Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Candidates To Replace Mick Taylor When He Quit The Stones
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2011 15:24

Per Donal Gallagher, Rory went to Rotterdam and jammed for a couple days. Ive seen Bill Wyman confirm it in print so it definitely happened. Beyond question.
Not the right guy for the job, at any rate.
<rf>

Maybe the wrong band for such a player.

Date: September 8, 2011 17:56

DandelionPowderman
Sleepy City
roryfaninva
Gotta assume that Keiths stated preference for Steve Marriott was simply to rankle Jagger- hey lets bring in a legendary singer/frontman to play guitar. Would have been interesting, though.

Could've been good vocally too. I can easily imagine Steve singing those high harmonies on 'Honky Tonk Women' & 'Rocks Off'.

roryfaninva
Ronnie Wood was the best choice at the time- just wish he'd stuck with the fat crunchy "Pool Hall Richard" type sound he was making at the end of the Faces....

Yes, Ronnie was always more impressive with The Faces... & probably still is.

I think he was just as impressive on the 75/76 tours as he was in the Faces. After that, he changed his sound, and the long solos were long gone. Still like him, though.

Agreed. To me he did his best job on several concerts during the 75-76 tour. As if he had to proof himself for being a replacement for Taylor. What happened to him afterwards is still a mystery to me.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 8, 2011 18:56

roryfaninva
Per Donal Gallagher, Rory went to Rotterdam and jammed for a couple days. Ive seen Bill Wyman confirm it in print so it definitely happened. Beyond question.
Not the right guy for the job, at any rate.

But all sessions from the Doelen in late January and early February 1975 are available on tape, with the best 6 hours or so released on CD. The only guitarists that can be heard are Keith, Wayne Perkins and Jeff Beck.

Didn't Rory G jam with part of the Stones some years later?

Mathijs

Date: September 8, 2011 18:57

Amsterdamned
The GR
In Rorys brothers book he claims Rory jammed with the Stones and a few years later he heard the song that he 'wrote' on the radio...Miss You. I've posted this info here many times in the past. Rory was there however for a couple of days before going to Japan. Detail at www.nzentgraf.de

Nils Lofgren claims to have got the call in 75 too.

Yep, and Rory told a simular story about their workflow.
Every guitarist is wrong except Keith.
Why not believe Keith indeed.

about what? Their workflow? No one argues about here, read again. The Stones are known for doing nothing for days in expensive studio's.

Mathijs

Date: September 8, 2011 19:05

about what? Their workflow? No one argues about here, read again. The Stones are known for doing nothing for days in expensive studio's.

<Mathijs>

Dim your tone boy.

That's what I'am talking about when I used the term workflow: They did nothing for days in xpensive studios. Or Keith not showing up and let respected players like Beck or Gallagher wait, which is very impolite btw.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 8, 2011 19:09

DartfordRenegade
uhbuhgullayew
DartfordRenegade
I was in Ballyshannon, Ireland some years back (birthplace of Rory Gallagher), In a small museum there dedicated to Rory it was claimed that he turned the Stones down after he was offered the position left vacant by Mick Taylor.

Really? Whose claim was this?

It was an old article in a music paper that was on display in the museum. It was several years back so I can't remember what paper or who wrote the article. Probably one of the UK music papers of the time like Sounds,Melody Maker, Record Mirror or the New Musical Express.

One version of the tale has Rory turning up in Munich to try out...but Keith was asleep for a couple of days so Rory went home ;^)

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:51

As Rory told it, after a couple days jamming Jagger said youre okay by me but you gotta go talk to Keith. Rory goes to Keiths hotel room several times that night but no one can wake Keith up. Rory has to fly out the next day to tour Japan. Keith later told Rory he was their third choice.

The Marriott story is better- as related to Jerry Shirley by Alan Rogan who was there. After giving him a "lucky scarf" for the audition Keith told Steve you gotta keep cool, dont step on Micks toes. Things started cooking and Marriott couldnt contain himself. A couple years later, the guys in Cheap Trick are on tour staying in a hotel and hear someone blasting what sounds like unreleased Stones- they follow the sound to a room and there in all his drunken coked up glory is the mighty midget himself cranking the tape!

The Marriott audition story I think is in the book "Trower, Derringer, Gallagher and Marriott" and can be previewed on Amazon. The Cheap Trick story was related by Bun E. Carlos.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 8, 2011 22:47

I talked to Chris Spedding about that - and he said that he read in the paper that he was 'on the list' but never received a phone call. Instead of that he produced the demos that made the Sex Pistols famous...
But back to some more likely names: Peter Frampton and Steve Marriott. Both (plus Nicky Hopkins - the band's pianist at the time) play on (Stones Godfather) Alexis Korner's "Get Off - no of - My Cloud" single... Despite the hint at the copmposers the third guitar was played by Keith...
Was that the real Great Guitarrist Hunt rehearsal?!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 10, 2011 12:05

Another melodious guitarist -
Jan Akkerman

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 10, 2011 17:02

Another guitarplayer that was auditioned for shure was Robert A. Johnson from Memphis. I remember a long interview in the 70's where he talked about his days with the Stones and Keith' drugs habits.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 10, 2011 17:05

Some interestings comments & articles about Rory & the Stones here :
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2011 17:09

saltoftheearth
yorkey
Rory with the Stones... Would have been the perfect replacement for Mick.
No, he was better as a 'solo' artist with his own band. His style did not suit the band, and he was far too self-confident to fit in. I am glad he did not join (although a one-off gig would have been great).
A similiar thing would have happened if Eric Clapton had ever joined the band.

