Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Indian Girl
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 14, 2011 05:56

The extreme antipathy of some for INDIAN GIRL reminds me of George Orwell's comment about Leo Tolstoy's hatred of William Shakespeare's plays; that not only did Tolstoy hate Shakespeare, he wanted to get everyone else to hate Shakespeare, too.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 14, 2011 06:18

Title5Take1
The extreme antipathy of some for INDIAN GIRL reminds me of George Orwell's comment about Leo Tolstoy's hatred of William Shakespeare's plays; that not only did Tolstoy hate Shakespeare, he wanted to get everyone else to hate Shakespeare, too.

It's downright vitriolic isn't it?
Then again, I want to get everyone to love it.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 14, 2011 14:20

Agreed, it's no Wild Horses but I like it. It fits very well in this album. And it aged well. The whole album has. Interesting lyrics too. I don't see them as "political", rather a collection of impressions, and the bag of mixed emotions that come with them of an outsider observer.

C

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2011 15:58

It's only a ballad but I'don't like it

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 14, 2011 16:22

stupidguy2
More Hot Rocks
It's from the 80's. Of course it sucks.

Silly Rabbit,
It was actually recorded in 79, while the revolution was unfolding.

close enough!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 14, 2011 16:59

NeddieFlanders
Always liked Indian Girl and still do. But can't stand later ballads like Blinded By Love and Sweethearts Together. Taste is stranger than fiction...

N

I'm with Neddie on this one.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 14, 2011 17:37

71Tele
I think TM Blood is unlistenable. A really stupid song. Quite possibly the stupidest they have ever recorded. I mean, why even write a song about this subject matter (if you can even call it a "song")?

"Izzat really what they do in Texas?...Oooo! Don't saw off me arm! Don't saw off me leg!...When I go to the movies, like to see somethin' I can take the wife to, somethin' a but more romantic, like An Officer and A Gentleman."

A wise man once said "It's a fine line between clever and stupid..."

I drove around all summer listening to "Pretty Beat Up," "Feel On Baby" and especially the bizarre and hilarious "Too Much Blood." It's an excellent track that goes beautifully with "You Can't Catch Me," "Mona," "Hey Negrita," "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" and tons of other Stones classics.

I'd love to hear just one more recording from the Stones that had the energy and humor of "Too Much Blood."

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 14, 2011 19:49

This is crazy talk ... the song is *totally* camp, and there's not a sincere bone in its body. Especially the spoken-word bits at the end: it's Jagger trying on another persona.

"All About You": now there's a song where the singer means every word. But "Indian Girl"? C'mon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-14 19:50 by Mel Belli.

Date: September 14, 2011 21:58

Mel Belli
This is crazy talk ... the song is *totally* camp, and there's not a sincere bone in its body. Especially the spoken-word bits at the end: it's Jagger trying on another persona.

"All About You": now there's a song where the singer means every word. But "Indian Girl"? C'mon!

I don't think Jagger would make a joke, or be sardonic about that kind of subject matter. I may be naive, but I really don't. I'm always amazed at how people reject any sincerity with Jagger. The fact that he diminishes his own lyrics so often has always seemed like a ruse to me, a way to keep people from interpreting his true feelings...

Date: September 14, 2011 22:02

liddas
Agreed, it's no Wild Horses but I like it. It fits very well in this album. And it aged well. The whole album has. Interesting lyrics too. I don't see them as "political", rather a collection of impressions, and the bag of mixed emotions that come with them of an outsider observer.

C

Excellent perspective on the song. I think that's probably true. While it does have a historical and political context, those aspects are not as pedantic as a CLash or U2 or Jackson Browne song, and perhaps why some find it "vague"......"Indian Girl" seems more of a visceral impression from an outsider walking among the chaos.
Good point liddas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-14 22:03 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 14, 2011 22:12

Rev. Robert W.
71Tele
I think TM Blood is unlistenable. A really stupid song. Quite possibly the stupidest they have ever recorded. I mean, why even write a song about this subject matter (if you can even call it a "song")?

"Izzat really what they do in Texas?...Oooo! Don't saw off me arm! Don't saw off me leg!...When I go to the movies, like to see somethin' I can take the wife to, somethin' a but more romantic, like An Officer and A Gentleman."

I drove around all summer listening to "Pretty Beat Up," "Feel On Baby" and especially the bizarre and hilarious "Too Much Blood." It's an excellent track that goes beautifully with "You Can't Catch Me," "Mona," "Hey Negrita," "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" and tons of other Stones classics.

I'd love to hear just one more recording from the Stones that had the energy and humor of "Too Much Blood."

