to make this work. But hopefully, these snippets will soon be available on amazon or the likes

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:06

Download the iTunes programme then click on iTunes store. Should get you there.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:08

i would like just to whine over something )
when you're gone
the only snippet that doesn't really move me
the rest sounds good to me, old? new? different take?
i dont think, in the end, that i really care as long as i hear good stuff from the stones
cheers

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:18

tallahassee lassie - definitely a different vocal. sounds like he is shouting. either they made the vocal more upfront or what i think, it's modern day mick screaming with the always overproduced don was at his side messing it up... so young - sounds like there is a new backing vocal on the chorus but i need to listen to original to make sure. i don't like the backing vocal the way it's played here - same as "lassie" - too upfront mick screaming. they missed the boat by not including misty roads on here.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:41

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
First impressions...

'Claudine is the known bootlegged version, original vocals, but new harmony vocals by Jagger.

'So Young' is the same as '93, but now with new harmony vocals.

'Do You Think I Really Care' was once the best Stones outtake ever available, but now is just atrocious with this horrible Jagger vocals...There's some Ron Wood guitar lines that I have not heard before, and there's an awful piano solo.

'When You're Gone' has new vocals and new harmonica by Jagger. It also sound like a different version than the bootlegged one.

'Don't Be a Stranger' is 'Do You Get Enough', same version to my ears. Terrible vocals.

'We Had It All is Version III, the one with harmonical, acoustic guitar intro and upfront pedal steel guitar but with different, never bootlegged vocals.

'Tallahassee Lassie' sounds completely original to me, but it is a different version than the one we have. Fantastic track.

'I Love You Too Much' has the original '77 vocals as well, but it does sound different then the bootlegged version.

‘Keep Up Blues’ is the great ‘Some People Tell Me’. The original was fantastic because the guitars where fantastic, and Jagger’s vocals where unique and truly magnificent. Why on earth did he redo them? New harmonica as well.

‘You Win Again’ has totally new Jagger vocals, lead and harmony. I don’t hear Richards.

‘Petrol Blues’ is Petrol Gang.

Mathijs

That's sad. IMO, some of the best vocals by Jagger ever on the bootleg version.

I agree.
I haven't yet heard the new songs and so i can't give an opinion.
But if 'Keep up blues' is "Some People Tell Me" with new vocals, i think it's another big mistake as well as the exclusion of 'I need you', 'Misty Roads' and 'Fiji Jim'.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:42

jjsteve
tallahassee lassie - definitely a different vocal.

no, this is the known version differently mixed with clapping added.
"Love You Too Much" is also the "Paris Results" version.
Amazing how a different mix and an improved sound give the impression of another version...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:00

mitch
jjsteve

Amazing how a different mix and an improved sound give the impression of another version...

I think you're right on both counts, Mitch. What fools everyone is that on the bootlegged version of 'Tallahassee Lassie', Mick is so low down in the mix it just sounds like he's singing off-mike. Just listening to them now it seems like it's the same vocal.

Fantastic mix on this one, it has to be said.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:10

Mathijs

'Do You Think I Really Care' was once the best Stones outtake ever available, but now is just atrocious with this horrible Jagger vocals...There's some Ron Wood guitar lines that I have not heard before, and there's an awful piano solo.

Mathijs

According to the credits the piano was played by Ian Stewart.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:12

Anyone care to post an mp3 of all the samples? I am not planning on installing itunes. Prefer Amazon for buying, Winamp for playback.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:14

the deluxe 90 second versions of Some Girls is outstanding on my shitty computer speakers. Just sayin'...these songs are alive.

Date: November 7, 2011 22:35

I just listened to these finally and I must say I'm very pleased overall.

"Claudine" is the original take (albeit in slightly better quality, seems like it's been EQ'd). I'll be curious if Spider's name is left intact. Although the passage of time may make the entire case a matter of public record and therefore no longer litigious. Great to have it officially released.

"Do You Think I Really Care" has new vocals and slightly modified lyrics, but I love this. I thought the piano was a joy to hear and Mick's vocals were very good. I prefer this to "No Spare Parts" overall.

"When You're Gone" was a shocker. You can hear the "Red Eyes" riff in there, but the song's been transformed. Mick's channels Smiley Lewis here (shades of Dave Edmund's cover of "I Hear You Knocking"). Sounds like he's singing through a harmonica mike. Great blues harp, great lyrics. I thought his vocal was terrific. Definitely a highlight for me.

