Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Indian Girl
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:15

But 'down in the hole' is their last mean harp-solo from records...and what a sound...like a factory....a factory girl...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: September 12, 2011 15:20

drewmaster
crumbling_mice
They obviously don't love it...as far as I know it's never been played live!

Ballads are tricky to perform in front of thousands of screaming fans. I wouldn't assume they don't love it just because they haven't played it!

Drew

It sure is tricky, but the Stones really showed the fans how to do it in London, 1990 (Bill's last show) - when they played three ballads in a row:

Almost Hear You Sigh
Ruby Tuesday
Angie

Date: September 12, 2011 15:24

Come On
But 'down in the hole' is their last mean harp-solo from records...and what a sound...like a factory....a factory girl...smoking smiley

No, not the last winking smiley

+ Break The Spell

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:24

lacks balls? really? it was released approx 6 months after Maurice Bishop's 'revolution' and arguably (if vaguely - typical MJ) criticizes the NJM, Castro, Guevara, & co.

(btw just read that Maurice Bishop attended the LSE - who knew?)

like it, even if the beat's not so good and you can't really dance to it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:26

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

Not very different from some of the stuff on Dylan's Desire, released a few years before, imo.

Maybe. In that case it would be their second Dylanesk song since 'Who's been sleeping here"?

But amidst this punk-disco phase they were going through at the time, it is little surprise
to me that they ventured onto this road.

You forgot Family - perhaps the most Dylanesque song the Stones ever wrote. It even references Dylan's St.Augustine.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:31

Horrible song...with a few others certainly a lowpoint.

But Down In The Hole is so great,both packed on the same album....strange Stones.....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:32

DandelionPowderman
Come On

No, not the last winking smiley

+ Break The Spell

Umm, wouldn't this be the last one?

Drew

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:50

I like this song. I don't care what others think.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:00

FreeBird
I like this song. I don't care what others think.
+1

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:01

big4
I've always wondered if it wasn't an instrumental track from early to mid-70s (because of Nicky playing on it, they hadn't worked with him since IORR plus he's not featured on any other ER tracks or outtakes (as far as we know).

But are we sure Nicky Hopkins is really playing on this one?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:44

for me its one of the worst stones songs ever and by far the worst song on ER, which i generally like.. .the way mick sings doesnt border on self-parody, but is self paraody.....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:39

Ah, opinions. I thought it was a classic Stones cut when I first heard it, and still do. Maybe the Clash and others were a couple years ahead of reporting on the problems in South America, but the Stones have a bigger megaphone. This is really the thematic predecessor to Undercover of the Night (the song, not the album). I think Indian Girl is wistful and daring, compared to the some of the very shallow sounding cuts on side one of Emotional Rescue. (Summer Romance, Send it to Me, Let Me Go.) All of this is IMHO.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:45

24FPS
Ah, opinions. I thought it was a classic Stones cut when I first heard it, and still do. Maybe the Clash and others were a couple years ahead of reporting on the problems in South America, but the Stones have a bigger megaphone. This is really the thematic predecessor to Undercover of the Night (the song, not the album). I think Indian Girl is wistful and daring, compared to the some of the very shallow sounding cuts on side one of Emotional Rescue. (Summer Romance, Send it to Me, Let Me Go.) All of this is IMHO.

+1 "Indian Girl" adds a nice contrast to those tunes and comes out of nowhere to wrap up side 1. South America was a hot button topic in those days, a few months later the Clash would title their album Sandinista.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:47

Shite. Period.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:47

...love it. Light years better than You Got Me Rockin'...that's the worst song they ever recorded.

Posted by: Turdontherun ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:14

Nice song! Quite clever lyrics. They even mention the war in Angola (and hint at the cuban intervention).

Lovely steel-playing, delicate bass, lazy atmosphere... I think it really captures something.

Of course it is not by any means an "important", seminal song. It is minor Stones, but a rather good one.

Not terrific. Certainly not horrid. I appreciate it for what it is.

Posted by: Turdontherun ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:20

Seems I forgot the drums. How could I? The DRUMS. GREAT, SUPERB drumming on this one!

