Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Infamy
Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:17

it's a slight number but with an offhand "thrown together" charm, UTR would've been a better choice for closer but Keith needs his 2 LV songs and so UTR became an outtake and "Infamy" an album track.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:24

"meandering dirge"

I didn't know Stones fans were groove-deaf... confused smiley
Infamy's Charlie's best work in ages!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:59

I am definitely in the minority, but I love it. Have since first listen. It closes the album much in the way 'Shattered' did on Some Girls, IMO - this groove as a song kind of thing. It's not a great song per se, but I have always just loved the vibe of it, and those little elements: Keith's funky guitar riff, Mick's harp blowing, the eerie organ intro, Charlie's simple but effective 2-hit snap in the break.

I think it was a perfect closer for what may have been their last album.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:07

dcba
"meandering dirge"

I didn't know Stones fans were groove-deaf... confused smiley
Infamy's Charlie's best work in ages!

Are you jiving me! That's not a groove - that's a computer game outtake.

This is a groove...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:12

24FPS
Obviously Mick and Keith no longer hold veto power over each other, or care to, on what songs get on an album.

And Blinded By Love has brilliant lyrics and top notch instrumentation. Infamy does not.

I always felt the lyrics were out of sorts relative to what I'd been used from Mick, just something about them that jarred.......then I found out courtesy of Greenlady what........ [www.iorr.org] ...........they are a rip off of Shakespeare.........maybe that works for you but for me even before I was told about the Antony & Cleopatra connection there was always something not quite right there, they just don't sit right.........not to mention taking the flat history lessons of Dirty work & Primitive cool just a bit too far.........(for my liking anyway)...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 21:14 by EddieByword.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:15

As an album closing song it's fine. It does almost nothing except go around and around. It's a hilarious song. Lyrically it seems as if Keith had started writing LIFE with that song. That live version is a total atrocity.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:28

Horrible song thumbs down

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:31

DragonSky
That live version is a total atrocity.

Quite. I couldn't get through that YouTube clip. Even hearing it back in 05, I knew the song didn't match what was done in the studio. Hard to believe they stretched it to 6 minutes on stage....

Date: September 19, 2011 21:40

Justin
DragonSky
That live version is a total atrocity.

Quite. I couldn't get through that YouTube clip. Even hearing it back in 05, I knew the song didn't match what was done in the studio. Hard to believe they stretched it to 6 minutes on stage....

Did Keith play This Place Is Empty as well that show? That is amazing that he even considered that song worth playing live.

Date: September 19, 2011 21:46

It looks like Keith did "The Worst" and "Infamy" that night. Pretty nice rendition of "The Worst"...

Date: September 19, 2011 21:52

Why can't Keith just sing the song? Why does he have to make those dramatic talk speak serious words instead of just singing them? AUGH!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 19, 2011 23:46

the song could be better if MT had a go at it. Ron Wood sucks! I see that a studio handling of this song might be ok but this live version is really bad. The sound is awful, keiths vocal is not done right, but mostly RW doesn't have a clue how to carry this blues number. I can almost hear where KR wanted to take it, but he couldn't do it alone. The vocal EQ and such is terrible. Next.
peace.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 19, 2011 23:50

It's nowhere near Keith's songs from B2B which nowadays seem like a late career creative peak, but it's still a nice little blues nubmer and one of the better songs on ABB. Mick's harmonica work is great. Infamy should not have been the album closer, though. That honour would have been deserved by "We Don't Wanna Go Home".

Date: September 20, 2011 00:10

Naturalust
the song could be better if MT had a go at it. Ron Wood sucks!

?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:31

Justin
Naturalust
the song could be better if MT had a go at it. Ron Wood sucks!

?

Well he sucks in this particular live version of this particular song. And most every other time I've heard him play with the stones with 3 exceptions :\
1,. pedal steel on FarAway eyes
2. Beast of Burden studio guitar work.
3. Something New guitar riff from the Some Girls era

peace.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: September 20, 2011 08:06

Dont know what to say of Infamy, well i think i need more time for the song. Sometimes some Stones songs kick in many years later. About why Keith "speaks" in The Worst it´s obvius to me, it suits what he´s saying and also the chorus gets more punchy. Stop this fu##ing Mick Taylor talk. He is not in the band.
He can play like many others and many others like him but there is just one Ron Wood.

Warning contains spoiler!

Compare Ronnie latest solo record with some of Mick Taylors work. Taylor has never written very good song that i know of.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 08:42

I like it very much. When I first heard it I thought, "This has that extra `charisma' that separates the Stones from everyone else." I recently uploaded it onto my new iPod, so I know I like it if I did that.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 20, 2011 09:37

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
For me ...the 3rd from worst Stones song ever...........including covers........

Just out of curiousity, what are the two others? winking smiley

4th worst = Blinded by love
3rd = Infamy
2nd = New Faces
1st worst Stones song of all time =.................ta - ra.......Sweet hearts togethor............

