Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: 90 second samples of new Some Girls tracks available
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:14

vermontoffender
Amazing how many people at IORR have whined for years about the vaults not being open, and now that they are, they're still whining.

Whiners.

how many did you say?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:15

Justin
I'm tired of being afraid of listening to new Stones music releases.

with enough practice you get used to the fatigue...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:24

have no fear...there is not a single Steets of Love on there....

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:27

Love them all and can't wait until I have the cd in hand and able to listen to the full songs over and over.....

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:31

Mick at least sounds like he's close to the same neighborhood with the new vocals- far more than he ever got on the Exile stuff. No Spare Parts and Don't Be A Stranger are the only two that really stick out as being a little too obvious.

I wasn't expecting a new version of We Had It All. Wow. It'll take some time to get used to that. Ironically, it reminds me of how Keith would probably approach the song today.

Always loved So Young `94, so it's nice to have two additional versions.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:46

Thanks for the heads up Bashlet. Makes my night.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 7, 2011 05:50

Thanks for the tip. First reaction is the the band sounds great. On the other hand, When You're Gone is very weird and I Love You Too Much is undermined by the weak, pinched vocal. Mick's new vocals on Don't Be a Stranger and Do You Think I'd Really Care seem to work well enough, and he seems somewhat relaxed, if not as all-out fun as he did in '77. The old stuff sounds really good. Claudine sounds better than it ever has and Talahassee Lassie is fun. We Had It All does seem to be a different vocal, and is tremendous. Petrol Blues sounds rough and cool. The piano led So Young rocks. It all sounds like Some Girls pretty much, which to me is a good thing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2011 10:17

hmm... I wonder if the Stones have heard something of our Finnish national treasure of the 70's rock, Hurriganes - they made quite a remarkable version of "Tallahassie Lassie" in 1974:... cool smiley

No that I have heard anything of the connection... but Hurriganes had some ties to England in 1975-77. Their guitarist Albert Järvinen was a phenomenal blues rock player. Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds were so awe of him that they come to record here in Finalnd to play with him. They recommended him to Dr. Feelgood after Wilko Johnson had left the band, but due to visa problems nothing were ever sorted out. Afterwards Elvis Costello asked to join him to his band (Albert played a gig with him in Finland) but the guy refused. Then Lemmy produced Albert's solo single and he has said that he would have asked him to join Motorhead if Järvinen hadn't drunk so much... Järvinen died in 1991 in London.

Hurriganes, by the way, after Järvinen had left the band in 1975 almost the same way as Taylor the Stones (to make more progressive rock), continued with their new guitarist and were very succesful all over Scandinavia, especially in Sweden where they gathered a huge following. They made a little tour to England but the whole thing suffered as they were promoted as "punk band". They had a gig arranged to Marquee club but just before the gig the main guys - the gipsy drummer-singer Remu Aaltonen and the bassist Cisse Häkkinen, almost unable to communicate in English - decided to fly back home. Felt I guess home sick, but that was the end of the story for them in England and the promoter promsed they will never agin to play in UK.... By the way, there was someone named Paul McCartney in the audience waiting for them... Häkkinen drunk himself to death in 1990.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 10:22 by Doxa.

Date: November 7, 2011 10:35

I only get the remastered SG! What am I doing wrong, I changed the country to UK??

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2011 10:42

DandelionPowderman
I only get the remastered SG! What am I doing wrong, I changed the country to UK??

You ordered from Amazon, DandelionP ?
I would recommend ordering from www.play.com - as there's no postage-fee....which makes it less expensive than ordering from Amazon.....with all their packaging and postage fees.

And if you order multiple items; they'll pack each CD/DVD seperately, so there won't be any custom-charges either (if no items costs more than 20 euro a piece)

....and no; I do not work for play.com !

Date: November 7, 2011 10:47

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

You ordered from Amazon, DandelionP ?
I would recommend ordering from www.play.com - as there's no postage-fee....which makes it less expensive than ordering from Amazon.....with all their packaging and postage fees.

And if you order multiple items; they'll pack each CD/DVD seperately, so there won't be any custom-charges either (if no items costs more than 20 euro a piece)

....and no; I do not work for play.com !