Hence my " too each his own comment". But really, Pretty Beat Up is another piece of crap, imho (of course)...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 14, 2011 22:14

So, after four pages: What is the consensus? Indian Girl is a great Stones classic?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2011 22:17

Stoneage
So, after four pages: What is the consensus? Indian Girl is a great Stones classic?

It seems pretty split to me. Some people don't even seem to understand the song. And some people just legitimately don't care for it.

Date: September 14, 2011 22:29

24FPS
Stoneage

It seems pretty split to me. Some people don't even seem to understand the song. And some people just legitimately don't care for it.

In either case, I think it can be disqualified as the "worst Stones song ever."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-14 22:29 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 14, 2011 23:23

71Tele
Rev. Robert W.
71Tele

Hence my " too each his own comment". But really, Pretty Beat Up is another piece of crap, imho (of course)...

eh? Pretty Beat Up is the most sexiest groove the Stones have ever laid to tape. It's a mix between punk and funk, with a fantastic Charlie, great bass, and the best ever screaming sax solo since Brown Sugar!

It's just utterly fantastic!

Mathijs

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: September 14, 2011 23:52

I'm thinking this was the inspiration for Indian Girl.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-14 23:54 by paulm.

Date: September 23, 2011 06:37

For being such a derided Stones song by many, this song sure has alot of Youtube postings and comments....

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 23, 2011 06:56

It's among the very worst things they ever recorded. The horn arrangement stands out for its laughability.

Maybe they thought that, somewhere down the road, we can play that piece of sh-t instead of You Can't Always Get What You Want onstage.

Posted by: zapata ()
Date: September 23, 2011 15:33

I always loved this track, can't help it

marco

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: September 23, 2011 15:43

I like the song...& actually found it creeping into my guitar playing a few years back. It could have something to do with trips to Central America at the time. I remember trying to write a song about the Arab Spring & I kept thinking the chord progression sounded familiar. Realized it was similar to Indian Girl.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:10

THEIR WORST SONG > EVER!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 17, 2013 19:22

drewmaster
I happen to LOVE Indian Girl. I fell in love with Indian Girl the first time I heard it and I love it every bit as much to this day.

Why? It is a gentle, shimmering masterpiece, and (like Start Me Up), a showcase for the genius of every member of the band. Keith's delicate acoustic guitar licks and tinkling piano notes are transcendent. Charlie lays down a mesmerizing, syncopated rhythm that hooks you and refuses to let go. Mick's pleading, yearning vocal is like a stab in the heart. The lyrics are devastating. (Are they politically correct? Maybe not...) Ronnie's pedal steel is simply gorgeous. Bill's bass has never sounded better. Ian Stewart's marimbas add beautiful color and mood. Everything here meshes perfectly.

Not only is this a fantastic song, but like every track on ER, it is produced with stunning clarity. I love how front and center Charlie's drumming is, in particular. This is the band I love, recorded during their renaissance period.

Drew

i really like that song! and you're absolutely correct about the bass-sound. it's absolutely brilliant!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 17, 2013 19:38

My introduction to the Rolling Stones came as 10 year old when my brother's French exchange partner,Patrick, rocked up in Manchester with a hot off the presses copy of Emotional Rescue.
Patrick became legendary in our family. He could not speak a word of English. Literally not one word. My father's exasperated attempts to communicate with him are remembered to this day. Anyway i liked him, and his record collection. We listened to that album constantly that summer, and i went on to buy it in every format released.
So for me this track aint so bad. And id go as far as to say it's better than ANYTHING recorded since 1982. Cos its the real organic Rolling Stones, and so what if it misses the target a little, at least they were trying, its art, as opposed to the contractual obligations, oh shit we've got to do an album so we can tour, disappointments of the last 25 years.
Anyway Here's to Patrick! Although i doubt he's reading this.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2013 21:58

Worst Rolling Stones song has to be broken into categories. Worst Chuck-Berryish song could have entries like Had It With You. Worst Covers could be early like Under The Boardwalk, or late with Like A Rolling Stone. Worst Because They Just are could have dumpster material like Pretty Beat Up. Indian Girl could go under Songs A Lot of Stones hate, although it's a great song. Like Miss You.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 17, 2013 22:43

Wouldn't mind hearing this one live.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 17, 2013 22:43

"Like a Rolling Stone" is great

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 07:38

Not same level as Down in the hole, but a very good Song for
Me. ER is quite underrated

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 18, 2013 08:27

I think this, rather than 'Dance', should have been the instrumental track.

Love the song.

Not a fan of the lyrics.

Listening to it with out vocs. changes the whole thing.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 18, 2013 09:04

At least it has Bill on bass. I like the horns too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-18 09:07 by 71Tele.

Date: August 18, 2013 12:25

71Tele
At least it has Bill on bass. I like the horns too.

Those stops in there sounds like Keith on bass to me...

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home