Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: In desperate search of more ROBERT CRAY fans
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:39

He's great, I can't believe a crowd would boo the poor guy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:49

DaveG
I only have his Shame and a Sin CD but I have always liked him. I lived in and around Eugene in the early to mid 70's and he was playing in the local clubs and pubs just about every weekend. I never saw him then but I know he had developed a loyal following. He was a member of "Otis Day and the Knights" in "National Lampoon's Animal House", when they played in a place called The Dexter Lake Club in the film. I actually lived across the street from the Dexter Lake Club and saw some of the scenes being filmed! But, I digress . . .

Saw him in support of Eric Clapton in '06 at RAH and he was brilliant. I liked him much better live than his recordings. He is more raw in his shows. I got some great video of him at that show before the ushers told me to put away the camera. However, the highlight of that concert was not EC, but Derek Trucks, who was part of EC's band that night. He brought a Wow-factor that neither Cray nor Clapton could muster up.

trucks is in a league of his own. the night i caught Cray opening for EC was the first show after trucks left to join his brothers in that other band. Robert stole the show with the singular highlight (Twenty) of the night.

didn't know you were a fellow eugenean, dave...go ducks.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:56

Smoking Gun is a nice song.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:02

StonesTod, I had no idea you lived in Eugene. I'm still smarting from the BCS Championship game last year! I used to go to the games when Norv Turner was quarterback (we called him Norv Turnover).

Yeah, I lived in the Willamette Valley for about 10 or 11 years, in the Eugene area for about 7. Still one of my favorite areas. I live near Seattle now but often my wife and I go to the Oregon Coast for a few days.

Date: November 2, 2011 01:03

i get to eugene at least once a year - usually for a duck game...live in austin now - made it to the lsu game this year...we been good since then...worried about the husky game, though....

love eugene...just no way to make a living there.

Date: November 2, 2011 01:06

No need to worry about the Husky game. They are a much-improved team, but no match at all for the Ducks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:13

It's not hatred for Robert Cray, it's indifference. You shake your head and think, 'How can white people play better blues than this guy'? It's like the conundrum of Bill Wyman being a more soulful bass player for the Stones than Darryl Jones. George Benson was super smooth too, but he could turn on some emotion. Robert Cray, as technically good as he is, lacks depth. Once again, no hatred, no feeling whatsoever.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:22

StonesTod
I'm still stinging from all the Cray-hatred emanating from this site recently. I've calmed down a bit. I would like to believe somewhere out there that there exist other like-minded souls as me who admire Robert's multi-talents. Fabulous song-writer (Twenty comes to immediate mind), wonderful R&B singer...and has some crazy, unique guitar licks. Grew up with Robert in Eugene when he employed another great vocalist as his front-man (Curtis Salgado - still working the circuit in the Pac Northwest) and was working for tips...saw him open for John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters and always knew greater things were ahead. He done good. Listening to his latest as I write...sublime....

Others? Fave Cray records? I'd go with I Was Warned for the title track alone...as good as music gets.

Cray haters need not respond...but if you do...well, you'll see....

I saw Cray at the Birchmere last February. I was about 15 feet from him, sitting at a table. He was fantastic. What was the question?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:34

Well but he is rather slick man. I mean, I dig him as an artist but he ain't Curtis Mayfield or Jimmy Reed.

Date: November 2, 2011 02:35

24FPS
It's not hatred for Robert Cray, it's indifference. You shake your head and think, 'How can white people play better blues than this guy'? It's like the conundrum of Bill Wyman being a more soulful bass player for the Stones than Darryl Jones. George Benson was super smooth too, but he could turn on some emotion. Robert Cray, as technically good as he is, lacks depth. Once again, no hatred, no feeling whatsoever.

well, as they say, hate isn't the opposite of love, indifference is. no xmas card for you.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 03:26

While StonesTod has annoyed me greatly here several times, it seems we have an accord.

Robert Cray is one of my favorite artists.

I never think of him as blues really, so i don't really get the whole smooth, ball room blues, put downs. To me, he has always been old fashioned soul and one of the best.

Date: November 2, 2011 05:11

KeefintheNight82
While StonesTod has annoyed me greatly here several times, it seems we have an accord.