LOL! No, I ordered from Platekompaniet. Both the de Luxe set and the DVD.

But I see what's wrong here now. I haven't downloaded iTunes at work (and don't have the authority to do it either - unfortunately)...

Date: November 7, 2011 10:54

Aha - my bad.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 7, 2011 11:39

Gazza
still ill
I make it 4 original vocals (including Keiths), the 1994 So Young one and the rest 2011. Not surprised as most of the circulated outtakes had unfinished, slurred and pretty unreleasable vocals imo.

What songs do you think are 1977-78 (or 79) vocals?

On listening to that, my guesses are Claudine, We Had It All, Tallahassee Lassie and Petrol Blues.

Yep, those are the four i had (and i looks as though there has been some agreement on that). As i said, not surprised, except that i had feared a new vocal on Claudine for some reason, so in a way pleasantly surprised that was left untouched.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 11:42 by still ill.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 7, 2011 11:52

Thanks for the tip

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 7, 2011 12:18

Gazza
vermontoffender
Amazing how many people at IORR have whined for years about the vaults not being open, and now that they are, they're still whining.

Whiners.

Most of the comments posted above yours were either pretty positive or merely speculating on whether a vocal is new or not. Are you reading a different thread?
There's exactly one negative post in this thread of someone whining and pissing and that is vermont offender.

Date: November 7, 2011 12:26

Sounds great

Keep up Blues - is "Some People Tell Me"
"You Win Again" - did they keep all previous vocals and just add on top?
"Dont Be A Stranger" is "Lucky in Love"/"Do You Get Enough"
"So Young" is the best IMO. Just fantastic.
"I Lve You Too Much" somehow works with Jagger's new vocal on top of Keith's old one. Obviously they had more lyrics than I' thought.
Some of the Blues choices surprise me, in that they are unremarkable back then. "When you're Gone" - why did Jagger pick that one?
"We Had It All" -I'm amazed how well they were able to clean it up. They must have recorded it very well; lots of separation. And that's a vocal I hadn't heard.

I love this. I LOVE it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 12:39 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:25

Palace Revolution 2000
Sounds great

Keep up Blues - is "Some People Tell Me"
"You Win Again" - did they keep all previous vocals and just add on top?
"Dont Be A Stranger" is "Lucky in Love"/"Do You Get Enough"
"So Young" is the best IMO. Just fantastic.
"I Lve You Too Much" somehow works with Jagger's new vocal on top of Keith's old one. Obviously they had more lyrics than I' thought.
Some of the Blues choices surprise me, in that they are unremarkable back then. "When you're Gone" - why did Jagger pick that one?
"We Had It All" -I'm amazed how well they were able to clean it up. They must have recorded it very well; lots of separation. And that's a vocal I hadn't heard.

I love this. I LOVE it!

Really? Some People Tell Me? Great news if it is right!

Date: November 7, 2011 15:29

I really hope they kept the original vocals on Some People Tell Me!

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:40

Any idea of what will on the third disc? So young (piano version!), Miss you (video), but what else?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:42

what third disc?

Do you mean the DVD?

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:50

Yes, the third should be the DVD, with video?, and also audio. As I could notice at iTunes UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 15:51 by alexander paul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:55

First impressions...

'Claudine is the known bootlegged version, original vocals, but new harmony vocals by Jagger.

'So Young' is the same as '93, but now with new harmony vocals.

'Do You Think I Really Care' was once the best Stones outtake ever available, but now is just atrocious with this horrible Jagger vocals...There's some Ron Wood guitar lines that I have not heard before, and there's an awful piano solo.

'When You're Gone' has new vocals and new harmonica by Jagger. It also sound like a different version than the bootlegged one.

'Don't Be a Stranger' is 'Do You Get Enough', same version to my ears. Terrible vocals.

'We Had It All is Version III, the one with harmonical, acoustic guitar intro and upfront pedal steel guitar but with different, never bootlegged vocals.

'Tallahassee Lassie' sounds completely original to me, but it is a different version than the one we have. Fantastic track.

