Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The U.S..78 Tour really was a good-one?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 8, 2011 01:04

That is really too silly to reply to - especially when coming from that guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 01:06 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 8, 2011 01:09

Erik_Snow
That is really too silly to reply to - especially when coming from that guy.

yawn.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 8, 2011 01:26

Havo
they did a great job---back in anaheim 78, but "still wheels", Voodou"- "Brigdes"-"Licks", "A bigger bang"-live-concerts were better!!

Finally someone who speeks the truth! Totally agree Havo.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 8, 2011 01:35

Max'sKansasCity
lem motlow
Munichhilton
lem motlow
i know i dont have the extensive knowledge of some who have seen a million clips on you tube and sifted through all the bootlegs,i simply went to a few of the shows.it kicked ass.

If you were at the 1978 tour than I bet it rocked! That's a great memory. I love 1981 for the same reason. Great tour great shows...I was there too.

Its all personal preference. I liked the Keith of 1981 better.
No big deal

i wasnt taking a shot at you at all.it just sometimes makes me laugh when i get these rundowns of how well the stones were playing at a certain time from people who listened to bootlegs and saw little video clips.
i think it makes them feel better about not having been there or something.i cant help it-if you didnt see the stones live in the 70s you missed out and all the bad audio and video out there wont change that.

I agree with you lem, I have been to many many live Stones concerts and I have never heard one complaint after any show I was at... but later I read here, all these people who disect under a microscope a bootleg DVD, and they have all sorts of complaints about a show I saw live, but they saw only on bootleg... It has become funny to me.

I think Rolling Stones rock and Roll is best heard live... who knows what variables or viewing angles or bad mics etc etc might mess up a bootleg. But I understand several people here probably make a lot of money in the bootleg business, and they get kind of testy if when feel any comments might hurt their business money. I am just not a fan of studying bootlegs under a microscope.... but to each their own.

I usually only try to obtain bootlegs to shows I attend, and they have always reinforced how great the live show was, contrary to what many post here... but also there are plenty who post here who think the Stones should have stopped in 1972 and have sucked since... I on the other hand am delighted with every show I have seen. Call it cheerleading call it being a long term fan, call it anything you want, it is only rock and roll to me.

Well said MKC. I was at the Superdome in 1978 for my first Rolling Stones show and thought it was excellent, even though the seats we had were about as far away from the stage as you could get. I haven't missed a tour since then.

Date: September 8, 2011 01:47

RSbestbandever
Well said MKC. I was at the Superdome in 1978 for my first Rolling Stones show and thought it was excellent, even though the seats we had were about as far away from the stage as you could get. I haven't missed a tour since then.

Right on RSbbe smiling smiley Yes sir, The Stones are highly addictive and habit forming, but at least they are a good habit(mostly) but impossible to kick, until the connection dries up... but at least we picked the right supplier, they have have stayed in business and kept us happy like no other.... and now with a good dose coming out Oct 04 [www.iorr.org] you can relive it... I read somewhere here that the your Superdome show was the night before the Texas show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 01:49 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 8, 2011 01:52

Max'sKansasCity
RSbestbandever

Right on RSbbe smiling smiley Yes sir, The Stones are highly addictive and habit forming, but at least they are a good habit(mostly) but impossible to kick, until the connection dries up... but at least we picked the right supplier, they have have stayed in business and kept us happy like no other.... and now with a good dose coming out Oct 04 [www.iorr.org] you can relive it... I read somewhere here that the your Superdome show was the night before the Texas show.

I didn't know they played Texas the night after they played the Superdome, thanks for sharing that. If I remember correctly it was Van Halen and the Doobie Brothers who were the opening acts at the Dome but I was so looking forward to seeing Mick and the boys for the first time I didn't pay much attention to their sets, lol.

Date: September 8, 2011 02:00

RSbestbandever
Max'sKansasCity
RSbestbandever

I didn't know they played Texas the night after they played the Superdome, thanks for sharing that. If I remember correctly it was Van Halen and the Doobie Brothers who were the opening acts at the Dome but I was so looking forward to seeing Mick and the boys for the first time I didn't pay much attention to their sets, lol.

smiling smiley and that is why I keep reading here, always a lot of fun stories, hopefull he does not mind me crossquoting his "slept on the hood of my car" story.. it is a gooder.

