Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: In desperate search of more ROBERT CRAY fans
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:40

I'm still stinging from all the Cray-hatred emanating from this site recently. I've calmed down a bit. I would like to believe somewhere out there that there exist other like-minded souls as me who admire Robert's multi-talents. Fabulous song-writer (Twenty comes to immediate mind), wonderful R&B singer...and has some crazy, unique guitar licks. Grew up with Robert in Eugene when he employed another great vocalist as his front-man (Curtis Salgado - still working the circuit in the Pac Northwest) and was working for tips...saw him open for John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters and always knew greater things were ahead. He done good. Listening to his latest as I write...sublime....

Others? Fave Cray records? I'd go with I Was Warned for the title track alone...as good as music gets.

Cray haters need not respond...but if you do...well, you'll see....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-01 21:43 by StonesTod.

Re: OT: In desperate search of more ROBERT CRAY fans
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:46

hullo,
got most of his cd's , listen to them once in a while.
good music, not thrilling, but good. he's a sympathic guy, talented.
i remember in Nijmegen, Holland, in 1195 he got booed during the Voodoo lounge Shows.
Never seen him live in other places, so i cant judge on his live shows.
Rally like: his cd from the pond, or something.
everytime he releases a cd, i download or copy it.
I enjoy his music. he is one of the greats.
Enjoy and discover his music, go on !!
Jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:46

in 1995 i mean ofcourse

Date: November 1, 2011 21:49

hey, what's 800 years between friends? good on you, corriecas...you can expect a xmas card this year.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:49

"pardon" is my favourite, with this really great guitar solo.
saw him years ago, when he was support act for joe cocker in
1999 and eric clapton in 2006

Date: November 1, 2011 21:52

kait
"pardon" is my favourite, with this really great guitar solo.
saw him years ago, when he was support act for joe cocker in
1999 and eric clapton in 2006

kait gets a card, too

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:59

loved how he sounded with the Stones on Stop Breaking Down in Miami. I remember thinking that it sounded as if he had been (or should be) in the band...

Date: November 1, 2011 22:03

chrism13
loved how he sounded with the Stones on Stop Breaking Down in Miami. I remember thinking that it sounded as if he had been (or should be) in the band...

frankly, it was disappointing to me. robert did fine, but i thought the arrangement missed the mark....but, kinda tough to compete with the studio rendition...

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: November 1, 2011 22:21

Saw him playing with Eric Clapton a few years back and he practically stole the show

Also his performance in Hail, Hail Rock and Roll was outstanding !

Date: November 1, 2011 22:27

boston2006
Saw him playing with Eric Clapton a few years back and he practically stole the show

Also his performance in Hail, Hail Rock and Roll was outstanding !

merry xmas to you

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 1, 2011 22:31

I like Robert Cray. I've seen him twice. First time was in 2004....a double bill with Buddy Guy in Seattle, right on Puget Sound. 2nd time was a New Years Eve show in Milwaukee, I think '06 into '07. I've listened to "Midnight Stroll" and "Shame + A Sin" quite a bit......favorite songs around that time are probably "Bouncin' Back" and "I Shiver".

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 1, 2011 22:41

Robert Cray....France 2010

GC: When you travel abroad, do you see audiences acting differently because they haven't been exposed as much to that same categorization?

Robert Cray: What I hear, when we go abroad, is that when you turn on the radio you are liable to hear just about anything on any particular radio station. That's the thing. Being categorized as one particular band doesn't stop you from getting airplay over there as it does here in America.So, when you do go to play in Europe, it's wide open. A person who's out there that's a blues fan will like listening to Sarah Vaughan or somebody, which is great. That's what it's all about. There are all different kinds of music and you limit yourself if you categorize.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 1, 2011 22:42

StonesTod
I'm still stinging from all the Cray-hatred emanating from this site recently. I've calmed down a bit. I would like to believe somewhere out there that there exist other like-minded souls as me who admire Robert's multi-talents. Fabulous song-writer (Twenty comes to immediate mind), wonderful R&B singer...and has some crazy, unique guitar licks. Grew up with Robert in Eugene when he employed another great vocalist as his front-man (Curtis Salgado - still working the circuit in the Pac Northwest) and was working for tips...saw him open for John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters and always knew greater things were ahead. He done good. Listening to his latest as I write...sublime....

Others? Fave Cray records? I'd go with I Was Warned for the title track alone...as good as music gets.

Who hates Robert Cray? I enjoy his music.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: November 1, 2011 22:49

misterfrias
StonesTod

well, not hate...i used that term for effect. but do a search here on cray - and you'll see some here are less than enthusiastic about him. i'm okay now about it. but, i just don't understand.....or something.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:04

StonesTod
misterfrias
StonesTod

well, not hate...i used that term for effect. but do a search here on cray - and you'll see some here are less than enthusiastic about him. i'm okay now about it. but, i just don't understand.....or something.

Some called him "easy listening music" if I am not mistaken .

Date: November 1, 2011 23:06

SwayStones
StonesTod
misterfrias
StonesTod

smooth was a term often used. scathing.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:07

Excellent guitarist, but unfortunately all he does is easy listening ballroom blues...

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2011 23:09

Mathijs
Excellent guitarist, but unfortunately all he does is easy listening ballroom blues...

Mathijs

i take it then that you've heard everything he's done?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:12

StonesTod
SwayStones
smooth was a term often used. scathing.

It wasn't smooth; but a word also starting with s - but one less letter, won't mention it again....I feel guilty for the first time. But no hatred or anything.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:13

I really like his "Shame + a sin" album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:14

I suppose next your going to start a "where's the love for Colin James" thread?

Date: November 1, 2011 23:18

StonesTod
Mathijs

Mathijs

mmm...well, I think I gave all albums he has released a listen. Outside that I haven't heard much of him no.

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2011 23:18

treaclefingers
I suppose next your going to start a "where's the love for Colin James" thread?

i was thinking "eagles" actually

Date: November 1, 2011 23:19

Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs

Mathijs

mmm...well, I think I gave all albums he has released a listen. Outside that I haven't heard much of him no.

Mathijs

you must really like easy listening ballroom blues

Date: November 1, 2011 23:37

StonesTod
Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

you must really like easy listening ballroom blues

No, his albums where given away free with a subscription to 'Guitar Magazine'.

Mathijs

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:40

Hey Erik, don't feel ashamed that you were right and used the correct term the first time you described Cray's music.

Hubert Sumlin, Little Walter, Son House, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield-GODLIKE

Robert Cray-S.....

smileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:40

confused smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 1, 2011 23:58

Whether you like him or not, he got several Grammy Awards thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:00

NICOS
confused smiley

This post was meant to be before MadMax post

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:21

I only have his Shame and a Sin CD but I have always liked him. I lived in and around Eugene in the early to mid 70's and he was playing in the local clubs and pubs just about every weekend. I never saw him then but I know he had developed a loyal following. He was a member of "Otis Day and the Knights" in "National Lampoon's Animal House", when they played in a place called The Dexter Lake Club in the film. I actually lived across the street from the Dexter Lake Club and saw some of the scenes being filmed! But, I digress . . .

Saw him in support of Eric Clapton in '06 at RAH and he was brilliant. I liked him much better live than his recordings. He is more raw in his shows. I got some great video of him at that show before the ushers told me to put away the camera. However, the highlight of that concert was not EC, but Derek Trucks, who was part of EC's band that night. He brought a Wow-factor that neither Cray nor Clapton could muster up.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home