Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Whats Locally made in your City that The Stones use?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 8, 2011 02:20

Is there anything thats locally made in your City or State that The Rolling Stones use in the way of stage equipment,instruments etc..and also for their own personal use around their homes?

Re: Whats Locally made in your City that The Stones use?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 8, 2011 02:38

Musical influence from New Orleans.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: September 8, 2011 02:46

Vinyl records made at URP in Nashville

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 8, 2011 03:01

Victoria Pearman.....(Strictly speaking not used by the Stones so to speak but associated through Mick)............president of Jagged films....

Made in Swansea, South Wales........the sister of an old friend of mine
Ritchie......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 10:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:43

Guitar straps by Ed & Fred!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:48

Washington, DC: The Internal Revenue Service!

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:54

In California? Probably our weed.

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: September 8, 2011 06:23

Chuck Berry

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 8, 2011 07:52

pussy. Lots of pussy.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 8, 2011 07:58

some of Ronnie's guitars
see. [duesenberg.de]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2011 10:35

Any time they've been on tour and Vancouver was a stop, I'm reasonably sure they used the toilet, so the water and sewage system would be a good guess.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 8, 2011 10:43

The Nayland Rock Hotel, just around the corner from me (Mick & Jerry Hall held their wedding reception there):

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2011 10:49

..... the pick-up truck.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:12

The Worcester War Memorial Auditorium was made in Worcester and used for a concert in 1962

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:21

Several venues all about 15 minutes from where I grew up.

The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm

Koko, formerly The Camden Theatre where they played in 64 and from where the amazing Cops and Robbers EP comes. Here it is in its 1930s music hall days and now as Koko.

The 100 Club, Oxford St where the Stones played in 82 and 86.

Wembley Arena, formerly Empire Pool where they played many NME Pollwinners Concerts from 64-68, four shows in 73 (my 1st Stones show) and three great shows in 2003.

And of course dear old Wembley Stadium - seen here as it was up to 2002 before it was torn down and rebuilt.

Date: September 8, 2011 13:04

I was here on 29 August, 2003. Thanks for posting this pic, Silver Dagger !

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 13:22

Sir Morgans Cove which has been rechristened as The Lucky Dog Music Hall

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 8, 2011 13:40

As long as one is not a veterinarian, I am sure
one enjoys a Kansas City Strip from time to time.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 9, 2011 05:58

probably beer.

have any of the Stones ever rode a Harley?

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 9, 2011 06:01

sweet neo con

I've seen a pic of Mick on a bike, but not a Harley.

Date: September 9, 2011 06:21

sweet neo con
probably beer.

sweet neo con..There is a cool photo of Keith sitting on an early H-D Chopper.Are ya' from Milwaukee? smoking smiley

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 9, 2011 06:25

Chicago, and the Stones use the Blues

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 9, 2011 08:39

colonial
There is a cool photo of Keith sitting on an early H-D Chopper

- one of a series probably taken november 3rd 1969, probably by Thomas Monaster

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 9, 2011 09:02

This pic of Mick on a motorbike? Not a Harley but it does begin with a H.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 9, 2011 14:20

Barclays Bank Lyndhurst used by Bill Wyman and mentioned in Stone Alone.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: September 9, 2011 14:38

Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: September 9, 2011 15:14

This:

Kari Nieminen - guitar maker to the stars
Hand-made instruments from Pitäjänmäki workshop find favour with The Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, and The Who

print this

By Vesa Sirén

Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones has bought eight guitars from him, and Keith Richards has two.
There is a video clip on the Internet, in which Roger Daltrey, vocalist of The Who, shows his guitar to Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, who praises the acoustic instrument profusely.
His guitars get good reviews in Guitar Player and other professional publications.
Not a bad achievement for 48-year-old Kari Nieminen, who makes only 40 guitars a year in his workshop in the Pitäjänmäki district of Helsinki.

