Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Plundered My Soul... Vote
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:20

There have been a handful of close runs (Saint of Me, Love Is Strong etc) but IMHO Plundered My Soul is the only bona fide titanium-plated, out and out Stones classic since Start Me Up...

Anyone agree?

PS: Yes, I know it's a 'new oldie'

Re: Plundered My Soul... Vote
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:25

No,

When "classic" is defined as: "having a high quality or standard against which other things are judged".

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:33

I respectfully disagree...

The song is universally and almost immediately recognisable as being a pure Stones sound whilst - most importantly - being the only song they've released in decades that (for me) has the sheer joy and pleasure in listening that first drew me to our favourite band all those years ago.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:34

YES

btw I love it more than Start Me Up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:50

marcovandereijk
No,

When "classic" is defined as: "having a high quality or standard against which other things are judged".

I mean: there can only be a limited couple of songs that can be seen as a classic. Everyone
will recognise Jumpin' Jack Flash, or Satisfaction, or Brown Sugar, which makes these songs
"classics". These songs have set the standard. 40 years later it is impossible to create a
new standard. That's why no more classics have appeared or will appear.

Great songs. Yes, they appeared. Numerous.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:53

theres been a hundful of classics since start me up like streets of love and sweethearts together..and latest classic is Following the river imho..or is it Rough Justice...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 14:08

My vote goes for " Don't Stop "

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 14:17

Yup the VIDEO for Plundered is fantastic. Start Me Up's video is so bad, even Jagger is sniggering when he flubs on the lip syncing. It is terrible! Cheesy, and an embarrassment. Plundered is a mystical time machine that links the past with the present. It is awe inspiring seeing he various home movies that play off the cover shots. Love it!

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 5, 2011 16:29

I cannot agree, my list of classics since Tatoo You:
She Was Hot
One Hit (To the Body)
Mixed Emotions
Almost Hear You Sigh
Love Is Strong
The Worst
Out of Tears
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Saint of Me
Too Tight
Don't stop
Rough Justice
Oh No, Not You Again
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Plundered My Soul

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 5, 2011 16:49

I wouldn't necessarily concur with that specific list of "classics" but I agree with the sentiment that they've produced very many high quality songs in the "modern era".

It's certainly the case that many folks seem to judge "classic" works more on the basis of when they were written & recorded than on the basis how good they actually are ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-05 19:10 by Spud.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2011 16:49

Well, I'm with marcovandereijk, although I do think Start Me Up is in that classic bunch.

Next studio album offers up Undercover Of The Night, and I'd say that is next up for classic status.

I'd throw Saint of Me and Under the Radar and Plundered My Soul in that 'bubbling under' tier.

Date: September 5, 2011 16:59

Weaker than:

How Can I Stop
Anybody Seen My Baby
Lowdown
She Was Hot
Undercover Of The Night
Tie You Up
Love Is Strong
The Worst
One Hit (To The Body)
Sleep Tonight
Continental Drift
Almost Hear You Sigh
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Laugh, I Nearly Died
This Place Is Empty

imho

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 5, 2011 17:08

"Plundered My Soul" is nothing more than a mediocre outtake; there are lots of tracks in the vaults that are better by far. PMS has no real elaborate structure, no bridge, a boring product of jamming in my opinion.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 5, 2011 17:51

It has a nice chorus though. The way the song kind of heaves is what makes it work so well.

Classic? No. Good? Absolutely. Best single since Start Me Up.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 5, 2011 17:56

Love IS Strong, is a million miles better than Plundered My Hole. PLMS is the Stones trying to be the Stones too much and failing miserably. In my humble opinion.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 5, 2011 18:33

It's got Mick Taylor, I give it a B plus.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 5, 2011 18:43

A throwaway tune at best.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 5, 2011 18:56

More Hot Rocks

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2011 21:59

Sleepy City
More Hot Rocks

thumbs up

thumbs down

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: September 5, 2011 22:42

Wry Cooter
It's got Mick Taylor, I give it a B plus.
Agree!

thumbs up

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: September 5, 2011 22:54

Agreed

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 23:34

whitem8
Yup the VIDEO for Plundered is fantastic. Start Me Up's video is so bad, even Jagger is sniggering when he flubs on the lip syncing. It is terrible! Cheesy, and an embarrassment. Plundered is a mystical time machine that links the past with the present. It is awe inspiring seeing he various home movies that play off the cover shots. Love it!

Agree.....and with Tomcat above....
PMS has that sense of urgency that we haven't experienced from the Stones in decades. And Jagger's voice, lyrics have a timeless 'looking back' quality. Its beautifully sad and life-affirming at the same time. Like a lost love you can't shake, but are resigned to just let it be.
It's epic.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 6, 2011 06:13

Yes. Completely.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 6, 2011 06:14

stupidguy2
whitem8

Agree.....and with Tomcat above....
PMS has that sense of urgency that we haven't experienced from the Stones in decades. And Jagger's voice, lyrics have a timeless 'looking back' quality. Its beautifully sad and life-affirming at the same time. Like a lost love you can't shake, but are resigned to just let it be.
It's epic.
Good post!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 6, 2011 06:56

How Can I Stop is very much good enough to be considered a classic song. You Got Me Rockin', even though it is a song with "Rock" in the title (cringe), has a classic guitar riff. Almost Hear You Sigh is as good as any other ballad, with the exception of Wild Horses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home