Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT - 2011-2012 NHL Hockey
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 11, 2012 05:11

Stoneage
To the disdain for us Europeans, and Russia, since the NHL drains us of our young talents. But don't worry, most Swedes are very much pro NHL even though it's quite impossible to follow the NHL-Swedes overthere due to time difference.

European players want money just as much as North American players. Only one difference, European players have a reputation for loafing thru the season. Many, not all, will not put out full effort for 82 games.

Date: January 24, 2012 19:00

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas skips the team White House visit with the President:

WASHINGTON -- Before most hockey games, it's tough to find many players who stand completely still during the national anthem. Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas never moves. He stands as still as the Statue of Liberty, with his focus directly on the American flag that hangs from the rafters in every NHL arena. There's no denying Thomas' patriotism. He represented Team USA as an Olympian and has called it one of his most memorable moments of his career.

But when the president of the United States invites you and all your teammates to the White House to honor your Stanley Cup championship, you go and represent the team. On Monday, Thomas instead chose to represent himself.

The reigning Vezina and Conn Smythe winner skipped the White House ceremony, deciding to use a special moment for the organization, the team and its fans to voice his displeasure with the U.S. government. Thomas posted a message on his Facebook page on Monday night explaining his decision.

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People," the message read. "This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

"Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

"This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

Joe McDonald covers the Bruins for ESPNBoston.com.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:04

Tim Thomas MVP!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:09

A Teaparty man, obviously. He plays for Boston! What are the disciplinary measures implied in this situation?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:25

Totally classless move. You don't use that occasion to make a political statement.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:32

I may not be a big supporter of whose in the White House, but if my "Team" is invited to go, I go. It's still an honor. I don't feel this is the place to inject politics.

Date: January 24, 2012 19:43

sweetcharmedlife
Totally classless move. You don't use that occasion to make a political statement.
What if it were the 60s and Thomas chose not to go in protest of Nixon and his policies and the state of the country that it was in? Would you still think he was classless or would you think he was a hero?

Date: January 24, 2012 20:10

GumbootCloggeroo
sweetcharmedlife
What if it were the 60s and Thomas chose not to go in protest of Nixon and his policies and the state of the country that it was in? Would you still think he was classless or would you think he was a hero?
Great question. One little problem.This ain't the 60's. Show up,be part of a team celebration of a champioship season.Be honored to be invited to the White House and make your political statement in the voting booth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-25 19:48 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:14

Only American on the team. Wonder what the response would be if a Canadian or European player had refused to attend for political reasons.

Date: January 24, 2012 20:22

You're right, this ain't the sixties. But the times are still tough. I say kudos to Thomas for standing up for what he believes in and having balls and exercising his freedom of speech while he still has it.

Date: January 24, 2012 20:26

andrewm
Only American on the team. Wonder what the response would be if a Canadian or European player had refused to attend for political reasons.

Exactly. It is an embarrassment to any American players, City of Boston, The Boston Bruins and especially the Olympians to have this clown pull that stunt.

Date: January 24, 2012 20:31

Is it embarrassing because Thomas speaks the truth and you don't want your image of a perfect America that has no problems to be shattered and exposed?

Date: January 24, 2012 20:33

GumbootCloggeroo
Is it embarrassing because Thomas speaks the truth and you don't want your image of a perfect America that has no problems to be shattered and exposed?
America is going to have problems whether or not Tim Thomas goes to the White House.Again,that wasn't the time and place for it.

Date: January 24, 2012 20:54

I can't figure out his reason. He's against politics? If he at least had the balls to take a side. My guess is that he is some kind of Teaparty supporter.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:04

sweetcharmedlife

I agree.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:12

Never thought I'd see the day were Tyler Myers is the best player on the team. How sad.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:21

Go Tim Go! This was the PERFECT time for him to make this statement. Sacrificing what may end up being a once in a lifetime opportunity to make his feelings known. He could have ranted and raged for the rest of his life about what he views as problems in Washington/politics in general and not gotten as much coverage as he did with this one simple act.

I find it interesting that in one thread we have people complaining about the political elite stepping in on "internet freedom" yet here in this thread we have people criticizing a citizen for not being a "lap dog" and coming when called. Apparently we do have a good cross section of people here, some want freedom on all fronts & at all cost while others support conformity and suppression of the individual. I imagine that there are many people in the middle of those extremes as well. Let's hope that we can all agree to keep this thread from getting political so bv won't have any extra work/headaches to deal with.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 24, 2012 21:31

mr_dja
Go Tim Go! This was the PERFECT time for him to make this statement. Sacrificing what may end up being a once in a lifetime opportunity to make his feelings known. He could have ranted and raged for the rest of his life about what he views as problems in Washington/politics in general and not gotten as much coverage as he did with this one simple act.

I find it interesting that in one thread we have people complaining about the political elite stepping in on "internet freedom" yet here in this thread we have people criticizing a citizen for not being a "lap dog" and coming when called. Apparently we do have a good cross section of people here, some want freedom on all fronts & at all cost while others support conformity and suppression of the individual. I imagine that there are many people in the middle of those extremes as well. Let's hope that we can all agree to keep this thread from getting political so bv won't have any extra work/headaches to deal with.

Peace,
Mr DJA
Well said! Though it's rather ironic that we're talking about a man's right to their freedom of speech and opinion yet we can't discuss it TOO much or else the ball gag on this site will be shoved in our mouths. Regardless, I didn't know Thomas was a Tea Party guy. That's a turn off. But still, as Evelyn Beatrice Hall once said, I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Date: January 24, 2012 21:41

If he could be a little more precise about his reasons I could begin to contemplate whether to agree or not. As it is now it all sounds a bit vague to me.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:45

I think he should have attended but I don't feel insulted, or embarrassed as an American. I don't think less of him, but think that he'll get booed soundly if he starts in goal tonight in Washington and a mixed reaction of boos & cheers when the Bruins play again at home next Tuesday.

What will affect my opinion of him is if he starts backpedaling on his position, especially if fans and those companies from which he earns his endorsement dollars start exercising their rights by booing (in the case of hockey fans) and canceling endorsement deals (in the case of advertisers). That would just prove him to be a fraud and I'd rather not think of him like that.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:45

good for tim thomas!

Date: January 24, 2012 22:04

so....who do you think will win the cup this year?

Date: January 24, 2012 22:09

GumbootCloggeroo
The San Jose Sharks.

Date: January 25, 2012 04:01

The Finals will be Detroit Red Wings vs. Boston Bruins. The winner is......

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 25, 2012 18:04

sweetcharmedlife
GumbootCloggeroo
sweetcharmedlife
Great question. One little probalem.This ain't the 60's. Show up,be part of a team celebration of a champioship season.Be honored to be invited to the White House and make your political statement in the voting booth.

I agree, whether you respect the president or not, at least respect the office of the presidency and your team. There's better ways to display your oppositions...

Date: January 25, 2012 18:06

They promptly benched him for the last game.

Date: March 2, 2012 08:02

Sabres shutout the Sharks 1 - 0!!! In San Jose. That is back to back shutouts for Ryan Miller who shutout Anaheim 2 - 0 last night.

Nice feeling to give the Sharks their annual beatdown.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 2, 2012 08:48

Blues this season?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:15

Come On
Blues this season?

If we can get Steen, Dagostini, and Langenbrunner back, I think we have a real shot at it!

Date: March 2, 2012 17:22

sweetcharmedlife
GumbootCloggeroo
The San Jose Sharks.

Funniest post of the year.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home