"Don't Be a Stranger" is a nice reworking of the calypso "Lucky in Love" (aka "Do You Get Enough?" on various bootlegs). I thought I was going to hate this, but again the new lyrics and vocals seem to suit it well.

"Keep Up Blues" is a reworking of "Some People Tell Me" although the central riff is buried around a traditional blues at times reminiscent of "Fancy Man Blues" but nowhere near as good. Not bad at all, but definitely filler. Mick no longer attempts his Howlin' Wolf impression as he had on the original.

"No Spare Parts" is obviously familiar by now and is good, but sort of a disappointment. It becomes a little too repetitive and the road trip lyrics meander more than a bit. Ultimately the track goes nowhere and the fire alarm lyric recalls "Sparks Will Fly." Not really what I wanted this one to become, but it's a cut above filler.

"So Young" is a favorite B-side from VOODOO LOUNGE. The piano version (which appears to be an iTunes exclusive) seems like a 2011 overdub that is combined with the 1994 version to create Track Two on the disc proper. It's interesting as an alternate but entirely non-essential. I prefer the 1994 B-side and since it was re-released earlier this year on the Singles box and readily available for download for those who won't shell out for the box set, there seems little reason to give us two alternate versions.

"I Love You Too Much" is another standout. As with "Do You Think I Really Care" the lyrical changes appear to be minimal and the new vocal works well. I love this. Yes, I'm assuming it is a latterday vocal, but I'm not certain.

"Tallahassee Lassie" is a great version. I agree this is the authentic outtake with new handclaps. I think Don Was did a great job on this one. No complaints whatsoever. This is a treat to have.

"You Win Again" is likewise a strong cover. Once again I'm not certain whether it is a new vocal or just an unfamiliar vocal take overdubbed on the familiar bootlegged track. Either way it turned out well. A nice alternate to Keith's soulful version of the song that surfaced ten years ago.

"Petrol Blues" is this year's "Title 5." At least we have lyrics this time, but a 90 second running time and a rough-sounding recording make it's inclusion a curio at best.

"We Had It All" is a surprise that the vocal (although definitely vintage) does not appear to be the same as the bootlegged version. I wondered if possibly it was simply speed-corrected. In any event, it turned out beautiful and I'm very pleased this saw the light of day.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:54

There seems to be a Japan version of the Deluxe edition at Amazon.co.jp. Till today there was only an edition "imported from the USA". Not clear, however, is which tracks are on this one. Maybe as a Japan bonus track So young (piano version) will be included?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:05

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
First impressions...

'Claudine is the known bootlegged version, original vocals, but new harmony vocals by Jagger.

'So Young' is the same as '93, but now with new harmony vocals.

'When You're Gone' has new vocals and new harmonica by Jagger. It also sound like a different version than the bootlegged one.

'Don't Be a Stranger' is 'Do You Get Enough', same version to my ears. Terrible vocals.

'We Had It All is Version III, the one with harmonical, acoustic guitar intro and upfront pedal steel guitar but with different, never bootlegged vocals.

'Tallahassee Lassie' sounds completely original to me, but it is a different version than the one we have. Fantastic track.

'I Love You Too Much' has the original '77 vocals as well, but it does sound different then the bootlegged version.

‘Keep Up Blues’ is the great ‘Some People Tell Me’. The original was fantastic because the guitars where fantastic, and Jagger’s vocals where unique and truly magnificent. Why on earth did he redo them? New harmonica as well.

‘You Win Again’ has totally new Jagger vocals, lead and harmony. I don’t hear Richards.

‘Petrol Blues’ is Petrol Gang.

Mathijs

That's sad. IMO, some of the best vocals by Jagger ever on the bootleg version.

I agree.
I haven't yet heard the new songs and so i can't give an opinion.
But if 'Keep up blues' is "Some People Tell Me" with new vocals, i think it's another big mistake as well as the exclusion of 'I need you', 'Misty Roads' and 'Fiji Jim'.
I agree - simply, I have not heard the outtakes yet, but it seems to sound terrible. How come, Jagger is terrible, no voice anymore!!! winking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:39

Just listened and imho it's a great album! smileys with beer
This is what we want to hear!

