Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: tracklist Some Girls reissue
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 14, 2011 23:17

Disc 2

1. Claudine
2. So Young
3. Do You Think I Really Care
4. When You’re Gone
5. No Spare Parts
6. Don’t Be A Stranger
7. We Had It All
8. Tallahassee Lassie
9. I Love You Too Much
10. Keep Up Blues
11. You Win Again
12. Petrol Blues[/b]

...and these?! sad smiley

"Not the way to go", "Some people tell me", "Lonely at the top", "Fiji jim", "The Way She Held Me Tight", "I need you", "It's all wrong", "Dancing Girls", "Some of us are on our knees"...

...i hope they'll realise these great outtakes on 'Tatoo you' deluxe version eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 14, 2011 23:30

So does this mean "I Need You" is on there?

Just popping in

Date: October 14, 2011 23:32

It doesn't appear to be, but keep checking back. StonesTod and Retired_Dog are trying their best to get it right.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:06

KRiffhard
Disc 2

1. Claudine
2. So Young
3. Do You Think I Really Care
4. When You’re Gone
5. No Spare Parts
6. Don’t Be A Stranger
7. We Had It All
8. Tallahassee Lassie
9. I Love You Too Much
10. Keep Up Blues
11. You Win Again
12. Petrol Blues[/b]

...and these?! sad smiley

"Not the way to go", "Some people tell me", "Lonely at the top", "Fiji jim", "The Way She Held Me Tight", "I need you", "It's all wrong", "Dancing Girls", "Some of us are on our knees"...

...i hope they'll realise these great outtakes on 'Tatoo you' deluxe version eye rolling smiley

I do think this will happen as well...Tattoo You was also a monster album for them, and chronologically the closest to present day and contains Start Me Up the last monster single...it would make sense to cobble together a Tattoo You for Two double album.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:15

The extra tracks are not on vinyl? That sucks thumbs down

Date: October 15, 2011 01:18

Lil' Brian
The extra tracks are not on vinyl? That sucks thumbs down

For the life of me I can't imagine who they have in charge of new product development. The new tracks on vinyl is a no-brainer...who the hell do they think their market is?!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:25

retired_dog
Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve - it's based on the ALO recording of a Jagger/Richards composition - The Last Time - both, recording and composition - are controlled by ABKCO.

Oh yeah - thanks for that!

Date: October 15, 2011 01:26

retired_dog
DragonSky
retired_dog
There is no "Virgin catalogue" - Virgin was just a distributor, just like Universal is a distributor now.

None of the Virgin albums say Rolling Stones Records on them.

Aaaaaah, come on, since 1971, the Stones control their recordings, if it's RSR or Promotone B.V. or whatever. EMI/CBS/Virgin and now Universal are limited-time only licensing deals for distribution purposes.

I'm just stating what is visible - the last Rolling Stones Records album was Flashpoint. Nothing has said Rolling Stones Records since then, which pretty much says it does not exist anymore.

Date: October 15, 2011 01:44

As big of a seller that Some Girls was, Tattoo You was their last huge album. They would be stupid to not do something with that since the album contains songs recorded as early as 1972. Although I've never read anything stating it, certainly there were other songs that may have been worked on that did not make the release.

Although why that would make sense seeing that they supposedly recorded Neighbours and Heaven after the last ER sessions could be a sign of there wasn't any more work done.

Let's hope not. More Tattoo You leftovers would be fantastic, especially if they got Clearmountain to mix the songs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:50

DragonSky
As big of a seller that Some Girls was, Tattoo You was their last huge album. They would be stupid to not do something with that since the album contains songs recorded as early as 1972. Although I've never read anything stating it, certainly there were other songs that may have been worked on that did not make the release.

Although why that would make sense seeing that they supposedly recorded Neighbours and Heaven after the last ER sessions could be a sign of there wasn't any more work done.

Let's hope not. More Tattoo You leftovers would be fantastic, especially if they got Clearmountain to mix the songs.

There were very, very few. Like Exile, as the vocal overdubs were mostly done very late in the day and taken from several sessions over a period of years, there would be no reason for them to have done more songs than what were needed when they had a deadline with a tour coming up.

'Lets do it right' and 'Munich Reggae' seem to be two that were worked on, but I doubt there were many more.

Date: October 15, 2011 01:54

Gazza
DragonSky

There were very, very few. Like Exile, as the vocal overdubs were mostly done very late in the day and taken from several sessions over a period of years, there would be no reason for them to have done more songs than what were needed when they had a deadline with a tour coming up.

'Lets do it right' and 'Munich Reggae' seem to be two that were worked on, but I doubt there were many more.

I'm onboard with the logic for a Tattoo You II release...it would be a fairly easy sell product-wise, everyone remembers SMU, and you could with full confidence go back all the way to '73 to pick up old tracks to remix, rerecord whatever, just like the original Tattoo You was put together. There has to be 10 songs that they could put together for a deluxe edition.