And, once again, regardin' the lyrics: it IS hard deciding whether this is serious or not. And I like my Stones that way. Bordering on self-parody, or whatever.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:26

I've always been fond of it. Lyrically, I like the idea of making a ballad about tragic Third World politics in the cold war era. Not many singers besides Mick would ever attempt it. My only beef with it is, at some point, the real-sounding mariachi horns seem to be replaced by a synthesizer.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 12, 2011 21:08

Well, I like it....a lot

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 23:12

Natlanta
lacks balls? really? it was released approx 6 months after Maurice Bishop's 'revolution' and arguably (if vaguely - typical MJ) criticizes the NJM, Castro, Guevara, & co.

quote]

I always saw it as a subtle, if more direct "Won't Get Fooled Again" -
with Jagger perhaps forshadowing or forewarning the Sandinistas' own dictatorial tendencies that came with getting wrapped up in their own romantic mythology and power.
'Same as the old boss'
Too many take the political context out of this song, and without it, it wouldn't even exist.

Date: September 12, 2011 23:25

24FPS

I think this may have preceded the CLash, and every other rock or pop activist for that matter. At least on record and as a Stones fan, I'm proud of that. Before Jackson Browne, Bono and Joe Strummer fell in love with the Sandinistas at first site, Jagger had a real connection to the issue (He saw the post-earthquake wasteland that was Nicaragua first-hand, Bianca's mother was active in the revolution, and Bianca has said that she took Jade to the Sandinistas' victory celebration post-Somoza's defeat)
Jagger is often criticized for not taking an unsubtle stand on a political issue, but this is his greatest strength. He's not a romanticist, but a realist. In this song, he was able to capture the revolutionary fervor ('shooting down planes with their M16s amid laughter..') to the more jaded, astute observations about Angola and Castro.
It's his most fascinating political song.
Perhaps a better thread topic for this song would be trying to interpret what he was going for, what he was trying to say...
because the '"Indian Girl" is the worst Stones song ever!' crap seems to be a peripheral view. It might be the most polarizing, but too many people get it, appreciate it... for it to be the worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 23:27 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 12, 2011 23:44

Indian Girl is the 7th best tune on The Boys 3rd best album.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 12, 2011 23:58

Possibly their WORST song.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 13, 2011 00:08

Mathijs
Without a shadow of a doubt the most appalling song the Stones have ever recorded.

Mathijs

Really? The most appalling? There are a lot more appalling ones that came later, like that one of Keith's on ABB where he sings "sit right down and bare your breasts" (or something to that effect). Or at least 60% of the songs on Dirty Work. At least "Indian Girl" has that nice pedal steel and mariachi horns.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 13, 2011 00:19

Really don't get why Indian Girl gets such a drubbing. I find it quite poignant.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 13, 2011 00:39

mickscarey

Winning Ugly and Too Much Blood are worse.

Date: September 13, 2011 02:49

71Tele
Mathijs
Without a shadow of a doubt the most appalling song the Stones have ever recorded.

Mathijs

Really? The most appalling? There are a lot more appalling ones that came later, like that one of Keith's on ABB where he sings "sit right down and bare your breasts" quote]

lol...
What about "Any Way You Look At It"?
Now that is a bad song, and I don't who's to blame, Mick or Keith, because it sounds like Mick imitating Keith imitating himself.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 13, 2011 02:57

thumbs up
stupidguy2
71Tele
Mathijs

Mathijs

Really? The most appalling? There are a lot more appalling ones that came later, like that one of Keith's on ABB where he sings "sit right down and bare your breasts" quote]

lol...
What about "Any Way You Look At It"?
Now that is a bad song, and I don't who's to blame, Mick or Keith, because it sounds like Mick imitating Keith imitating himself.

Posted by: allaboutyou ()
Date: September 13, 2011 03:01

Very unique ballad. Another in a long line of great Stones, slow songs. I love it today as much as I did when I first heard it 30+ years ago.

Date: September 13, 2011 10:17

71Tele
mickscarey

Winning Ugly and Too Much Blood are worse.

Too Much Blood???

Awesome tune, imo. And I really like This Place Is Empty.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home