Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Candidates To Replace Mick Taylor When He Quit The Stones
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: February 16, 2016 11:06

Mathijs
roryfaninva
Per Donal Gallagher, Rory went to Rotterdam and jammed for a couple days. Ive seen Bill Wyman confirm it in print so it definitely happened. Beyond question.
Not the right guy for the job, at any rate.

But all sessions from the Doelen in late January and early February 1975 are available on tape, with the best 6 hours or so released on CD. The only guitarists that can be heard are Keith, Wayne Perkins and Jeff Beck.

Didn't Rory G jam with part of the Stones some years later?

Mathijs

If I remember correctly, I once read that Rory and the Stones were jamming at Musicland Studios in Munich in 1975, when Rory was recording his Album Calling Card in Musicland.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2016 14:39

Link to article mentioned earlier here. Also- if anyones read the "All Too Beautiful" bio on Steve Marriott, the afterword is an account by his son Toby of an afternoon he spent with Keith and Woody- how flattered he was they took the time and that they told him all about his Dads audition ..so throw that on the pile of evidence as well...(lots of second hand accounts of this in books and articles...)

[www.examiner.com]

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:15

What is the informed view of Jeff Beck's claim that he was actually offered the job and he turned it down ?

Date: February 16, 2016 16:30

EJM
What is the informed view of Jeff Beck's claim that he was actually offered the job and he turned it down ?

My guess would be that both Jeff and the Stones -Keith in this very case- rapidly came to the conclusion that it just didn't work musically, not in style/ musical ideas and not in workflow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 16:31 by DancelittleSister.

Date: February 16, 2016 16:40

DancelittleSister
EJM

My guess would be that both Jeff and the Stones -Keith in this very case- rapidly came to the conclusion that it just didn't work musically, not in style/ musical ideas and not in workflow.

Only Jeff. He was bored (with the music) and left.

I haven't heard anything about Keith being involved in that. They had some rows years later, when Jeff criticised Keith's playing, but that's another story (and Jeff later admitted that he liked Keith's playing) smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2016 16:54

DandelionPowderman
DancelittleSister
EJM

I haven't heard anything about Keith being involved in that. They had some rows years later, when Jeff criticised Keith's playing, but that's another story (and Jeff later admitted that he liked Keith's playing) smiling smiley

Neither have I, but I can imagine that Keith's intuition told him to look for a different player. If you listen to the tapes with Jeff you can hear that it didn't really work, at least that's the feeling I get.

Date: February 16, 2016 16:58

DancelittleSister
DandelionPowderman
DancelittleSister
EJM

Neither have I, but I can imagine that Keith's intuition told him to look for a different player. If you listen to the tapes with Jeff you can hear that it didn't really work, at least that's the feeling I get.

Maybe you're right. Judging from the reports, there wasn't a lot that worked for the band at that time (like Perkins and more said) smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 16, 2016 19:17

I remember reading Jeff Beck's comments from that time, on his 'audition'

he said when he played with the Stones it was mostly just them sitting around jamming on blues..

he wasn't too eager to throw in with that I guess. (sounds pretty cool to me..)

the idea now of Jeff Beck in the Stones, is hilarious, to me.

can you imagine him doing what Ronnie does? and night after night,

no..you cant.smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 16, 2016 21:41

duke richardson
I remember reading Jeff Beck's comments from that time, on his 'audition'

he said when he played with the Stones it was mostly just them sitting around jamming on blues..

he wasn't too eager to throw in with that I guess. (sounds pretty cool to me..)

the idea now of Jeff Beck in the Stones, is hilarious, to me.

can you imagine him doing what Ronnie does? and night after night,

no..you cant.smiling smiley

He also auditioned for Mick Jagger's 1988 tour. Jeff's his own man, and, during 1975, was heading in a jazz fusion direction, so the Stones blues rock, in the main, wouldn't have been challenging enough for him.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2016 22:01

Actually he was offered the guitar job to tour She's The Boss- he turned it down because they wouldn't meet his price and then blasted Jagger in the press for being a cheapskate.

Date: February 16, 2016 22:37

roryfaninva
Actually he was offered the guitar job to tour She's The Boss- he turned it down because they wouldn't meet his price and then blasted Jagger in the press for being a cheapskate.

It was the Primitive Cool tour. No tour for STB.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 17, 2016 08:47

Johnny Thunders would have been intressting...imagine 2 x Keith on the stage...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2016 08:51

Johnny Thunders would have been interesting...imagine 2 x Keith on the stage...

Keef wouldn't been able ta stop LAUGHIN" .... Hey Carlie who's that cat actin' like me?

ROCKMAN

Date: February 17, 2016 09:01

Rockman
Johnny Thunders would have been interesting...imagine 2 x Keith on the stage...

Keef wouldn't been able ta stop LAUGHIN" .... Hey Carlie who's that cat actin' like me?

Mmmm with a Picture of Little Richard above...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 17, 2016 09:53

DartfordRenegade
I was in Ballyshannon, Ireland some years back (birthplace of Rory Gallagher), In a small museum there dedicated to Rory it was claimed that he turned the Stones down after he was offered the position left vacant by Mick Taylor.

Thank God he did. Rory Gallagher was a star in his own right, what would he have been expecting from joining the Stones? Most probably it would have never worked from the start. I always found it ridiculous, too, to consider Eric Clapton as a Stones guitarist.

Posted by: Tubeman ()
Date: February 17, 2016 11:13

Mick Jagger called session guitarist Chris Spedding (Roxy Music / Sex Pistols / Sharks/ Wombles)

The call was made a week before Ronnie got the gig, I don't believe Chris even turned up to Rotterdam, as this call would have been after the Rotterdam auditions.

Source of the audition request is Spedding himself (see link below)

[www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk]

He fit the profile for the Stones being English, and by 1975 was the best session guitarist in the UK, every major artist used him on their recordings. Spedding was pissed off that they were obviously contacting every well known guitarist in the UK, and he was an afterthought until their preferred guitarists accepted - Ronnie a week after he received the call.

Spedding was possibly towards the bottom of their list. The thought of a Womble playing in the Stones is rather scary.

Another possible audition for the Stones was Wilko Johnson, Wilko is rather coy on the subject, stating that his wife talked him out of it as Dr Feelgood were at the height of their success. It is possible it is just a rumour. Wilko would have clashed with Mick Jagger anyhow as he lights to hog the limelight.

Date: February 17, 2016 11:27

I'm pretty damned satisfied with Ronnie...is it only me?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 17, 2016 13:32

Ronnie's done OK for the first 40 years or so ...but time will tell whether he lasts the pace smiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2016 13:36

He's still the new kid, after all...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 17, 2016 13:50

That's right !.

A little more seriously.

He's always been perceived as Keith's [and before that Rod's] "cheeky chappie" sidekick and has been sadly underated over the years as a guitar player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 13:51 by Spud.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home