The time is not right - at least not yet - for setting up an industrial production line.
“I would need more customers who spread the word. In addition to guitar players, my customers include collectors and bankers, who buy these as investments.”
An article on valuable guitars as investment targets appeared in the International Herald Tribune. The paper recently used Nieminen's guitars as an example of products that might attract an investor’s interest.
At the moment, Nieminen’s guitars cost anywhere from EUR 3,000 on upwards. The range is extensive. There are acoustic and electric guitars, baritone guitars, and instruments which are something between a guitar and a sitar.
“And for instance, there is a four-string electric mandolin with a tremolo arm for classical violinist Pekka Kuusisto”, he adds.

Nieminen built his first guitar at the age of 12. His first customer was his friend Riku Mattila from high school in Oulu.
“Riku is still one of my most important clients in Finland.”

Nieminen graduated from the University of Art and Design in 1989 as an industrial designer. It was not until spending seven years as a teacher at the institution that he set up the his company Versoul in 1994.
“In January 1995 I went to Los Angeles to the NAMM trade fair with my guitar and got a foothold in the United States. The key is to know one’s competitors, and what is really new, and what others do not have to offer.
Soon Roger Daltrey walked into a store in Santa Monica and became infatuated with Nieminen’s acoustic guitar.
“He was so excited that he let me use his name for free in marketing. He also spoke about my guitars to Alan Rogan, the guitar technician of The Rolling Stones.
Rogan recommended Nieminen’s guitars to Ronnie Wood.
“Ronnie later invited me to his home in Richmond. It was a hunting lodge of some former English king - that is to say, a castle. I gave him a guitar for his 60th birthday, because he was such a good customer.

Wood invited Nieminen and his family to a Rolling Stones gig at Helsinki’s Olympic Stadium in August last year.
“We spent 13 hours there, as the guitar technicians showed us their equipment before the concert.”
Keith Richard had the biggest back room.
“The big room was made into something like a home. There was a corner for the whole band to rehearse in, with small amplifiers, a Johnny Cash poster, an Elvis cardboard cutout, a Hank Williams recording playing, and a snooker table.”
Two ten-string guitars were commissioned for Richards.
“They are like 12-strings, with the lower two missing. He plays them with open tuning.”

Wood uses Nieminen’s Versoul guitars at concerts a great deal. There is no information on what guitars Richards uses on stage.
“There will soon be more publicity from the fact that I have made two guitars for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, covered with gold leaf. They will be on display in Guitarist magazine”, he said.
“After buying the first, Gibbons ordered two more. He named them his "Versoul Raya Billy F. Gibbons Blue Light" special guitars.”
On the wall of his workshop Nieminen has an e-mail from Gibbons, as well as photographs in which Nieminen is locked in an embrace with Daltrey and Wood.

The ageing rockers have paid cash for the guitars, as did the guitar technician for The Who, who bought an acoustic instrument a year ago for Pete Townshend to rehearse on.
“Usually big name guitarists make endorsement contracts, under which they get the instruments for free; in exchange, the manufacturer is allowed to use the artist’s name in marketing. I also have artists like that, such as the jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell.”
Many of Nieminen’s big-name clients are already retired. Are guitars somehow especially pensioner-friendly?
“Quality and originality are the decisive factors. These guys already have every possible type of guitar, and they are looking for something new.”

Originality comes from the design, the mike positioning, and exceptional types of wood, such as aspen. Nieminen has innovations of his own for attaching the neck, tuning, and the design of the acoustics.
However, there are some basic matters that cannot be compromised on, no matter how much artistry and gold leaf is put into the design.
“My starting point is that an electric guitar has to sound good when held in the lap even without amplification. You have to feel the tone in your belly.”

Helsingin Sanomat / First published in print 31.5.2008

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 9, 2011 19:31

NYC.. legends

Date: September 9, 2011 20:47

with sssoul
colonial

with sssoul..The H-D Keith is sitting on looks like the same model used in "Easyrider" the '69 Panhead smoking smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 9, 2011 21:17

colonial
with sssoul
colonial

with sssoul..The H-D Keith is sitting on looks like the same model used in "Easyrider" the '69 Panhead smoking smiley

thanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home