Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Who is the better or complete songwritter in the Stones?
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: November 1, 2011 13:58

Best Jagger/Richards songs that Mick Taylor wrote: Sway, Moonlight Mile

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 1, 2011 14:16

Mick's & Keith's solo work is possibly a good indication of what they each bring to the table and maybe lack in the art of crafting songs.

Mick's songs sometimes need to Keith to give them some grounding and depth.
Keith's work often needs Mick to provide some structure & discipline.

It's easy to imagine many of Micks songs as a manufactured product, whereas Keith tries to grow them from a seed in the ground and they sort of find their own shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-01 14:21 by Spud.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 1, 2011 14:20

It was much easier with Lennon/McCartney. The one that wrote the song sunged it, and Ringo took what was left over.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 1, 2011 16:11

DiscoVolante
Sway is a Mick Jagger song, Moonlight Mile is a Jagger/Richards song Keith did come up with structure of the song even if he did not play on the recorded version.

Date: November 1, 2011 16:16

Ket
DiscoVolante
Sway is a Mick Jagger song, Moonlight Mile is a Jagger/Richards song Keith did come up with structure of the song even if he did not play on the recorded version.

And Richards was singing on Sway. How do we know he didn't come up with lyrics, hooks etc.? I'd like to hear that.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 1, 2011 17:18

Come On
It was much easier with Lennon/McCartney. The one that wrote the song sunged it, and Ringo took what was left over.

He did require a 'little' help from his friends after all.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 1, 2011 17:27

DiscoVolante

Taylor didn't write those songs. He was, of course, hugely important in making them what they are (that's what band members should do), but he didn't write them. It's arguable that his contributions should have resulted in partial credit for the music, but probably not in light of the prevailing legal standards.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 1, 2011 17:37

Keith has said many times he likes to give the band a seed of something and see what they turn it into in the studio over long jams. Mick likes to come in with songs more fully prepared. Mick also said that when he writes with Keith, Keith will play the same chord endlessly and Mick will say, "We need a change here. And then another one here." Mick told an interviewer, "Sometimes I feel like a broken record," having so often to tell Keith to come up with more changes. But that doesn't mean Mick's result are better than Keith's. But it sounds like Mick writes songs more "traditionally."

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 1, 2011 18:48

Jagger but Keiths unfinished symphonies are not far behind. Gimme Shelter is their best work and the best rock song.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 1, 2011 19:49

Generally speaking and as far as I can tell, Keith is the more interesting songwriter. His songs have a subject. He often works around a central theme or metaphor. He likes to play with words. He shows a heart. He shows vulnerability. His songs can touch me. I do not think he throws around words and hopes they stick. Very often his two only songs are the only ones in the show that have any emotional impact for me. I wish he would write more.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 1, 2011 19:57

Bill Wyman wrote JJF, so he is the best. thumbs up

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 1, 2011 20:39

Mick is the craftsman, the writer of Brown Sugar, Angie, Sympathy For The Devil, the songs that we remember because they have fascinating lyrics ; he also helped write many of the lyrics to Gimme Shelter, for the record. And he's a lot more modest about his writing accomplishments and rarely jumps up and says he wrote an entire song by himself....although clearly he HAS done this on many occasions!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 1, 2011 20:47

pmk251
Generally speaking and as far as I can tell, Keith is the more interesting songwriter. His songs have a subject. He often works around a central theme or metaphor. He likes to play with words. He shows a heart. He shows vulnerability. His songs can touch me. I do not think he throws around words and hopes they stick. Very often his two only songs are the only ones in the show that have any emotional impact for me. I wish he would write more.

I apply all those traits to Jagger...

Date: November 1, 2011 20:50

mickschix
Mick is the craftsman, the writer of Brown Sugar, Angie, Sympathy For The Devil, the songs that we remember because they have fascinating lyrics ; he also helped write many of the lyrics to Gimme Shelter, for the record. And he's a lot more modest about his writing accomplishments and rarely jumps up and says he wrote an entire song by himself....although clearly he HAS done this on many occasions!

Yep.
I have to say this over and over, but I really love Keith, but you pointed out one of the main distinctions between the two: fascinating lyrics.
That's what makes people remember these songs.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:15

Koen
Bill Wyman wrote JJF, so he is the best.

Finally
It's settled!

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:24

Mick is better at being contemporary, Keith better at being timeless.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:30

Can you give an example of how Keith's lyrics are " timeless"? I think that " Sympathy" has historical references and is certainly an example of timeless lyrics..which Keith song would put him into this category, just curious.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:43

stupidguy2
Saying that Mick is a more complete songwriter is not diminishing Keith's own genius. But the thread is not 'Who is the better riff-master or musician?'
Its who is the better "songwriter". Keef fans need to get a grip. Keith is the groove, the guts of a song. Jagger is the one who gives it shape. Why is it so hard for some of you guys to accept some fans giving Jagger the edge on a certain aspect of the Gimmer Twins?

It's clear Jagger Slaggers really have male-crushes on him and fear how the androgynous pics make them feel.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-02 00:43 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:07

NICOS
I remember Mick said ...............I have to check it out first because I can't remember confused smiley

I found it ............

Check from 1.20...I'm not much on the music side...........I leave it to my friend Keith.......(because The Beatles are more better song writers)
....great interview ...so we can say that Mick wasn't the music song writer....but I think he forgot to mention that he is the one who wrote the lyrics..I guess

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:13

Solo tracks (i'm only counting from studio albums) crediting only Mick or Keith as the solo songwriter.

