Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones Have Become a Pay Per View Reality Show
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: September 29, 2016 20:52

The Stones have become a pay per view reality show...It is like every move they make is available on Blu-Ray...DVD...Mobile Viewing....Biggest Bang...Shine a Light...Sweet Summer Sun...Stripped...Totaly Stripped....Ole Ole...Havana Moon...Old shows and documentaries are great...But this last batch of repetitive nonsense is a joke... They are still great live...I still catch them when I can.
I understand that not everyone is able or can afford to see them live...but to me it is overkill. Do you feel the same way or are you sucked into the Commercial Hype ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-29 22:07 by 2120Wolf.

Re: The Stones Have Become a Pay Per View Reality Show
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 29, 2016 21:24

I would say the shows 2012-2016 had more of a ''circus act'' vibe than ever before. When I saw them in 2007 it still felt exciting and the energy in their playing was still there. Then in 2014 it wasn't the same, still great, but very predictable, and the whole band seemed to run on autopilot.

I think getting rid of the backing singers and the horn section, and just keep Chuck would make it more fun again. The band would be left out there on stage on their own and Keith and Ronnie would need to stop goofing around and start focusing again, maybe then the energy would come back.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 29, 2016 21:39

It seems to me a big problem is the unfortunate way Keith deteriorated between the Bigger Bang Tour and 50 And Counting. On ABB, Jumping Jack Flash still had that old aggression. When I heard it in 2013 it seemed like the air had been let out of it. Just one example. Plus, while Keith can still play rhythm, his lead work has lost it's air of confidence and authority. We're entering an age where - if the Stones continue to tour, you're going more to see living legends than to hear a vital and exciting rock and roll band.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 29, 2016 21:58

TheBlockbuster
I would say the shows 2012-2016 had more of a ''circus act'' vibe than ever before. When I saw them in 2007 it still felt exciting and the energy in their playing was still there. Then in 2014 it wasn't the same, still great, but very predictable, and the whole band seemed to run on autopilot.

I think getting rid of the backing singers and the horn section, and just keep Chuck would make it more fun again. The band would be left out there on stage on their own and Keith and Ronnie would need to stop goofing around and start focusing again, maybe then the energy would come back.

I am not talking about the shows...I am talking about every move they make being available on Blu-Ray...DVD...Mobile Viewing.

Date: September 29, 2016 21:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
It seems to me a big problem is the unfortunate way Keith deteriorated between the Bigger Bang Tour and 50 And Counting. On ABB, Jumping Jack Flash still had that old aggression. When I heard it in 2013 it seemed like the air had been let out of it. Just one example. Plus, while Keith can still play rhythm, his lead work has lost it's air of confidence and authority. We're entering an age where - if the Stones continue to tour, you're going more to see living legends than to hear a vital and exciting rock and roll band.

I am not talking about the shows...I am talking about every move they make being available on Blu-Ray...DVD...Mobile Viewing.

Date: September 29, 2016 22:02

2120Wolf
HonkeyTonkFlash

Right, I'm just saying that it's a shame that now that the band is well past their prime - this is when they're choosing to film and release every move they make. Now if they had done similar back when every show was different than the one before it...now, that would be something.

Date: September 29, 2016 22:11

2120Wolf
TheBlockbuster

I thought only SSS and HM were/will be released? Or are you saying the archive/Vault DVDs are too much?

Those latter-day shows are historical. That's why they are releasing them.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:27

A lot of this is just that the technology is now available -- don't many bands now record and distribute their concerts.
I actually like it. I'd love to see and hear their rehearsals, or see Mick and Keith backstage (edited versions, of course) or pay $19.95 to see their shows on TV.
Some young, charismatic band might come along and sell themselves that way.
Can you imagine the young Stones or Beatles with today's everyday media? Talk about a reality show? I mean, the Beatles were a reality show in a lot of ways, but imagine John Lennon tweeting every day and snap chatting every day.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:31

HonkeyTonkFlash

Agreed, while Keith probably could practice more guitar I just don't think his fingers are cooperating with him they way he wants them to. Old age and arthritis I guess.

I still think a stripped down version of the band with just the main four + Chuck would make the music more vital again.

Here's an example from 2005 (sounds fantastic imo): video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-29 22:32 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:41

2120Wolf
The Stones have become a pay per view reality show...It is like every move they make is available on Blu-Ray...DVD...Mobile Viewing....Biggest Bang...Shine a Light...Sweet Summer Sun...Stripped...Totaly Stripped....Ole Ole...Havana Moon...Old shows and documentaries are great...But this last batch of repetitive nonsense is a joke...
to me it is overkill.

To me this flood of 2012-16 era releases is to balance the opening of the vaults.

Mick is very wary of critics saying "see they are a dead band, they have nothing to offer when their "current" 2012-16 stream of shows. They keep the band alive by releasing ancient live tapes".
Mick wants to prove that with thee "current"stream of shows they still have sth to offer and they sell us DVD to prove it.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:45

I still think a stripped down version of the band with just the main four + Chuck would make the music more vital again.

Here's an example from 2005 (sounds fantastic imo): video: [www.youtube.com][/quote]

Would love to see just the basic band, in a small club -- surely they could sell TV rights that would be bigger than a stadium tour?
They could do a series of shows -- play the blues album one night, then do their regular show other nights. Maybe they are worried they would make mistakes, but Stones fans don't mind the mistakes because there are so many incredible moments, too.

