Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
O/T What was the 1st CD You Ever Bought ?
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:33

Here's one for you old-timers like me who grew up with Records....albums & 45's....when vinyl was phased out in the very early 90's and you couldnt buy albums anymore, what was the first CD you purchased ?
Mine was a really cool release called "Danko, Anderson & Fjeld" on the Ryko label. A great collaboration between Rick Danko ( The Band ), folksinger Eric Anderson and Norwegian Folk SInger Jonas Fjeld. Was really a fine release...

What was yours ?

Re: O/T What was the 1st CD You Ever Bought ?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:35

Paradise & Lunch - Ry Cooder. Same day as I bought my first CD player. Late 1988, I think.

Vinyl wasnt 'phased out' at that point, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 01:57 by Gazza.

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:37

Some Girls in 1987. Still have it.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:46

Chuck Berry's greatest hits & Neil Young's Arc-weld

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:56

I was relatively late: for my birthday in, I think, 90, I bought Exile and Stevie Wonder's Innervisions.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:58

Regatta de Blanc

Boy those jewel cases were so much heavier too.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:58

Wailing Ultimate,compilation by Homestead Records and Mark Stewart, both in 1988.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:02

Ya Yas

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:04

As I was quite young when CD's were introduced, AND just becoming aware of music, I am slightly embarrassed to say my first CD was Vanilla Ice's debut. This would have been about 1990. My first Stones related purchase was still several years off...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:05

Yamaha CD-1 and Beggars ....... thought the repeat function was cool idea..
Beggars was runnin' 24hours a day ...use ta wake up thru the night Whooo Whooo...
Lasted like that for a couple of weeks .... please allow me..Whooo whoooo

ROCKMAN

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:11

The first CD I got was a gift, The Beatles "Hard Days Night" I couldnt believe how clear and harsh it sounded having heard the vinyl a million times. The first CD I bought was Miles Davis "Filles de Kilimanjaro" a fantastic release.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:18

Boz Scaggs ~ Silk Degrees

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:20

First CD? Impossible to say. When I bought my first CD player, I went out and bought about 20 to 25 CD's and I can tell you it did include some Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:43

Interesting thread. I never buy things like this when they come out. I wait for the inevitable price drop, and then buy the badazz upgrades... in this instance... a few(5-6) years after CDs/players came out, I was at a party and said to the host "WOW!! that is a GREAT mix tape you have playing there"... and he replied "Nope, not a mix tape. It is a multi CD cartridge player set to "RANDOM PLAY"...
What a great idea... and the next day I went out and bought a Pioneer CD player that took those 6 pack cartridges. Then we loaded up on extra cartridges and headed to the used CD store and loaded up on a bunch of Stones CDs and other rock and roll... and living happily ever after, to this very day.

I wonder when the first CD was invented? What was the first CD? Did they know it would also be used for computer sotrage? How long do CDs last?

Info from - [news.bbc.co.uk]

""The first CD produced was The Visitors by Abba.
Piet Kramer, who was a member of the optical group at Philips during the disc's development, said: "When Philips teamed up with Sony to develop the CD, our first target was to win over the world for the CD.

"We did this by collaborating openly to agree on a new standard. For Philips, this open innovation was a new approach and it paid off."

He said the companies had never imagined that the computing and entertainment industries would also opt for the CD as a storage system for content.

Jacques Heemskerk, who was one of the senior engineers involved with the optical side of CD players, said the team knew they were building a revolutionary product.

"It was revolutionary in many fields - the optics were new, the disc was new. At the start of development there wasn't even a laser that would work well enough for our needs.

"The most advanced laser at the time had a lifespan of only 100 hours."

He said the company had always planned on the format lasting at least 20 to 25 years.

"That was the model we had in mind although it seems that CD is going to last a lot longer than that. For many people the CD is still the original format, with others being derivative or back-ups."

The two companies began work on the format in 1979 and targetted a disc which could hold an hour of audio. The capacity was extended to 74 minutes, however, to accommodate a complete performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, forcing the disk to be made slightly larger."