"SAVE ME"...that NEEDS to be a single!

Date: October 15, 2011 01:57

treaclefingers
Gazza
DragonSky

I'm onboard with the logic for a Tattoo You II release...it would be a fairly easy sell product-wise, everyone remembers SMU, and you could with full confidence go back all the way to '73 to pick up old tracks to remix, rerecord whatever, just like the original Tattoo You was put together. There has to be 10 songs that they could put together for a deluxe edition.

"SAVE ME"...that NEEDS to be a single!

In a way it makes the most sense as far as how Mick has been working on the recordings. Tattoo You makes the most sense: their last huge album, a huge single, great songs and their last excellent LP cover to boot.

I get what you're saying Gazza and I pretty much figured as much - but one never knows right? It's just one of those - let's call it a less than hopefulness similar but way less than expectation wise of the Taylorites...

Date: October 15, 2011 11:23

WilliamPatrickMaynard
It doesn't appear to be, but keep checking back. StonesTod and Retired_Dog are trying their best to get it right.

thumbs up I hope they succeed!

With songs like "I need you", "Misty Roads" ,"Not the way to go" and "Some people tell me" this reissue would be fantastic!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 15, 2011 14:41

treaclefingers

Yeah, valid reasoning here. It would be even formally alright to use any vaults stuff to TATTOO YOU Deluxe version from 1973 to 1981, even though, from the base we have now, I don't think Jagger would so much care of that kind of historical correctness...

Anyway, I am afraid that if TATTOO YOU will have a deluxe treatment, they will not advert too much of its original nature but treat it more like as any 'normal' album. A typical place to rewrite history again a bit (and not shouting out aloud the fact that their last ultimately big and classical album was based already on the vault gems...)tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2011 14:53

A Tattoo release seems rip for the picking and right up Mr. Jagger's ally. He was the man inspired behind this album. ANd has said many times its one of his favorites. A nice deluxe treatment with DVD, live disc, and a disc of unreleased stuff...even tampered with, like Tattoo, would be wonderful.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 15, 2011 15:22

Tattoo you would be great. Would love to see bill, Charlie, and Ron get
the same tattoo illustration as Mick and Keith.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2011 15:36

Daft concept. Putting 1981 vocal overdubs on outtakes from 1972-81 is one thing. Putting 2011 overdubs on another collection of songs from the same era and trying to pass it off as being 'true' to the concept of the 'original' 1981 album is utter barrel-scraping. Its a 'Dr Frankenstein' method of making a record.

I dont think their vaults are so bereft of material that they have to do something like that to release something. Some people must be really desperate.

Just put together an 'Anthology' type series of unreleased songs and alternate takes like The Beatles, Dylan, Springsteen and others have done, leaving the original recordings as they are as much as possible. Its not that difficult, really. If they dont have a lot of unreleased finished songs, then I'm quite OK with hearing interesting alternate takes of 'Brown Sugar', 'Sympathy' and others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-15 15:37 by Gazza.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2011 15:56

Good point Gazza. I agree. A exhaustive anthology project would be fantastic. And I don't mind the tinkering. Some cool results, so maybe the deluxe versions could be that vision and then a historical Black Box resurrection would be great. Along with a DVD. But alas, there is no one working on this project, and the boys don't seem united enough to collaborate on a truly amazing history.

Date: October 15, 2011 16:42

"I Need You"

as a single B-side

a dub remix thingy

a CD extra

just popping in

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 15, 2011 16:46

actually, they are issuing a super bonus deluxe disc devoted entirely to i need you. 10 different versions. and a bonus dvd where mick explains the evolution of the song through a smoke-filled haze.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 15, 2011 16:56

DragonSky
retired_dog
Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve - it's based on the ALO recording of a Jagger/Richards composition - The Last Time - both, recording and composition - are controlled by ABKCO.

Oh yeah - thanks for that!

Not quite correct. Decca/Universal own the copyright in the Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of "The Last Time" and it was to Decca/Universal that The Verve sought, and were given, permission to use the sample for "Bittersweet Symphony". It wasn't until the record was a hit that ABKCO stepped in and claimed a slice of the publishing royalties which they own.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 15, 2011 18:48

StonesTod
actually, they are issuing a super bonus deluxe disc devoted entirely to i need you. 10 different versions. and a bonus dvd where mick explains the evolution of the song through a smoke-filled haze.

Hi StonesTod,
i do not much agree with the choice of the songs.
"So Young" has already been published. IMHO instead of "Tallahassee Lassie" and "You win again" had to be chosen "I Need You" and "Misty Roads"...and what a shame for 'Not the way to go', 'Some people tell me' and "Dancing girls" sad smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 15, 2011 18:53

This is my first post on this site, so nice to meet you all.

