Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: In desperate search of more ROBERT CRAY fans
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:29

StonesTod
liddas
There was a time when he was presented on every guitar mag as the new blues guitar hero. What I heard then didn't move me. Probably too "intellectual" to be my cup of blues. The first impression remained until sometime ago someone gave me a DVD of Clapton's crossroads festival, and I gotta say that Robert's performance was truly great. The kind of greatness that can come only from great musicians, not only great players. Ok, so now that I've changed my mind, what is the essential RC recording to buy?

C

his 18-cd boxset is a good place to start

Out of stock, unfortunately!

C

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:36

liddas
StonesTod
liddas
There was a time when he was presented on every guitar mag as the new blues guitar hero. What I heard then didn't move me. Probably too "intellectual" to be my cup of blues. The first impression remained until sometime ago someone gave me a DVD of Clapton's crossroads festival, and I gotta say that Robert's performance was truly great. The kind of greatness that can come only from great musicians, not only great players. Ok, so now that I've changed my mind, what is the essential RC recording to buy?

C

his 18-cd boxset is a good place to start

Out of stock, unfortunately!

C

well, it was a best-seller. but, i still think I Was Warned is his best...or maybe Midnight Stroll. or...just about anything else he's done. There's really no such thing as a bad RCB album...

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:41

go on a blues forum. Here we rock

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: November 2, 2011 19:46

toomuchforme

i guess blues is toomuchforyou

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:35

toomuchforme

Not sure I put Cray in the straight blues box. That point aside--

It's much more fun to argue with Tod, but to say there's no place for blues on a Stones forum is not only wrong, it's unthinkable, so please re-think this comment

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:36

toomuchforme

unless we happen to roll.

Date: November 2, 2011 20:38

texas fan
toomuchforme

It's much more fun to argue with Tod, but to say there's no place for blues on a Stones forum is not only wrong, it's unthinkable, so please re-think this comment

it's not blues, it's not rock, it's not r&b. in fact, you go to your local cd store and you'll find his discs filed in a section called "cray"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:40

StonesTod
texas fan
toomuchforme

it's not blues, it's not rock, it's not r&b. in fact, you go to your local cd store and you'll find his discs filed in a section called "cray"

I love that colourful crayola sound.

Posted by: stones69 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 22:18

I saw him live in the 80's; great guitar player. "Strong Persuader" is a fine LP; my favorite song is "Right Next Door" - kick ass solo. Check out his LP with Albert Collins and Johnny Copeland; "Showdown" - damn good playin' from all three.

Date: November 2, 2011 22:23

stones69
I saw him live in the 80's; great guitar player. "Strong Persuader" is a fine LP; my favorite song is "Right Next Door" - kick ass solo. Check out his LP with Albert Collins and Johnny Copeland; "Showdown" - damn good playin' from all three.

yeah - that was a good one on the alligator label...sadly, we've lost those other two gunslingers...johnny's daughter has become a star in the biz, though....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:24

I got interested in the blues in the early 80's (after being introduced to the genre by the Stones), and Robert Cray was one of those hot new, current names (the biggest being, of course, Stevie Ray Vaughan). Cray actually played with Duke Robillard in our local club Kåren in Turku in 1984 or 1985, but the bastards didn't let me in since I was too young...

Anyway, I really liked the BAD INFLUENCE album. It has a fresh but interestingly original sophisticated sound, and it clearly stood out within the genre. But I was disappointed with the next album FALSE ACCUSATIONS which I find too slick for my blues taste (I am not actually a big fan of BB King either; that kind of 'vegas' style of blues is not my cup of tea). I lost the interest to his new music ever since (I have heard some of his albums but I think all they belong to the FALSE ACCUSATIONS style).

But I finally got a chance to see his band live in 1991 when he played at Järvenpää Puistoblues happening. He was simply phenomenal! What a wonderful voice and guitar touch. And the songs actually sounded extremily strong and melody full. But still lots of blues in it. I don't think his records do him right in this sense. It's 'live' music. (It was altogher a great happening: the others on the bill were Bo Diddley and John Lee Hooker - for a blues fan it was a heaven to catch these acts one by one.)

Then when I heard that he is an opening act for The Stones in Helsinki 1995 I was thrilled. But I need to say that was a disappointment. Well, of course, it is difficult for anyone to open for the Stones, and that was my first Stones concert ever! So, there were bigger kind of expectations in my mind at the time, so it was not easy to concentrate on Cray's performance. I find Cray's contribution then bit a boring and repitative, and I got the FALSE ACCUSATIONS feelings again. Not heard much about the man ever since. My false, though. But BAD INFLUENCE sounds as good now as it did in 1983.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-03 00:26 by Doxa.

Date: November 3, 2011 15:54

Doxa
I lost the interest to his new music ever since (I have heard some of his albums but I think all they belong to the FALSE ACCUSATIONS style).

and more wrong you couldn't be....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 3, 2011 16:12

Doxa
Anyway, I really liked the BAD INFLUENCE album. It has a fresh but interestingly original sophisticated sound, and it clearly stood out within the genre. But I was disappointed with the next album FALSE ACCUSATIONS which I find too slick for my blues taste (I am not actually a big fan of BB King either; that kind of 'vegas' style of blues is not my cup of tea). I lost the interest to his new music ever since (I have heard some of his albums but I think all they belong to the FALSE ACCUSATIONS style).

- Doxa

My thoughts too

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: November 3, 2011 19:03

Cray always leaned more toward a soul artist that took brilliant guitar solos. He became more and more soul oriented as the years went on.

The blues box they stuck him in quite early on really limited his potential to be a popular artist.

B.B. King is blues, sophisticated, jazz inflected, uptown, whatever.

But Cray has always been more like..Marvin Gaye with a mean guitar.

That's not exactly fair to him as a description either but it's better than calling him a blues artist and saying you don't like his blues because they are too smooth.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home