ALL others I positively like (including all solo stuff & what I've heard of Superheavy) and most of them a lot................................

This Place Is Empty, anyone...?

Date: September 20, 2011 09:46

with sssoul
quirky, baby, quirky! i'll take it - especially the concert renditions

please note how the lyrics do that very Keithly thing of emerging from the beat
just as natural as a tree coming into leaf (unlike ... er ... never mind! :E)

plus which i believe it's the only Keith-LV number to date that the Mick plays harp on

And slide winking smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 09:47

Naturalust
the song could be better if MT had a go at it. Ron Wood sucks! I see that a studio handling of this song might be ok but this live version is really bad. The sound is awful, keiths vocal is not done right, but mostly RW doesn't have a clue how to carry this blues number. I can almost hear where KR wanted to take it, but he couldn't do it alone. The vocal EQ and such is terrible. Next.
peace.

In fairness, he's not even on the song. Mick Jagger plays the slide and harp confused smiley

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 20, 2011 12:28

One of the worst tracks the Stones have ever done

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 20, 2011 13:10

Poor. Usually like Keith's stuff but this is a very weak offering from the riffmeister.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 13:25

Well I would not say Keith's stuff is usually poor! This one yes, I agree, but this is from the man that has some incredible stuff. Before They Make Me Run, Happy, Coming Down Again, All About You, You Got the Silver, Thief in the Night, The Worst.... but yes, Infamy seems like a tired retread, and his stock lyric of choice is way over used 'Baby!"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 20, 2011 14:17

theimposter
I am definitely in the minority, but I love it. Have since first listen. It closes the album much in the way 'Shattered' did on Some Girls, IMO - this groove as a song kind of thing. It's not a great song per se, but I have always just loved the vibe of it, and those little elements: Keith's funky guitar riff, Mick's harp blowing, the eerie organ intro, Charlie's simple but effective 2-hit snap in the break.

In 1989 one of the biggest mistakes ever was thinking it would be a good thing if Keith would change his public image and persona to "ol good hearted Keef". Slipping away is one thing, it was kinda cool at the time and could have been a modern day Comin down again. But of course it isnt. not by a mile.
Cant be seen is a rocker that would have worked fine had it been recorded at Pathe in 1977. Maybe.
After that we had The Worst (not counting the shite Keith released shortly before Mick's jukebox Wandering Spirit) which is not a real song but a self parody and still aalmost ok since I believe Keith in that last verse. Thru n thru? Sounds more like a Lou Reed throwaway. Too depressing.

Thief in the night is the best Keith solo song since Take it so hard and the best Stones song in ages. It has a cool groove, riff, his voice is perfect, the lyrics are about him, not "good ol hearted Keef". The latter took over in the country ballads which I hate and many on iorr love. Infamy was the first Keith rocker that I like and one of their best songs in ages. And that is sad because it's not really that great. So, I prefer Keith Richards being himself in Thief and Infamy. Infamy is the only song on ABB I ever listen to.

Date: September 20, 2011 14:29

Redhotcarpet
theimposter

In 1989 one of the biggest mistakes ever was thinking it would be a good thing if Keith would change his public image and persona to "ol good hearted Keef". Slipping away is one thing, it was kinda cool at the time and could have been a modern day Comin down again. But of course it isnt. not by a mile.
Cant be seen is a rocker that would have worked fine had it been recorded at Pathe in 1977. Maybe.
After that we had The Worst (not counting the shite Keith released shortly before Mick's jukebox Wandering Spirit) which is not a real song but a self parody and still aalmost ok since I believe Keith in that last verse. Thru n thru? Sounds more like a Lou Reed throwaway. Too depressing.

Thief in the night is the best Keith solo song since Take it so hard and the best Stones song in ages. It has a cool groove, riff, his voice is perfect, the lyrics are about him, not "good ol hearted Keef". The latter took over in the country ballads which I hate and many on iorr love. Infamy was the first Keith rocker that I like and one of their best songs in ages. And that is sad because it's not really that great. So, I prefer Keith Richards being himself in Thief and Infamy. Infamy is the only song on ABB I ever listen to.

What do you mean?? Hate it When You Leave? Wicked As It Seems? Eileen? Demon?

Shite?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 14:58

Infamy... "The worst"... song ever made.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 20, 2011 15:09

The song would have been much stronger if Keith had put a little more work in it, instead of leaving it with this lazy, generic, empty bridge. Anyone noice the song has exactly the same rff as It Wont take Long?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 20, 2011 15:55

DandelionPowderman

What do you mean?? Hate it When You Leave? Wicked As It Seems? Eileen? Demon?

Shite?

Yes! smoking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 20, 2011 20:51

Great tune, loved it from the first listen, and still do! Both Keith tracks on this album are great, imo.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:17

The biggest piece of shit ever to appear on any record. Can't believe KR sank that low.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home