Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: It Must Be Hell
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:16

I would think that Slash is a pretty huge Keith fan

Date: March 23, 2017 17:30

peoplewitheyes

More of a Ronnie fan (and friend), I'd say. However, Michael Jackson (who wrote the tune) was definitely NOT a Stones (or Mick) fan smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:37

Really like the song. did not think of SS. But now, yeah.
At the time, it (must be hell)sounded like a parody. The riffs are great though!!
Jeroen

Date: March 23, 2017 23:39

DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

More of a Ronnie fan (and friend), I'd say. However, Michael Jackson (who wrote the tune) was definitely NOT a Stones (or Mick) fan smiling smiley

If you analyse several Slash solos you'll discover that many melodic lines, bendings and pullings are coming straight from Taylor's kitchen. I bet he knows Brussels'73 by heart. Slash himself has stated that Taylor had a considerable musical impact on him. Of course he's a different generation's guitarist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 23:41 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 23, 2017 23:49

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

If you analyse several Slash solos you'll discover that many melodic lines, bendings and pullings are coming straight from Taylor's kitchen. I bet he knows Brussels'73 by heart. Slash himself has stated that Taylor had a considerable musical impact on him. Of course he's a different generation's guitarist.

True, but now we were discussing It Must Be Hell.

He's a mix of Taylor and Reinhardtsmiling smiley

Date: March 24, 2017 00:37

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

In this last post you were speculating about Slash's relation to Stones guitarist /him being a Wood or Richard fan. cool smiley

Re Reinhardt I assume you are joking. winking smiley

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: March 24, 2017 00:54

A real downer to end the album, worst thing on there. The album itself is quite fun if you're in the mood for stones lite, but this stinks the place out.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 24, 2017 01:57

Always loved it
Still remember going out to buy Undercover when it was released.
I reckon it's a tough sounding record and It Must Be Hell is a great tough little rocker

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 24, 2017 03:02

Great Riff all the way. Good rocker

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 24, 2017 03:24

wonderboy
Great, catchy song from the last real Stones album.
I enjoyed Undercover more than most, it had a great vibe to it.
I always interpreted this song to be about the hells we create, sometimes in our own minds. I kinda hear the Zen/Buddhist/Christian exhortation to wake up and see that this can be heaven if we let it.
Anyway, Mick has always enjoyed his life no matter what shit goes on. One of the things the Stones are about.

The hells we create... yes it could be an interpretation although when Jagger talks about millions unemployed I still think he's focusing on a particular regime.

A sort-of reworking of the 'Soul Survivor' riff. It's a bit of an obscure song despite being featured on a mainstream album. It's never been performed live and one wonders if it would have been on the playlist for the never realised Undercover-tour.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 24, 2017 06:41

'Some kids are hungry
Some overeat'

Great lyric, Mick.

Why don't the kids that are hungry and the kids that overeat sing this song all together?

Embarrassingly bad song partially redeemed by that over-the-top outro (which is bad too but can be fun if you bust out some exaggerated dance moves when nobody’s watching).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 09:17 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2017 07:54

this is my absolute favourite cover of Soul Survivor by anyone.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 24, 2017 10:43

treaclefingers

Yeah but it doesnt sound like the Stones except for the guitarist who actually does sound like Keith. But pretty lame to just steal a riff away.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:48

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

In this last post you were speculating about Slash's relation to Stones guitarist /him being a Wood or Richard fan. cool smiley

Connected to the topic of this thread.

Joking? Not at all. Listen to (parts of) the scales he blends into his pentatonic blues stuff. Bob Dylan agrees with me smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2017 15:25

Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers

Yeah but it doesnt sound like the Stones except for the guitarist who actually does sound like Keith. But pretty lame to just steal a riff away.

if they hadn't changed the lyrics, it would have sounded even closer to the rolling stones version!

