Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The U.S..78 Tour really was a good-one?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 7, 2011 22:16

Hmmmm. Well, I Like their 1964-1969 era. Sticky Fingers , Exile, goats soup-and Iorr-just well done!. i saw some of their 1976 concerts in Europe. . .was on Holiday in 1978 In California . I Saw my fav. "Band" in Anaheim, 1978. i wasnt impressed.. Really like the "Some Girls"-Album, but live .....

hey--are their some of you , who saw the 78-tour?

Re: The U.S..78 Tour really was a good-one?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 7, 2011 22:20

I wasn't there, but it was obviously a very different musical experience compared to 5 or 6 years earlier.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 7, 2011 22:41

It was the event of the summer. If you were fortunate to see on of the small venue shows it was amazing. And it beat the shit outta the 81 tour im opinion...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 7, 2011 22:53

Sleepy City
I wasn't there...
... but that wont stop you from chiming in winking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:02

Max'sKansasCity
Sleepy City
I wasn't there...

I think Sleepy spends his time 24/7 on this site...doesn't anything interesting ever happen in Margate? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-07 23:03 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 7, 2011 23:03

Silver Dagger
Max'sKansasCity
Sleepy City
I wasn't there...

I think Sleepy spends his time 24/7 on this site...doesn't anything interesting ever happen in Margate? smiling smiley

LOL.... btw - nice poster

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:06

´78 was before I became a fan. A horrible version of "Hound Dog" scared me away from the ´78 bootlegs when I listened to them in the mid 80`s. Liked "Love You Live" though (Paris ´76 and El Mocambo ´77).

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:10

1975 and 1981 were the best tours of the Wood era in my opinion.
1978 was the weakest of the three but far better than the 'new' Wood era of 1989+

This new DVD will be fun to watch, but a good complete 1981 show would be far more welcome.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:12

78 and 81 were the worst so far.

Date: September 7, 2011 23:13

What about Dirty Work?, tell us ALL about Dirty Work.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:19

There's a good complete 81 show out there isnt there? Hampton Roads?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:22

i know i dont have the extensive knowledge of some who have seen a million clips on you tube and sifted through all the bootlegs,i simply went to a few of the shows.it kicked ass.

Date: September 7, 2011 23:25

scottkeef
There's a good complete 81 show out there isnt there? Hampton Roads?

Yes its very complete, but not perfect quality like the incomplete Sun Devil and East Rutherford. It would be nice to see Hampton Roads in as close to perfect as they can get it...still a 1978 Ft Worth is an encouraging start from the non nostalgic Stones camp. Maybe this one will be i theaters for a night like they did with L&G.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:27

tell us ALL about Dirty Work. ........... ask these guys

ROCKMAN

Date: September 7, 2011 23:32

lem motlow
i know i dont have the extensive knowledge of some who have seen a million clips on you tube and sifted through all the bootlegs,i simply went to a few of the shows.it kicked ass.

If you were at the 1978 tour than I bet it rocked! That's a great memory. I love 1981 for the same reason. Great tour great shows...I was there too.

Its all personal preference. I liked the Keith of 1981 better.
No big deal

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:37

they did a great job---back in anaheim 78, but "still wheels", Voodou"- "Brigdes"-"Licks", "A bigger bang"-live-concerts were better!!

Date: September 7, 2011 23:37

Rockman
Yup, now that is hard dirty work.... Glad you posted that, because I always refer to these men whenever I hear some highly paid movie star or investment banker(or the like) talking about how hard they work for their money... I respond with "If you wanna see what hard work really is, go down in a mine shaft 300 feet deep in the Earth and harvest coal all day".

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:41

1978 is such an interesting tour, because it went so extremely up and down; from show to show. An excellent performance could follow a real poor one; and then go up to excellent again, the night after. The better performances of 1978 beats everything from the 80s, IMO, but it's all personal preference, as Munichhilton says. I think the best 1978 shows matches El Mocambo 1977 in energy and intimity

Date: September 7, 2011 23:53

Erik_Snow
I think the best 1978 shows matches El Mocambo 1977 in energy and intimity

I do agree with that. I would like to hear the rest of Mocambo before saying its the greatest show ever ...but what we have heard is really amazingly good.

Now take Under My Thumb, You Can't Always Get Want You Want, Little T & A, and a few others like Let's Spend The Night Together and I might get on board with 1978. The set was just too limited for me.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:54

Munichhilton
lem motlow

If you were at the 1978 tour than I bet it rocked! That's a great memory. I love 1981 for the same reason. Great tour great shows...I was there too.

No big deal

i wasnt taking a shot at you at all.it just sometimes makes me laugh when i get these rundowns of how well the stones were playing at a certain time from people who listened to bootlegs and saw little video clips.
i think it makes them feel better about not having been there or something.i cant help it-if you didnt see the stones live in the 70s you missed out and all the bad audio and video out there wont change that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:59

'78 was my first tour. They say you never forget your first tour.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: September 8, 2011 00:04

Rockman

is that Aerosmith? winking smiley

Date: September 8, 2011 00:14

lem motlow
Munichhilton
lem motlow

No big deal

i wasnt taking a shot at you at all.it just sometimes makes me laugh when i get these rundowns of how well the stones were playing at a certain time from people who listened to bootlegs and saw little video clips.
i think it makes them feel better about not having been there or something.i cant help it-if you didnt see the stones live in the 70s you missed out and all the bad audio and video out there wont change that.