Right said for both Rory and Eric...............they were to much solo guy's

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 10, 2011 18:58

Wilko Johnson was mentioned. Dave Edmunds would have been interesting, but I never heard him mentioned. But, really, it was always Woody, everyone knew it. Back in those days, people would have KILLED to see Woody and Keith play together, the Faces were flying high and the Stones were Almighty.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 10, 2011 20:07

BrianJones1969
Robert Johnson was long gone (he died in August 1938 at the famous age of death that is 27).
~Ben

Mmmm...I didn't mean that Robert Johnson, of course he was dead. I meant this one: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: September 10, 2011 20:40

roryfaninva
As Rory told it, after a couple days jamming Jagger said youre okay by me but you gotta go talk to Keith. Rory goes to Keiths hotel room several times that night but no one can wake Keith up. Rory has to fly out the next day to tour Japan. Keith later told Rory he was their third choice.

The Marriott story is better- as related to Jerry Shirley by Alan Rogan who was there. After giving him a "lucky scarf" for the audition Keith told Steve you gotta keep cool, dont step on Micks toes. Things started cooking and Marriott couldnt contain himself. A couple years later, the guys in Cheap Trick are on tour staying in a hotel and hear someone blasting what sounds like unreleased Stones- they follow the sound to a room and there in all his drunken coked up glory is the mighty midget himself cranking the tape!

The Marriott audition story I think is in the book "Trower, Derringer, Gallagher and Marriott" and can be previewed on Amazon. The Cheap Trick story was related by Bun E. Carlos.

Great story about Steve Marriott. Only problem is that he never auditioned not jammed with the Stones.

Mathijs

Date: September 10, 2011 20:41

Amsterdamned

<Mathijs>

Dim your tone boy.

Says who? Just read it again, maybe you then understand. It isn't difficult you know.

Mathijs

Date: September 11, 2011 22:26

Toru A
Another melodious guitarist -
Jan Akkerman

I bet he would have recommended Eelco Gelling, another great Dutch guitarist.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:05

I've read many books about the Stones... and I read some where that Keith had Wayne Perkins pretty much in the band. BUt he was not english, Ronnie was a friend and perfect fit ... however musically Keith's liked Perkins very much.... special his reggae connection... am I wrong?

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:11

Those were the days...

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: February 15, 2016 07:33

Someone asked earlier if Mick Ronson could have handled the axe after Taylor left and after digging out my Bowie DVD of the last live show and watched Ronson play, the answer is YES! You tube The Width of a Circle and watch the whole thing. Plus Ronson played some very Stonesy licks with Watch that Man and The Jean Genie.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 15, 2016 10:55

BrianJones1969
Robert Johnson was long gone (he died in August 1938 at the famous age of death that is 27).

~Ben

NOT this one! winking smiley [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 15, 2016 10:59

Joey Long when he was in Sonny Fishers band ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 15, 2016 14:36

Donald Gallagher recalls the time when his brother Rory almost became a member of the Rolling Stones

[youtu.be]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 15, 2016 20:02

Ok- so heres proof positive and we can lay this controversy to bed once and for all- 2011 interview with the Examiner....

Wyman, who retired from The Stones in 1992, reports that Glimmer Twins Mick Jagger and Keith Richards flew Gallagher out to Holland to rehearse with the Stones after Mick Taylor suddenly exited the group in 1974.

Wyman says, "Rory stayed two or three days there and played some nice stuff. We had a good time with him, but I think Mick and Keith felt that he wasn't the kind of character that would have fit.

"If he'd have been in the Stones, he wouldn't have been singing and that was one of his strong points. He would have just been playing (guitar) solos... and learning to be subservient to two big egos. I don't think it would have worked."

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 15, 2016 20:30

Roy Buchanan claimed he was asked outright and he turned them down cold because he was too unfamiliar with the material.Good choice, the gig would have killed him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-15 20:40 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 15, 2016 20:43

By reading some of these posts it seams to some people think that Mick Taylor was a bust. Really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-15 20:44 by RockinJive.

Date: February 15, 2016 20:49

DoomandGloom
Roy Buchanan claimed he was asked outright and he turned them down cold because he was too unfamiliar with the material.Good choice, the gig would have killed him.

Yes, but that was to replace Brian...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 15, 2016 21:17

Just got into Roy after watching The Departed.

I think, with hindsight, Ronnie was the best candidate to replace Mick Taylor, though, as years have gone by, his role became more and more diminished. Ronnie was better in the Faces than the Stones.

Date: February 15, 2016 21:23

tomcasagranda
Just got into Roy after watching The Departed.

I think, with hindsight, Ronnie was the best candidate to replace Mick Taylor, though, as years have gone by, his role became more and more diminished. Ronnie was better in the Faces than the Stones.

I've seen Roy Buchanan twice in Paradiso, Amsterdam , ..great to have seen him live smiling smiley

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 16, 2016 03:40

I believe I read that Leslie West was supposedly on the list. Jagger appeared on his Great Fatsby solo album but I don't know if he ever auditioned.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home