Date: March 24, 2017 15:42

Why are those two chords a riff again? winking smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 24, 2017 17:25

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
On which song was this riff the best: It Must Be Hell, Soul Survivor or Rock And A Hard Place? winking smiley

Black Or White

If that counts, I'd say Whatever You Want smiling smiley

At least Michael's boys were inspired by the riff mentioned above.

I'm not sure if Slash and Michael were that into Soul Survivor.

Rick was more likely to be influenced by the Stones.

I cannot imagine that Slash doesn't know EOMS. Without albums like this there had never been a band like Guns'n Roses.

Date: March 24, 2017 19:16

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
On which song was this riff the best: It Must Be Hell, Soul Survivor or Rock And A Hard Place? winking smiley

Black Or White

I cannot imagine that Slash doesn't know EOMS. Without albums like this there had never been a band like Guns'n Roses.

I think albums like Rocks and Two Steps From The Move were more important for GnR.

Date: March 24, 2017 19:40

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

Black Or White

I think albums like Rocks and Two Steps From The Move were more important for GnR.

Too be honest I've never heard about Hanoi Rocks before ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 19:41 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: March 24, 2017 21:12

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

Black Or White

Too be honest I've never heard about Hanoi Rocks before ;-)

GnR had smiling smiley They bought the rights and released all their albums in the US.

Date: March 24, 2017 22:38

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

Connected to the topic of this thread.

Joking? Not at all. Listen to (parts of) the scales he blends into his pentatonic blues stuff. Bob Dylan agrees with me smiling smiley

Auch!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 24, 2017 22:46

Mathijs
71Tele
A forgettable non-entity, as I have forgotten it and am none the worse.

The best advice I can give you: grab that Undercover CD, and play it really loud. Open up your mind to some 'new' Stones, and find that the album actually is much stronger than you remembered. Great lyrics, great singing, great grooves, and the last album where the Stones still meant danger.

Mathijs

Undercover was actually my first Stones studio album purchase, and I guess that makes it an early fave.

Viewed in the great scheme of things It Must Be Hell is no masterpiece to listen to but it's enjoyable if nothing else.

A lot of their later songs were neither enjoyable nor listenable (thankfully, with exceptions).

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 24, 2017 23:02

If you want underrated 1980 stones try Too Much Blood. I like it. I have great memories of a summer with the Rewind video on constant replay in the background.

Date: March 24, 2017 23:21

Redhotcarpet
If you want underrated 1980 stones try Too Much Blood. I like it. I have great memories of a summer with the Rewind video on constant replay in the background.

She Was Hot and Too Much Blood could be great tracks if they hadn't that horrible 80's mix. The 80's mix works on Undercover Of The Night, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-25 10:59 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: March 25, 2017 00:18

Redhotcarpet

Yeah, Video Remind really did it for me, those cheesy undercover ones very funny.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 14, 2020 18:30

This track sounds every bit as fresh and wicked as it did in 1983.

Love that bass-line, especially in the outro.

Drew

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 14, 2020 18:40

Recycled riff and bad (bad bad not good bad) lyrics.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 14, 2020 18:42

matxil
It's one of the low-points of Undercover, together with Wanna Hold You, Too Tight and All The Way Down. Which is such a pity because the rest of the album is really very good, especially Tie You Up and Feel On Baby.
I can see how people might like "Must Be Hell", because yeah, that thundering Soul Survivor riff is cool, and the Honky Tonk Women chorus hiccups too. But then, luckily, those two songs are still available, so why listen to Must Be Hell? More than anything, it shows the Stones had started occasionally to give up trying. "Oh well, it ain't that bad, let's put it on the album".

To answer Dandelion's question, the riff works the best on Soul Survivor because it works as a climax there, it gives the song speed and dynamics and most importantly, it swings.
I sort of like it on Rock and A Hard Place, because it has a completely different feel there, it actually works nicely as a built-up before and as a climax after the bridge.
On Must Be Hell it's just a very static pattern that adds nothing.

I think you meant "Too Tough". "Too Tight" is on BTB.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home