Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what do you think of the Some Girls overdubs ...
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:02

Althopugh No Spare Parts sounds good, as with Exile, how can say they say these are Some Girls extras when vocals, guitars, etc were recorded in 2011??

Maybe its no different than when they released Tattoo You in '81 as a "new album." None of us minded that, but somehow this is different.

I'd like to hear the best versions of what was recorded in '77-'78, not a bunch of stuff they found in the vaults and cleaned up for release. I'll be interested to hear whath they did with Claudine--that was ready for release (on Emotional Rescue...but that's another thread, i guess). I hope Mick didnt change any offensive lyrics or overdub anything; just give is what we shoudk have gotten 30 years ago.

Is there a listing anywhere about the extra songs to tell us what was done to each one?

Re: what do you think of the Some Girls overdubs ...
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:04

No....because no fans have heard the released versions yet.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:06

i wish they'd try some underdubbing for a change.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:12

Either they should leave the outtakes as they were or they should complete them with a bridge and a solo. I don't understand why they overdub an incomplete track, which is a jam fragment more or less, adding nothing to the structure of the fragment, so that it is still an incomplete series of chords without any musical perfection.

Date: October 23, 2011 18:17

RobertJohnson
Either they should leave the outtakes as they were or they should complete them with a bridge

you realize that's virtually impossible without doing another full take with the band?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:22

Yes, but that's wouldn't go amiss ...

Date: October 23, 2011 18:25

they should just leave them the fork alone. i don't mind guide vocals or no vocals. anything but modern jagger vocals to decades-old tracks. how old is james jagger now? maybe he sounds more like mick from the 70's than papa does...

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:31

What guitars were overdubbed? All we know so far is that 'some' new vocals were put on 'some' of the songs. Because they were mostly finished to begin with.

Judging the whole thing based on one song is very Superheavy of one. Wait until more songs are out to judge it.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 19:09

As much as I love "No spare parts", I'd really wished they got together and recorded these songs again. They're missing som good bridges and that shows.
But all in all I think it'll be interesting to hear these unreleased songs.

Good old rock and roll stuff from the past is great!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2011 19:29

I hope Jagger goes out of his way to sound like he's 90-years old and nasal as hell, just to piss of some people around here.

Date: October 23, 2011 19:36

24FPS
I hope Jagger goes out of his way to sound like he's 90-years old and nasal as hell, just to piss of some people around here.

that's just wrong. we're a community...a family...and family members should not be so petty. my family notwithstanding....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 23, 2011 19:37

24FPS

...his voice is still powerfull, if he want

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 20:12

DragonSky
What guitars were overdubbed? All we know so far is that 'some' new vocals were put on 'some' of the songs. Because they were mostly finished to begin with.

Judging the whole thing based on one song is very Superheavy of one. Wait until more songs are out to judge it.

The acoustic guitar sounds like a 2011 addition, don't you think?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 23, 2011 21:10

I dont mind at all.

For one thing - had these songs been released in 78 on Some Girls - Mick would have overdubbed his parts on them anyway.

Now he does -what he would have done back then. So I think it's OK.
But they could have released them all as a "new album" but it seems obvious that they dont wanna tour behind a new record, so it's Ok.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 23, 2011 21:35

seitan
I dont mind at all.

For one thing - had these songs been released in 78 on Some Girls - Mick would have overdubbed his parts on them anyway.

Now he does -what he would have done back then. So I think it's OK.
But they could have released them all as a "new album" but it seems obvious that they dont wanna tour behind a new record, so it's Ok.

sad, but truesmiling smiley

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 23, 2011 21:37

I have no problem with them finishing old unfinished material, I'd rather that than have it sat in a vault unheard.

Personally, I don't care one bit how it was made, I only care if the song sounds good to me or not.

I thought they did a great job on no spare parts.
To me it sounded like there was new lead and background vocals, a new acoustic and a new electric guitar overdub.
I think the acoustic could have been a bit lower in the mix, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 23, 2011 22:07

vudicus
I only care if the song sounds good to me or not.

smileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 23, 2011 22:17

StonesTod
they should just leave them the fork alone. i don't mind guide vocals or no vocals. anything but modern jagger vocals to decades-old tracks. how old is james jagger now? maybe he sounds more like mick from the 70's than papa does...
maybe they shouldve had a contest, go thru every stones cover band until they find the one singer that sounds the most like vintage jagger and used him instead of old man vegas mick lol.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 23, 2011 23:16

Gazza

surprised that nobody has download these (Some Girls 2011 Disk 2) and reviewed them...

[www.torrent.cd]

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 24, 2011 00:04

big4
DragonSky

I thought that at first but the way it is right now it's difficult to tell. There was no mention of new guitar overdubs.

Date: October 24, 2011 00:06

sweet neo con
Gazza

surprised that nobody has download these (Some Girls 2011 Disk 2) and reviewed them...

[www.torrent.cd]

Probably because its never been seeded.

Which is equally probably because it appears to be bogus.

Have seen this 'torrent' on several sites and its the same story on all of them. No seeds, no peers.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 24, 2011 00:25

Gazza
sweet neo con
Gazza

[www.torrent.cd]

Probably because its never been seeded.

Which is equally probably because it appears to be bogus.

Have seen this 'torrent' on several sites and its the same story on all of them. No seeds, no peers.

oh...

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:53

seems to work, slowly.

Date: October 24, 2011 10:04

HalfNanker
Althopugh No Spare Parts sounds good, as with Exile, how can say they say these are Some Girls extras when vocals, guitars, etc were recorded in 2011??

Maybe its no different than when they released Tattoo You in '81 as a "new album." None of us minded that, but somehow this is different.

I'd like to hear the best versions of what was recorded in '77-'78, not a bunch of stuff they found in the vaults and cleaned up for release. I'll be interested to hear whath they did with Claudine--that was ready for release (on Emotional Rescue...but that's another thread, i guess). I hope Mick didnt change any offensive lyrics or overdub anything; just give is what we shoudk have gotten 30 years ago.

Is there a listing anywhere about the extra songs to tell us what was done to each one?

Which guitars are you talking about, Mick's acoustic? That track doesn't disturb me at all. The vocals, however, well - I'm fine with the NSP-vocals, but keep in mind that these are outtakes aka not finished. That goes especially for the vocals.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 24, 2011 11:35

Since I haven't heard them (expect one) I think they (expect one) are awesome, wonderful, mind-blowing, ground-breaking, sexy, funny...tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 24, 2011 12:15

DragonSky
big4
DragonSky

I thought that at first but the way it is right now it's difficult to tell. There was no mention of new guitar overdubs.

On No Spare Parts the acoustic and two electric guitar are overdubs. The first electric is a tremelo picked rhtyhm guitar, the second does these Mayfield riffs. Sounds like Ron Wood to me, but could be any session guy as well.

Mathijs

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:04

post the link (direct)..... no problem for me jajajajaa

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:19

Essentially we have 35 year old musicians with a 70 year old singer.
I liked the original vocal track.

Hopefully they didn't harm 'I Need You'.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 24, 2011 21:30

Munichhilton
Essentially we have 35 year old musicians with a 70 year old singer.
I liked the original vocal track.

Hopefully they didn't harm 'I Need You'.

I´ve read here somewhere something about a super-duper deluxe edition with some versions of "i need you" as an extra. has anyone some news about that?

Date: October 24, 2011 21:36

....uh, it was a joke....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home