Mick - She's the Boss - 6
Mick - Primitive Cool - 7
Keith - Talk is Cheap - 0
Mick - Wandering Spirit - 8
Keith - Main Offender - 0
Mick - Goddess in the Doorway - 8

As for the Alfie songs I couldn't find the writing info. But Mick even had a solo credit on Superheavy.

It would be safe to say that Mick is the more complete songwriter between he and Keith. One has done even more writing for soundtracks and outside collaborations. One's never earned a solo credit in his life.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-02 01:15 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:33

NICOS
NICOS
I remember Mick said ...............I have to check it out first because I can't remember confused smiley

I found it ............

Check from 1.20...I'm not much on the music side...........I leave it to my friend Keith.......(because The Beatles are more better song writers)
....great interview ...so we can say that Mick wasn't the music song writer....but I think he forgot to mention that he is the one who wrote the lyrics..I guess

Quite often the singer/lyricist is responsible for the main melody as well. Even if the song starts with the riff/guitar parts, the melody can be missing.

I think Mick shortchanges his contributions at this early stage.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:13

Didn't know Mick Jagger wrote Angie. Jagger is on record saying "That's one of Keith's" in response to a question asking if it was about Angela Bowie. He sure is modest!

Date: November 2, 2011 02:32

jamesfdouglas
stupidguy2
Saying that Mick is a more complete songwriter is not diminishing Keith's own genius. But the thread is not 'Who is the better riff-master or musician?'
Its who is the better "songwriter". Keef fans need to get a grip. Keith is the groove, the guts of a song. Jagger is the one who gives it shape. Why is it so hard for some of you guys to accept some fans giving Jagger the edge on a certain aspect of the Gimmer Twins?

It's clear Jagger Slaggers really have male-crushes on him and fear how the androgynous pics make them feel.

Its funny, because that's my impression of Keef fanboys. You can't utter an objective a word about the man without some of them getting all pissy.
Some of them seem to have such a disdain for Jagger, and that amazes me. I tend to think they're uncomfortable with Jagger's less blatant, deliberate manliness
I guess giving him credit for writing such balls-to-the-wall rock and roll is unthinkable.
Keef fan boys have the ultimate boy crushes. Jagger is too ambiguous a character to inspire full-on, teeny-bopper fandom. I think Jagger is more mysterious, mercurial - which makes him fascinating.
Whereas, Keef, with the blades, skull rings, sunken eyes - must be simply irrestible for armchair rebels.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-02 02:39 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 2, 2011 03:05

Max'sKansasCity
how long is a piece of string?

wasn't it "ow lung ees a piece a string? lol

But seriously, I would have to say Mick Jagger is hands down the best songwriter in the group. He has what it takes to take the whole process from beginning to end, including singing all the vocals, coming up with the melodies and the words. Keith is brilliant for short bursts but songwriting often takes some discipline which as we all know by now, Keith lacks. peace.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 2, 2011 04:39

Jesus , Mick's nailsbare digusting.

treaclefingers
NICOS
NICOS

I found it ............

Quite often the singer/lyricist is responsible for the main melody as well. Even if the song starts with the riff/guitar parts, the melody can be missing.

I think Mick shortchanges his contributions at this early stage.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 08:29

After listening to a few solo efforts this week, one thing is for sure, only one of them can sing. Richards fans really need to get a grip, I wrote Satisfaction in my sleep, all I did after that was give that little riff to Jagger to write the next 3 minute and 40 seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-03 09:35 by lapaz62.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 2, 2011 09:22

I don't think I could give an example of Keith"s lyrics being timeless. I also completely agree that Sympathy has historical references and has timeless lyrics, Maybe one of their best (we should start a new thread) But I wasn't commenting on the lyrics, I was thinking about the whole song. You know, drums..guitars..bass..backup singers..piano..singer... all blending together. You know, the complete sound of the song to the ear. Unless the lyrics are especially awfull, or especially brilliant (like Dylan), I rank them below all those other aspects. Boom Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker has the simplest of lyrics, but the way he sounds singing it is the brilliance. How, not what, he sings matters more. Same goes for Mick, who I love, in most songs it's not brilliant lyrics that make him, it is the way he delivers them. His timing, delivery, attitude and kick-ass grooves backing him up . Mick solo lacks those kick ass riffs and grooves that seem to flow out of Keith. We are so used to hearing him with them that he sounds weaker without em. Despite the rest of his talents. Keith on the other hand can come much closer to Mick in writing and singing lyrics than Mick can writing and playing riffs. So Keith Solo sounds much more like the Rolling Stones (which is what we all want all the time) than Mick does solo. If lyrics and lead singers are the litmus test, then yeah, Mick Jagger is better than Keith. But if all those instruments making noise in background also matter to you, you gotta go with Keith. I cheer my hardest for both of them, but Keith has never let me down, he is 2 for 2. I liked She's the Boss when it came out, same with Wandering Spirit, but they haven't faced the test of time that well. Primitive Cool, and Goddess, were misses, and that is unacceptable from our previously undefeated heroes.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 2, 2011 09:32

Koen
Bill Wyman wrote JJF, so he is the best. thumbs up

Yep, with a little help from Stu and Charlie...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 2, 2011 11:36

mickschix

Angie was written by Keith. And Brown Sugar wouldn't have gone anywhere without Keith's riffs. Those were made after Mick has written the song and the chords. We get a good look at that with the MSG 69 video, where Mick is playing what he had so far.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: November 2, 2011 11:56

mick wrote at least the lyrics for Angie, wich makes Mick and Keith co-writers for that song. And the Brown Sugar riff is Mick´s, that´s what he says.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home