'I Love You Too Much' has the original '77 vocals as well, but it does sound different then the bootlegged version.

‘Keep Up Blues’ is the great ‘Some People Tell Me’. The original was fantastic because the guitars where fantastic, and Jagger’s vocals where unique and truly magnificent. Why on earth did he redo them? New harmonica as well.

‘You Win Again’ has totally new Jagger vocals, lead and harmony. I don’t hear Richards.

‘Petrol Blues’ is Petrol Gang.

Mathijs

Date: November 7, 2011 16:06

Mathijs
First impressions...

'Claudine is the known bootlegged version, original vocals, but new harmony vocals by Jagger.

'Do You Think I Really Care' was once the best Stones outtake ever available, but now is just atrocious with this horrible Jagger vocals...There's some Ron Wood guitar lines that I have not heard before, and there's an awful piano solo.

'When You're Gone' has new vocals and new harmonica by Jagger. It also sound like a different version than the bootlegged one.

'Don't Be a Stranger' is 'Do You Get Enough', same version to my ears. Terrible vocals.

'We Had It All is Version III, the one with harmonical, acoustic guitar intro and upfront pedal steel guitar but with different, never bootlegged vocals.

'Tallahassee Lassie' sounds completely original to me, but it is a different version than the one we have. Fantastic track.

'I Love You Too Much' has the original '77 vocals as well, but it does sound different then the bootlegged version.

‘Keep Up Blues’ is the great ‘Some People Tell Me’. The original was fantastic because the guitars where fantastic, and Jagger’s vocals where unique and truly magnificent. Why on earth did he redo them? New harmonica as well.

‘You Win Again’ has totally new Jagger vocals, lead and harmony. I don’t hear Richards.

Mathijs

That's sad. IMO, some of the best vocals by Jagger ever on the bootleg version.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 7, 2011 16:08

Believe it or not, I Love You Too Much is mostly untouched.

Just compare it to the bootleg take. It's almost the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 16:17 by Hillside Blues.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 7, 2011 16:30

Mathijs
First impressions...

Mathijs

But is he shouting and growling in a similar way as he did on the bootlegged version? Is the fantastic Keith-Ronnie-guitar-work the same?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 7, 2011 17:43

Did not test yet but I did a test with the 2009 remaster and the 2011 on Some girl.. can you hear it even in poor 256 k ???
yes it does sound clearer and better smiling bouncing smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: November 7, 2011 17:51

vermontoffender

Whiners.

Do you mean that fans are obligated to accept and praise everything that gets released? That seems odd. I'd expect some critical analysis from the hard-core fans here.

The Stones took one of the biggest swings and misses possible with the Exile set - which was extremely disappointing, considering how great it could have been (and how much I love that era). It sounds like they did a much better job with SG.

I do admit that, even if they had put together a mind-blowing Exile box - like maybe a 5-CD set chronicling the progression of every song, and lots of alternate versions (like the original afternoon run-through of Happy and the 25-minute (?) Just Wanna See His Face that was edited down (and didn't Keith record a Rip This Joint vocal)) - I'd still want a a 7- or 10-CD box. (And if they sold a 10-CD set, I'd want 14 discs!) But that's not whining. That's being a fan who wants more Stones music.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 7, 2011 18:31

wow..i think everything sounds great (new & old vocals). pleasantly surprised. thanks for the heads-up to check these out at UK iTunes store. haven't read every post on this thread yet..is the piano So Young an iTunes only track?

especially liking DO YOU THINK I REALLY CARE.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 18:33 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: November 7, 2011 18:48

Mathijs
First impressions...
"Keep Up Blues’ is the great ‘Some People Tell Me’. The original was fantastic because the guitars where fantastic, and Jagger’s vocals where unique and truly magnificent. Why on earth did he redo them? New harmonica as well.

Mathijs

Haven't heard the new version...but redoing the vocals, c'mon really...was probably a good move for an update....

Date: November 7, 2011 18:51

Is there somebody who could explain how one get to hear these samples? Never visited itunes before....and can't seem to find this thing. Thanks

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home