[www.iorr.org]
21stcenturystones
True story. Saw them in New Orleans the night before. Was on my way back home to Dallas to try and see the Ft.Worth show. My car breaks down in Wills Point, Texas.
Slept on the hood of my car that night til my Dad came and got me the next day. Missed the show. But now I'll see it.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 03:14

Along with Edith and a few others I saw the Stones in the Superdome in 1978. Great, great show and I was down front in the throng. When they hit the stage - it was pure magic. If you saw a poor 78 show, I'm very sorry, because New Orleans was wonderful. It would have made a very good movie due to the sheer size and response of the crowd.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 8, 2011 03:36

wow iam surprised there is not more hoopla over the complete fort worth show coming out on dvd, i thought everyone would be out of their minds with this, i sure am

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 8, 2011 03:42

A 5 page thread over a day and a half is pretty good hoopla.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 8, 2011 03:53

damn i missed that one justin , never mind lol

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 04:19

This was my 1st Stones concert...I thought the band was good & Mick was a bit sloppy on many occasions. He seemed bored with the whole thing.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 8, 2011 04:36

soulsurvivor1
This was my 1st Stones concert...I thought the band was good & Mick was a bit sloppy on many occasions. He seemed bored with the whole thing.

Soulsurvivor

Which concert were you at? Just curious.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:35

My first time was 78 as well in the 11,000 seat Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis. Excellent show. I can see how you could rate a great show from a good recording but to claim a show is inferior is more difficult. I guess you just had to have been there,

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:47

The '78 tour was wildly erratic. My first Stones show was the 6/17/78 JFK Stadium show in Philadelphia. Everything about the show was awful: the venue, the crush at the gates at 8 am, suffering through Foreigner, waiting for the Stones, being horribly disappointed by Jagger's cold and their piddly 85-minute performance, having to deal with hostile Philadelphians (the most unbearable lot of Americans in a crowd other than people from Oakland) in the aftermath, etc. I refused to attend another stadium show for four years after that horrible experience.

On the other hand, the recordings clearly indicate that they were on in Memphis, Detroit, Houston, Fort Worth and elsewhere.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 8, 2011 07:21

Havo
Hmmmm. Well, I Like their 1964-1969 era. Sticky Fingers , Exile, goats soup-and Iorr-just well done!. i saw some of their 1976 concerts in Europe. . .was on Holiday in 1978 In California . I Saw my fav. "Band" in Anaheim, 1978. i wasnt impressed.. Really like the "Some Girls"-Album, but live .....

hey--are their some of you , who saw the 78-tour?

As many have said above the shows were eratic. Did you see the first show or the second? In my opinion the first Anaheim show was very sloppy and they got destroyed in the press. The second show was awesome and is the famous shoe show. They were bad one day and great the next.

No doubt it was:
Booze and pills and powders, you can choose your medicine

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2011 10:41

Max'sKansasCity
lem motlow
Munichhilton
lem motlow
i know i dont have the extensive knowledge of some who have seen a million clips on you tube and sifted through all the bootlegs,i simply went to a few of the shows.it kicked ass.

If you were at the 1978 tour than I bet it rocked! That's a great memory. I love 1981 for the same reason. Great tour great shows...I was there too.

Its all personal preference. I liked the Keith of 1981 better.
No big deal

i wasnt taking a shot at you at all.it just sometimes makes me laugh when i get these rundowns of how well the stones were playing at a certain time from people who listened to bootlegs and saw little video clips.
i think it makes them feel better about not having been there or something.i cant help it-if you didnt see the stones live in the 70s you missed out and all the bad audio and video out there wont change that.

I agree with you lem, I have been to many many live Stones concerts and I have never heard one complaint after any show I was at... but later I read here, all these people who disect under a microscope a bootleg DVD, and they have all sorts of complaints about a show I saw live, but they saw only on bootleg... It has become funny to me.

I think Rolling Stones rock and Roll is best heard live... who knows what variables or viewing angles or bad mics etc etc might mess up a bootleg. But I understand several people here probably make a lot of money in the bootleg business, and they get kind of testy if when feel any comments might hurt their business money. I am just not a fan of studying bootlegs under a microscope.... but to each their own.

I usually only try to obtain bootlegs to shows I attend, and they have always reinforced how great the live show was, contrary to what many post here... but also there are plenty who post here who think the Stones should have stopped in 1972 and have sucked since... I on the other hand am delighted with every show I have seen. Call it cheerleading call it being a long term fan, call it anything you want, it is only rock and roll to me.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:37

Erik_Snow
1978 is such an interesting tour, because it went so extremely up and down; from show to show. An excellent performance could follow a real poor one; and then go up to excellent again, the night after. The better performances of 1978 beats everything from the 80s, IMO, but it's all personal preference, as Munichhilton says. I think the best 1978 shows matches El Mocambo 1977 in energy and intimity

But what was a really poor '78 show? I listened to all available shows, and really there isn't any show that sticks out in a negative way. Some shows are'n too good in sound quality so are difficult to listen too, but really, unlike the '81 tour, in my opinion there aren't bad shows on the '78 tour.