I never think of him as blues really, so i don't really get the whole smooth, ball room blues, put downs. To me, he has always been old fashioned soul and one of the best.

bless you. no more annoyances, it is hoped.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 06:35

Loved him in 'Animal House'.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 07:12

StonesTod
KeefintheNight82

bless you. no more annoyances, it is hoped.

Heh. I get over stuff just as quick as I am annoyed by it. Bygones!

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: November 2, 2011 07:56

Steve Jordan produced an album by Robert Cray titled "Take Your Shoes Off" on Ryko that's pretty damn good!

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 2, 2011 09:12

We must have a listen to him :

Great voice but too lighweighted for my rough taste...I had to throw myself over a Robert Johnson CD after this guy...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 2, 2011 14:48

bbkink
Steve Jordan produced an album by Robert Cray titled "Take Your Shoes Off" on Ryko that's pretty damn good!

jordan plays on it, too...so does bobby keys

Date: November 2, 2011 16:20

MadMax
Well but he is rather slick man. I mean, I dig him as an artist but he ain't Curtis Mayfield or Jimmy Reed.

so true. and conversely, neither curtis nor jimmy were robert cray. funny how that works.

Date: November 2, 2011 16:21

DaveG
No need to worry about the Husky game. They are a much-improved team, but no match at all for the Ducks.

so, huck the fuskies?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:41

I like a lot of his stuff. Certainly not gutbucket or raw blues, but a polished modern singer of blues-based soul music. Pretty nice picker too.

Date: November 2, 2011 16:55

Elmo Lewis
I like a lot of his stuff. Certainly not gutbucket or raw blues, but a polished modern singer of blues-based soul music. Pretty nice picker too.

yeah...the criticisms of him seem to be what he's NOT. it'd be like saying the stones are okay, but they're not exactly stan kenton.

i can't thing of another single artist who encompasses all that robert brings to the party...a very rare bird.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:57

Maybe you should try to find more Cray fans on a Clapton forum.

Date: November 2, 2011 17:01

Koen

but...but...i'm finding plenty here, thankfully. i will soon start my much-anticipated OFFICIAL ERIC CLAPTON APPRECIATION THREAD here, as well. stay tuned!

Date: November 2, 2011 17:02

Not huck the fuskies but they will have a hard time with Oregon. However, the Ducks will have a tough time with Stanford.

Date: November 2, 2011 17:19

DaveG
Not huck the fuskies but they will have a hard time with Oregon. However, the Ducks will have a tough time with Stanford.

and SC...

Date: November 2, 2011 17:23

Robert Cray, Chris Rea or Robben Ford - they're all good players, but I'm just not into their sound.

That said, Robert Cray is WAY better than other pop music on the market today.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 2, 2011 17:37

StonesTod
Koen

but...but...i'm finding plenty here, thankfully. i will soon start my much-anticipated OFFICIAL ERIC CLAPTON APPRECIATION THREAD here, as well. stay tuned!

'Politician'

Great riff

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:03

StonesTod
i get to eugene at least once a year - usually for a duck game...live in austin now - made it to the lsu game this year...we been good since then...worried about the husky game, though....

love eugene...just no way to make a living there.
You better worry about the Stanford game!eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:15

There was a time when he was presented on every guitar mag as the new blues guitar hero. What I heard then didn't move me. Probably too "intellectual" to be my cup of blues. The first impression remained until sometime ago someone gave me a DVD of Clapton's crossroads festival, and I gotta say that Robert's performance was truly great. The kind of greatness that can come only from great musicians, not only great players. Ok, so now that I've changed my mind, what is the essential RC recording to buy?

C

Date: November 2, 2011 19:26

liddas
There was a time when he was presented on every guitar mag as the new blues guitar hero. What I heard then didn't move me. Probably too "intellectual" to be my cup of blues. The first impression remained until sometime ago someone gave me a DVD of Clapton's crossroads festival, and I gotta say that Robert's performance was truly great. The kind of greatness that can come only from great musicians, not only great players. Ok, so now that I've changed my mind, what is the essential RC recording to buy?

C

his 18-cd boxset is a good place to start

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home