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:00

[www.hmv.co.jp]
this seems to be the Japanese edition and 12 songs on CD2, no bonus... Hope it stays that way, those Japanese editions are too expensive for me due to currency exchange rate...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:16

Hopefully the iTunes bonus track (So Young piano version) will be available on CD as well ...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:47

TeddyB1018
Mathijs

Mathijs

According to the credits Jagger plays piano on Petrol Gang, while he talks to Ian Stewart. Could be that Stu did the 'percussion' though.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:49

Gazza
mitch
jjsteve

I think you're right on both counts, Mitch. What fools everyone is that on the bootlegged version of 'Tallahassee Lassie', Mick is so low down in the mix it just sounds like he's singing off-mike. Just listening to them now it seems like it's the same vocal.

Still not sure by listening to the 90 seconds clip, but it could be the same version of TL. But is Ian MacLagan credited? He played piano and wurly on these RCA sessions.

Mathijs

Date: November 8, 2011 00:54

Mathijs
Gazza
mitch
jjsteve

Still not sure by listening to the 90 seconds clip, but it could be the same version of TL. But is Ian MacLagan credited? He played piano and wurly on these RCA sessions.

Mathijs

the official credits :

Tallahassee Lassie
(Total running time: 2:37)

Written by Bob Crewe, Frank C. Slay and Frederick A. Picariello

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Ronnie Wood - electric guitar
Bill Wyman - bass
Charlie Watts - drums
Ian Stewart - piano
Handclaps by Mick Jagger, John Fogerty and Don Was

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 8, 2011 01:03

Gazza

the official credits :

Tallahassee Lassie
(Total running time: 2:37)

Written by Bob Crewe, Frank C. Slay and Frederick A. Picariello

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Ronnie Wood - electric guitar
Bill Wyman - bass
Charlie Watts - drums
Ian Stewart - piano
Handclaps by Mick Jagger, John Fogerty and Don Was

eye rolling smiley

do you think John Fogerty (assuming it's THE John Fogerty) was in the studio for this
or did they swipe hadclapping from CENTERFIELD...??

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 01:06 by sweet neo con.

Date: November 8, 2011 01:07

Presumably a recent overdub, as Don Was is also credited.

there are no audible handclaps on the bootlegged version, which seems to be the same basic track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 01:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 8, 2011 02:16

I bit the bullet and downloaded iTunes.. Listened to the tracks and then promptly UNinstalled...

Everything sounds GREAT! I didn't listen to the full 90 seconds cause I just wanted a taste of each track. Looking forward to the real deal for certain. BUT...

Those vocals on So Young... What in the world were they thinking? Didn't we already get a flawless version of this back in 94? Sounds really messy to me but will have to hear it in context. Love the guitarwork on that track (original).

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 02:36

Mathijs
TeddyB1018
Mathijs

Mathijs

According to the credits Jagger plays piano on Petrol Gang, while he talks to Ian Stewart. Could be that Stu did the 'percussion' though.

Mathijs

I think this is possible. It sounds a lot like Mick's pounding on Exile on Mainstreet Blues.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: November 8, 2011 02:49

Mathijs
First impressions...
'Do You Think I Really Care'...and there's an awful piano solo.
Mathijs

I really dig the piano solo I hear on this track, but then again I nearly always dig the piano on a Stones record. Just a matter of preference.
No one is right or wrong, of course, though some have seemed a tad bit obsessed with their distaste for anything Leavell. I gave up trying to defend him a while ago. It did no good, I convinced nobody.

But I must say, THANK GOD that wasn't Chuck or I'd have to read posts, ad nauseam, about how Chuck's piano sucked and how he ruined yet another Stones track. LOL.

Of course, some may submit that Stu (of all people) ruined a perfectly good song with a "plinky" sounding piano track, but my guess is that the Stu bashing will be kept to a minimum. I hope so, anyway.

This Some Girls re-issue project really is a gift. If you'd have told me years ago that I would get to hear all of these outtakes someday on an official release I would have said you were nuts, not gonna happen.
Rock is dead, long live the Stones.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:21

Mathijs
TeddyB1018
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Credits or no credits I find it very hard to believe that is Jagger on Petrol Gang because it's a piano style he ever played before or since, but it certainly is in the style of Stu. And it would make sense for song to be added as a coda, giving a nod to Stu. Otherwise it makes little sense to include it.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:24

Mathijs
Gazza
mitch
jjsteve

Mathijs

That's what I thought too. It would be petty to replace his piano track with chuck but if they didn't it also wouldn't be the first time the Stones ignored crediting someone on a song, unfortunately.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home