Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best version of Beast of Burden?
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: September 9, 2011 15:40

TeddyB1018
So interesting to see the Stones changes through the first two decades and each incarnation so compelling.

So true.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 9, 2011 16:51

The 1981 version is horrible. Too fast, too grunty. The 1994 version is better in some ways but what is a barden Mick?

Stick with the single version, which is better because it's shorter.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: September 9, 2011 22:05

EddieByword
I love this one...Sun Devil Stadium,1981..........esp. Keith at 3.37...........

thumbs up My favorite live version of this great Stones classic. Erie Watts especially performs sheer inhuman magic.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 10, 2011 01:40

hALLOWEEN 94 WAS A NICE VERSION OF BEAST. Of course, Miami 94, Fort Worth 1978. Philly 81 I like.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 10, 2011 07:52

Stoneage
I don't like Jagger's voice here. Hoarse, flat and brutal. Was the ยด78 tour the beginning of the yelling Jagger?

Have you heard his voice from '75/76?

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: September 10, 2011 10:43

Not only is this the best version ever but it's one of the finest moments in Stones history. The band is so in synch with each other and everything is so tight. The interplay between Keith and Ronnie is just magic. You can get all the fancy technical players you want, but if you try all of them, they can't get this sound. Charlie and Bill are just so together that it's amazing. And from the first word, Mick sings with as much soul as anyone get ever express in song. It's just a beauty.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2011 11:04

scottkeef
78 versions alot better than 81...

For me it's the opposite. I find the 78 ones skeletal. Otoh the versions played in 81 are gorgeous. I'll pick the Dec.18 Hampton one :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-10 11:05 by dcba.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 10, 2011 14:05

Hampton Roads, 1981

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 10, 2011 21:21

dcba
scottkeef
78 versions alot better than 81...

For me it's the opposite. I find the 78 ones skeletal. Otoh the versions played in 81 are gorgeous. I'll pick the Dec.18 Hampton one :

Yeah, I'll go with that, Keith esp. is enjoying himself a lot, Ernie Watts as Stevecardi said was mind melting,(Arizona at esp.) and Mick pulls off sultry and camp at the same time and enjoys every dirty minute - brilliant.....

Although I appreciate the playing in '78 (Esp. Faraway Eyes) and am looking forward to Fort Worth as anyone else......I do think Mick esp. was a bit affected (by mid life crisis brought on by the punks) in his performance in '78, over doing it and coming across as a bit silly sometimes.........just my perception of course..........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-11 19:02 by EddieByword.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 11, 2011 15:28

Beleive it or not I like the version on the rarities section of Four Flicks. i love Jagger's vocals.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 11, 2011 16:37

I'd agree that Hampton 81 is brilliant, but I think the 78 texas just pips it for rawness and of course the ancient art of weaving. Personally I've never like any brass interventions on BOB and when I saw them on the 82 UK leg, I wqs bored as hell with the extended sax stuff. But each to his own.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 11, 2011 18:32

Ernie Watts destroys this guitar based classic with his damn sax in 1981 - 78 version by a MILE!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 11, 2011 18:52

Shawn20
Ernie Watts destroys this guitar based classic with his damn sax in 1981 - 78 version by a MILE!

Gotta agree with you shawn...BOB is a guitar song. Hope Chuck Leavell understands that if and when the tour starts.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 13, 2011 00:50

Stoneage
I gave my vote for Bette here, Halfnanker. Just for the hell of it! And... I actually liked it, even though, I guess, you are not supposed to. Not around here, anyway.

I always liked it too, but that may have ben because the video was kind of fun; if it was just Bette covering the song, sans video, it likely would ahve come and gone quickly without being noticed. As i recall, it was heavy in the MTV rotation at the time.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home