The last show I didn't have was the Myrtle Beach show, posted some time ago by Stonesmusicfan. It turned out to a fantastic, red hot show, in very listenable quality.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:57

A great tour? Somewhat messy and chaotic, somewhat ingenious - just the Stones ...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 8, 2011 14:29

Mathijs
But what was a really poor '78 show? I listened to all available shows, and really there isn't any show that sticks out in a negative way. Some shows are'n too good in sound quality so are difficult to listen too, but really, unlike the '81 tour, in my opinion there aren't bad shows on the '78 tour.

The last show I didn't have was the Myrtle Beach show, posted some time ago by Stonesmusicfan. It turned out to a fantastic, red hot show, in very listenable quality.
Mathijs

Poor shows.....Boulder, Cleveland, Philadelphia, 1st show in Anaheim comes to mind as the *worst* ones. But that doesn't mean that those shows doesn't have their moments, of course. Lakeland and Atlanta ain't that good either.

Myrtle Beach on the other hand is terrific - one can hear that, despite of the poor quality it's available in

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 8, 2011 15:10

If you can judge a concert you werent at as 'terrific' based on what youve heard on a (preferably high quality) bootleg recording, then by the same token you can equally judge it as crap based on the same criteria.

Being AT a show is merely another perspective. Its not necessarily an ultimate or definitive one, though. If youre at a gig, you're 'in the moment' and are enjoying the experience (which isnt necessarily JUST about the musical content) and not always in a position to cherrypick whats good or bad about it from a purely musical standpoint (nor should you be - 'enjoying it' is the main reason for paying for your ticket). Its easy to miss things that you can hear or see later if you have a recording of it - whether they improve it or take away from it.

Perspective is everything. I remember being at the Madrid show four years ago and reading reviews that it was a bit of a trainwreck at times and as a result people were assuming it was a poor show. However, I had a great time at it. The crowd around me were fantastic, the band were enjoying themselves and whilst Keith tottered on a musical tightrope at times, the whole evening was a lot of fun - even though I knew at the time that it wasnt technically that great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 15:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 8, 2011 15:56

(Sigh). Cleveland.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: September 8, 2011 16:43

Gazza, spot on!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 8, 2011 17:07

Was a GREAT tour.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 8, 2011 17:56

78 was excxellent, one of the best so far, certainly the most rock and roll-y. It was what a Rock n Roll band should be, a group of friends playing music together. The Faces element of Mac and Woody helped to make it fun, such as to loosen some of the songs up a bit; listen to some of the openings of Dice or Honky Tonk from that tour. Besides Mac and Woody, they had Stu, of course. And no horns, just Bobby (another good friend) and the occasional guest sax player otherwise. In any event, 75 and 78 was such a relief to get back to the original concept of double rhythm started by Jones and Richards.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 8, 2011 20:13

Gazza; I totally agree with you. there are so many people here that are critical for no reason. I see The Stones because it is a musical, visual, cultural, exciting adrenalin rushing show. there's nothing like it. Too many people judge the shows on Keith playing a A insted of an A7. They disect every note and put it under a microscope and judge the show by that with their arms crossed. If you want that, go see Steey Dan or The Eagles playing their albums not for note. I don't care if the new album has "typical 12 bar blues" on it. So what. If Mr. I Know It All can do better then do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 20:13 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 8, 2011 20:52

Their worst IMO though thy played alot of new material.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 8, 2011 20:53

I've attending to Stones concerts since 1975, haven't miss a tour I have always felt more than satisfied going out of the venue they just lit up. To me those two shows I saw in Anaheim in the summer of 1978 are the most memorable.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:20

Erik_Snow
Mathijs

Mathijs

Poor shows.....Boulder, Cleveland, Philadelphia, 1st show in Anaheim comes to mind as the *worst* ones. But that doesn't mean that those shows doesn't have their moments, of course. Lakeland and Atlanta ain't that good either.

Myrtle Beach on the other hand is terrific - one can hear that, despite of the poor quality it's available in

Well, I just listened to Boulder -mediocre quality, but a fantastic, fast paced show, and Mick's on fire! Lakeland and Atlanta I agre, they sound a bit unrehearsed, typical for tour openers.

Mathijs

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:24

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
Mathijs

Mathijs

Well, I just listened to Boulder -mediocre quality, but a fantastic, fast paced show, and Mick's on fire! Lakeland and Atlanta I agre, they sound a bit unrehearsed, typical for tour openers.

Mathijs
thats right

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home