"I always wish we had stuck with the original plan for an 11cm disc; it would have been more suited to the on-the-go age," said Mr Heemskerk.

He said that it had been a big culture shock for Philips when they had allied with Sony.

"The world was not as globalised as it is today. Our management had told us to be as open as possible and to share everything because that was the only way to have success.

"But we were suspicious and so were their engineers. But after a few days it became clear we could work together."

He added: "There were other companies working on similar technologies, so there was pressure.

"We always knew we could make the product but it was always about making it for the right cost and at scale."

The first CDs went on sale in November 1982 and were mainly classical recordings.

Classical music lovers were believed to be more affluent than pop and rock music fans, and Philips thought they would be more inclined to pay the price for the more expensive CDs and the very expensive CD-players,

The first models cost 2,000 Dutch guilders, about £1,000 at today's rate, taking into account inflation.

"When Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau recorded one of the first CDs for Polygram we discovered that he was grunting and panting while playing. Before on vinyl you didn't hear that but on CD it was crystal clear," said Frank van den Berg, a former member of the Polygram CD development task force.

In the last 10 years CD sales have been dropping worldwide while digital download sales are rising rapidly.

According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), digital sales will account for a quarter of all worldwide music sales by 2010.

CD sales in the UK have dropped 10% in the first half of this year, while download purchases have increased by 50%.

Richard Gooch, head of technology at IFPI, said: "CDs remain a very popular format for buying music in the digital era - indeed as CDs are a digital format they actually kick-started the digital age.

"The CD remained the most popular Christmas present in Britain last year. Despite the rise of downloading we expect that the CD will be here for many years to come."

Mr Heemskerk said CDs remained his format of choice.

"I don't have an iPod, although my youngest son uses one. But CDs are still his preferred format and he copies them on to his MP3 player." [news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 02:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:46

Their Satanic Majesties Request was my first CD

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:50

Bigger BANG............ still re regret it ................................................just joking

I really can't remember my first CD...have to check them all confused smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:11

I think it might well have been Highwire on CD single, and I think that the first album I bought would have been Flashpoint,.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:14

I'm always way behind the technology curve. I didn't own a CD player until 1993, and I think the only reason I bought one then was that the Beach Boys box set was coming out, and it was only going to be released on CD, and I had to have it. Those were the first CDs I ever bought.

Date: October 26, 2011 02:15

unfortunately "The Greatest Hits of Diana Ross"

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:19

Herman van Veen - In Vogelvlucht

My father's first CD was Steel Wheels, by the way.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:20

She's the boss, really great ..

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:40

Def Leppard Hysteria & Cheap Trick Lap of Luxury 1988

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:50

Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits was my first CD.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:55

Exile on Main Street in 1987, when it first became available on CD. It seems like it was August or September. I was 16 and didn't have a CD player yet. I had very strongly hinted that I wanted a CD player for Christmas, so I started buying a few CDs in advance so I'd have something to play on my new player once I got it.

I got Exile first because there were 18 songs on 1 disc...I didn't have alot of money back then, so I figured I was getting the most bang for my buck.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:59

Exile in 89 before I even had a CD player.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:10

Jimi Hendrix - War Heroes. From Osco in Missoula Montana. Vinyl of course. CD's had to be given to me by the truckload before I broke down and bought a player. Still think they kinda suck but I listen to plenty of them now. 24 bit is kinda nice. First break out some cash for a CD was for a "deluxe master" (whatever that is) CD of Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. First DTS surround CD was Boyz to Men, the one with "Thank You". peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 06:53 by Naturalust.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:11

Who Made Who - AC/DC... Not sure why

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:26

I remember taking the plunge and buying the relatively new technology of CDs. And there were very few CD's released at the time. A few Pink Floyd and Joe Cocker... I didn't own any Floyd albums, wasn't familiar with much of their stuff, so I got Dark Side of the Moon.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:58

I miss those long carboard boxes and the red lettering over white on the sides

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:06

With The Beatles & Talk Is Cheap
(came with a poster panel below)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home