Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Speaking of 1978...(Ft. Worth vs. other shows)
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 06:18

Based on what we've heard on the various bootlegs from the '78 tour, and pretending also that every show from that tour was pro-shot filmed, what would be the best show to see released as a Some Girls Live in '78 vid release in 2011?

My sense is we are quite fortunate that Fort Worth was in fact recorded back then, as it seems like a good show.

BUT...I'll vote for Detroit. I think that might rank as the best show on the tour, based on what I've heard (WTWCD puts it over the top, for me). But other people on this board have studied/compared the various shows a lot more in depth. I'd be curious where they would rank the Ft. Worth show in relation to some of the other shows from that tour.

Re: Speaking of 1978...(Ft. Worth vs. other shows)
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 12, 2011 07:13

I often wondered why the 78 ft worth show was selected to be filmed. I'm glad because I live in Tx and was there but I wondered if Texas being a non-union state had anything to do with it because it was cheaper. If you think about it in 72 the four shows filmed were all in Texas...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 07:13 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 12, 2011 10:41

It's one of the last theater shows, so they where warmed up, and most probaby a very easy theater to shoot film in. Good lighting, non-intrusive for band and audience, those kind of things.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:53

I would also prefer Detroit, although Texas is a good show. with some overdubs they could fix some bugs like the messed up beginning of "Let It Rock". MJ gets out of rhythm immediately after the first Ronnie solo. It is somewhat funny like the false vocals on "Brown Sugar" in Madrid 1990 when MJ said: "Oh sorry" immediately after missing the right entrance of the first strophe.

Date: September 12, 2011 15:55

RobertJohnson
I would also prefer Detroit, although Texas is a good show. with some overdubs they could fix some bugs like the messed up beginning of "Let It Rock". MJ gets out of rhythm immediately after the first Ronnie solo. It is somewhat funny like the false vocals on "Brown Sugar" in Madrid 1990 when MJ said: "Oh sorry" immediately after missing the right entrance of the first strophe.

+ Ronnie playing out of key-solo on JJF for about 30 seconds winking smiley

Date: September 12, 2011 16:00

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Yes, causing the devil of a toothache ... like sometimes in 81/82 ...

Date: September 12, 2011 16:04

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Yes, causing the devil of a toothache ... like sometimes in 81/82 ...

Which boots from 81/82?

Date: September 12, 2011 16:14

I would say e.g. JJF Hampton is somewhat off-key ... if I remember right. In general the JJF versions of 81/82, but also of 78, are not the best ones you can hear. The played it often sloppy and exaggeratedly "punkwise" with a dreadfully growling MJ.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:33

Even tho I loved it ANYTIME the Stones did a Chuck Berry number (especially for the opener) this tour was one time when Let It Rock just doesnt compare with the Leeds version--not even close. I dont know what changed it so much, I dont think it was just Ronnie and the lack of horns. The entire tempo seems different...

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:36

RobertJohnson

Well, considering how bad Charlie was on the 1972 tour as presented on Ladies & Gentlemen, with Midnight Rambler being quite bad, I think the guitar players can have a pass for 1978.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 01:57

So, if you could presume that ALL shows in '78 were professionally filmed, what would be your pick for the ONE show they should release on DVD/Blu-Ray in 2011? Would it be Fort Worth?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home