Date: September 29, 2016 23:51

<I still think a stripped down version of the band with just the main four + Chuck would make the music more vital again.>

It's a tantalizing idea but I have to wonder if Keith and Ronnie are still capable of playing consistently without the horns propping them up?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2016 23:53

ROCKMAN

Date: September 29, 2016 23:57

HonkeyTonkFlash
<I still think a stripped down version of the band with just the main four + Chuck would make the music more vital again.>

It's a tantalizing idea but I have to wonder if Keith and Ronnie are still capable of playing consistently without the horns propping them up?

They have proved they can on the first third of every show for quite some time smiling smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 30, 2016 00:01

put me down for sucked into the Commercial Hype.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 30, 2016 00:16

Yes, you can't keep track of all the releases these days. I would have been more up for it in the 80s and 90s, when they didn't relase much, though. By now it feels a bit to late.
And their current live material has become stale and boring.

Date: September 30, 2016 01:12

Rockman

You are still the best RockMan !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 01:16 by 2120Wolf.

Date: September 30, 2016 01:14

DandelionPowderman
2120Wolf
TheBlockbuster

I thought only SSS and HM were/will be released? Or are you saying the archive/Vault DVDs are too much?

Those latter-day shows are historical. That's why they are releasing them.

Old shows and documentaries are great...But this last batch of repetitive nonsense is a joke...

Date: September 30, 2016 01:15

Stoneage
Yes, you can't keep track of all the releases these days. I would have been more up for it in the 80s and 90s, when they didn't relase much, though. By now it feels a bit to late.
And their current live material has become stale and boring.

Yes...Agree 100%

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 30, 2016 01:26

2120Wolf
The Stones have become a pay per view reality show...It is like every move they make is available on Blu-Ray...DVD...Mobile Viewing....Biggest Bang...Shine a Light...Sweet Summer Sun...Stripped...Totaly Stripped....Ole Ole...Havana Moon...Old shows and documentaries are great...But this last batch of repetitive nonsense is a joke... They are still great live...I still catch them when I can.
I understand that not everyone is able or can afford to see them live...but to me it is overkill. Do you feel the same way or are you sucked into the Commercial Hype ???

Different times - different marketing. In essence, it's not different from what it has always been. It's product but on different terms, because creating promotion for yourself are different nowadays.

Sorry, but the band has learned to play the game many years ago.
It's actually you who has a hard time following the development.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2016 01:35

2120Wolf
Do you feel the same way or are you sucked into the Commercial Hype ???

This is what is called a loaded question. winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2016 01:40

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie...for gods sake GIMMIE a new album before I tie myself to the top of a bull-ant nest ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 30, 2016 03:28

Rockman
Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie...for gods sake GIMMIE a new album before I tie myself to the top of a bull-ant nest ...

Yes...Save a spot for me...

Date: September 30, 2016 03:32

Blueranger
2120Wolf

Different times - different marketing. In essence, it's not different from what it has always been. It's product but on different terms, because creating promotion for yourself are different nowadays.

Not at all BlueRanger...it is you who got sucked in, it is overload...overkill.
This stuff will be kool to check out 20 years from now...It would be like releasing Satisfaction 30 different ways in 65'...You may want to lift the wool from over your eyes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 03:33 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 30, 2016 04:00

I'm in my mid 50's - I was raised right by my parents and schooled on the Stones from a very early age. I've snapped up every new release (starting with Goats Head Soup) almost on the day it was released and eagerly await the next release. I think this Havana release could be the very first time I skip buying. It's pretty much the same old boring set list and too darn similar to the Hyde Park show. If they wanted to put out another DVD, I would have gladly snapped up a club gig with Blues covers, a new unplugged show, a special concert of just their 60's tracks, the Fonda show with the complete Sticky Fingers, Part 2 of Crossfire Hurricane - pretty much anything would be better than this...

They don't have many years left of playing live- it's time to record some very special shows for people on this forum - to hell with people that need another 2015-ish version of Jumping Jack Flash LOL

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 30, 2016 04:03

Put me down for yawning. I haven't bought any of the new stuff since Shine A Light.
T@3

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 30, 2016 10:00

TheBlockbuster
...I think getting rid of the backing singers and the horn section, and just keep Chuck would make it more fun again. The band would be left out there on stage on their own and Keith and Ronnie would need to stop goofing around and start focusing again, maybe then the energy would come back.

I'm not sure those two clown princes would be too keen on the responsibility at this stage in the proceedings...or that Mick would be too keen on them having it either.

That said, there are still enough flashes of magic from Keith & Ronnie to keep me fairly happy smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 10:02 by Spud.

Date: September 30, 2016 10:17

2120Wolf
Blueranger
2120Wolf

Not at all BlueRanger...it is you who got sucked in, it is overload...overkill.
This stuff will be kool to check out 20 years from now...It would be like releasing Satisfaction 30 different ways in 65'...You may want to lift the wool from over your eyes...

To me, it sounds like you're mixing up the two «newer» (Three and a half years will have passed when Havana Moon follows Sweet Summer Sun) with the Vault releases. There are not «lots of Satisfactions» coming out in a short span of time. On earlier releases (TBB and FF) the setlists were totally different.

So, I don't see the problem. You might be irritated of them doing minimal changes in the setlists on these recent tours, but that has nothing to do with their releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 10:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: September 30, 2016 10:57

This just reflects the fact that the Stones haven't been musically relevant since 1983.

Date: September 30, 2016 11:00

LukeTheDrifter
This just reflects the fact that the Stones haven't been musically relevant since 1983.

What reflects that, the OP starting this thread?

With two new albums in store for us, we might say our verdict after those?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home