What are you complaining ? We're essentially given a new album worth of songs - give or take So Young - I think it´s great. Every artist has the right to "rewrite" their own history - it's their work in the first music anyway..I've been collecting rare Iggy pop bootlegs for years and most of the unreleased songs are great and I wish Iggy would finnish them - and re-do them all.

And I think Don Was is a great choice for a producer - I know he had nothing to do with Some Girls - but on the other hand Chris Kimsey produced the worst ever Stones record - "Flashpoint" and I wasnt so happy with "Undercover" either..So maybe it's good to give the tracks to someone else, with "new ears" to the songs. I think Don's work has been really good from the start - "Voodoo Lounge", "Stripped," and "Bigger Bang" sounds more like the real Stones to me, than say "Undercover"

I know everyone has heard "everything is turning to gold" from the same sessions and it´s the only one I'm missing. It should be there - it's part of the sessions. think it´s great that Stones are releasing old stuff.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 15, 2011 18:57

Seitan - Welcome aboard and well said. I like the track list!

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 15, 2011 18:58

seitan

What are you complaining ? We're essentially given a new album worth of songs - give or take So Young - I think it´s great. Every artist has the right to "rewrite" their own history - it's their work in the first music anyway..I've been collecting rare Iggy pop bootlegs for years and most of the unreleased songs are great and I wish Iggy would finnish them - and re-do them all.

And I think Don Was is a great choice for a producer - I know he had nothing to do with Some Girls - but on the other hand Chris Kimsey produced the worst ever Stones record - "Flashpoint" and I wasnt so happy with "Undercover" either..So maybe it's good to give the tracks to someone else, with "new ears" to the songs. I think Don's work has been really good from the start - "Voodoo Lounge", "Stripped," and "Bigger Bang" sounds more like the real Stones to me, than say "Undercover"

I know everyone has heard "everything is turning to gold" from the same sessions and it´s the only one I'm missing. It should be there - it's part of the sessions. think it´s great that Stones are releasing old stuff.

welcome! nice post!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 15, 2011 19:09

keefbajaga
seitan

welcome! nice post!

+1thumbs up

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 15, 2011 19:12

StonesTod

Tod, that sounds great - i wonder why everybody is discussing the possibility of a tattoo you - deluxe?!?! Did I miss your "more words" concerning 1971, 1973 and mocambo? Can you give more details or is this just to indefinite? Have a nice evening/day/whatever!

Date: October 15, 2011 19:22

Gazza
Daft concept. Putting 1981 vocal overdubs on outtakes from 1972-81 is one thing. Putting 2011 overdubs on another collection of songs from the same era and trying to pass it off as being 'true' to the concept of the 'original' 1981 album is utter barrel-scraping. Its a 'Dr Frankenstein' method of making a record.

I dont think their vaults are so bereft of material that they have to do something like that to release something. Some people must be really desperate.

Just put together an 'Anthology' type series of unreleased songs and alternate takes like The Beatles, Dylan, Springsteen and others have done, leaving the original recordings as they are as much as possible. Its not that difficult, really. If they dont have a lot of unreleased finished songs, then I'm quite OK with hearing interesting alternate takes of 'Brown Sugar', 'Sympathy' and others.

George Lucas didn't mind fixing some things way way after the original release. In his mind they weren't completely finished. What's even funnier is a lot of people didn't notice a lot of the changes. Of course, his voice being different all those years later didn't influence anything ha ha.

Mick recording new vocals now for something like that has already happened. And even that wasn't exactly correct in regards to 'when Exile started', just an excuse to release a double album as they have somewhat admitted. So since it's already happened, well, certainly Mick wouldn't have a problem adding vocals to whatever songs were chosen for and decidedly not finished for Tattoo You, if there were more brought out than what was released. Although, yes, a strange way to make TY a 'double album' in that historical aspect, at least it wouldn't be inaccurate!

A Beatles type set of anthologies is a great idea. It's one of the biggest things the Stones haven't supposedly imitated of the Beatles. What a shame. Mick and his 'we're still a creative band' or whatever that tripe was he said about the new tracks for Forty Licks...such a waste.

Date: October 15, 2011 19:32

StonesTod

Can I be alone with it for maybe 10 minutes just before release.
Even just 5 minutes?

This is fantastic
I do appreciate your reliable 'leaks' from the usually tight Stones Camp
You are a real asset to this and any community sir.

Let me know about the time alone thing.

Date: October 15, 2011 19:38

muenke
StonesTod

Tod, that sounds great - i wonder why everybody is discussing the possibility of a tattoo you - deluxe?!?! Did I miss your "more words" concerning 1971, 1973 and mocambo? Can you give more details or is this just to indefinite? Have a nice evening/day/whatever!

...just because it seems that good outtakes like "Misty Roads", "Some people tell me", "Dancing Girls","Not the way to go", "It's all wrong", "Lonely at the Top (has already published just as "So Young") and others will not be part of SG reissue.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home