Then how can you have any opinion about GYYYO or Love You Live? You weren't there (I presume)

Completly disagree with you. If you attended a concert back then, there are lots of factors which could make you view the concert better or worse; horrible view, bad sound at your position; being in a bad mood, being drunk, etc etc

One is able to judge what one hears, no matter if it's "live" or on record/recording - and actually, one will be more objective when listening to a recorded piece; since one is able to listen several times - in peace and quiet.

Date: September 8, 2011 00:29

lem motlow
Munichhilton
lem motlow

No big deal

I agree with you lem, I have been to many many live Stones concerts and I have never heard one complaint after any show I was at... but later I read here, all these people who disect under a microscope a bootleg DVD, and they have all sorts of complaints about a show I saw live, but they saw only on bootleg... It has become funny to me.

I think Rolling Stones rock and Roll is best heard live... who knows what variables or viewing angles or bad mics etc etc might mess up a bootleg. But I understand several people here probably make a lot of money in the bootleg business, and they get kind of testy if when feel any comments might hurt their business money. I am just not a fan of studying bootlegs under a microscope.... but to each their own.

I usually only try to obtain bootlegs to shows I attend, and they have always reinforced how great the live show was, contrary to what many post here... but also there are plenty who post here who think the Stones should have stopped in 1972 and have sucked since... I on the other hand am delighted with every show I have seen. Call it cheerleading call it being a long term fan, call it anything you want, it is only rock and roll to me.

Date: September 8, 2011 00:41

lem motlow

i wasnt taking a shot at you at all.

Understood lem
I didn't take it that way. I do think you refer to a small group of IORRers though. I would be comfortable saying there are several here who have NEVER seen them live and still have a valid opinion on the Stones performance.

That's the beauty of modern and not so modern media

Few of us were at the Beacon shows but its really quite valid to have an opinion of the performance.

Take it easy

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 8, 2011 00:46

lem motlow
if you didnt see the stones live in the 70s you missed out and all the bad audio and video out there wont change that.

What's this crap?
You don't have to be at a show to know how well they played. A recording is as close as you can get to see how well a band is playing on that tour. A crappy show isn't going to improve by just being there in person. People confuse the rush and the adrenaline that comes with seeing an artist live, to mean that the band is playing amazingly.

The sense of euphoria you're experiencing while at the show is making you believe everything you're seeing is orgasmic...completely clouding your rational judgement. There is nothing more true and dependable than a live recording.

Date: September 8, 2011 00:49

Justin
lem motlow
if you didnt see the stones live in the 70s you missed out and all the bad audio and video out there wont change that.

What's this crap?
You don't have to be at a show to know how well they played. A recording is as close as you can get to see how well a band is playing on that tour. A crappy show isn't going to improve by just being there in person. People confuse the rush and the adrenaline that comes with seeing an artist live, to mean that the band is playing amazingly.

The sense of euphoria you're experiencing while at the show is making you believe everything you're seeing is orgasmic...completely clouding your rational judgement. There is nothing more true and dependable than a live recording.

Indeed

BTW - the *real* crap was the post that followed mine; above
"making money in bootleg business on the board"...."disect under a microscope a bootleg DVD"...goes to show how less insight this person have, both in the people on this board - and in the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 00:52 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 8, 2011 00:54

Justin
lem motlow

People confuse the rush and the adrenaline that comes with seeing an artist live, to mean that the band is playing amazingly.

Also the WIDELY available beverages...

Date: September 8, 2011 00:58

78 was a great tour. Anyone here who was in the States, in NYC in the summer of '78 knows what a great Stones- summer that was. They ramshackled through the US; no one was quite sure where they were going to show up. They were not playing the mega places; although they touched down in a few stadiums.
There was Keith free, Jagger running his mouth all summer, Ron Wood aboard, SNL, "Miss You" playing EVERYWHERE. I saw them at several dates up the East Coast. While I always get the rush if unreality when I see the Stones come on, and stay there for the whole show, it was never like in '78.
Ron and Keith on backing vocals - not once were they on key, but I will take them any day over Bernard and Lisa. Mac can't play piano very well, but I take him any day over Leavell.

Date: September 8, 2011 00:59

Erik_Snow
Justin
lem motlow

What's this crap?

Indeed

BTW - the *real* crap was the post that followed mine; above
"making money in bootleg business on the board"...."disect under a microscope a bootleg DVD"...goes to show how less insight this person have, both in the people on this board - and in the music.

LOL... you are a funny one. You just are unable to have a polite conversation without getting personal.

allow me to quote bv... [www.iorr.org]
These pages are open. No pages will be cencored. However, offending posts will be removed. It should be quite clear what an offending post is. A good advice is always think twice before you post. If you are drunk, don't post. If you talk before you think, think twice before you post. If you don't like what other people say, please comment seriously on the subject, and please try to avoid commenting on persons behind posts. Remember, like in real life, people do have different opinions. If someone in Stonesland like Keith, and you like Ronnie, that is fine. No problem. We need people on both sides of the stage, if you see what I mean...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home