Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live R than you'll ever be: Guitar question
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 1, 2011 13:14

Keith on Carol. Is it the ES? And is it the Dan Armstrong on I'm Free? Appreciate your help! Thank you!

Re: Live R than you'll ever be: Guitar question
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 1, 2011 17:53

Hmmmm, not easy to answer given that the quality of the recording, though good, is not excellent. Also through into the mix that Keith did not use the same guitar for each song during the tour. For example, in the Ethan Russell book, 'Let It Bleed', you can clearly see a pic of Keith playing the Bigsby Burst with a capo on the 4th fret, either for 'JJF' or 'SFM' but in 'Gimme Shelter' you see him using the LP Custom for at least 'SFM'. Having said that, you can see Keith on 'Oh Carol' using the Dan Armstrong and on 'I'm Free' from the 'GYYYO' remaster you can hear feed back coming from Keith's guitar, indicative of semi hollow body guitar like the ES-355 he used on that tour.

Date: November 1, 2011 18:03

Thank you ChrisM. You're the LesPaul guy, right? I remember one of the pictures of a LesPaul you uploaded here in IORR a long time ago. Well, I'm equally confused, because the guitar sound I hear on 'Carol', at least to my ears, is close to the one on SFTD, which is the Dan Armstrong. Next verse and it sounds like an ES. Anyway, I wanted to know, because it sounds so good. Gives the impression of an electric guitar, you know metallic strings and electricity. It hits you!

Date: November 1, 2011 22:32

Hi Kirk. I am indeed the Les Paul guy, amongst other things. (Martin and Fender guy also applies) The sound of the Armstrong and ES-355 are fairly distinctive on good recordings but tonal nuances are harder for me at least to pick out on low fidelity recordings such as on the boots from the '69 era. We can of course make educated guesses but we will probably never know with certainty which guitars Keith used on which songs at Oakland in 1969.

Date: November 2, 2011 00:17

Yes, you're right. I like to think that lots of stuff is lying around waiting to see the light of day sometime in the future. Thank you for taking the time! And take good care of your babies, Fenders, Martins, Gibsons etc. Have a nice day!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 2, 2011 10:55

ChrisM
Hi Kirk. I am indeed the Les Paul guy, amongst other things. (Martin and Fender guy also applies) The sound of the Armstrong and ES-355 are fairly distinctive on good recordings but tonal nuances are harder for me at least to pick out on low fidelity recordings such as on the boots from the '69 era. We can of course make educated guesses but we will probably never know with certainty which guitars Keith used on which songs at Oakland in 1969.

On pics from Oakland the Gibson ES-330 is behind Keith, resting at the amp. I reckon that gives feedbacks like crazy through a 350 watt Ampeg!

Mathijs

Date: November 2, 2011 14:10

Now you made it more complicate.... Sounds reasonable on the other hand.

Date: November 2, 2011 17:49

Mathijs
On pics from Oakland the Gibson ES-330 is behind Keith, resting at the amp. I reckon that gives feed backs like crazy through a 350 watt Ampeg!
Mathijs

Indeed it would Mathijs. I will need to look again but I don't recall seeing the ES-330 in any other pics in Russel's book. I wonder if the guitar was used much during the tour and where it is today? An Kirk, thanks for the good wishes and the same to you! By the way, please rmind me what guitars you have. I have not posted much here lately and and my memory is not what is used to be.

Date: November 2, 2011 18:22

Well, nothing special in my guitar appartment. An Epiphone Les Paul, and a Squier Tele. I just play by myself most of the time. Let's say they are decent.Not much money circulating anyway. I just remembered some fine pictures of a Les Paul of yours in a garden or balcony or something like that. Just stuck in my mind, like a perfect sunny morning. But I'm interested in guitar world. Sounds, images, books, amps, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home